Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Phanatic posted:

That's gotta be a case where the breech was open, right? The barrel's got to contain an explosion that's a hell of a lot more energetic than a grenade, even if the grenade set off a loaded round that'd be inconsequential for the barrel.

Explosives =/= propellants. The localized peak pressure from a grenade is almost certainly higher than even the initial chamber pressure from firing the gun.

A grenade in the barrel is at a minimum going to cause the gun to be unsafe to fire. You are correct that something else went terribly wrong if that single grenade actually killed the tank, though. Even if it ruins the tube, the breech should be shut, and it should contain the damage to the tube itself.

Unless the autoloader had it open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Brain tissue contains lots of low-density fat and a head contains little high-density muscle compared to the value for an entire human body, and the skull is relatively porous with all those sinuses. It should float better than an arm or leg at least. Worse than a torso with air in the lungs and decomposition gases in the gut though. This is 100% idle speculation.

(edited for clarity)

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 15, 2016

ltkerensky
Oct 27, 2010

Biggest lurker to ever lurk.

aphid_licker posted:

Brain tissue contains lots of low-density fat and little high-density muscle compared to your average human and the skull is relatively porous with all those sinuses. It should float better than an arm or leg at least. Worse than a torso with air in the lungs and decomposition gases in the gut though. This is 100% idle speculation.

I love this dead gay forums (fora?)

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Quick someone go do the math on how floaty various body parts would be.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
According to Weight, volume, and center of mass of segments of the human body - CE Clauser, JT McConville, JW Young 1969, the head has an average volume of 4.4 litres but weighs 4.7 kg. Therefore it would not in fact float. :science:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like, I knew in the abstract that was a paper, because agonizing detailed anatomical textbooks predate modern medicine, but it's still weird to know that that is a paper that exists.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
7TP

Queue: 3.7 cm Pak, Renault R35, R35 in German service, Medium Tank T1E1, T-55

Available for request:

:911:
T2E1 Light Tank
Christie Combat Car T1 and Convertible Medium Tank T3
M3A1
Combat Car T4
Medium Tank T1E1

:britain:
Medium Tank Mk.II
Medium Tank Mk.III
A1E1 Independent
Vickers Mk.E NEW

:ussr:
LTP
T-37 with ShKAS
ZIK-20
T-12 and T-24
T-55
HTZ-16
Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38
SG-122

:sweden:
Otto Merker's tanks
Strv m/38 and m/39

:poland:
TK-3/TKS
Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR
37 mm anti-tank gun

:japan:
SR tanks
Type 95

:france:
Renault NC
Renault D1
Renault R35
Renault D2
Renault R40

:godwin:
PzI Ausf. B
PzI Ausf. C NEW
PzII Ausf. a though b
PzIII Ausf. A
PzIII Ausf. B through D
PzIV Ausf. A through C

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 16, 2016

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Fangz posted:

According to Weight, volume, and center of mass of segments of the human body - CE Clauser, JT McConville, JW Young 1969, the head has an average volume of 4.4 litres but weighs 4.7 kg. Therefore it would not in fact float. :science:

Welp I tried :saddowns:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

quote:

The scandal was settled by lowering the cost of the shipment: down to 3165 pounds sterling per tank from 3165

Might be a slight error here

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Whoops, fixed it. Supposed to be £3800.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fangz posted:

That density is probably part of why Dexter Filkins mentioned in The Forever War that suicide bombers in Iraq naturally ended up with their bodies destroyed and all over the immediate area but the head would more often than not pop off in the explosion and lend up more or less intact a block or two away.

my dad posted:

Might be a slight error here

If you take the current rate of GBP devaluation it probably was cheaper the second time he wrote the number.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

FAUXTON posted:

If you take the current rate of GBP devaluation it probably was cheaper the second time he wrote the number.

:drat:

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Fangz posted:

What about in salt water

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

What about in salt water

Sea water is only like ~3% more dense than fresh so it still wouldn't float.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
What about the Dead Sea?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
What if you were just in the middle of blowing a chewing gum bubble when your head was ripped off

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
What about in an oil slick from a sinking ship

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Sigh, my googling is failing me.

