Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Did we get a Garnet before this or is this the first time we've brought attention to what it teaches?

E: new page, new lease on life update the previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
This is the first time you get a Garnet.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

I remain confused as to the timescale - Lindblum isn't exactly close to Alexandria, did Zidane just go 'hey guys I'm just gonna be gone for a day or two, later'? The fastest way to get there is via airship too, since there's no gargant route that leads directly there.

Maybe he went on Choco. I dunno what the explanation would be if you haven't been chocoboing though.

Also the music for the Hilda Garde 3 is very good. I like that the game gives you a preview of it as well.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Plus, as far as major visual changes go, you've mainly got your hair and your clothes and hair is a lot easier to do dramatic scenes of, since it can happen quickly (and you can't really undo it like an outfit, showing your character's decisiveness) and you can keep the camera on them the whole time without getting into skeevy territory.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I remain confused as to the timescale - Lindblum isn't exactly close to Alexandria, did Zidane just go 'hey guys I'm just gonna be gone for a day or two, later'? The fastest way to get there is via airship too, since there's no gargant route that leads directly there.
A timeskip is implied. After all, Cid's building the airship you get to use immediately once Zidane and Co. get back to Lindblum.

I mean it's not like they have much else to do in the meantime.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Timeline's kinda vague, but the timespan is like a week at the absolute max. I'd guess two days myself.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
On the 17th of February, 1800, the party encounters Kuja at the bottom of Gulug and rescue Hilda. On the 18th, the party discusses Hilda's story. On the 19th, Zidane finds Dagger at her mother's grave. On the 20th, they return, and on the 21st, the Hilde Garde 3 launches.

For reference, disc 3 begins on February 3rd. The beginning of the game is on the 15th of January. On February 7th, Napoleon was confirmed First Consul. On the 13th, the Banque de France was founded.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So what's Beatrix doing while we're off saving the world? Recovering from her wounds?

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013

Glazius posted:

So what's Beatrix doing while we're off saving the world? Recovering from her wounds?

Hiding from war crime tribunals in Argentina.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Bregor posted:

This game was released in 2000, she's just trying to give herself the Rachel.

Even Rachel didn't have a Rachel in 2000.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

On the 17th of February, 1800, the party encounters Kuja at the bottom of Gulug and rescue Hilda. On the 18th, the party discusses Hilda's story. On the 19th, Zidane finds Dagger at her mother's grave. On the 20th, they return, and on the 21st, the Hilde Garde 3 launches.

For reference, disc 3 begins on February 3rd. The beginning of the game is on the 15th of January. On February 7th, Napoleon was confirmed First Consul. On the 13th, the Banque de France was founded.

That sounds bizarre considering how the next update starts off.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

All of the kingdoms of this world fell in a month. :stare:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well, all the kingdoms of the world are located on one continent.

Always the greatest disappointment for me in terms of FFIX's world. The other continents are pretty much useless.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There's only, like, three of them though.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I think this is above the lpix image size limit, just barely, so have it here I guess.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Tbf they all got nuked by giant God-creatures.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You can also reach each kingdom in less than a day on foot.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Fister Roboto posted:

You can also reach each kingdom in less than a day on foot.

Unless you wander around Treno's borders. Then a week can pass in a few minutes.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
and I am now caught up with the LP in my playthrough. Never really did Choco Hot and Cold or really gave an effort to collect Quina's Blue Magic. Never really been a fan of Blue Magic or it mechanics in most games. I screwed up the Kupo Nut quest but from what I can tell, that won't be a big deal if I don't see it through.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Blue Mage is my favorite class.

I just wish it was good in my favorite FF. :smith:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I think a combo of FFV's skillset and Quina's learning method (or a similar one) would make it much more balanced. As it stands it's always either not worth the trouble or insanely overpowered

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

mateo360 posted:

and I am now caught up with the LP in my playthrough. Never really did Choco Hot and Cold or really gave an effort to collect Quina's Blue Magic. Never really been a fan of Blue Magic or it mechanics in most games. I screwed up the Kupo Nut quest but from what I can tell, that won't be a big deal if I don't see it through.

