Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
so my ball python's been acting super lethargic and spent a couple days sitting in her water dish. this behavior happened after her heat lamp went out overnight while i had to wait for the store to open. i thought she was dead yesterday, because she was completely limp for about 10 seconds after picking her up. she's "at least 10 years old" but her age is unknown, and she's been slowly losing weight from being approx max weight and size for a female ball. she's still pretty big though.

tank was deep cleaned and the substrate was last replaced about a month and a half ago, in general it seems pretty clean in there. she might have gone a little bit without water at a time, because she keeps splashing everything out of her dish but I'm trying to be diligent in refilling it.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Babies doing good. The mice can barely keep up, damnit.

One of our foster kittens has discovered if he sits on the hognose tank screen lid, the snakes react loudly. This is a problem. My male is chill, the female is spazz crazy with the feeding response of a garbage disposal.

I've always wanted an albino garter snake but they seem so drat flighty compared to balls and sand boas. My corn snakes (I sold them years ago) were the most flighty I ever dealt with and even those seem chill compared to garters.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

so my ball python's been acting super lethargic and spent a couple days sitting in her water dish. this behavior happened after her heat lamp went out overnight while i had to wait for the store to open. i thought she was dead yesterday, because she was completely limp for about 10 seconds after picking her up. she's "at least 10 years old" but her age is unknown, and she's been slowly losing weight from being approx max weight and size for a female ball. she's still pretty big though.

tank was deep cleaned and the substrate was last replaced about a month and a half ago, in general it seems pretty clean in there. she might have gone a little bit without water at a time, because she keeps splashing everything out of her dish but I'm trying to be diligent in refilling it.

Domestic ball pythons have all kinds of problems and will get sick out of nowhere all the time. Get a Burmese like a pro and start saving up for a bigger habitat.

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
e: nvm wth

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
What are some good substrates for Greek tortoises? I'm looking into building a table, and cypress mulch is recommended. But I live in a third world country and I don't think I could find cypress chips - or worse, I could just be sold pine by people thinking I'm nuts. Anything foolproof?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Tardigrade posted:

What are some good substrates for Greek tortoises? I'm looking into building a table, and cypress mulch is recommended. But I live in a third world country and I don't think I could find cypress chips - or worse, I could just be sold pine by people thinking I'm nuts. Anything foolproof?

Dirt? Like actual dirt from outside?

TJs12Stones
Sep 2, 2016

Big Centipede posted:

Dirt? Like actual dirt from outside?

Yeah...that would be the easiest. Just heat up the dirt to a good temp to try to kill off any parasites and dirt away! Surprise surprise it is dirty, but the tortoise could use a shallow bath still.

evilcat
May 16, 2009
This may perhaps be the oddest one, but google wasn't exactly of help. Do snakes ever get annoyed at or by any part of their cage setup?
Mine had for the third time pulled the hygrometer and thermometer down. This time it drowned the thermometer and not the hygrometer in the water bowl, and added to it by making a ball on top of the hygrometer and hissing when I tried to take it out from under it.
Except my snake apparently can't hiss and just exhales, so I had to pick it up as it kept breathing at me and put it in the carry cage and reassembled the dials and put them back and reset the plastic plant. It's pulled the dials down before, and they do sit in the middle of the cage so it somehow manages to drag them into the waterbowl over the raised lip and also into the hide, so I'm at the point of wondering if it perhaps really just doesn't like the dials.

TJs12Stones
Sep 2, 2016

evilcat posted:

This may perhaps be the oddest one, but google wasn't exactly of help. Do snakes ever get annoyed at or by any part of their cage setup?
Mine had for the third time pulled the hygrometer and thermometer down. This time it drowned the thermometer and not the hygrometer in the water bowl, and added to it by making a ball on top of the hygrometer and hissing when I tried to take it out from under it.
Except my snake apparently can't hiss and just exhales, so I had to pick it up as it kept breathing at me and put it in the carry cage and reassembled the dials and put them back and reset the plastic plant. It's pulled the dials down before, and they do sit in the middle of the cage so it somehow manages to drag them into the waterbowl over the raised lip and also into the hide, so I'm at the point of wondering if it perhaps really just doesn't like the dials.

