Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Has there been any word on when other Universal Monsters Legacy Collections will be coming to blu-ray? I'm loving the Frankenstein and Wolf Man sets and can't wait for the others to get upgraded too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
$39.99 - Planet Of The Apes 8 Film Bundle (original series, Burton abortion, Rise and Dawn) https://www.amazon.com/Planet-of-th...e505e6865579d13

-----------------------------

Also I preordered Lone Wolf and Cub boxset (The Criterion Collection) at the $40 price mistake but decided I don't want it. If anybody missed out, PM me and I'll see if I can change the shipping address to yours. Then you can send me an Amazon gift card for the amount owed. Thanks.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Twilight Time announcements (from Criterion Forum):

STANLEY AND IRIS (1990) BLU-RAY - Jan 17th

COMES A HORSEMAN (1978) BLU-RAY - Jan 17th

TWO FOR THE ROAD (1967) BLU-RAY - Jan 17th

THE MAD MAGICIAN 3D (1954) BLU-RAY - Jan 17th
Includes: Pardon My Backfire 3D (1953) and Spooks 3D (1953)

CHILLY SCENES OF WINTER (1979) BLU-RAY - Feb 14th

INTERIORS (1978) BLU-RAY - Feb 14th

KISS OF DEATH (1947) BLU-RAY - Feb 14th

EDGE OF ETERNITY (1959) BLU-RAY - Feb 14th

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Egbert Souse posted:

INTERIORS (1978) BLU-RAY - Feb 14th

Yesssss

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
$14.99 each

Ghostbusters 4k (+ Blu-Ray) https://www.amazon.com/Ghostbusters...f71b8614ab26fae
Ghostbusters 2 4k (+ Blu-Ray) https://www.amazon.com/Ghostbusters...9969d4cc96dee4e

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Is there a list anywhere that tells you which new Blu-rays use an updated/latest AACS key?

I modded my PS3 years back, but I've mostly been using it as the home blu-ray player. It's played everything fine up until Batman v Superman ultimate which is throwing up the "update your system software to play me" message. Dead-Pool (which was the last new blu-ray i got) didn't have this issue.

Annoyingly the ultraviolet digital thing is a bit poo poo too. I've got 2 quality options. A 2GB SD version that looks like poo poo, or a 9GB HD version which plays but stutters ever so slightly on my mediabox.

I've got powerDVD installed on the mediabox but because of stupid multinational region locking, it's set to US to play things i import and i've got a limited number of times to switch it back and forth for "reasons" :rolleyes:

It's just I've got the new x-files box set on order to watch with my girlfriend and don't really want to find out that i can't actually play it. It would also be good to know what to avoid buying until I fix things.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Kin posted:

Is there a list anywhere that tells you which new Blu-rays use an updated/latest AACS key?

The closest things I've ever seen to what you describe are things I couldn't post here, since the primary use of said lists is to provide a piece of information (not the version number, mind you) that can help those who want to rip the discs outright instead of playing them.

If you have a Blu-Ray drive for your computer there are ways to find the MKB version number of your disc though, since it's trivially encoded in one of the files on the disc itself. But again, given the most common use of such tools, they are not the sort of things I can link here.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The closest things I've ever seen to what you describe are things I couldn't post here, since the primary use of said lists is to provide a piece of information (not the version number, mind you) that can help those who want to rip the discs outright instead of playing them.

If you have a Blu-Ray drive for your computer there are ways to find the MKB version number of your disc though, since it's trivially encoded in one of the files on the disc itself. But again, given the most common use of such tools, they are not the sort of things I can link here.

Cool, i get you. Though it might be a moot point now. I was doing a bit of reading up on this AACS stuff and saw some mention of player lockup if there's an issue. Lo and behold it's now not playing any of my other blu rays.

This is all kinds of bullshit.

I'm on the verge of just caving in and giving these companies what they want and just forking out another £80+ for a multi-region player.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Use the Leawo free player. It's missing a few bells and whistles, but the free version seems to play anything I have.

Only problem is that some Java menus don't show up, but you can access the playlist to directly access parts of the disc.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

Use the Leawo free player. It's missing a few bells and whistles, but the free version seems to play anything I have.

Only problem is that some Java menus don't show up, but you can access the playlist to directly access parts of the disc.

Cool, thanks for that, i'll give it a go.

Though now i'm more annoyed that my PS3's blu ray has essentially been rubbished. :/

Edit: Awesome, leawo is perfect (it also says it's completely free now?). There was some minor artifacting when it loaded up a disk and it takes a few extra seconds to load (which is probably due to it being an external drive) but it played my US, UK and that stupid BvS film with no effort.

Kin fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 16, 2016

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Kin posted:

Cool, i get you. Though it might be a moot point now. I was doing a bit of reading up on this AACS stuff and saw some mention of player lockup if there's an issue. Lo and behold it's now not playing any of my other blu rays.

