Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The trees really hem you in up on the heights there. The only area you have LOS to is a narrow section of the road to the east indicated on this quick map.

It may end up being useful at some point, but I suspect we're going to clear out of this location and be moving to the south soon enough. Don't worry about amending orders. I just wanted to clear up that there is almost no LOS to anything up on these heights because of trees; the entire rest of the eastern map is blocked. I wish I could get a screen shot working so I could show the view.

Edit: fraps works and shows the trees. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y00MLJ7ZufU

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

glynnenstein posted:

The trees really hem you in up on the heights there. The only area you have LOS to is a narrow section of the road to the east indicated on this quick map.

It may end up being useful at some point, but I suspect we're going to clear out of this location and be moving to the south soon enough. Don't worry about amending orders. I just wanted to clear up that there is almost no LOS to anything up on these heights because of trees; the entire rest of the eastern map is blocked. I wish I could get a screen shot working so I could show the view.

Edit: fraps works and shows the trees. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y00MLJ7ZufU

Oh it is all good, I kind of noticed my post could sound sarcastic and rude but I didn't mean it that way. You are my commander and I'll follow your orders no matter what they are.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
This map is loving huge. Deceptively huge.

After looking at it more I don't think that 3rd Coy's other tanks would be able to make it far enough to get LoS for the Turkey shoot before it ends. It's like 250m at least, through non-optimal terrain. I was thinking it was more "peek around a house." So that tempers my previous calls for aggression.

I definitely wouldn't send both tanks to do this - keep one back, and keep it behind some hard cover in case they do sneak poo poo into Mirage Island. That's my opinion at least - but of course it's up to Phi/Frozen what 3rd Coy's tanks do.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

It's all good. I'm just making sure everyone knows the terrain.

Anyway, I think most of these combat mission let's plays need more sub-unit commander agency, not less!

Forrums Terrorist: I linked your orders post into the spreadsheet from last turn since we'll continue it. You might be moving forward sooner than later, too.

Fray: consider ammending orders to stay in vehicles in case we move forward more quickly. Your call, especially if we develop sound contacts. I linked your previous orders post into the spreadsheet. I also made a video of where your current orders are sending you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CbOfiJeH20

If anyone in 1st Company has requests for LOS or POV clips just let me know. I'll try to make those as I make new orders, too.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 14, 2016

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I don't think it will be a problem, but I'm going to be away this weekend. I've already done this round's orders, someone fill in for the next round if needed. I should be back late saturday, US time.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Davin Valkri posted:

Orders - Support Coy

1 Mortar Battery: LINE barrage as follows, LIGHT intensity, MEDIUM duration, IMMEDIATE. Intent is to suppress scouts/ATGM teams in/around Mirage Island that may have crossed Victory Road to drop shells on our heads.

We don't have anyone in game that can call that in. When my FO team arrives, they'll be able to. But they are exhausted, and I wouldn't expect them to get into position this turn.

Also, Davin, you have an FO team in a Ural truck that is sitting with the mortar battery. Did you want to roll them out somewhere?

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Hmmm, I thought everyone could call in artillery? Or is having a radio not enough.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

professor_curly posted:

Hmmm, I thought everyone could call in artillery? Or is having a radio not enough.

I guess only for the US. All Russian HQ units can. The mortar call-in time for the FOs is 4 minutes. For 3/5 HQ tank, it's 5 minutes.

Ed. now that I mention it, actually 3/5 HQ tank can call in that mission (or something very close to it). He can't quite see the whole tree line, but I would imagine it would be close enough.

Ed. again: how many tubes is this mission supposed to use?

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Battalion HQ assets

FO team
No change.

Bat. command BTRs
No change.

FAC team
No change.

HQ tank
Time to get Jobbo_Fett into the action. Move out as shown: green reverse, yellow move quick, and magenta is hunt)
If one of 3/5

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

abelian posted:

Ed. again: how many tubes is this mission supposed to use?

One battery's worth. I guess that's 3 tubes total.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Davin Valkri posted:

One battery's worth. I guess that's 3 tubes total.

Ok, probably worth editing your orders to clarify, since they can call in anywhere from 1 to 6 tubes. Also, not sure how Generation Internet is going to handle the orders, but probably best if we make sure FrozenLiquidity can put in a reminder to call in the mission.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013
I'll try to have orders in tomorrow as I'm currently in Berlin scouting for our next advances. :v:

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Katz - the orders are due in ~6 hours. Is it ok if Phi puts in something for you, if necessary?

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

ORDERS - 1/3

Per Roll20 it sounds like 1st coy's intentions are still in flux, but I'm about to get on a plane and need to put something down. This should get me positioned for a possible move south into Jagged and help Hubis with perimeter security.