I don't think there's anything really worthwhile from the Kupo Nut quest, but I could be wrong. it's of vital importance to the 100% speed run, I'm sure

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I always liked the 8 method of learning where I just have to get the drop from a monster and then just give it to the blue mage. Though the method of using Blue magic in that game is not the best.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ratchel trained at the forest until she was ready "I am ready" When she found Meltigemini CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: LOOK OUT RETCHEL

3 seconds slower than Mega64. :(

Say hi to the Desert Palace team. It can murder the boss.

That's about all it can do.

Saving here is extra important, as this part is rather reset-prone.

I get the bloodstones, both for gear and for making the boss a scrub.

Unfortunately, some of these screens are really long.

Which leads to random encounters. Remember how much trouble it was for Kukri and Tinhank at disc 2? These guys are a lot worse.

Grimlocks, for example, are level 30. This gives the party a .4% chance of running. Papito's Stop has an about 16% chance of hitting.

This is not counting the part where they're attacking with an absurd variety of status effects.

It gets annoying, so I decide to mess around with my moves from CH&C.

Heck yeah. The Magic Racket is boosting Bort's holy damage so she gets Real People Numbers out of it.

It doesn't help when trying to run from the other Grimlock, who does to me what I wanted to do to them.

Turns out, walking reduces the encounter rate enough I can hit screen transitions, consistently enough that I get through the dungeon without too many more resets.

And it means Bort's pimp-strutting through the place like she owns it.

That doesn't mean I wipe to every encounter. Sometimes that 16%-ish chance kicks in!

Other times we just get blasted for trying.

Eventually, I get to the second moogle.

Oh jubliation!

The boss at the end is a joke compared to what we had to do to get to this point.

:smug:

Well, might as well demo Ratchel's new move.

I mean, I went through all that work with Ark to steal the Holy Lance. Gotta be worth something, right?

:geno:

I've... killed no dragons. Stop does not count as killing.

Carbuncle is the one summon of Bort's worth a drat at level 1, and it's mostly here.

Meanwhile, more super moves. Papito's Flare, for example.

It does a reasonable lump of damage, though lacking an elemental boost like Holy.

Valia Pira tries Reflecting itself. This merely wastes its one turn, and doesn't matter as I'm bouncing spells off of Bort anyway.

Goddamn I love casting Holy. I should play FFT again, isn't it the most accomidating FF game to spamming Holy?

And then Limit Glove wrecks it.

Gitan's return to the Palace has flee, so it's nbd.

So here we are at the Lost Continent. Bort's been kidnapped to unknown ends.

It's the perfect time to gently caress around with zombie whales.

Zombie Powder inflicts, unexpectedly, zombie. It doesn't deal damage like the Dracozombie's Zombie Breath did, so it's easy to get the entire party corpse'd.

And then I blow up the whale with super attacks.

After all, zombies don't get EXP.

I try to get the Octagon Rod before my next evil scheme, but a problem occurs.

Turns out, the cutscene with the Bishop involves a full free heal because it forces you to take Papito. The game won't let you eject the only healthy party member and end up with a team of KOed members, I guess.

I didn't notice until it was too late.

Luckily, I saved after getting the party zombified.

Here we are, back at the King Ed Plains. I'm going to do some grinding.

Specifically, killing dragons.

I have taken a dragon's life, and thus Dragon's Crest deals 1 point of damage instead of nothing.

King Ed Plains has the highest DPS (dragons per second) of anywhere in the world, and unlike Worm Hydras and Grand Dragons they're weak and fragile here. With the nearby healing water (which literally only restores HP and MP) and absorbing Thunder with Coral Rings, there's no danger.

Anyway, I eventually wrap up there and get back to progress.

The ~agas are neat but the important thing is elemental absorptions on a weapon. Including Wind. Especially Wind.

After all, there's one forced encounter with Red Dragons down here.

The Red Dragons have 3 attacks. One is Aerial Slash, which is mostly lethal to everyone. Except Papito.

One is Twister, which is assuredly lethal to everyone. Except Papito.

Their third attack is a regular physical named Dive. It has 51 attack. But! Refer to that shot of the Octagon Rod and you'll see Papito has 48 defense. Mantra Band/N-Kai Armlet/Black Robe/Protect Ring.

