Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

TorakFade posted:

I'm about to start a new game with Rights of Man, I last played a game just after Cossacks came out. I have every expansion under the sun. A few questions:

- is the "we have casus belli" mod updated for latest version? This is supremely important to my immersion.

Technically it isn't, but since you can launch the game even when you have outdated mods enabled now it doesn't really matter. Just enable the mod and ignore the warning, and it'll work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Does institution spread seem really fast for everyone else? I saw the institution map from the dev diary but in my game the entire world is up to date with just some people missing the Enlightenment.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Estates are still ignorable so long as you give them territory when they ask for it. In most circumstances though you can easily squeeze a bunch of free ducats and monarch points out of them for almost no effort and without really putting yourself at risk. And it just makes sense to put Merchants in high trade power provinces, but that is a "set it and forget it" situation

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I've been making solid use of out giving off-religion provinces to my religious estate as Vietnam, makes otherwise unconvertable provinces convertable.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

QuarkJets posted:

Estates are still ignorable so long as you give them territory when they ask for it. In most circumstances though you can easily squeeze a bunch of free ducats and monarch points out of them for almost no effort and without really putting yourself at risk. And it just makes sense to put Merchants in high trade power provinces, but that is a "set it and forget it" situation

Estates are really bland and soulless, and I hope they get enhanced in the future.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
If you can live with like 2.5% penalties to tax and trade and stuff (you can), you could just take all the estates off the provinces a year into the game and forget about them entirely.

I really like estates though. Even beyond the bonuses, they add a lot of weight to a bunch of decisions that I used to just mindlessly click through. And the bonuses are really powerful. No autonomy and bonus production, half price advisers, missionary strength. The draft ships for war option is super powerful in the early game too. I agree it'd be nice if they're integrated further though, I thought there'd be a thing with them and institution spread but it's just like 0.001% or something practically.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
The wiki states that personal unions end if the senior partner's ruler dies with negative prestige. Is this no longer the case? I (Sweden) continually attacked and humiliated Denmark over the course of their ruler's life, keeping their prestige well under -20. When he died, their personal union over Norway didn't dissolve.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Hmm, I just got an honest to god crash to desktop. Been a long time since I got one of those...

Buschmaki posted:

Does institution spread seem really fast for everyone else? I saw the institution map from the dev diary but in my game the entire world is up to date with just some people missing the Enlightenment.

I haven't gotten very far yet, but I've got most of Europe + Ottoman territory embracing the Renaissance by 1500, which seems reasonable. No visibility on Asia yet though. Only thing that really struck me as odd was Crimea embracing the Renaissance in like 1480 (I'm guessing it spread through Genoa somehow?). But they got integrated by the Ottomans shortly thereafter, so whatever.

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

The wiki states that personal unions end if the senior partner's ruler dies with negative prestige. Is this no longer the case? I (Sweden) continually attacked and humiliated Denmark over the course of their ruler's life, keeping their prestige well under -20. When he died, their personal union over Norway didn't dissolve.

Pretty sure that got removed 2 patches ago.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
The real fun thing with estates is sticking them in newly conquered lands. It's a little harder now as the land has to be in an existing state for you to give an estates an uncored provence. But now that estates remove the local autonomy penalty for their respective development type you can take a 50% autonomy, newly conquered, province and immediately get full, tax, man power, or trade power from it.

Also don't be afraid to drop below 40% loyalty or above 80 influence if you have too. 35% loyalty takes under 5 years to tick back up over 40 and just costs you a little bit of money or manpower. And as long as your under 85 influence the disaster only ticks up by 1 per month. As long as one the influence modifiers is going away in under 8 years your perfectly safe. Worst comes to worst just revoke some land for a few years. The penalty for not enough land us only 3% loyalty per year, and that gets partially counteracted by the normal tick up if you under 50%.

And don't forget to milk them for guaranteed, half-off, statesmen, masters of the mint, theologians, and inquisitors whenever you need them.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Annoyingly this is gone. Now it's negative relations only, I think?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Obliterati posted:

That's a shame. Denmark is down to 2 provinces and I wanted to be able to gobble them up then turn my attention to the newly independent Norway without waiting out a truce. Oh well.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

That's a shame. Denmark is down to 2 provinces and I wanted to be able to gobble them up then turn my attention to the newly independent Norway without waiting out a truce. Oh well.

