Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Shima Honnou posted:

I cut the body off a Herculon. The part that's attacking me is the disembodied leg and little bit of machinery there, the rest of it is a dead lump on the floor.

I had that happen with one of the fat Toxin demons, it ended up with nothing but two legs and a spinal column.

Is there a trick to getting the sword sticking out of the box in the demon temple, or is it just something you get through the story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's story-related. Specifically you get it in the final story mission of the second act.

edit: (ending spoilers) Man, I really just can't get over how crazy abrupt and unsatisfying the ending is. There's nothing after the credits, right? The dragon that busts through the gate diving at Wang is the end of the ending?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 15, 2016

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CJacobs posted:

They hit enemies multiple times per swing which makes them real good if you're trying to inflict an element on an enemy or doing one of the special moves for bigass damage.
Those aren't full damage hits though.

Personally I'm currently using a lot of the three-barreled revolver, loaded up on acid and damage. I blew an elite's head off in one shot with the drat thing.

InfinityComplex posted:

Non-descript objects or actors that you can interact with. Have no idea what the Wang Cave desk one does.
A later sidequest is started by talking to the laptop.

Also, for everybody who wants the preorder chain-katana, there's another chain-katana available in the game. I think it's a drop from a named boss enemy in a side mission, I don't quite remember where I got it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I keep getting more and more guns and I'm just having a loving blast.

Got a 4 player co-op game going with friends and everybody couldn't stop talking about how much simple fun the game was. All thriller no filler.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zereth posted:

Personally I'm currently using a lot of the three-barreled revolver, loaded up on acid and damage. I blew an elite's head off in one shot with the drat thing.
It occurs to me that with the talk about blowing something's entire body off and it being fine, I should to specify that the elite also died from this. :gibs:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

CJacobs posted:

It's story-related. Specifically you get it in the final story mission of the second act.

edit: (ending spoilers) Man, I really just can't get over how crazy abrupt and unsatisfying the ending is. There's nothing after the credits, right? The dragon that busts through the gate diving at Wang is the end of the ending?

I guess they're contractually obligated to have dat sequel hook in there. Seems to be a prerequisite for a lot of modern shooters. Even the new Doom ends on a massive sequel hook.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Amusingly enough, Shadow Warrior 2013's plot was surprisingly conclusive and gave Lo Wang a solid character development arc, most of which has been ignored for the sake of the second game.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

I love the city level, such a fun and cool place to play in

this game is what hellgate london should have been

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Geight posted:

Amusingly enough, Shadow Warrior 2013's plot was surprisingly conclusive and gave Lo Wang a solid character development arc, most of which has been ignored for the sake of the second game.

Honestly strikes me as odd since 2013's plot was actually pretty good. However I find this one's plot to be incredibly disjointed but coherent enough for you to understand things.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

VolticSurge posted:

I guess they're contractually obligated to have dat sequel hook in there. Seems to be a prerequisite for a lot of modern shooters. Even the new Doom ends on a massive sequel hook.

I guess it just bothers me that the ending is completely inconclusive as to why what happened did happen. Even for a sequel hook it just ends way, way the hell too soon after its events have transpired. Is the dragon what happened to Kamiko's soul?? Was she playing Lo Wang for a fool the whole time?? Were the demons playing Lo Wang and Kamiko for a fool the whole time?? Was her soul not powerful enough to fix the gate?? Did they run out of time because they were fighting the goddess lady?? Was that the gate being busted or the gate starting to be fixed?? Why does it do a cut to black ending not more than 30 seconds after the most important thing in the whole plot happens???? I'm gonna be bummed if they put out a "here's what happened after the ending" DLC campaign and it picks up exactly where the ending stops. I do want that DLC, but I would still be disappointed if the story begins by explaining the actual ending.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 15, 2016

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

InfinityComplex posted:

Honestly strikes me as odd since 2013's plot was actually pretty good. However I find this one's plot to be incredibly disjointed but coherent enough for you to understand things.

Yeah, unfortunately it seems like co-op brotimes and a compelling plot are still mutually exclusive for video games. It's a little sad, but the game we got is still pretty fun.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Well now. :v:

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Okay this is a sadistic choice, I had to choose between a shotgun and a chainsaw.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The Gamespot review sure is down on the jokes being bad. I think someone didn't get the memo about the whole Shadow Warrior thing.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Really wanting to do co-op but no body I know has the game yet. Anyone down? I just got to the entrance of the lab.

