Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
780ti, I've never really had this problem with any other game. I think its just FH3's lovely GPU usage throwing spanners in the works.

I get ~25% cpu usage, and a constant 97-99% GPU usage, but the GPU is barely hitting 50-60% of its power limit and barely even heats up. It's strange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Playground / T10 going full Rockstar

Reduced the amount of XP awarded for banking Skill Chains

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Pinny posted:

boooo, thats how i'm 1st on the club leaderboard :(

Not like it matters now, but how? Was there some super good method for getting points?

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

geeves posted:

Playground / T10 going full Rockstar

Reduced the amount of XP awarded for banking Skill Chains

Why does Forza always make things more difficult? It seemed like they were backing down on the $HOLYSHIT priced cars in FM6, and they're back at it now with what, $14mil Ferraris and that.

It costs like $40k to fully upgrade a car and you get $15k for winning a race. I've been poopsocking Goliath and the money is still not good.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

Atmus posted:

Not like it matters now, but how? Was there some super good method for getting points?

Drift skills xp car, drift tap perk + triple skills xp boost perk on completing a race.

Find a regular race that has some walls and just drift tap between them till you have a 6x multiplier and 100k skill points (about 7-8 taps), bank the points for 12.5k skill xp. Rinse, repeat.

15mins should net you between 500k - 1mill xp (depending on how quick you can tap the walls) if you go and finish the race. You can do it for as long as you like though i think.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

robotsinmyhead posted:

Why does Forza always make things more difficult? It seemed like they were backing down on the $HOLYSHIT priced cars in FM6, and they're back at it now with what, $14mil Ferraris and that.

It costs like $40k to fully upgrade a car and you get $15k for winning a race. I've been poopsocking Goliath and the money is still not good.

I've been saving up all week for a Regera, only to realize when I tried to buy it that it is part of the $20 VIP DLC :( :( :(

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Pinny posted:

Drift skills xp car, drift tap perk + triple skills xp boost perk on completing a race.

Find a regular race that has some walls and just drift tap between them till you have a 6x multiplier and 100k skill points (about 7-8 taps), bank the points for 12.5k skill xp. Rinse, repeat.

15mins should net you between 500k - 1mill xp (depending on how quick you can tap the walls) if you go and finish the race. You can do it for as long as you like though i think.

Oh yeah:
- Added a 30-second cooldown to the Drift Tap Skill

Also, what the in the high gently caress is up with the Xbox updates lately? I know it's always been a thing, but this is the third 400MB+ download since Sunday.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
This game is really blatantly forgiving imo, from the physics to the grind.

I have gotten every single car from one of the largest manufacturers in the world through casual play and haven't tried or even seen the goliath race in game yet.

Honestly, the only real interesting thing about Ferraris are their price tag and that is reflected well enough in game. Overall there are only maybe a dozen or so cars in the game that cost over 3mil and nearly half of them are Ferraris. Of the few I've won through spins I immediately sold because there isn't much to do in terms of customization.

And cars like the Regera dominate the global leaderboards of a select few speed zone sections but other than that you aren't missing out on much it seems. There are a couple nearly identical cars you can buy from the same manufacturer for around the same price. Or you could take those credits and buy a cheaper sleeper that will go just as fast for a fraction of the credits.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

FFB on pc is still dogshit and photomode still broke.

Apex on the other hand feels pretty good but doesn't support ultrawide resolutions!

gently caress

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

robotsinmyhead posted:

I actually like drifting in games and I'm reasonably ok at it, but it seems like as soon as I enter a drift zone it becomes a loving parking lot / convoy race meetup point. I passed FOURTEEN cars in one them.

yeah this is one of the things i really really wish they'd change. it loving blows how many more cars are in drift and speed zones than anywhere else in the whole game. at least with speed zones you can deal with it.

also now that i know the he editions are all limited-time only, guess i gotta collect 'em all. gotta save up like a million and a half for the fuckin m3 though, that thing is through the roof on the auction house.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 14, 2016

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

robotsinmyhead posted:

I actually like drifting in games and I'm reasonably ok at it, but it seems like as soon as I enter a drift zone it becomes a loving parking lot / convoy race meetup point. I passed FOURTEEN cars in one them.
Yeah when I was doing the forzathon last night it seemed like I'd see no cars then I'd enter the drift zone and suddenly everyone needed to pop out to the store to get milk and cigarettes and there are 10 oncoming cars, that's bad enough but then the other drivertards are all bumping into each other trying to pass and taking up both lanes. I ended up creating a private online game which has no other drivertars in it, which cut the stupidity down immensely.