Yeah I was gonna say, if you tried to load a newer MKB, you almost certainly invalidated your keys and won't be able to read any Blu-rays, even older ones. That's one of several ways AACS is designed to make rippers' lives difficult.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

The last hours of Stanley Kubrick: The Masterpiece Collection (Blu-ray Disc) going for $69.99 at Best Buy.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Yeah I was gonna say, if you tried to load a newer MKB, you almost certainly invalidated your keys and won't be able to read any Blu-rays, even older ones. That's one of several ways AACS is designed to make rippers' lives difficult.

Or anyone who has a Blu Ray player not connected to the Internet?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Kin posted:

Or anyone who has a Blu Ray player not connected to the Internet?

I'm not sure what you're asking here.

The certificate invalidation mechanism that AACS uses to ratchet up protections and disable earlier keys doesn't require Internet access to do its magic. It's not unlike an on-disc firmware update, except, if I recall correctly, the "firmware" that is updated (more of a certificate store, really) is separate from the main firmware so it can't be (easily?) flashed back, and that particular separation of design is (I'm pretty sure) baked into the AACS spec.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I'm not sure what you're asking here.

The certificate invalidation mechanism that AACS uses to ratchet up protections and disable earlier keys doesn't require Internet access to do its magic. It's not unlike an on-disc firmware update, except, if I recall correctly, the "firmware" that is updated (more of a certificate store, really) is separate from the main firmware so it can't be (easily?) flashed back, and that particular separation of design is (I'm pretty sure) baked into the AACS spec.

Ah ok, it never presented me with that option to update from disc on the PS3 though (it just said unplayable until I update the firmware). I suppose that may be a special case for PS3s though (modded or not).

Oh well, the software above seems to work perfectly and is more functional than the PS3 anyway.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Kin posted:

Ah ok, it never presented me with that option to update from disc on the PS3 though (it just said unplayable until I update the firmware). I suppose that may be a special case for PS3s though (modded or not).

Oh well, the software above seems to work perfectly and is more functional than the PS3 anyway.

Yeah, the analogy to a firmware update sorta breaks down there, because the certificate store is silently updated with every new disc you insert, even if the disc has a newer keyset and can't be played on the current device.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Kin posted:

Every component of your setup being either modded or set up to get around geographic restrictions probably has more to do with your troubles than anything else.

I certainly understand the frustration that can lead to doing that kind of stuff, but "live by the sword, die by the sword" still applies.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 17, 2016

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Criterion flash sale is on now, 50% off.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

Every component of your setup being either modded or set up to get around geographic restrictions probably has more to do with your troubles than anything else.

I certainly understand the frustration that can lead to doing that kind of stuff, but "live by the sword, die by the sword" still applies.

True, but it does seem like an excessively harsh measure and presumably it must breach some form of consumer rights?

I can understand it locking out and not playing new releases, but older stuff?

Anyway, it's a moot point because my mediabox is now working just a little bit better thanks to the thread.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Criterion flash sale is on now, 50% off.

Grabbed Cat People and the new Pan's Labyrinth.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I got four, including Woman in the Dunes. I hadn't realized they released it on BD. I hope I hope I hope they release Face of Another.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Argh, for some reason the page isn't loading; I tried multiple browsers and disabling AdBlock, but get the "Something went wrong" error every time.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

trdn89 posted:

Argh, for some reason the page isn't loading; I tried multiple browsers and disabling AdBlock, but get the "Something went wrong" error every time.

Yeah, they're getting hit really hard.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I hope it's better by the evening. When I get home from work I'm going to try and get Repo Man, and then either Kiss Me Deadly or Stagecoach. Or House. Or Island of Lost Souls. There's a lot I want.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Hellraiser limited edition set already dropped $25, down to $98.99 - http://amzn.to/2dxETTS

House of Wax 3D (original Vincent Price movie) on sale for $7.99 - http://amzn.to/2dxGGbs

The Hateful Eight - $13 - http://amzn.to/2eqWzPT

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
$5.86 - There Will Be Blood https://www.amazon.com/There-Will-B...35c093ff3d4fe33

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Hellraiser limited edition set already dropped $25, down to $98.99 - http://amzn.to/2dxETTS

Did they ever announce how limited this one is?

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Call Me Charlie posted:

Did they ever announce how limited this one is?

I just took a look and could not find that information - it doesn't seem to have been announced.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
I've had a couple of blu-ray orders from Amazon.co.uk go missing in the mail recently - any idea why this might be happening? Everything else I've ordered from international sources seems to be showing up just fine.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

trdn89 posted:

I've had a couple of blu-ray orders from Amazon.co.uk go missing in the mail recently - any idea why this might be happening? Everything else I've ordered from international sources seems to be showing up just fine.