My ball python always does laps after I clean and rearrange his home. I always just figure he is getting a feel for the turf. :)

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Salazar pulls his poo poo down sometimes. I assume it's because he's taking advantage of the terrain. His temperature gauges aren't meant to provide a leg up, of course, and that's why they fall down, but he uses them to try and reach his ceiling, anyway.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Brody was really active around noon yesterday which was quite strange. So I did a complete cage cleaning, put her back in and she was still hyper. I left the door open and she exited without hesitation. Nothing in the environment has changed so I'm hoping she's just hungry and a med. rat tonight will get her to calm back down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpKU8UawmOo

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

What kind of tank does Brody have? It's pretty nice!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Atasuki is the brand name. 36x18x20 Very well built.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 13, 2016

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thanks!

The design seems comparable to what Exo Terra sells. Both are priced...about the same? Ish?

Anyone have any thoughts and feelings about Exo Terra tanks versus other brands?

evilcat
May 16, 2009
I took this as it came out to say hello as I started removing things to clean the tank.

Thankfully I was helped again last night by the dials getting pulled down. I even put a couple 'bamboo' things for it to relax on and sit higher up on that will support it, but apart from sleeping on them once apparently they are only good for a headrest.
Now that it's clean and some wandering was done, it's time to hide under the log and then come out this evening to inspect everything.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

my cat is norris posted:

Thanks!

The design seems comparable to what Exo Terra sells. Both are priced...about the same? Ish?

Anyone have any thoughts and feelings about Exo Terra tanks versus other brands?

All glass aquariums are harder to heat and keep humid than say a pvc cage or other plastic cage. I have used an Exo Terra and also I think a Zoo-Med Exo Terra clone that were both on the small end. The Zoo-Med's door and locking mechanism were a lot more functional, including how easy it is to add a padlock to it. ( I don't see a way to do that to the Exo Terra?)

I had my green tree in the Zoo-Med, but it was heavily modified by having a layer of coroplast cut to the same size as the cage and taped around the outside edges to keep heat in, as well as a piece of plexi cut out to fit over the screen top to trap humidity. I still had to keep wet moss in it to keep the humidity up. That snake now has a pvc cage with radiant heat panel and it is much much easier to keep heated and humid.

The other creature I have in an Exo-Terra is our crested gecko. She gets misted constantly, but at least is easy to see in the Exo. And it has plenty of height for her to stick to the walls and look at us with her mean little adorable face.

If you have a high humidity animal, I definitely would skip the glass and go straight to Animal Plastics, PVCcages.com, Boaphile, Monster Cages, etc. The glass works in a pinch, though, and I'd go with the Zoo-med if you can.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thanks!

Salazar, our ball python, is in a glass tank right now. Humidity has been a definite issue. We'll look into switching to plastics -- he's almost due for an upgrade, anyway. So's our gecko.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Also have a PVC cage and it's not significantly better for humidity. And it's a little more intimidating to reach in and take him out.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I've got a similar PVC cage for my skink, albeit I modded it to have more air flow since skinks don't exactly have high humidity requirements. I know I've posted it before but whatever. Also added in a strip of leds that I can color change, but just kinda leave on a whitish glow. I should mess with it to give it a more daylight glow, but buttercup spends most of his time sleeping in my bed anyway so whatever.

He'll stay out of his enclosure days at a time sleeping in my bed or exploring around. Works pretty well except for when he randomly decides my toes look like food. Or the other night he snuggled under the blanket with me then suddenly decided to attack my Achilles tendon. Why I dunno? I wasn't moving or anything. I was laying still reading a book. Guess I was just.in his way. Dick.

In other news look at Samus's fat rat full belly!

Her feeding response is slightly subdued compared to the corn snakes, Slithers M.D. and Judge Shiloh. They see food. They strike, wrap, eat.

Samus sees food, strikes, and wraps. Then it looked like she was going to be dumb snake and try to eat it belly first somehow. Turns out she was dragging it back into her hide, which are still black plastic pie plates from apple pies I bought last October, to eat in peace.

I'm kinda cheap and economicical on most of my enclosures. Nothing fancy. Snakes have hides and water bowl. Skink has water and food bowl.

Crested and the tokays have planted tanks. Leopard and armadillo lizard have slate with a bit of sand and fake rocks I crafted. You can tell I got better at it the 2nd time around when you look at Leopard's enclosure vs Armadillos in terms of sturdiness of my creations.