Support Norway's independence and gobble up the danskjävlar in the independence war, then turn on Norway after the deed?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

NihilCredo posted:

Support Norway's independence and gobble up the danskjävlar in the independence war, then turn on Norway after the deed?

If you support their independence it gives you an alliance which you'd have to break and take another truce, but it could be shorter than the other truce.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Obliterati posted:

Yeah although it's balanced by negative prestige giving a huge hit liberty desire now. I forget if it's +50 or +100 at -100 prestige, but either way your not going to be wanting to disinherit too many heirs when you have a PU going.

Edit: don't you get the PU if you full annex the senior partner. I know it works that way for other kinds of subjects like vassals and colonial nations, but I don't know if they changed that for PUs.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 14, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That does work for vassals, but I don't think it makes any sense for PUs. The monarch would just go off and be monarch of only the lesser partner.

If you get a PU on someone with a PU, you do get both though.

Sparta
Aug 14, 2003

the other white meat

Sparta posted:

I havent played in a while, and I started a game as Ireland. I managed to get like 70% of the island, but England has the rest (and a chunk of Scotland). Now England has me as their rival, and I am kinda boned. France is weak, as are Castille/Aragon/Anyone.

So I tried expanding in to North America to get some more provinces. I got 5 cored... and then it turned in to a colonial state ;_; so I quit because I had been working (and spending a ton of money) trying to get those going, only to have them slip away from me.

Does anyone have any advice for this? I can't move my capital west without giving up all my (much bigger) provinces in Ireland. Part of me is thinking I could make subject nations out of all my irish states, move my capital, and then reannex them in 50 years? But maybe I can't, because my capital will be on a different continent and they'll be harder to befriend.

Ideas? I'm down for gamey solutions.

Any help with this?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Sparta posted:

Any help with this?

Well...what year are you in? Starting in Ireland can be tricky. Now that you have a colonial nation, it might not be worth it to spend more resources to flee Ireland for North America, though it can be viable to do so as Ireland. You can't get those colonial nation provinces back, unless you release them and declare war on them.

With France being weak, Scotland being weak...you could try and take out Scotland, but you're going to need help against England when it comes to it, and France is really the most reliable option there, but once England loses their mainland provinces then France becomes less useful.

If I were in your shoes I would restart, but if you don't want to restart then I'd move your capital to Mexico (if Portugal/Castille don't have a huge presence there), build up giant, take out all the natives, and eventually make your return to Great Britain.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I'm trying to do an Aztec run but I'm not sure it's going so well:

I think I overextended. I'm trying to catch up in tech but I feel it's gonna take 50 years. Does this look doable? I'm guessing I should've just focused on colonizing and building up my tech? But then again, the only reason I'm up to date in Institutions is cause I conquered Brazil... This new system seems more punishing to non-Europeans than just westernization, honestly.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Keep getting new techs until the institution penalty is like 30%, if you want to adopt institutions quickly just have high development borders with europeans and they'll spread through your country really quickly. There are also loads of options to get money without MP downsides now so early adopting institutions is a good idea.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Also colonizing means coring and you're really behind on admin tech, can't you vassalize anyone near you or release some and expand through them? Coring all of brazil costs shitloads of adm. Also colonizing is really expensive and you should try rebudgeting to get +3 advisors where you're low on tech.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
There is not much i can do against Ottomans as Ethiopia, hm ? Even if I max out all mercs and loans, their superior numbers in everything just crush and burn all that I hold dear, I don't know what to do after trying this four times in a row, whenever I share a border with them in Egypt they just go into murder mode

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
My first England game since the new expansion and France gets a PU with Spain. This game ended before it could start.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

BigglesSWE posted:

My first England game since the new expansion and France gets a PU with Spain. This game ended before it could start.