Pinny posted:

boooo, thats how i'm 1st on the club leaderboard :(
What! You mean there is an easier way to cheat than running goliath for an hour to get a couple hundred thousand XP? Dammit, why wasn't I told? I just tried this driftap thing out and that is just insane, 750,000XP in a 14 minute race (11 minutes getting XP, 3 minutes of actual racing). I apologize in advance for ruining this week's club leaderboard so I can bank 100 wheelspins before I update.

EDIT: Or maybe I should use all the wheelspins now, try to get an HE car, then sell that HE car next week for big bucks to get all the new HE cars which will be comparatively cheap?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

use them if you want because after a while you can simply buy wheelspins and just win them all for cheaper than the auction house if you're as lucky as me:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Oh no wonder the FFB is still garbage. Patch isn't out yet.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hey Bad Dudes,
Tomorrow night (Saturday) I'll be desperate to catch up on the club ladder after work. If you're around about 8pm EDT and ready to campaign co-op or whatever (not too much focus on drifting though) look for me. I'll probably be on alllll night allllright?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

the Evo from Tokyo Drift is on sale:

convert to rwd and learn to drift in it for the full experience

also this:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
:frogsiren: PC patch is live, early reports are that it fixes pretty much every problem :frogsiren:

Still reinstalling the game myself, but according to the various FH3 Discords I'm in, the game is no longer broken on PC. Stuttering is gone, CPUs are actually being utilized properly, framerates are up, the game doesn't crash every few minutes, input lag is gone, and THE UPGRADE MENU ACTUALLY WORKS PROPERLY NOW HOLY poo poo

Patch is 1.63 GB. Download servers are probably being hammered right now.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

:frogsiren: PC patch is live, early reports are that it fixes pretty much every problem :frogsiren:

Still reinstalling the game myself, but according to the various FH3 Discords I'm in, the game is no longer broken on PC. Stuttering is gone, CPUs are actually being utilized properly, framerates are up, the game doesn't crash every few minutes, input lag is gone, and THE UPGRADE MENU ACTUALLY WORKS PROPERLY NOW HOLY poo poo

Soo excited

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

Mine decided to download all 50.7 GB again. :thumbsup:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Oh yeah, Forza Horizon 3 is A Thing.

... and it sounds like it be on Steam. Does it have the good feeling carsperg part of the past mainline games or is it more arcade-y?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Fats posted:

Mine decided to download all 50.7 GB again. :thumbsup:

We're in the same boat, since I just rebought the game.

15 GB downloaded so far...

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

widespread posted:

Oh yeah, Forza Horizon 3 is A Thing.

... and it sounds like it be on Steam. Does it have the good feeling carsperg part of the past mainline games or is it more arcade-y?

it's not on steam and it's more arcadey than forza motorsport

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Patch report: It definitely runs better, and I probably have the shittiest PC here (overclocked i7 920, only 6 GB of ram so it yells at me every time the game starts, GTX 970). The hilarious chugging slowdown seems to be gone, though I didn't go into the city.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I dunno if the Xbox One patch just isn't out yet or if it just isn't an auto update, but I've been poopsocking real hard to get the HE cars I didn't have from the first batch. Down to just needing the M3, Focus and Boss 302. Drew 4 different ones over the course of a few hours, including a duplicate BRZ.

That loving M3 has only ever showed up as a possible prize twice for me out of the over 100 levels and 3 million I blew on buying wheelspins, no wonder it's so goddamn expensive on the auction house :argh:

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
It'll take a while to see if all of the stuttering is truly gone (it sometimes takes a while to show up), but previously it always stuttered as I was leaving festival areas, and that's definitely fixed.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Runs better on my rig. Especially in the city area. Wheel still feels like poo poo.

Edit: phone posting is hard tonight.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

Cubey posted:

I dunno if the Xbox One patch just isn't out yet or if it just isn't an auto update, but I've been poopsocking real hard to get the HE cars I didn't have from the first batch. Down to just needing the M3, Focus and Boss 302. Drew 4 different ones over the course of a few hours, including a duplicate BRZ.

That loving M3 has only ever showed up as a possible prize twice for me out of the over 100 levels and 3 million I blew on buying wheelspins, no wonder it's so goddamn expensive on the auction house :argh:

The patch probably won't hit until Tuesday. That's when patches usually roll out, so you hopefully have until then.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Ahahaha worse performance and still getting CTDs.