Continue previous orders for my BTRs, except change destination as shown in yellow. Dismount at end of yellow line and move infantry QUICK to marked dots. FACE infantry south. At the end of the path, please position the BTRs in a column pointed west.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

professor_curly posted:

Katz - the orders are due in ~6 hours. Is it ok if Phi puts in something for you, if necessary?

Oh sorry, in that case yes please!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ill be home soon

FrozenLiquidity
Jun 10, 2016

:siren: 3/5 ORDERS :siren:

HQ Tank
No change.

Tank 1 (on hill near tower)
No change.

Tank 2 (currently engaged)
Stop missing. More double-kills. If this unit is not currently engaged with any targets at the end of a turn, then please have him reverse slightly to the yellow circle.

Otherwise, stay put and continue to engage enemy units.

Call-in
Please process the following fire mission from my units - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792674&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=10#post465289079

FrozenLiquidity fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 14, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've been super busy this week and it turns out 3 Coy did all their orders perfectly in accordance with command's wishes

I am proud of my little soviets

anyway keep the 3 Coy HQ units on their original orders and have them stay put once they're done with those orders

3 Coy HQ will be the baseline of the 1st Phase Line in case of retreat. The lynchpin of the first defensive position, if you will.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
HUGE QUESTION FOR ARTY

does Personnel arty work in forests???

We should do some light arty on that treeline near Victory Road where we killed the first the BTR.

AFTER

we shell the poo poo out of their BTR column

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I dunno specific effectiveness but airbursting personnel arty will eventually destroy all the trees in a forest so there you go :v:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Orders are final

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Generation Internet posted:

Orders are final

:munch:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I'm on the edge of my seat for this turn

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlX98jpb5zM

Forgot to make a NATO replay save this turn so neither team will get one :rip:

Next orders will be due Sunday at 18:00 EST

Two minute turns continue so plan accordingly.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
I did a quick test of the Kornet ATGMs in the editor. They should start deploying as soon as they stop moving; seems to take about 1.5 minutes to get fully deployed.

The enemy tank is a BM Oplot, a modern Ukrainian T-84 variant that's probably superior to our T-90s. (ed. to add: it also contains a Varta electro-optical jamming system, which should be able to defeat our ATGMs pretty handily).

Either they're not headed for Mt Silver, or we overestimated how quickly they're able to move out. I think recon should keep pushing forward as aggressively as possible, and 2 coy inf units should push across Mt Silver toward Ravaged Path. 2 coy tanks are in a great keyhole position; we can possibly also get a tank looking down hill from Ravaged Path.

I think it might be wise for 1 coy tanks to re-attach to 2 coy and follow up behind the battalion recon; getting tanks into advanced positions has worked well for us, and if the enemy is conceding control of the map, we should take advantage.

Also, where are the Americans?

abelian fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Oct 15, 2016

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I've never been impressed with BM Oplots; they always still suck in the games I play. In any case, we do need to get more than one tank seeing the same targets; because being outnumbered will get it killed whether or not the Ukrainians are better.

I guess the terrain in the west is just preventing even sound contacts. We'll need to be careful not to be too aggressive in the close woods and passes and find ourselves surprised by a stronger force.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 15, 2016

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Company Commanders

I have some questions for you guys, and want your feedback on several ideas.

1st Coy
-How quickly could you turn around/divert 1st and 2nd Platoons down the highway, to follow up and support an aggressive push for critical terrain by 2nd Coy?
-Do you mind splitting your tank forces, so that 3rd Platoon and a tank act as a rear-element continuing south to catch any aggressive movements heading that way?

2nd Coy
-How do you feel about remounting 3rd Platoon, and moving it plus two tanks south across the Danger Zone to set up at the Ravaged Path/Fiery Path cross-road. One tank with 1st Platoon will continue to guard the crossroads itself, with 1st Coy diverting to provide reinforcements.

3rd Coy
-How do you feel about moving the reserve platoons to take 2nd Coy's positions along the road. You'll be out of sight from the enemy, and have a good axis of movement to move where needed, but also be set up in the most important strategic location as a failsafe in case everything else starts to go wrong.
-Do you think your current position can hold if the enemy attempts to force an engagement along Route 23?

Battalion Command
-I believe the situation is changed - our 3rd Coy armor didn't actually die, so our battalion tank can shift priorities. How quickly could it move to the highway to support 2nd Coy 1st Platoon in guarding the highway crossroads from Mount Silver?
-I think it is worthwhile to move our HQ location to the highway itself, and recommend setting up a new forward base around the Avenue of Champions/Berry Fields area. Do you agree?

Support Coy
-Could you bring our engineers forward and set them up along the highway as well?

Also who wants to take over Recon Platoon for Decoy in the meantime? He has to be gone for a week, and so needs a replacement. There are some special missions that Recon needs to do in the next few turns for all of this to work.