You should try focusing your expansion elsewhere and try to impede france as much as possible from the sidelines. Fighting against big ai countries is a lot of fun when it isn't in the really late game.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Does Sweden have any events that give it generals? Be cause they have some badass 4/6/4 General who just appeared out of nowhere, much to my Danish buffer States dismay.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

skipThings posted:

There is not much i can do against Ottomans as Ethiopia, hm ? Even if I max out all mercs and loans, their superior numbers in everything just crush and burn all that I hold dear, I don't know what to do after trying this four times in a row, whenever I share a border with them in Egypt they just go into murder mode

The secret to playing a Coptic nation is that they wage war very differently. Stack up as many fort related bonuses as you can, ally a strong country near them, and get ready for some micromanagement. If you get Austria or France (or some other global power) as an ally, they'll keep most of the Ottoman forces occupied on their European border. Use this to send your troops to siege some of their forts. They'll send troops down to deal with you, which eases up the pressure on your ally. IF you retreat behind the defensive line made by the captured forts, they'll have to siege their forts. With the bonuses from the Coptic religion and from Defensive, that'll be a while and they'll be taking a lot of attrition the whole time. When they're weak enough, send your armies in to wipe their depleted stacks. Then go forward, siege more forts, and fall back once you see the Ottomans again.

You'll be getting enough warscore to take provinces from the Ottomans, and if you drain their manpower enough then other nations will jump on the Ottomans. Because of how wide spread they are, they can quickly enter a spiral of continually losing wars. The hardest part of dealing with the Ottomans is hitting them hard enough the first time in order to cause that death spiral.

The downsides to this tactic is that you need at least one strong ally with an army that can get to their Balkans border, and preferably a strong naval ally who can prevent them from using transports to more quickly send people down to deal with you. This does require a bit of luck as you may get distance modifiers that prevent alliances, and you might end up with a Europe with no clear mega power large enough to help you deal with the Ottomans.

e: A few patches ago I achieved Prestor John in 1701 due to luck with alliances, a personal union over Naples, and just devestating their manpower in the first war. By the last war they were weakened so much I was able to go on the offensive as they didn't have the money or manpower to take on my army, let alone my allies'.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 15, 2016

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

In my own Prester John run I definitely lost two or three wars with the Ottomans before I starting hitting them harder than they hit me. I was lucky in that I had Arabia and they wasted a lot of time walking back and forth from Mecca to Nubia through Sinai. You really need the Gold and Trade income you get from East Africa, I don't think it's absolutely necessary to colonize anything though. Mountain forts are your best friend, and now with the new attacker/defender terrain penalty switch they're going to be twice as good as they ever were. Trading in Coffee doesn't get you a fort defense bonus anymore though, they swapped that with institution spread.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I haven't tried Ethiopia since the recent patch (none of us have done many campaigns since Rights of Man, it's too recent) but I'd imagine it's in a decent position with regard to technology (assuming you go Exploration early which you should).

The fort changes help you HUGELY. Ethiopia and the Horn of Africa region has a ton of high-attrition arid climate and mountains. As of this patch, when you attack a besieging army YOUR side gets the terrain bonus, and that's an incredibly big change to fort placement and sieges.

Before, if you built a fort in a mountain province (-2 dice roll) it was good for slowing the enemy down but was lovely to relieve the siege, since your armies would attack into the defending (sieging) army at -2 rolls. Now, the defending armies receive the terrain bonus, that's a loving huge 4-point swing in this example. Before, you'd be at -2 killing the fuckers besieging your mountain fort, now you are +2, a difference of +4 to your combat rolls which is enormous. I repeat myself but it's as significant a change as institutions. Fort placement matters in a completely opposite way now.

One of the most significant changes this patch has caused is in placement of forts. Before, you wanted to build forts in easy terrain so you could attack besiegers without penalty. Now you want to fortify hostile terrains since they will always be in your favor.

