Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

TwoQuestions posted:

One thing I've been chewing on in my head is why do Libertarians believe private property is a thing? Why do they think they're entitled to things they've claimed as their own? If someone wants to rob you of something you bought, why should anyone feel bad for you for failing to protect what you think is yours?

Just as they think you should starve if you can't get food rather than rob others, why do they feel entitled to the strength to protect what's supposedly theirs?

Libertarian philosophy has a non-aggression principle as one of it's core moral directives. In a Libertarian Society™, everyone's property is protected because all of the participants will respect each other's property rights. The very existence of state authority is what corrupts people and prevents them from following this moral imperative on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
That's not really true. They recognize that people will initiate force for any number of reasons absent a state. Where the idiot utopianism comes in is their solutions to this.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Libertarian "philosophy" and economics are entirely and wholly based around the concept of "dibs" and that alone.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Tricky D posted:

Libertarian philosophy has a non-aggression principle as one of it's core moral directives. In a Libertarian Society™, everyone's property is protected because all of the participants will respect each other's property rights. The very existence of state authority is what corrupts people and prevents them from following this moral imperative on their own.

That sounds very similar to what Muslims say, and one other religion whose name I can't remember. "Everyone knows and follows our laws instinctively, except bad people. They screw it up for everybody with their lies and evilness."

If you want to know how "natural" property rights are, put a piece of pizza next to a dog and say it's yours and to not eat it, then turn your back and leave the room. Unless you have the best-trained dog in the world, you'll soon find out how natural it is to respect other people's possessions. Even if the pizza remains uneaten, it's only through the dog following your imposed rules, not any instinct of it's own (unless your dog doesn't like pizza).

People seem to think the NAP just happens for free, but it doesn't. Even a saint could easily break it without an ounce of ill will in their heart. It takes effort to enforce that rule, hell it takes significant effort to define "aggression" precisely, which if you talk to 5 libertarians, you'll get 10 different answers.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

TwoQuestions posted:

People seem to think the NAP just happens for free, but it doesn't. Even a saint could easily break it without an ounce of ill will in their heart. It takes effort to enforce that rule, hell it takes significant effort to define "aggression" precisely, which if you talk to 5 libertarians, you'll get 10 different answers.

It seems like most of the conflicts in a libertarian system are due to conflicting ideas of what constitutes aggression, with people picking and choosing their definitions depending on what benefits them the most at the time.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Vindicator posted:

It seems like most of the conflicts in a libertarian system are due to conflicting ideas of what constitutes aggression, with people picking and choosing their definitions depending on what benefits them the most at the time.

You put it much better than I did.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tricky D posted:

This is a problem with all stateless systems. Anarcho Syndicalist thought has the same issue.

Anarchism is bad mmmkay?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Vindicator posted:

A lot of it also come from how it conflicts with itself in regards to ownership, especially self-ownership; they say "you always own yourself" but then sometimes argue that it's acceptable for a person to sell themselves into slavery if that's what they want. Ignoring that economic inequality will mean that people will sell themselves into slavery just to survive if they suffer enough random misfortune.

Which is really another problem they never seem to have an answer before beyond "but charity!!!" The thought is that people have complete, 100% total control of themselves and their lives while ignoring that reality will sometimes blindside you with awful tragedies that you can't control. I tend to use the example of somebody that steps off the curb and gets hit by a runaway bus and is crippled for life. What do you do for them?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Libertarian "philosophy" and economics are entirely and wholly based around the concept of "dibs" and that alone.

More like "I get to define what dibs is".

Deimus
Aug 17, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

This is a problem with all stateless systems. Anarcho Syndicalist thought has the same issue.

No it doesn't. I'm not a syndicalist but they have NAP taboo's like AnCap land does. It's follows the Hegelian/communist line of thinking that a 'state' is an ideal, alienated body that regulates class, in favor of the ruling class within the, material, civil sphere of society. They would have no taboo's with policing, organization, taxonomic hierarchies. It's about collective ownership of the things that affect society (as opposed to private ownership of these things) based on need.

Capitalism simply can not exist without a state, and Ancaps just think 'gubernment bad'. Though syndicalism/anarchism may have some things wrong, in no way do anarchists have the same ideological failures as ancaps do.

Deimus fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Oct 16, 2016

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Deimus posted:

No it doesn't. I'm not a syndicalist but they have no dumb NAP taboo's like AnCap land does. It's follows the Hegelian/communist line of thinking that a 'state' is an alienated body that regulates class, in favor of the ruling class. Within the, material civil sphere of society. They would have no taboo's with policing, organization, taxamonic hierarchy. It's a society of collective ownership of the things that effect society (as opposed to private ownership of these things) based on need.

