Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

It's a problem with either your connection or your connection's route to the download server... there's not really anything we can do to troubleshoot that and any suggestions would be to either get a new ISP or use a VPN service unless there's a problem with your computer's networking card/drivers.

Jesus. This is already going to take six hours. Downloading through a VPN would take all weekend and I'm not about to get a new ISP because I can't download one specific game when everything else works great.

Perhaps resubbing was a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Maybe you should get a new ISP, that sounds slow.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

Jesus. This is already going to take six hours. Downloading through a VPN would take all weekend and I'm not about to get a new ISP because I can't download one specific game when everything else works great.

Perhaps resubbing was a mistake.

The problem is likely that a peering connection between your ISP and Canada is overloaded at night leading to packet loss. The downloader is freaking out when its losing a packet after which it stops.

Your download will probably mysteriously work fine in the middle of the night or tomorrow morning. Tell level3 to upgrade their international link from the US into Montreal or kick everyone in Montreal off netflix.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Maybe you should get a new ISP, that sounds slow.

It isn't that slow for anything else at all, is the thing. FFXIV is the only thing I've had this kind of problem with.

hobbesmaster posted:

The problem is likely that a peering connection between your ISP and Canada is overloaded at night leading to packet loss. The downloader is freaking out when its losing a packet after which it stops.

Your download will probably mysteriously work fine in the middle of the night or tomorrow morning. Tell level3 to upgrade their international link from the US into Montreal or kick everyone in Montreal off netflix.

This was happening at about 7 a.m. CST today, too, when I tried to start the download before work, so I don't think I can really blame it on time of day. :smith:

Harrow fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 15, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You can just use the wtfast free trial if level3 is your problem.

And after that, mudfish with 3 dollars last like 4 hardcore months. A lot cheaper than switching isp.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tae posted:

You can just use the wtfast free trial if level3 is your problem.

And after that, mudfish with 3 dollars last like 4 hardcore months. A lot cheaper than switching isp.

I'll give that a shot if it fucks up a couple more times. I just tried some router magic so we'll see.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

My internet is super hosed and I can't really play dungeons without a vpn. Bought mudfish like close to 2 months ago, I spent like 50 cents worth of time with it on all the time. It's seriously basically no cost.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Somehow I always assumed a VPN would slow me down, not speed me up, on account of going through an external service. Huh.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The level3/FF14 case is a very specific problem, mudfish/wtfast basically keeps the link stable because lost packets are basically dropped connections. I "disconnect" like 30 times during a dungeon run if I didn't have a VPN.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tae posted:

The level3/FF14 case is a very specific problem, mudfish/wtfast basically keeps the link stable because lost packets are basically dropped connections. I "disconnect" like 30 times during a dungeon run if I didn't have a VPN.

I can't seem to make WTFast actually establish a connection for FFXIV. Maybe it's waiting for the actual game to open and doesn't work with the updater or something, I dunno.

gently caress this is frustrating.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Harrow posted:

Somehow I always assumed a VPN would slow me down, not speed me up, on account of going through an external service. Huh.

It's like taking a detour when you're driving. If all the roads are clear and you take a slightly longer road, you're going to take slightly longer to get there. But if the shorter road is currently experiencing a 12 car pileup...

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

:cry: But I liked the scythes :cry:

Same dude. I was that idiot warrior dinging 30 with silver mail gear and a zaghnal and then I died and had already sold my silver gear for centurion 30 gear and had to have a buddy power level me back up to 30 :qq:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
The only thing I was most proud of as a dark knight in xi in zilart and aht urghan was being really loving good at Stun

And clearing the level 70 limit break at 66 when a guy in my ls failed it 5 times at 70

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

MCH is the one closest tied to Ishgard but it's pretty much just a logical progression based on their Dragonkiller Harpoon cannons. Also because Cid's too busy doing Cid things to teach every WoL shmuck how to shoot a gun.

And then they had their own AST school but they were a bunch of lazy jerks who wanted to avoid actual combat because they could get by in the Ishgardian military just sitting around divining the dragons' movements.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've been using pingzapper, which is much cheaper than WTFast. Since 3.4 I haven't had any issues at all. Constant disconnects was a huge problem for me toward the end of 3.35 though.

With the announcement that they're upgrading the servers for 4.0, I'm holding out hope for better pings.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It isn't the servers though (well, mostly), it's Level 3 being useless fucks with a horrible backbone.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Did any FanFest goons catch what's up with the merch sales tomorrow? I was hip-deep in the Proto Ultima fight when they made the announcement, but it kind of sounded like I'm hosed because I wasn't in line when it closed.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
There's a live letter today on Saturday. I hope they go deeper into what the battle system changes are.

I am cautiously hopeful we will see some ability to customize jobs beyond cross class skills. Which have already been confirmed to go through redesign.

Strict, job based roles sound like they have been working well so far and are easier to balance so I doubt huge changes are coming.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

live letter's gonna be about 3.45 and 3.5, not stormblood

more stormblood will be in december

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'd gotten this on steam ages ago on a whim.