What I'm saying is Defensive is even moreso the best military idea group imo

bigly hugely defensive nations, they're great, I've made many great deals with countries with hostile terrains, you wouldn't believe it, you build some forts in your worst-- listen, sometimes you just have to tell it like it is, not like the mainstream media. you have to build some forts along your worst terrain borders, your rivals will pay for it.

bonus edit: the Hapsburg dynasty cucked themselves

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 15, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It was kinda the feature I'd completely ignored in prerelease, but great power stuff is actually really fun. It's exactly what I needed to help me dick around in the world more, which is the best part of any colonial game. And I just had an enormous spiraling doom war where every great power in Europe slowly piled in to fight each other after I invaded Mexico.

Also yeah the fort changes are great. It always bothered me that I had to fortify flat terrain.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Really liking the integration of Institutions with Development - first time I have actually decided it was worth it to spent points on Developing a province.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Yeah this patch really made development feel worthwhile. I almost never did it before because I had so many more important uses for my mp.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I love turning Ethiopia into an urban core and then smashing these tribals around me.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

So I think that i remember religious rebels being changed sometime in the last ~year. I want to do another Catholic Mamluks run and I was wondering if the normal strat of incite them to revolt and let them take a bunch of provinces that I then take back is still valid?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rights of Man isn't showing up in my list of Expansions. Anyone else have this issue?

e: Fixed by re-verifying the game cache. Whew!

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 15, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Rights of Man isn't showing up in my list of Expansions. Anyone else have this issue?

e: Fixed by re-verifying the game cache. Whew!
Restarting steam usually works too.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

So aperently when they changed the tech sytem they forgot that the overseas expansion cb is tied to tech group, which you can't change anymore. In my kongo game spain was able to declare an overseas expansion war on me when I had more institutions than them and better military tech. Then they aperently regretted that decision because the ai never even tried to land troops in Africa, and I didn't have the fleet to try to invade Iberia so the warscore just hovered ariund zero until spain got bored enough to white peace out.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Poil posted:

Restarting steam usually works too.

Tried that, it didn't work. Steam reported that I owned the DLC, it just wasn't showing up in the launcher

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Tried that, it didn't work. Steam reported that I owned the DLC, it just wasn't showing up in the launcher
Weird. It didn't show up in my launcher either when I bought it but restarting Steam made it download a megabyte or two and then it showed up properly.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
Thanks for the answers to the Ethiopia run, from what I read, but I want to be sure, going offensive and then Administrative is not good anymore, instead I should go defensive and exploration ?
In most of the runs I can gain all of the weaker african nations around the Horn of Africa no problem, but Yemen and the Arabian peninsula is allied in an intricate web of alliances and guarantees to ottomans and the new and enhanced stable Timurids.

After that I just run out of steam and don't know where to go to grow, the austrians, poles and french seem to be always weak and the ottomans ally Russia and then rival useless allies like GB and Spain, I guess I just have to try it again until there are better options ?

How deep should I go into debt for advisors ? Am I supposed to develop the lovely provinces around my coast while the renaissance is "progressing" inside them or before ?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

Keep getting new techs until the institution penalty is like 30%, if you want to adopt institutions quickly just have high development borders with europeans and they'll spread through your country really quickly. There are also loads of options to get money without MP downsides now so early adopting institutions is a good idea.

Buschmaki posted:

Also colonizing means coring and you're really behind on admin tech, can't you vassalize anyone near you or release some and expand through them? Coring all of brazil costs shitloads of adm. Also colonizing is really expensive and you should try rebudgeting to get +3 advisors where you're low on tech.

Yeah, I'm gonna try another run and rethink things a little, I need to focus more on my tech and development and less on just blobbing. I'm not in Europe. Thanks for the advice.

Any thoughts on Idea groups? I was doing Exploration + Expansion after reforming religion, then some military idea. But maybe I should go for Exploration only, colonize less and then maybe throw in something like economics to help with my inflation, or administrative to lower tech costs?

I wonder if I'm doing things wrong from the get go, though. I focused on developing and neglected tech at first, colonizing a little around me until the Europeans arrived (I reformed in 1571). Maybe I should beeline for Exploration so I can find the euros and steal one of their colonies to reform religion asap?

Elman fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapt
Sep 21, 2010
Currently playing as Malacca, trying to form Malaya for the spice must flow. Any other achievments I should be looking out for? Still learning the game.

• Locked thread