A rose by any other name.
An organized society under a common system of government is a state. Whether that is your local commune, your king, or a democracy, it's still a state.

"Stateless" philosophies always rely on a renamed state or have hilariously naive notions of how people will act, given no body of authority over them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A lot of it also come from how it conflicts with itself in regards to ownership, especially self-ownership; they say "you always own yourself" but then sometimes argue that it's acceptable for a person to sell themselves into slavery if that's what they want. Ignoring that economic inequality will mean that people will sell themselves into slavery just to survive if they suffer enough random misfortune.

Which is really another problem they never seem to have an answer before beyond "but charity!!!" The thought is that people have complete, 100% total control of themselves and their lives while ignoring that reality will sometimes blindside you with awful tragedies that you can't control. I tend to use the example of somebody that steps off the curb and gets hit by a runaway bus and is crippled for life. What do you do for them?
Buses are inherently collectivist anyway.

Also, "you always own yourself" is a pretty good summary of libertarians in general if you think about it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Nessus posted:

Buses are inherently collectivist anyway.

Also, "you always own yourself"* is a pretty good summary of libertarians in general if you think about it.

*For certain definitions of "you," "own," etc.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Panzeh posted:

The problem with the third parties that focus on local elections is the presidential runs are really the only way to get national visibility atm.

How is that supposed to be a problem? National visibility does you no good if there's no party for that visibility to help. You need a decent stock of candidates all across the country who can run viable campaigns before you're helped blowing your meager funds as a minor party on national advertising/campaigning.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Oh man, Cedar Rapids has a Libertarian running for sheriff: http://www.rickstewart.com/

On his webpage, he details his curious thoughts on such law enforcement-related issues as health care, immigration (this is not a sheriff-level concern), gay marriage, and student loans.

Also this is a good starting point for wondering why the hell a position like sheriff is elected.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Golbez posted:

Also this is a good starting point for wondering why the hell a position like sheriff is elected.

The sheriff usually runs the entire executive branch of a county, they're not just some rando cop. That's why they're elected.

Some counties make this clearer by splitting the role so that a position titled something like "county executive" or "county president" takes on most of those duties and makes it so the sheriff really is just a police chief, but you're not usually getting those until the county has a couple hundred thousand people.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I am confused about who does what.

Edit: this comment was intended for slack, but it's just as good here.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 17, 2016

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

fishmech posted:

The sheriff usually runs the entire executive branch of a county, they're not just some rando cop. That's why they're elected.

Some counties make this clearer by splitting the role so that a position titled something like "county executive" or "county president" takes on most of those duties and makes it so the sheriff really is just a police chief, but you're not usually getting those until the county has a couple hundred thousand people.

Wikipedia posted:

Linn County is a county located in the U.S. state of Iowa. As of the 2010 census, the population was 211,226, making it the second-most populous county in Iowa.

So we're probably past that point.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How on earth does a libertarian run to control the agents of the state's monpoly of force?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

How on earth does a libertarian run to control the agents of the state's monpoly of force?

A hypocritical libertarian?! Why, I never!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah yeah I know but like, how does one construct the sentence "The police are bad, that's why I want to be chief of police."

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Golbez posted:

So we're probably past that point.

Doesn't look like any county in Iowa currently splits the roles that way, so it might require the state to pass a law allowing for the split? (Some states specify ins tate law the allowable forms of county and local government, others don't)

It's also something that doesn't often happen when all area in a county is part of an incorporated municipality (as is common in the Northeast) or in counties where a very large portion of the residents are part of one or a few towns (as Linn County is with Cedar Rapids).

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah yeah I know but like, how does one construct the sentence "The police are bad, that's why I want to be chief of police."

By ending it with "so I can make the police so bad that they are abolished forever".

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, the same reason any anti-government politician gets into office, to gently caress poo poo up from within. Starve the beast, re-introduce common sense to government, eliminate red tape and regulations.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009
Don't forget graft. The state is as bad as Nazi Germany, and who wouldn't find it moral to steal from Nazis and redirect resources to more worthy people? It's totally not crony capitalism when the libertarians do it.