He'll always survive Dive and has Auto-Potion. Papito is in very little danger.

With that, I can use Stop at my leisure. His other 11 magic stones go towards Half MP to double the number of Stops. Red Dragons are level 36 with 6 magic evasion, so Stop isn't entirely accurate, but Focus can assuage some of that and, hey, no real danger.

This is the last mandatory Stop of the game. Bye, old friend. This challenge wouldn't be possible without you.

Bort doesn't consume MP during this cutscene. Bort actually doesn't have enough MP to cast Terra Homing normally.

Anyway, Meltigemini. A lot of what I've been doing is because he's the first boss who can kill the party with a single move consistently. Viral Smoke is always a wipe, and multi-target Bio is a wipe unless someone has Reflect.

Those and its 24k HP are why I ground up Dragon's Crest.

Dragon's Crest deals damage equal to the number of dragons killed squared. After I killed the Ironite, I had one dead dragon on record and thus the move dealt 1^2 or 1 damage. How many dragons did I kill while there?

100. Which makes Dragon's Crest hit the damage cap.

Gitan attacks with MP Attack and Demon Killer. It deals reasonable damage.

Quark has auto-life from the Rebirth Ring, and they casts it on Ratchel. This way, she and her Dragon's Crest will survive Viral Smoke. She has Auto-Reflect to get around Bio.

Dragon's Crest costs 16 MP, and her level 1 MP is exactly enough for two.

Unlike most attempts at Meltigemini, it doesn't go for its party wipe moves. This is the gentlest Meltigemini I've ever fought.

So I have enough time to pop an ether and launch a third Crest.

It's frankly overkill since I already did over 22,000 damage to it, but I wanted to be safe against a thing with nonelemental party-wide attacks.

With that, the biggest roadblock for a while is over.

Kukri does not have the MP to cast Bahamut. I imagine she's staying with the gang because a level 1 queen would be embarrassing.

We can leave Alexandria in Beatrix's capable level 23 hands.

REGISTER OF RESETS:
One to Tidal Flame Garnet for the hell of it; Unknown number lost to plant spiders spawn numbers; died to Flans without Flee; Untimely crit pushed Sealion to fatally Blizzara; less work to suicide on optional Type A fight than to win or reset; incredible number of resets for phoenix down RNG; and then again; Marcus gained levels; Snared by the Mandragoras leaving Quan's Dwelling; Only one on a pointless phoenix down rng; Antlion did not cooperate; Again, Antlion did not cooperate; Soldiers beaten too hard once; twice; thrice; Gitan lied Cleyrans died; Tinhank and Marcus didn't make it; bonus fourth Soldier beating; Alexandrian Gauntlet toll: Beatrix 3, Beatrix vs Bandersnatch 2, Beatrix vs Bandersnatch 1, Beatrix 3; Knuckleheaded death to Ralvuimago; Actually two of them; dunked by Hilgigars; Stroper sweepstakes; resources depleted by zombies; Stroper sweepstakes 2; ran out of magic tags; Stroper sweepstakes 3; Auto-Potion; Beaten to Bort; zombie-on-zombie violence; more zombie-on-zombie violence; Stroper sweepstakes 4; Stroper sweepstakes 5; Magic Elevator Ride zombies: Gitan striked, Roulette suicide, Roulette suicide 2, Gitan striked 2; Counter and Auto-Potion do not mix; Ramuh and Shiva insisted on sucking; Forgot the Forgotten chocobo tracks; got hosed up on the way; Epitaph; Epitaph; Epitaph; Epitaph grinding is risky; Desert Palace Random Encounters: Annoying, Dangerous, Random, Bullshit, gently caress, Dammit, Why; Bishop removed Zombie.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Heresy.

But as OFS said, the beach area by Chocobo's Forest only has Ironites and Serpions as random encounters.

Both count as dragons and Serpions often come in groups of two, so it's the best place for building up Dragon's Crest.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 15, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mega64 posted:

Some parts of the story may be hard to believe, but please here me out.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

C) Who was the hedgehog pie in the Desert Palace? :stare:
Devon Aidendale!