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry
Just in case you guys didn't know - if you see the Shadow Warrior 2 decal, there (usually) is a secret hidden nearby. For example, in the pic below you can jump through the painting on the wall into a hidden room

CJacobs posted:

Is there a way to change the FOV on your arms? Some of the guns are so huge they take up an entire third of the screen and it's pretty annoying. :geno:

I'll pass this one along

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Dr. VooDoo posted:

drat this game looks amazing on Ultra and runs flawlessly what is this witch craft

This is what it feels like when publishers allow developers to give a poo poo about and put effort into optimization.

Shame it happens so rarely.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I like having a huge gun take up my screen because I can hide from the spiders :ohdear:

After spending 3 weeks playing Demon Steele for Doom all the movement stuff in SW2 feels so natural. Game runs brilliantly too on my 780 except for a weird stuttering in the audio if things are turned up too high which I imagine is my poor Cpu having a stroke.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
So I just started playing this (stopped when I hit mission selection) and am having a great time with the mechanics, but has anyone else found the quality to be really uneven? I've found NPCs who just stand there non-reacting until they arbitrarily become vendors, NPCs completing quests for me I didn't even know I had, really weird transitions between pho-asian temples to super high tech areas with no narrative bridges, z-fighting issues on transparent objects, and general confusion about how this story and world at all relate to how Shadow Warrior 1 left the universe.

I mean, I'll happily continue to shoot and stab dudes with these super fun mechanics, but the narrative design so far just feels... Unfinished? At minimum it feels like a step back in narrative execution quality from the first game. Does anyone else agree?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zagrod posted:

Just in case you guys didn't know - if you see the Shadow Warrior 2 decal, there (usually) is a secret hidden nearby. For example, in the pic below you can jump through the painting on the wall into a hidden room

Good to know, I'll try to look out for those.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Brackhar posted:

nd general confusion about how this story and world at all relate to how Shadow Warrior 1 left the universe.

The game's story definitely does feel like we're actually playing Shadow Warrior 3 and they expected us to play 2 first. Which is a weird feeling to have.

Zagrod posted:

I'll pass this one along

Sweet!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How to make the worst part of the game less annoying:

* Don't touch the inventory during the mission. Wait until you're in the hub.
* Junk everything in the "Weapon Upgrades" category (it's all just boring and pointless stat bonuses).
* Stack every weapon with nothing but fun unique mods (like Akimbo or Turret) and Elemental mods.

I've been playing that way on Hard for a while now and the game honestly flows sooooo much better when you don't stop every 5 seconds to optimize your guns.
Also the less time you spend on spreadsheets the more time you spend carving monsters and giving them the Wang.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Brackhar posted:

So I just started playing this (stopped when I hit mission selection) and am having a great time with the mechanics, but has anyone else found the quality to be really uneven? I've found NPCs who just stand there non-reacting until they arbitrarily become vendors, NPCs completing quests for me I didn't even know I had, really weird transitions between pho-asian temples to super high tech areas with no narrative bridges, z-fighting issues on transparent objects, and general confusion about how this story and world at all relate to how Shadow Warrior 1 left the universe.

I mean, I'll happily continue to shoot and stab dudes with these super fun mechanics, but the narrative design so far just feels... Unfinished? At minimum it feels like a step back in narrative execution quality from the first game. Does anyone else agree?

Yeah the story and NPC aspect of the game is definitely a bit weird. Flying Hog definitely has a problem when it comes to narratives. Hard Reset was completely non-sense and impossible to follow. SW1 was simple and generally a connected story, but also kind of weird with a very unlived in world where there didn't seem to be a reaction to what the heck was going on and really wasn't any characters besides you/hoji/zilla.

SW2's narrative feels a bit more disconnected from one place to another, but it does feel more lived in with people and feel of society or whatever. I do wish they had a stronger connection to SW1 and how things came to be and better transition between places.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Oct 15, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wish you could turn off skills cause 99% of the times I do a Vortex it's by mistake.

Incidentally, is there a way to cancel a special melee move after starting to charge it?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jack Trades posted:

I wish you could turn off skills cause 99% of the times I do a Vortex it's by mistake.