Tom Woods' podcast is great for gems like that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

To be fair graft is the actual reason they all get into office, starving the beast is just their cover for smashing and grabbing everything they can. Sell off a bunch of public assets to your friends, you're getting sweet kickbacks and crippling the government at the same time. It's win win.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

OwlFancier posted:

To rein them in. It's actually something I could see a non-libertarian make a solid case for, depending on how awful the local police have been.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah but there's a difference between someone who thinks the police are badly run, and someone who thinks the concept of police is anathema.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

A libertarian analyzes The Autobiography of Malcolm X:

quote:

Malcolm never distinguishes between victimless crime (drugs, bootlegging, prostitution, gambling) and regular crime (burglary, robbery). For him, it's all "hustling" - one person preying on another. Indeed, Malcolm appears to regard all for-profit business as "hustling." While he's clearly aware that mutually beneficial trade exists, the fact that trade is mutually beneficial isn't morally significant for Malcolm. Purely charitable motives are the only ones he sees as admirable.

Okay, attempts to analyze.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, the same reason any anti-government politician gets into office, to gently caress poo poo up from within. Starve the beast, re-introduce common sense to government, eliminate red tape and regulations.

Basically Ron Swanson.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
http://www.chronicle.com/article/Is...CampaignId=4285

lmbo

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Sure you didn't mean to post this in the PYF Dark Enlightenment thread?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Relevant to the thread, noted libertarian Julian Assange is (to no one's surprise) a pedophile

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is This Economist Too Far Ahead of His Time?

Well, fuckin'' yeah he's clearly living in the goddamn time tunnel.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

OwlFancier posted:

Is This Economist Too Far Ahead of His Time?

Well, fuckin'' yeah he's clearly living in the goddamn time tunnel.

Nice to know plaid still exists in the future.

You know who else was "ahead of their time"? Popular Mechanics!

They predicted a remote-controlled kitchen in 1939. And it only took 75 years to come true! (Like all good technology predictions, PopMech thought the future would be exactly like the current day, except more complicated and, somehow, dumber.)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Woah, people finally noticing Robin Hanson, the guy who's racism I credit with helping me stop being an Internet Rationalist (or at least with teaching me that very smart people can be very stupid). Years and years before Roko's Basilisk, this guy was saying that differences in reproductive rates meant that the future would belong to the Hmong.

Also, I can't remember which thread it was, but someone on the forums claimed to be professionally connected to him and said that almost all the research work he gives his TAs is about the economics of cuckoldry.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

fishmech posted:

How is that supposed to be a problem? National visibility does you no good if there's no party for that visibility to help. You need a decent stock of candidates all across the country who can run viable campaigns before you're helped blowing your meager funds as a minor party on national advertising/campaigning.

There are third parties that do that and absolutely no one knows about them.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Doc Hawkins posted:

Woah, people finally noticing Robin Hanson, the guy who's racism I credit with helping me stop being an Internet Rationalist (or at least with teaching me that very smart people can be very stupid). Years and years before Roko's Basilisk, this guy was saying that differences in reproductive rates meant that the future would belong to the Hmong.

Also, I can't remember which thread it was, but someone on the forums claimed to be professionally connected to him and said that almost all the research work he gives his TAs is about the economics of cuckoldry.

Legal Opinion Topics
2. Contract: What remedy or damages for cuckold?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
As I posted in the PYF Dark Enlightenment Thinker thread:

divabot posted:

These loving people and their obsession with a BIG BLACK MAN who will CUCKOLD them!!

LessWrong gets a fair bit of play as the neoreactionary incubator, but to be fair OvercomingBias, where the LessWrong Sequences originally ran, was and is hugely friendly to NRx tropes. Particularly cuckoldry, which Robin Hanson has much important information on. Women rarely rape men, but they do cuckold them, after all. And he'd just like to explicitly equate the two, in answer to you foolish irrational humans who are not GMU econ professors. Searching the blog for the word "cuckold" finds many revelatory posts.

(I will give Hanson important points over the typical LW or NRx: he has genuine degrees he actually earnt and shows signs of expertise, at least in his field itself. But Jesus H. Yudkowsky, how the gently caress is this guy still married.)

The RationalWiki article needs more on the OB/Hanson link to early NRx, but that may well need the help of someone who was reading at the time (I only started late 2010).

Also "futarchy" is nowhere near as cool as you might think from the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

divabot posted:

As I posted in the PYF Dark Enlightenment Thinker thread:

Also "futarchy" is nowhere near as cool as you might think from the name.
I believe the general opinion is that rule by anime women with big dicks would be greatly preferable to rule by libertarians