In Hoi4 I want to try to structure my divisions as some optimal version of what the Soviets used but I can't seem to find anything.

Does anyone know what was the structure of a 1943:
-Tank Division; what's the difference between a Guards vs. non-Guards?
-Infantry Division.
-Motor-Rifle Division?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

MrYenko posted:

Explosives =/= propellants. The localized peak pressure from a grenade is almost certainly higher than even the initial chamber pressure from firing the gun.

A grenade in the barrel is at a minimum going to cause the gun to be unsafe to fire. You are correct that something else went terribly wrong if that single grenade actually killed the tank, though. Even if it ruins the tube, the breech should be shut, and it should contain the damage to the tube itself.

Unless the autoloader had it open.

On the phone now, but the tank and the grenade vid is one of the staged ones.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

What about a head with no brain left in it? Those things are mushy and prone to leak out when the skull is subjected to penetrative force.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

well if all the brain's gone, then water will just get in through whatever hole the brain escaped through.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

What if the head was a bloody handprint on a volleyball

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

FAUXTON posted:

What if the head was a bloody handprint on a volleyball

That's Gay Black Wilson territory, I'm afraid.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nenonen posted:

In WW2 US light tanks used 37mm canister, it was a preference in the Pacific jungles to clear bushes. Some medium guns used it too, but they might have been delayed burst shells, I don't remember.

Post-WW2 it has been used in Vietnam (flechette) and Iraq at least. From the M1 Abrams article in WP:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

In Hoi4 I want to try to structure my divisions as some optimal version of what the Soviets used but I can't seem to find anything.

-Infantry Division.
-Motor-Rifle Division?

Have you looked at niehorster?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Medium Tank T1E1 please.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

What about a head with no brain left in it? Those things are mushy and prone to leak out when the skull is subjected to penetrative force.
if the brain is gone or once it has decomposed, the head will float

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

T-55 please!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

PittTheElder posted:

Hey Gal, is it at all clear in whatever archives you go digging into just how long opposing pike blocks would be in active contact with one another? Curious how long it takes before one side breaks through or withdraws.

Also, battle casualties are horrendously high for your guys right? I think you posted a graph once that showed regimental strength over time, and you could see the fall around major battles; are most of those guys dying/deserting, or is there a huge number of wounded that eventually recover (assuming their side holds the field at the end of the day I guess)?
For the first question, I'm not sure. Battles can last a long time, but during that time you might see individual battalions just standing there not doing very much, fighting other infantry, or withstanding cavalry charges or artillery attacks.

For the second question, although battle casualties for the 17th and 18th century are higher than they will be later, most losses are due to illness or desertion. A 17th century army is constantly losing strength no matter what you do, and its authorities are constantly recruiting in an attempt to make up for this.

The question of wounded and the effects of the numbers of wounded is difficult to answer, since sometimes they end up being left behind once the army begins to travel again--whether you won or not. (Wallenstein did this several times, for instance.) Then they might catch up, they might die, or they might be taken prisoner if the place where they were is taken by the enemy.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Ensign Expendable posted:

7TP

Queue: 3.7 cm Pak, Renault R35

Available for request:

T2E1 Light Tank
Christie Combat Car T1 and Convertible Medium Tank T3
M3A1
Combat Car T4
Medium Tank T1E1

Medium Tank Mk.II
Medium Tank Mk.III
A1E1 Independent
Vickers Mk.E NEW

LTP
T-37 with ShKAS
ZIK-20
T-12 and T-24
T-55
HTZ-16
Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38
SG-122

:sweden:
Otto Merker's tanks
Strv m/38 and m/39

:poland:
TK-3/TKS
Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR
37 mm anti-tank gun

:japan:
SR tanks
Type 95

:france:
Renault NC
Renault D1
Renault R35
Renault D2
Renault R40

:godwin:
PzI Ausf. B
PzI Ausf. C NEW
PzII Ausf. a though b
PzIII Ausf. A
PzIII Ausf. B through D
PzIV Ausf. A through C
Renault R35 in German service
37 mm Pak

Curious about the R35, both French and German, the 37mm, and the Strvs.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Raenir Salazar posted:

-Infantry Division.
-Motor-Rifle Division?