FrozenLiquidity
Jun 10, 2016

Generation Internet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlX98jpb5zM

Forgot to make a NATO replay save this turn so neither team will get one :rip:

Next orders will be due Sunday at 18:00 EST

Two minute turns continue so plan accordingly.

Brown trousers time for 3/5 Tank 2.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I'll try to get an orders post up late tonight (eastern time) for 1st Company. Roll20 discussion ongoing so we will see how it shapes out. For now, thinking Koolkev666 will push toward the western edge then south to trees with a view to anchor our line near Mt Pyre, Fray will traverse the meadow and get a line into the woods south of there, with Forums Terrorist filling in the space between that and Hubis.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Alright, based on our scouting information so far I don't believe they are pushing west at all, or if they it is going very slowly. Based on that, I think that if we move quickly we can greatly extend our control of the map and narrow our frontage significantly, allowing us to have depth as well as tight coverage which we currently lack.

This is a bit of a gambit, but if it works then I think it will greatly enhance our chances of winning while not being overly risky in the grand scheme of things.

1st Coy - Glynn, I think the orders we discussed before are good. But I think you can take advantage of the wooded terrain to defend Jagged Pass and the surrounding hills without needing your tanks. I request that you shift command of your tank platoon over to 2nd Coy temporarily, and for you to plan your defense accordingly.

2nd Coy - I think that 3rd Coy has a handle on the primary thrust coming up from Route 23. Therefor I think your focus can now change to defending from the South and the South-east. We've identified a major keyhole position that I've dubbed The Iron Curtain above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKuBzrXcixg

If we can establish a commanding position here with armor, supported by infantry guarding from enemy ATGM squads, then we effectively cut NATO forces off from the western half of the map. If we can accomplish this, then 1st Coy can redeploy to tighten the noose as needed. Time is of the essence, but be aware you may discover NATO forces at close range in doing this. Your A zone will likely need to defend against dismounted infantry teams advancing through the woods, or slow moving transport vehicles. Your B zone includes the Iron Curtain, and more likely armored contacts and fast moving mechanized forces. If Glynn agrees, you will also have 1st Coy Armor to allocate to this defense as necessary. How you use your assets is up to you.

3rd Coy - Whatever force is required to comfortably repulse an attack from Route 23 should remain in your A Zone. Any reserve platoons/forces should be sent to your B zone and deploy along the highway. If needed they have the road to quickly move out, and if everything goes to poo poo they'll be deployed on the road to hold as best as possible. What ratio goes where is up to you.

Support Coy - I think we can move our engineers up to the highway as well. Otherwise keep doing what you're doing.

Recon - I like the recon guys on top of Mount Silver, but we need eyes in the south. Please get spots on the Fiery Path and Ravaged Path as soon as possible.

Let me know if you have questions or concerns about this plan.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I thought the objective of our engineers was to save them for an attack on the village, but I guess keeping them in the back is just likely to get them killed.

Very well.

Orders - Support

Engineers are chopped to 3rd Company to deploy as they see fit.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

professor_curly posted:

[
Recon - I like the recon guys on top of Mount Silver, but we need eyes in the south. Please get spots on the Fiery Path and Ravaged Path as soon as possible.

Let me know if you have questions or concerns about this plan.

The recon on Mt Silver is hiding right now. Being hidden, their spotting is degraded. As I see it, they need to not be using the "hide" order to be useful, and we should fix that asap.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Hubis posted:

The recon on Mt Silver is hiding right now. Being hidden, their spotting is degraded. As I see it, they need to not be using the "hide" order to be useful, and we should fix that asap.

Hiding doesn't just degrade spotting; it more or less eliminates it. The way the game works, units who are hiding will not spot a tank until it is right on top of them. Our recon units should not be hiding, except in dire emergencies.

FrozenLiquidity
Jun 10, 2016

abelian posted:

Hiding doesn't just degrade spotting; it more or less eliminates it. The way the game works, units who are hiding will not spot a tank until it is right on top of them. Our recon units should not be hiding, except in dire emergencies.

Pretty much this. Found this out the hard way in one of the previous combat mission games.

Tanks can literally roll up on troops that are hiding and still not be "seen".

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Orders for 3 Company 2 Platoon 'Concerned Ukrainian Citizens' and Battalion ATGM platoon 'Lost Muscovite Football Team'

Rifle Group
Up the pace to quick. Move as shown:

Don't dismount any troops.

ATGM carriers 1 & 2.
No new orders. I have a feeling the little pixel troops will deploy and engage of their own volition based on their status at the end of last turn.