Pretty sure it was on sale, too.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Doesn't mean there aren't some gradual changes on the road to 4.0. Maybe stuff that was previously mentioned for change (parry, accuracy on stream) changes between now and next year, to pave the road for bigger changes.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Scarlet Witch shirt is obviously a reference to the character's core and original power of being able to alter probability. Gambler confirmed for Stormblood.

It will be a healer.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Mr. Locke posted:

Scarlet Witch shirt is obviously a reference to the character's core and original power of being able to alter probability. Gambler confirmed for Stormblood.

It will be a healer.

we already have astrologian, which is gambler

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Dancer is new lvl 60 unlockable super monk and gambler is the same for astrologian. Each of the new super jobs gets a new weapon (dancer uses castanets and gambler dice).

WAR is the exception as they get dual wielding.

Scholar and summoner get a laptop.

Gold Saucer (savage) is the new savage++ raid.

Edit: making savage story a mandatory Manderville story chapter

jyrque fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 15, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
You fools, clearly it's corsair.

And then I can live my dream of being a gun-wielding pirate queen~

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 15, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The best recruit looks great at level 40

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Has anyone tried changing the "special" recruits off their starting class? Do they change their gear to something special for those, too?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
They keep their gear.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Has anyone tried changing the "special" recruits off their starting class? Do they change their gear to something special for those, too?

I changed the pirate lady Au Ra whose name I'm blanking on at the moment (Khorchi?) from Pugilist to Lancer and her outfit stayed the same.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kinda wish the special gear recruits had special weapons too. The big Titan bow kind of ruins the bunny girl aesthetic.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I think that the mystery girl from the Stormblood trailer bears striking resemblances to Ursula from Final Fantasy IV: the After Years, pictured here:

I do not think that the mystery woman is actually her (or Yda for that matter), but I still think it's worth pointing out.

SilverSupernova posted:

I remember seeing someone say that most of Raubahn's abilities and weapon from his duel closely resembled those of Blue Mages several months back (weapon taken from a Blue Mage weapon from 11 and most of his attacks resembling some monster skills). Perhaps we actually are getting a tank mage.

This may be partially due to the fact that Raubahn's character is himself a gigantic reference to a Blue Mage in FFXI. Raubahn in that game was the leader of the Immortal Lions (which is also similar in name to the Immortal Flames). Raubahn of XIV is a former coliseum champion. Upon gaining his title, he receives the sword Tizona... which is also the relic sword for Blue Mages in XI.

Harrow posted:

Having not yet played Heavensward: are Machinist, Dark Knight, and Astrologian tied especially to Ishgard? I'm curious how much the expansion's setting matters when trying to speculate about new jobs.

I've kind of been beaten with this, but... the Dark Knights in their own story are vagrants who lend a hand to those who have been displaced and damned by their own society. The Warrior of Light enters Ishgard and finds an enormous cultural divide between the noble and poor castes. The Dark Knights do not originally come from Coerthas but stay in order to dispense vigilante justice, or revenge, depending on how people see it. I don't know if they actually say where they are originally from.

Vorless posted:

What does this mean for Baph :ohdear:

Baph, wherever you are, I just wanna say that when I heard that PS3 support was dropping, I was sad just because I know you still play on it and I don't want that to hinder you. I hope that when servers change over, you will continue to play on one of the remaining options.

With love, your friend Knives

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy
Someone start a gofundme to get Baph a ps4

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

If they're smart they'll do a price drop on Heavensward either before or when Stormblood comes out. As it stands though you're looking at two full price expansions.

It's worth waiting until the end of Fanfest no matter what, just in case they announce they're doing the WoW thing and rolling HW into the base game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

put the bi in bicycle posted:

Someone start a gofundme to get Baph a ps4

I'd pledge to that Baphstarter.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's worth waiting until the end of Fanfest no matter what, just in case they announce they're doing the WoW thing and rolling HW into the base game.

Well yeah, ironically this is the worst time to buy the game, despite all the hype being built around it, because basic things like platform, cost, and system requirements are bound to undergo changes due to announcements made today and tomorrow.

I mean, what if you'd gone and bought the PS3 version yesterday morning :v:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

They did this with FF11 after every expac, so there's no reason to think they wouldn't do that again once there's more than 1 expansion to the game.

E: you still had to put like 6 goddamn CD keys into PlayOnline but they did technically roll all of the previous expacs into the base game purchase.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Kwyndig posted:

I mean, what if you'd gone and bought the PS3 version yesterday morning :v:

Well they're giving everyone with the PS3 version the PS4 version for free so... I don't see the issue!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ilifinicus posted:

live letter's gonna be about 3.45 and 3.5, not stormblood

more stormblood will be in december

They did say during the keynote that they would talk more about the inventory changes during the live letter.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Steam thread talking about FFXIV got me playing this again.

I stopped playing after hitting 50 with NIN and just before Rock The Castrum. Now I really want to play DRK when I reach Heavensward.

Should I continue through the story and rush to unlock DRK, or should I switch to my 30 MRD (for tanking/gearing) and catch up to where I am before progressing further?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Rush.

• Locked thread