On mobile, so can't really get into translating it, but this page is what you need.

There is no structural difference between a guards and a non-guards unit. A Guards unit excelled in combat and gets paid more as a result. The only exception being heavy tank breakthrough units who received their guards status in advance, as they were expected to excel.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

So I was watching some videos from "Military History Visualized" narrated by a German dude, I don't recall in particular if any of the ones I saw rang any alarm bells but of course his comments appear to be inundated by cancer.

I linked Ensign Expendable blog and got this response:

:smith:

We appreciate you Ensign Expendable. :unsmith:

was that actually the MHV guy? A lot more political then I expected from him.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

FAUXTON posted:

Sea water is only like ~3% more dense than fresh so it still wouldn't float.

What about if you get decapitated next to a giant vat of grape soda & your head falls in.

Edit: Oh man would your head float on a river of blood? That would be a great visual for a metal vid. Assume anti-coagulants.

Rodrigo Diaz fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 15, 2016

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Monocled Falcon posted:

was that actually the MHV guy? A lot more political then I expected from him.

The comment was from a random youtube commenter, MHV narrator only strikes me as slightly political, but it isn't something I can put my finger on without rewatching it.

On mobile, so can't really get into translating it, but this page is what you need.

There is no structural difference between a guards and a non-guards unit. A Guards unit excelled in combat and gets paid more as a result. The only exception being heavy tank breakthrough units who received their guards status in advance, as they were expected to excel.

Thanks! Does the page you link also mention what a Heavy Tank breakthrough division looks like?

edit: Putting it into google translate, I see "Brigades", "Shelves" (Regiments?) and "Battalions", Hearts of Iron 4 operates on a division-is-four-regiments structures. Would a "Brigade" be my version of a "Division"?

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 15, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

What about if you get decapitated next to a giant vat of grape soda & your head falls in.

Edit: Oh man would your head float on a river of blood? That would be a great visual for a metal vid. Assume anti-coagulants.

Probably. Blood has a specific gravity of 1.0621 I believe, while plain water is 1.00 and salt water is around 1.02.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Would your disembodied head float on a river of dark chocolate syrup?

I need to know for reasons.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Would your disembodied head float on a river of dark chocolate syrup?

I need to know for reasons.

Sounds like the next Willy Wonka movie is going to be really weird.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Raenir Salazar posted:

The comment was from a random youtube commenter, MHV narrator only strikes me as slightly political, but it isn't something I can put my finger on without rewatching it.

Thanks! Does the page you link also mention what a Heavy Tank breakthrough division looks like?

edit: Putting it into google translate, I see "Brigades", "Shelves" (Regiments?) and "Battalions", Hearts of Iron 4 operates on a division-is-four-regiments structures. Would a "Brigade" be my version of a "Division"?

Ahaha, oh Google. Yes, полки is both shelves and regiments, depending on what syllable you stress.

There is no such thing as a heavy tank breakthrough division. Tank divisions were abandoned as a formation in 1941. A heavy tank brigade contains three heavy tank regiments, which is close to what you want.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

There is no such thing as a heavy tank breakthrough division. Tank divisions were abandoned as a formation in 1941.

"Stalin? How many tank divisions does he have?"
- the Pope, ca. 1943

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
3.7 cm Pak

Queue: Renault R35, R35 in German service, Medium Tank T1E1, T-55, Strv m/38 and m/39, Vickers E, Christie Combat Car T1/Convertible Medium Tank T3

Available for request:

T2E1 Light Tank

M3A1
Combat Car T4

Medium Tank Mk.II
Medium Tank Mk.III
A1E1 Independent
Vickers Mk.E

LTP