I'll come back to this game once I build a new computer I guess.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 361 days!
Vroom,

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

awesmoe posted:

it's not on steam and it's more arcadey than forza motorsport

As long as there's a baseline level of internal fuckery- maybe the engine swap poo poo because that actually sounds dumb and funny in hindsight- I'm in.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun
I have an i5-4690k/gtx 970, and I was having really weirdly inconsistent performance pre patch (had a couple of sessions where it was fine locked to 36fps, then had one beautiful session where it was pushing 60fps on ultra no problem)

In the past couple of days I was getting about 20fps in pretty much all situations no matter the settings. Downloaded the patch, it was even worse. Rebooted my computer, and now I'm at 48fps/ultra with shadows on medium and MSAA at 2x.

This is the first forza I've properly played since FM3/FH1, and I'm super into it. I will note that if you upgrade everything all the way you kinda just end up with identical cars, especially since the same 7L V8 and 6.2L V12 slot into just about every single car in the game, and provide a really really samey level of performance. There's something hilarious about driving a BRZ with 1000 hp for a little while, but basically every supercar ends up with 1500 hp, a 0-60 time of 3 seconds on rwd or 2 seconds on awd and a top speed of about 260-270 mph. But if you keep at least the stock motor in the cars then there's a lot of character to be found, certainly.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

widespread posted:

As long as there's a baseline level of internal fuckery- maybe the engine swap poo poo because that actually sounds dumb and funny in hindsight- I'm in.

there is a 1000+HP V12 Ghostbusters hearse in my garage so...

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

L_Harrison posted:

The patch probably won't hit until Tuesday. That's when patches usually roll out, so you hopefully have until then.

Microsoft hasn't been sticking to Tuesdays anywhere near as consistently for updates as they did with the 360, but hopefully you're right. I did get the Focus a little while ago, so now just the Boss 302 and the elusive M3 and I'll be all set.

e: well it just updated, so guess I gotta save up and blow a bunch of cash on the auction house. If anyone wants any of the first batch of 11 HE cars, better grab them ASAP because they are gonna skyrocket in price.

e2: lucked out on a 900k M3 and a 350k 302. Done collecting the first batch, time to grab all these new ones :getin:

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Oct 15, 2016

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

:lol: So I put a bid in for the HE M3, but didn't win. They kept my money.

This game is wonderful.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

geeves posted:

:lol: So I put a bid in for the HE M3, but didn't win. They kept my money.

This game is wonderful.

Did you not get a message to reclaim? Or did you find a bug?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

OhsH posted:

Did you not get a message to reclaim? Or did you find a bug?

Nope. No messages anywhere. No Button anywhere to reclaim. I shouldn't have to do that. Bid failed, money should be back in the bank. I shouldn't need a button that says "do you want your money back?"

I think it's just moving my bid on to the same car in other auctions (most of which are / were already above my bid price). I don't want to bid on those other M3s. I wanted the one that had the cool livery in the auction I actually placed my bid.

Jesus christ this UX is just terrible. Sadly, I keep playing because I hope the patches will take care of these things, but it's just overall not a great experience for me. Oh, you need XP. Now you need a gently caress ton of credits. Now in FH3 you need fans. In FH 4 you're probably going to need to collect goddamn sponsors on top of all of that to unlock creating your own car company. The grind is terrible and not rewarding. At least in GTA you could take out your frustrations by going on a murderquest against pubbies.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Forza Auction House has been keeping your money until you ask for it back since at least 4, and probably even 3.

At least this time it hangs on to your money and lets you add extra for the next bid, it used to make you bid the new full amount, necessitating you retreiving your money when outbid so you could bid it back up again if you weren't Mr. Moneybags. The part I don't like about the new system is that there's no way for you to pull out of a losing auction, it keeps your credits until it's over.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
When did they say the HE cars were rolling over? I didn't see anything in-game. Doesn't matter though I got my Ford GT and Jag F-Type and will probably sell the M3 to buy an F1 GT or something ridiculous.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
poo poo! So that's where that 900k went!

How do I get my bid money back? It's been a week since I lost an auction and at the time I was looking at my credits wondering, "Where the gently caress did half my money go?"

I've got a few HE cars. OTOH I've got the Ford GT, the BMW, one I think I won from a Midnight Battle (RX-7?), and one other (I think the Camaro.)

I've missed so many in wheelspins. I really wanted the Jaguar.

Reminder: I'm looking for XP buddies tonight (if I can stay awake... I'm at work on no sleep.)

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'm going to commit murder if I don't spin a car soon, jesus loving christ

And how are you guys buying wheelspins?

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Atmus posted:

Forza Auction House has been keeping your money until you ask for it back since at least 4, and probably even 3.

So? That was Forza 4. From five years ago. Which I (and many others) never played. That doesn't excuse lovely UX then or now.

• Locked thread