3 Coy Weapons Platoon 'Humanitarian Convoy'
Move in convoy formation to this intersection ASAP:

Could a game haver tell me if the HQ can use the radios in the BTR? I figure it would probably stay in contact better by remaining mounted if that was the case.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I completely disagree with the thought that they aren't going west. Where else are 3 companies hiding? They aren't in the east. I think they are going west in force. I hope to have orders updated around noon tomorrow.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Jaguars! posted:

Could a game haver tell me if the HQ can use the radios in the BTR? I figure it would probably stay in contact better by remaining mounted if that was the case.

Yeah, I think all your BTRs are actually fairly modern and have Constellation satellite up-links inside them that facilitate C2 links.

quote:

The BTR-82 is the latest production version of the BTR-80 in frontline Russian service. The BTR-82 boasts a variety of improvements and modernizations over the BTR-80. The vehicle was first publicly revealed in 2009, and officially began service in 2010. The BTR-82 has slightly enhanced protection against heavy machine gun rounds, as well as a spall liner to further protect crew and passengers. A double hull has been added for additional protection against mines, and an automatic fire extinguisher system has been installed. A modernized version of the Tucha smoke grenade is equipped, replacing the older black smoke that required extra time to form a screen with new bursting IR-blocking white smoke that forms a concealment screen almost immediately. The BTR-82 is equipped with the new BPPU turret, although it retains its original armament unlike the BTR-82A (see below). The night vision device has been replaced with a modern TKN-4GA sight and a GLONASS navigation system has been installed. Mobility has been improved with a new transmission, suspension, and a 300 hp engine, giving the BTR-82 a maximum road speed of 100 km/h.

So they can definitely use radios and I think it might actually be more efficient since they have GLONASS access.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

professor_curly posted:

2nd Coy - I think that 3rd Coy has a handle on the primary thrust coming up from Route 23. Therefor I think your focus can now change to defending from the South and the South-east. We've identified a major keyhole position that I've dubbed The Iron Curtain above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKuBzrXcixg

If we can establish a commanding position here with armor, supported by infantry guarding from enemy ATGM squads, then we effectively cut NATO forces off from the western half of the map. If we can accomplish this, then 1st Coy can redeploy to tighten the noose as needed. Time is of the essence, but be aware you may discover NATO forces at close range in doing this. Your A zone will likely need to defend against dismounted infantry teams advancing through the woods, or slow moving transport vehicles. Your B zone includes the Iron Curtain, and more likely armored contacts and fast moving mechanized forces. If Glynn agrees, you will also have 1st Coy Armor to allocate to this defense as necessary. How you use your assets is up to you.

I'm not too enthusiastic about the plan as is. While I think striking south is a good goal, and will allow us to attack the town from good positions, I think 1st Co needs to be a much bigger part of this. Half my forces (2nd Platoon, 4th Platoon including our ATGM, and the grenade launcher platoon on loan from Davin) are all still crossing Flo, behind 1st Co. Putting NastyToes' 3rd Platoon way out on Ravaged Path like that, with no cover to their rear should they be attacked in force, is very risky. I'll order it, but I want glynn pushing to Lava Ridge immediately rather than later.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

dublish posted:

I'm not too enthusiastic about the plan as is. While I think striking south is a good goal, and will allow us to attack the town from good positions, I think 1st Co needs to be a much bigger part of this. Half my forces (2nd Platoon, 4th Platoon including our ATGM, and the grenade launcher platoon on loan from Davin) are all still crossing Flo, behind 1st Co. Putting NastyToes' 3rd Platoon way out on Ravaged Path like that, with no cover to their rear should they be attacked in force, is very risky. I'll order it, but I want glynn pushing to Lava Ridge immediately rather than later.

I can try to accelerate my getting into position in the woods south of Jagged Pass. I think at least getting a firm line abreast in those woods even if we don't have scouting on the other side is critical to make sure we don't end up being flanked.

Next turn we will have recon with eyes on the south side of the woods I think? That should put us on a much better position to make decisions on their disposition and intentions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

This is my blind guess as to the positions of the enemy right now. I haven't simulated enemy movement or anything like that, but based on the open terrain passes they have and how we have moved through that type of terrain, I think this is their approximate disposition (or at least what I would operate off of).

It's possible they are slower than this, but I don't think it would be much because I don't think their chokepoints are as restrictive as ours have been. Of course, I also don't know where their spawn area was so maybe I'm more off one way or another.

My concern with being aggressive is that I think there's little chance we can get to the forward positions for 2nd company before the enemy are on top of them. Being caught moving into position would be bad and I think we should instead try to choose terrain to meet them from decent defensive positions, sitting still for best shooting and spotting. The move with 1st Company tanks on the far western flank that we discussed seems risky to me, and that's all the way at the far end of the map.

The other issue is those positions are well ahead of even our most advanced units with a lot of our weight lagging far behind. I favor a much more conservative center of gravity with more aggressive moves on the flanks rather than the middle.

• Locked thread