Dammit, wrong series again.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

:siren: :siren:

P-P-Princess!!! What have you done!?
I know! Zidane broke your heart, didn't he!? How dare he-
I-I-Is that true!?
Whoa, hold on. Don't jump to conclusions!

!?
Dagger! You can talk again?
Yes... I'm sorry I made you all worry.
It's okay, but your hair... It was so beautiful.

Oh, no. You look great!
Thanks, Eiko.
It's still too early to celebrate...

Yes, Ipsen's Castle on the Forgotten Continent!
That's right. We'll go there to find out how to enter Terra through the 'Shimmering Island.'
I'm sure we'll find out more about what's going on once we reach Terra.
Yeah... And hopefully, we'll learn about what Kuja wants to achieve...

You can also press (X) on the bright spots on the map, and the ship will take you to those locations automatically.

We can "fast" travel to any point on the map now, which is a bit convenient.

Please let me know if you'd like to switch out your party members! I shall assist you in any way that I can during your journey.
You don't have to be so formal. Let's just relax and enjoy our flight.

Dagger has a new portrait to match her new hair style.

Party doesn't really matter for right now.

Our new airship opens up the rest of the various Disc 3 sidequests, and of course it's a giant loving airship with sweet music that we can use to see the world. It's really good stuff.

Unlike the Blue Narciss, all party members are available to talk to throughout the ship.

Dagger's finally moved on, focused on the future after Kuja is defeated.

Eiko's still grieving Mog in her own way. It's still a recent loss, after all.

Steiner's thinking of the future of his country. His home is always the foremost of his thoughts.

Quina likes food.

Freya ponders about her own home nation, and how it might have fared if circumstances were different. Freya never really knew how much she loved her nation until it risked falling completely.

Vivi's just happy to take a break from the daily misery and woe life constantly inflicts him with.

Amarant's still too cool for this poo poo.

We'll get this a little later.

I end up rolling with the women since they kinda need the most AP and because Zidane, though I don't really get in any battles with this group anyway.

Because top priority is to finish up Chocobo Hot & Cold. There's no new Chocographs, but the last two Chocograph Pieces are available.

But you need to stop! I'll go out of business if you keep going, kupo! I'll give you special bonus if you'll just quit now!

I lucked out on my first run and found eight items, which prematurely ends the round and gives a point bonus based on how much time is left.

There's one...

...and the last one!

They make up one Chocograph now, kupo! Take a look at what it says on the back. Go treasure hunting, kupo!

Five of the six chocograph pieces actually have hints as to where to find the last site for Chocobo Hot & Cold. I'll explain it more in a bit.

Because first, we have to find this chocograph.

Guess what time it is!

You can take off and land in any forest.

Choco can now fly! This actually lets us access a couple islands that the airship cannot land in, though Choco can only take off and land in forests and is generally a little slower than the airship.

Apparently in early versions of the game you could unlock the Gold form earlier, letting you skip Oeilvert, Desert Palace, and Mount Gulug. Of course, this means Dagger stays depressed and you miss out on a rare Pumice Piece, among other things.

We can now access this Chocograph.

It's on an island north of the Outer Continent.

11 Sapphires, another Pumice Piece, a Hilda Garde 3 card, and the Circlet. The best hat, it nullfies Earth damage and teaches Clear Headed and Jelly, abilities your party should've learned long ago already.

That's all the Chocographs we can find so far, so let's talk about the last area. Five of the Chocograph pieces have clues as to where to find this area. One's on the Mist Continent, one on a peninsula on the Outer Continent, one on the Forgotten Continent, one in the archipelago south of the Forgotten Continent, and one pretty much in the middle of the map. Its location is random between these five areas, so you'll have to do a bit of searching to find it. The good news is once you do find it, it'll show up on your map so you don't have to waste time finding it next time.

Once you find this shadow, use a Dead Pepper to fart your ways upwards.

Welcome to Chocobo's Air Garden, our final site for Chocobo Hot & Cold.

Say... Did you notice, kupo? This island is floating on clouds.

Ground is pretty firm. What strange place, kupo.
You're the strange one, Mene...

This area sucks to play in.

There are two separate land masses that Chocographs may be in. You could very well travel back and forth between the two, so generally if you're farming points this is a bad place to do it.

There are three Chocographs here so we do need them.

