Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

so a psychic type who used calm mind should be able to resist bug/dark/ghost, got it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Super No Vacancy posted:

now heres a looker

Technicolor Yawn won't fit as a name. Everything is ruined.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

oddium posted:

so a psychic type who used calm mind should be able to resist bug/dark/ghost, got it

Well, it does improve special defense.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

oddium posted:

Your trolling won't work here.

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

i actually feel bad for psychic types because theyre the only type that are afraid of literally everything but nuclear waste

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Dunban posted:

They also just released the latest S&M anime trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPj5Db8JqGg) and I spotted this:

What are these bird Pokemon? Fearow, sure, but what about the other one? It could be Braviary, but it's not an exact match.

The real important takeaway here is that there are Milotic :swoon:

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
The type matchup I dislike the most is Fire vs Ice. I mean, you start melting ice and it becomes water, the type that fire hates. Rock and steel make sense because if there's ice, you break it with something hard, not sit there with a blowtorch and hold it steady over the ice for a minute or two. We clear streets of snow with steel shovels and vehicles, not with some hot air gun.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Yeah, but that's just because of efficiency. Don't tell me you wouldn't use a flamethrower to clear snow if you could.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

Willsun posted:

The type matchup I dislike the most is Fire vs Ice. I mean, you start melting ice and it becomes water, the type that fire hates. Rock and steel make sense because if there's ice, you break it with something hard, not sit there with a blowtorch and hold it steady over the ice for a minute or two. We clear streets of snow with steel shovels and vehicles, not with some hot air gun.

Its about identity integrity. Once the ice is no longer ice, youve defeated the ice. Water is a whole different issue. Also, once you melt a Jynx its not suddenly a water type Jynx, its a water type puddle of inanimate water.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Space T Rex posted:

Its about identity integrity. Once the ice is no longer ice, youve defeated the ice. Water is a whole different issue. Also, once you melt a Jynx its not suddenly a water type Jynx, its a water type puddle of inanimate water.

Does it still have the face makeup and a dress as a puddle?

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Dragonwagon posted:

Yeah, but that's just because of efficiency. Don't tell me you wouldn't use a flamethrower to clear snow if you could.

In a Mad Max world yeah. Give me that flamethrower guitar. :megadeath:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

It always kind of bothered me that ice isn't strong against water. Water smothers fire, fire melts ice, and ice freezing water would make sence form a perfect circle.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I have lit snow on fire with gasoline and a torch.

It did not go well.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It always kind of bothered me that ice isn't strong against water. Water smothers fire, fire melts ice, and ice freezing water would make sence form a perfect circle.

Just use Freeze Dry all the time

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
How does dry ice fit into this? There should be a dry ice themed pokemon whose ability is that anything on the battlefield with it also becomes ice type.

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
Psychic being good against poison is one of the only ones that really gets me. I get bug > dark because of Kamen Rider and such, but are psychics really that well known for their ability to heal poison? I'm probably missing something obvious, but I don't *think* I've ever heard of that.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Its because psychic is smart enough to cure poison, I've always figured.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

My only guess is that Psychic being overpowered in gen 1 was intentional. (as over 20% of the pokemon in Gen 1 were poison).

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it's gonna rule in gen viii when monsters can have 3 types but moves can only be 2x effective

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Vernatio posted:

Psychic being good against poison is one of the only ones that really gets me. I get bug > dark because of Kamen Rider and such, but are psychics really that well known for their ability to heal poison? I'm probably missing something obvious, but I don't *think* I've ever heard of that.

Historically? Yeah, 'psychic' powers have been linked to healing in all sorts of context (especially around the turn of the century).

Also being able to suppress or cure poison is a really common psychic ability in fiction.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

oddium posted:

it's gonna rule in gen viii when monsters can have 3 types but moves can only be 2x effective

the era of tyranitar begins anew

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ruggington posted:

the era of tyranitar begins anew

when, exactly, did the era of tyranitar end?

dude is still great, right now.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

when dpp gave people the hope that he could be stopped

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

oddium posted:

Finally a Flying/Water/Dragon Gyarados.
Oh wait, they already had a chance to make Mega Gyarados Water/Dragon and they went Water/Dark because they apparently hate me personally.

(I am willing to settle for a physical flying move in Gyarados's move pool).

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Two fun loving, fun looking dirty boys.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

ChrisBTY posted:

Finally a Flying/Water/Dragon Gyarados.
Oh wait, they already had a chance to make Mega Gyarados Water/Dragon and they went Water/Dark because they apparently hate me personally.

(I am willing to settle for a physical flying move in Gyarados's move pool).

How about Bounce?

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Shiny alola Marowak and Muk are going to rule so hard I bet

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Seriously though, nu-Grimer and Muk rule so hard.

:allears:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

PSWII60 posted:

How about Bounce?

The sad thing is I checked Gyarados' move pool before posting and I still missed it.
And y'know what. I'll take Bounce. I am fine with bounce. I don't want to make a competitive move pool, I just want a move pool that makes sense.

Zore posted:

Seriously though, nu-Grimer and Muk rule so hard.

:allears:

Kinda hoping Alolan Grimer is a special attacker. I got burned when I tried to level a Grimer in gen 5 since it just doesn't learn physical moves until Gunk Shot at 49.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 15, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

The sad thing is I checked Gyarados' move pool before posting and I still missed it.
And y'know what. I'll take Bounce. I am fine with bounce. I don't want to make a competitive move pool, I just want a move pool that makes sense.

Bounce is, ironically, used in several of Gyarados' competitive movepools. Or at least it was in Gen IV and V.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

How many new guys on average do we usually get per gen nowadays? I feel like its not as many as it used to be and I'm worried all the Alola guys are taking up slots too. I want a million new duders to pet

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Zore posted:

Bounce is, ironically, used in several of Gyarados' competitive movepools. Or at least it was in Gen IV and V.

It still is. Mainly because it's the only physical Flying move it has. Well, Flying move period.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Space T Rex posted:

How many new guys on average do we usually get per gen nowadays? I feel like its not as many as it used to be and I'm worried all the Alola guys are taking up slots too. I want a million new duders to pet

gen 6 was the smallest gen with about 70 and 5 was the biggest with 156

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Zore posted:

those were meta-games where celebi was actually existent

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Space T Rex posted:

Shiny alola Marowak and Muk are going to rule so hard I bet

alohan marowak will not be good until it puts on some pounds or finds a skull that fits its spindly little body better

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

oddium posted:

alohan marowak will not be good until it puts on some pounds or finds a skull that fits its spindly little body better

Hey lay off, he's just big boned...

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Space T Rex posted:

Fluctuates a lot.

151- Gen 1
100- Gen 2
135- Gen 3
106- Gen 4
156- Gen 5
72- Gen 6

This doesn't include Formes (which bumps up 4 and 6 a ton) or Mega-Evos (which also bumps 6 up a lot).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Space T Rex posted:

Gen 1: 151
Gen 2: 100 (including 17 evolving to or from previously existing pokemon)
Gen 3: 135
Gen 4: 107 (including 22 evolving to or from previously existing pokemon)
Gen 5: 156
Gen 6: 72 (including 1 evolving to or from previously existing pokemon)

Additionally, gen 6 had 50 mega evolutions. 1 was for a newly added pokemon, and 2 were alternates, so 45 existing pokemon got the ability to mega evolve.

Gen 7 will probably have a relatively small number of entirely new species, but the quantity will be shored up by new forms of existing ones, and maybe new mega evolutions.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

gen 7 is going to have 200 new pokemon and 100 new forms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

50 of the forms will be for greninja