Sometimes things get really backed up and I wonder why my UK (or Germany, or Australia, etc.) delivery deadlines are being missed, and then they all show up on the same day. Are you so far out that they're definitely lost, or just a week or two late?

Skttrbrain
Apr 6, 2008

trdn89 posted:

Ive had that happen once with them, I sent them an email and they sent a replacement. I received the replacement order in a few days, then about two months later the original order showed up.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I hope it's better by the evening. When I get home from work I'm going to try and get Repo Man, and then either Kiss Me Deadly or Stagecoach. Or House. Or Island of Lost Souls. There's a lot I want.

I was at a flea market a few weeks back and this guy with a big bin of lovely DVDs had the Criterion Stagecoach BD in there for five bucks. I've never actually seen it, but I just bought it on basic principle.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Waxwork looks great on Blu-ray. I never thought I'd get to own it in HD so that makes me happy. One thing I'm going to take a look at is the bad compositing at the end with the fire. They went cheap with that and it looked bad on VHS. I'm thinking it will probably be more obviously bad in HD.

The Anthony Hickox and Zach Galligan commentary is pretty great so far too. They both act like they want to be there and have interesting comments. They're also playing off each other well.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 18, 2016

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Sometimes things get really backed up and I wonder why my UK (or Germany, or Australia, etc.) delivery deadlines are being missed, and then they all show up on the same day. Are you so far out that they're definitely lost, or just a week or two late?

They're definitely missing; in each case I wait at least 2 weeks before requesting a replacement, and in each case the replacement copies they send out show up within a few days. The weird thing is that everything which has gone missing is part of an order with multiple items shipping separately (usually multiple discs I'm preordering); the item which goes out second always shows up right on schedule.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Fresh from their successful Kickstarter for early African-American cinema, Kino Lorber is now crowdfunding for a set of films by early women filmmakers!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kinolorber/pioneers-first-women-filmmakers?ref=hero_thanks

Among the directors represented will be Alice Guy Blaché, Mabel Normand, and Lois Weber.

Also, Kino Lorber will be releasing Alfred Hitchock's Lifeboat soon. It currently only has a UK release on Blu-Ray.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 19, 2016

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

Neo_Reloaded posted:

As much as I love Hellraiser this still seems like a terrible deal for two good movies plus a lovely one.

(said the person who spent $30 on chopping mall (worth it))

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

justbread posted:

As much as I love Hellraiser this still seems like a terrible deal for two good movies plus a lovely one.

(said the person who spent $30 on chopping mall (worth it))

There is a way to enjoy the third one, namely by skipping almost all of the Cenobite attack on the club and on the streets and zipping right ahead to the building project. Pinhead confronting and taunting the spectre of his naive self is kind of an interesting idea. But the on the spot production of new Cenobites, mass murder, and silly "themed" attack feel radically inappropriate to the theme. But I kind of like the first third and last 15 minutes of the third one.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Apparently I was wrong and the thing at the end of Waxwork was a model, not poor compositing.

A couple of gems from the commentaries Waxwork and Waxwork II Blu-Rays. Apparently Zach Galligan had put on some weight around the time of the first movie and felt kind of self-conscious about it, he deosn't really look fat at all but I suppose he's maybe a tad overweight. He was sitting in a restaurant reading a magazine and came across a review of Gremlins 2 that said "Zach Galligan looks like he eats before and after midnight", while he was eating a cheeseburger. Later, sometime in the mid-90s he was channel surfing and came across a late night movie series on USA hosted by Gilbert Gottfried who announced "Next up is Waxwork, starring Zach Galligan after eating 40 cheeseburgers!".

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
$3.99 - No Good Deed https://www.amazon.com/No-Good-Deed...d84e34690356b46

$5 each

Disclosure/Fatal Attraction 2-pack https://www.amazon.com/Disclosure-a...f9d54075d2ad6a4
Dark Shadows/Sleepy Hollow 2-pack https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Shadows...e1440cb9e677a30
The Fighter https://www.amazon.com/The-Fighter-...6fbb6832f2ee96c
Scrooged https://www.amazon.com/Scrooged-Blu...20f845984c44e9c

$5.96 - Speed https://www.amazon.com/Speed-Blu-ra...0cd7cc707d12f28
$7.88 - Once Upon A Time In America https://www.amazon.com/Once-Upon-a-...b21927d1062216b

$16.99 - Body Snatchers https://www.amazon.com/Body-Snatche...9362b9e8fe02683

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 19, 2016

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I misunderstood that post and thought for a minute that there was a Fatal Attraction 2 and I had so many questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I misunderstood that post and thought for a minute that there was a Fatal Attraction 2 and I had so many questions.
In this one a bunny boils a lady alive.

• Locked thread