There's also one other important thing hidden here, but I'm going to wait until Disc 4 to tackle it, because that thing happens to be the game's superboss and, uh, I don't think I'm quite ready to tackle it quite yet.

I think you're ready to go to the unmapped Chocobo's Paradise! Choco wants to go, too, kupo! Try using the Dead Pepper! That's what I think...

We'll do so in a minute. First, let's finish this minigame off by finding the final three Chocographs.

This one is on another remote island off the Outer Continent.

21 Amethysts, 16 Garnets, Genji Armor, and Ragnarok. The Genji Armor boosts Magic and teaches Body Temp and Accuracy+ (Attacks never miss), which are handy. Meanwhile, Ragnarok is Steiner's best sword in the game that doesn't require beating the game in twelve hours. 30% chance of inflicting Slow, teaches the bugged Thunder Slash (instead of dealing large thunder damage, it deals 19% of a target's max HP with 0% accuracy) and Shock (roughly a regular Knight Sword attack except the Attack stat is tripled for base damage and Spirit isn't added in for bonus damage). Since Steiner's big thing is making GBS threads out large damage, this is a nice grab.

This next island is also off the Outer Continent, southwest this time, and is quite large. There's something else important here, but I'll save it for the next update.

33 Potions, 15 Annoyntments, a Dark Matter card, and the Holy Miter. This mage helmet boosts Spirit and Magic and teaches Body Temp and Insomniac. Just a regular helmet we can get early.

This last island is off the Forgotten Continent.

Nothing new (besides the Ark card but who gives a poo poo about cards), but the items are still solid. 13 Amethysts and another Ribbon and Rebirth Ring. Again, those latter two have some really nice perks, with the Ribbon giving nice elemental resistances/absorptions and buffing Magic, while the Rebirth Ring boosts Holy damage and has the highest Spirit boost in the game, really nice if you're trying to level up the very useful Spirit stat.

And that's it for Chocobo Hot & Cold! We have found all Chocographs now and every Dead Pepper spot except one that only shows up in Disc 4.

All that's left is to find Chocobo's Paradise, and it happens to be right here, in this unmarked island that's in the corner of the world map.

One Dead Pepper later...

Mene!? When did you get here?
Kupo! I followed you because I thought you'd find this place soon. I'm speechless, kupo...

The chocobos aren't very talkative right now.

It would have been better if you'd come here without the help of humans...but they have taken good care of you.

Kweh.

K-Kweh?
I'm Mene! I'll live here, too, kupo!
...Little one. Only chocobos can live here.
...No exceptions?
No exceptions...
...Choco...
Have you finished your goodbyes?

Choco, were you not looking for peace and companionship? Are there things you must take care of?
...Kweh.

Yeah, Choco can't join paradise quite yet because of that one pesky treasure we'll have to wait to find.

This area is mainly around to give hints to all the Dead Pepper locations. You know, the ones with really good loot that I used a walkthrough to find early.

You can also max out your Dead Peppers here, which would be handy if I already didn't have more than I'd ever need.

Use these abilities and seek out the treasures. I'll wait here for your return...

To talk to the blue chocobo, we have to climb up and take a waterslide to land on it, scaring it out of the water.

This is our first hint to Mognet Central.

Kwok, kwek, kweh. (But it's very hard to find.)

Anyway, we could access this area with a Mountain Chocobo, but it's not like we can do anything with this place yet anyway, so whatever.

:siren: :siren:

Really, the only reason to come here now is to listen to FF9's version of the Moogle theme, which made its first appearance in FF5 (but is likely best known from FF6).

This is the central hub for moogle delivery.

Though it's kinda under right now due to a malfunction.

I only did it because it makes my coat so soft and shiny...but after I used it all up, the gears started to grind...

We'll have to come back to this later.

Last thing we'll tackle today is Quan's Dwelling. If you have Vivi and Quina in your party at this stage of the game, you get a cool little scene.

What's wrong, Quina? You just came out of nowhere...
You no smell? Something smell wonderful...
No, my nose doesn't work like yours does...

Wh-What happened!?
I-Is amazing, Zidane! Is miracle!
?

I not know where to start! What I eat first?

I-Is sooo good!

Is delicious!!!