I'll get pics of those at some point if I remember.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Good idea adding more air holes to PVC enclosure, wish I'd thought of that.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I think it was that surprise litter. My 15 year old Kenyan sand boa, Nod, my favorite one, died yesterday. Her surprise litter from stored sperm is about a month old. Rest well, Nodling. I'm keeping some of your babies.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'm sorry. Keep 2 of the babies.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 21, 2016

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I own a leopard gecko now. It eats crickets.

I am imagining engineering fancy gadets for the cage, like an automatic cricket dispenser that uses an airlock and sensors so too many don't go in at once.

Does anything like this exist?

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry for the crap photo but I'm excited because I got to hold a very tame baby retic today. Wasn't even that headshy, either (which means I got a few cheek squishes in) :3:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Awwr. :3

I went to the Pittsburgh Reptile Expo today and also held some babies, and some not babies. It was a good time, and I found a really nice hand built terrarium for my gecko's new home.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I never understand how my mom can always find some new ball at the Tuscon Reptile Show and want it, when she barely knows what snakes we even have! Had I the time or room I could sneak in a dozen snakes and she'd never know. Ah well, to add to the new name theme of our lessers (Bee and Wasp) and dragonfly (Dragonfly) we have a male lemonblast named Monarch. He's a tiny worm of a thing but maybe he can make some pretty babies with my albino or champagne girls.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I started working at a science center a few weeks ago and inherited a huge mess from the previous person with regards to the animal room. I've gotten most of the lizard issues straightened out, but we have a large enclosure with about 250 gallons of water and a dozen aquatic turtles (RES, YBS, and painteds) and it's way over capacity. I've tried reaching out to facebook groups in the area to find anyone competent to take some of the sliders off our hands (free), but I can't find anyone to take any from us. I'm working on moving their rocks so I can raise the water level which should help, but I'd still like to get down to 6-8 turtles in there - anyone know of groups or places where I could advertise that I might not have thought of? I'm in Spartanburg, SC.

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
You might wanna check out locations for Repticon or post on pages about it - there's a few reptile conventions in SC, including Greenville (thought I'm not sure about Spartanburg) and one in Atlanta coming up on the 15th and 16th. Might find a turtle fan from there.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Who's a pretty gecko? Ginger is. :kimchi:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

that's a pretty gecko

our garter is getting a little big for this 5G aquarium now. do you guys think it's okay to just throw him into a 20G if we have adequate hides for him?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

that's a pretty gecko

our garter is getting a little big for this 5G aquarium now. do you guys think it's okay to just throw him into a 20G if we have adequate hides for him?

Absolutely. No such thing as too big of a cage so long as there's plenty of hides and it can find food and water.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Alright, thanks. I'll go pick up a grate and some clips for the top of it tomorrow.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Is one hide on the hot side and one on the cool side sufficient or should i stick a third one in the middle? I'm still new to snakes, sorry.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Is one hide on the hot side and one on the cool side sufficient or should i stick a third one in the middle? I'm still new to snakes, sorry.

One on each would probably be fine. I suggest pieces of cork bark or something else that will be low to the substrate. Snakes like hides that they have to cram themselves into as opposed to something very spacious

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
http://i.imgur.com/2J9G6fI.jpg

I found this snake in Harrisburg PA. It kinda looks like a rattle snake, but it was pretty small and did not appear to have a rattle. Someone else suggested it might be a water snake. Curious to see what you guys think.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Looks like a Milksnake or cornsake to me.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 17, 2016

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Prince Reggie K posted:

I found this snake in Harrisburg PA. It kinda looks like a rattle snake, but it was pretty small and did not appear to have a rattle. Someone else suggested it might be a water snake. Curious to see what you guys think.

That's my Spaghetti <3

I made him a sandbox last night to see if he'll burrow since he likes doing it in his bark.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
Cool snake! What is it?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Corn snake. To clarify, it's not him in your picture, but looks really similar. I was supposed to get another snake at Tinley this past weekend, but I spent my snake money when my bike was stolen and my friend wasn't going to be able to make it down so he is still an only child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Prince Reggie K posted:

It's a baby black rat snake