Incidentally, is there a way to cancel a special melee move after starting to charge it?

Does switching to a new weapon work? That's what I do to get out of drawing an arrow I don't want to shoot.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

jivjov posted:

Does switching to a new weapon work? That's what I do to get out of drawing an arrow I don't want to shoot.

Doesn't seem to work.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Press the reload/parry button.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lowclock posted:

Ah, I haven't thought of trying that, thanks.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Is there a way to change the FOV on your arms? Some of the guns are so huge they take up an entire third of the screen and it's pretty annoying. :geno:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Lowclock posted:

Wait, reload with a melee weapon is parry in addition to just cleaning the blade?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

Wait, reload with a melee weapon is parry in addition to just cleaning the blade?

Yep. It's hastily mentioned during the prologue.
During the combat R is a Parry while outside of combat it's just some random animation.

Personally I don't find Parry very useful, the enemy gets stunned for way too short amount of time to do anything and it's easier to just dodge and punish instead.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yes. I don't remember where I saw this, maybe a loading screen, but if you hit reload while being melee attacked and wielding a melee weapons, it does a counter move that stuns the enemy for a brief period of time.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Thanks.

I have no idea why they put it on R, a button that it's hardly convenient to press while running around like an idiot.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

Thanks.

I have no idea why they put it on R, a button that it's hardly convenient to press while running around like an idiot.

The first Shadow Warrior at least was considerably better on a controller due to stuff like this.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Maaaan, oh maaan.
I just fight against the Corrupted Kamiko and what a boss fight that was. My rear end is still sweaty.

I would've gotten loving destroyed there if I didn't just get the max level Chi regen skill just a minute before the boss fight.
Negative cost Vanish sure does make the game way easier.

In fact it reminds me a lot of how I used to play Lilith in Borderlands 1. Which is great.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Everyone should disable chromatic aberration. It's godawful in most games and ruins this one's art.

I'm 10 hours in and the gameplay is still A+. The writing is noticeably worse than the first, however. Lo Wang and the dialogue loops of Wang is a manchild and an rear end in a top hat -> Someone/His womanchild companion calls him out on it or acts amused -> Wang doubles down on being an rear end in a top hat -> Repeat for every cutscene get extremely old two hours in. For the next game I hope they work on improving the story and characters instead of continuing to make it a more crude version of Borderlands.

GUI fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 15, 2016

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

GUI posted:

I'm 10 hours in and the gameplay is still A+. The writing is noticeably worse than the first, however. Lo Wang and the dialogue loops of Wang is a manchild and an rear end in a top hat -> Someone/His womanchild companion calls him out on it or acts amused -> Wang doubles down on being an rear end in a top hat -> Repeat for every cutscene get extremely old two hours in. For the next game I hope they work on improving the story and characters instead of continuing to make it a more crude version of Borderlands.

I see that, you too, dont like fun.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

"This game isn't as well-written as the first one" doesn't seem to be a particularly uncommon assessment of the game. It's still fun. People can criticize aspects of a thing they enjoy, it's actually pretty important to understanding why we enjoy things.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The overall writing is still entertaining enough, but yeah its a very valid complaint to say the writing is worse when the first game actually had good writing.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Oh, a patch hit when I was getting errands.

Shadow Warrior 2 Patch Notes:

Shadow Warrior 2 ver. 1.1.1.0

- Fixed cutscene FOV, when playing with non standard FOV
- Fixed game stuck on loading on 2 core CPUs
- Added safe mode (add -safe to properties->general->set launch options) in order to fix startup crashes on some configurations
- Added option to disable AlienFX (add -noalienware to properties->general->set launch options) in order to fix startup crashes on some configurations
- Added option to disable videos (add -novideos to properties->general->set launch options) in order to fix startup crashes on some configurations
- Fixed PAX MP avatar skin
- Fixed weapon select menu blur constantly rendering on screen, even when weapon select menu is hidden
- Added HDR Display Brightness slider
- Fixed co-op bug, which in rare cases could corrupt saves
- Added lobby filtering by difficulty and player level
- Added list of previous saves, so in case of corrupted save you can load previous one
- Localization fixes
- Fixed hitching of intro movie
- UI improvements: Allow replace gem inserted in weapon
- Fixed AlienFX crash on startup on some configurations
- Fixed corrupted saves bug

• Locked thread