Hey, Quina...
I no eat anymore...
Oh, man...

Oh, what happen!? Feast is gone...

I-Is not true! I saw with own eyes!
But you were just running around...

Hey, Quina! Geez...

-----

Wh-Who you!? You the one show me illusion!?

Is illusion only if you see illusion... You saw because you travel around world.
Wh-What you mean!?

Master!? What you talk about!?
He my former master! He run away and escape training!

What!?
To eat everything not true way of gourmand! Your student already start to realize!

I-I not know... But it taste like real food!
Is all good... You travel around the world and gain imagination. People who have no imagination no taste until they actually eat!
Mmm!?
You use imagination, is possible to taste all food in world! It no matter if it story somebody else tell. Is possible to eat with your imagination!
H-How did Master's master learn to do this...?
Is because...

FADE TO OCEAN SOUNDS

Is thanks to Vivi I learn about imagination...

Grandpa...
To eat same as to live... Vivi, you understand?

Life end when you die. But imagination share with others, live forever. My spirit almost gone. Is where my imagination end...
No... Are you going away again, Grandpa?
No need be sad... Vivi, as long as you imagine, I by your side.

What?

You no see, ZIdane?
See what? I saw you guys talking into space.

Never mind, Zidane. I'll tell you about it some other time.
?
Let's get going! There are still so many things to understand!
Y-Yeah...

To summarize, Quina decided to eat through the power of imagination, which allowed Quina to experience a massive imaginary feast until they got imaginarily full. Then Quina, Quina's master Quale, and Vivi talked to a Qu apparition and held a four-way conversation with it using the power of imagination. Zidane could not see this because he does not have as strong imagination as a golem and two weird frog things that eat a lot.

Oh yeah and there's a pair of shoes in this clock, but that's completely normal at this point.

Next time, we'll check out a new town and catch up on a few old ones maybe.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 17, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also, the Ragnarok is the only item (other than the Excalibur II) to teach Steiner Shock, so if you can't be bothered rushing through the game and want to use Steiner, you might as well play H&C at some point.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Having only just got to the Air Garden (literally just before reading this update) yeah, gently caress doing Hot and cold their.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Eh, in my own recent replay that wrapped up a few days ago, I didn't mind doing H&C at the Air Garden that much. It's not like you have to spend much time there doing it anyway, and it's still pretty easy to get a few things consistently. There's not many places items can be on either land mass and triple points is nice for if you care about that (there's not much reason to now though).

Then again, I did also do the superboss fight there before going to Ipsen's Castle, so maybe I'm just weird like that.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

A new town?

Oh god, it's almost time for that isn't it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Quan becoming Obi-Wan Kenobi by gaining enlightenment from eating too much food rules.

And I can agree on the Air Garden being the worst place to play H&C. It's even worse than the Lagoon when you have halved time.

Mega64 posted:

There's also one other important thing hidden here, but I'm going to wait until Disc 4 to tackle it, because that thing happens to be the game's superboss and, uh, I don't think I'm quite ready to tackle it quite yet.

:allears:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

One detail I liked in the Chocobo Paradise is Zidane's pose when riding Choco. His arms are just resting on Choco's back, not holding reins or anything, so he isn't steering Choco and telling him where to go.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Quan becoming Obi-Wan Kenobi by gaining enlightenment from eating too much food rules.

And I can agree on the Air Garden being the worst place to play H&C. It's even worse than the Lagoon when you have halved time.

:allears:

I thought Quan learned the power of imagination by waiting on Vivi to become big enough to eat.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Mega64 posted:

Then Quina, Quina's master,

Should be Quale here.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

MelvinBison posted:

Should be Quale here.

I meant both but went ahead and edited it to be clearer.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Iretep posted:

I thought Quan learned the power of imagination by waiting on Vivi to become big enough to eat.

Also possible.

I bet Vivi is delicious.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

*jaws music plays in topleft corner*

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The best town is coming up next...if I had to pick a videogame town to live in, it would be this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KharlanTree
Aug 21, 2014

Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
You see me I be
Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
I managed to do this once:

My heart was pounding as I entered the final seconds. I got the last item after 2 KWEEHH?!!s. It has never happened since.

• Locked thread