Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
Oh no these people think i'm good at math whatever will i doooooo :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

you forgot the #thisis2016

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Just because everyone in China is at least as racist as Donald Trump doesn't mean we can be racist toward Chinese/Asians. Being not as bad as China or not as bad as Trump shouldn't be the bar we're aiming for.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bamhand posted:

Just because everyone in China is at least as racist as Donald Trump doesn't mean we can be racist toward Chinese/Asians. Being not as bad as China or not as bad as Trump shouldn't be the bar we're aiming for.

Chabuduo.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bamhand posted:

I have zero control over how racist people are in USA, I am comparing their complaints to my personal experiences in China

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

bamhand posted:

I constantly make fun of the size of people's heads here. I will not stop this. I get racist garbage at me all day every day and sometimes I just wanna do it too.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Haier posted:

I constantly make fun of the size of people's heads here. I will not stop this. I get racist garbage at me all day every day and sometimes I just wanna do it too.

Oh if you're in China, knock yourself out. I am Chinese and give you permission.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i like how singling out behaviors of specific cultural/ethnic groups is racist now. like talking about or thinking about the world through ethnic or racial divisions is Bad even if not explicitly through the intent to otherize despite the fact that it's probably how most of the world perceives the world around them

its given me a weird perspective on this stuff being from a family of proud eastern europeans in america who consider themselves culturally and ethnically different and yet 'slav' is just 'white.' made worse by the fact that everyone just thinks i'm a jew instead

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When people ask I refuse to be called Chinese. I always redirect them to Hong Konger. I did confuse the hell of of some people when I referred to myself as a "British Chinese" once. that was good for a laugh.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
like today I went to swim for working out and two...I would guess 10-12 year olds followed me into the locker room and one of them was like "the foreigner will shower maybe we can have a look" and they awkwardly stood at the shower while I changed and I just ignored them because why ever bother. I had an old man scream in my face when I was changing clothes HALLLOUUUU after I finished my work out. I had a girl in my apartment complex, after I held the elevator door for her, tell me she didn't want to take this elevator. And a grandma and her granddaughter got up and moved seats when I sat down next to them on the bus.

All of this happened to me...not in the past year, not in the past month...in the past 24 hours. Should I start a hash tag? No, I came home to my wife and kid and ignored it like an adult, tho I did mock it on WeChat in one group I'm a part of, and mock it here on somethingawful.

Welcome to a day in the life of TGA, the long blond hair, blue eyed foreigner who understands Chinese. Today was worse than most...but not by much

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Where can I find more stories about weird/dumb china? I love reading them.

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

Haier posted:

Haier how long is your nose? I mean by chinese standards?

Also I find the mongolian woman stories interesting because I cant tell if she has self awarness or not.

The whole

"sorry I called you a poopy head I dont know how to deal with my emotions, very well"

"its okay in time you will learn how to deal with them"

"thank you poopy head also you have a japanese penis"

Its like you must have lost face just for forgiving her or something.

Edit:

nigga crab pollock posted:

its given me a weird perspective on this stuff being from a family of proud eastern europeans in america who consider themselves culturally and ethnically different and yet 'slav' is just 'white.' made worse by the fact that everyone just thinks i'm a jew instead

Is jew a race or religion, honestly confusess me at times.

Dicky mouse fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 15, 2016

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Dicky mouse posted:

in china? right around here:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Dicky mouse posted:

yes

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

nigga crab pollock posted:

i like how singling out behaviors of specific cultural/ethnic groups is racist now. like talking about or thinking about the world through ethnic or racial divisions is Bad even if not explicitly through the intent to otherize despite the fact that it's probably how most of the world perceives the world around them

Anthropologists are basically Nazis.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Dicky mouse posted:

Haier how long is your nose? I mean by chinese standards?
It's straight and medium.. I don't know, but usual white person size. TCM actually has a face reading category and for noses on men it directly correlates nose to penis size. For women it says their mouth size and lip size indicate vagina size. This is all bullshit, as usual with TCM.

If the Mongol hadn't been crazy I would have gladly called it quits on trying to find a girlfriend or new girl and been satisfied with her. I am annoyed I now have scrounge around for someone sane and start all over. I may always post about talking to and dating a lot of women, but it's tiring as hell and I just want one decent woman to be with and to call it quits on the rest until I leave this country. I doubt it's going to happen. I will keep posting my crazy lady stories until I self-ban myself later.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

The Great Autismo! posted:

like today I went to swim for working out and two...I would guess 10-12 year olds followed me into the locker room and one of them was like "the foreigner will shower maybe we can have a look" and they awkwardly stood at the shower while I changed and I just ignored them because why ever bother. I had an old man scream in my face when I was changing clothes HALLLOUUUU after I finished my work out. I had a girl in my apartment complex, after I held the elevator door for her, tell me she didn't want to take this elevator. And a grandma and her granddaughter got up and moved seats when I sat down next to them on the bus.

All of this happened to me...not in the past year, not in the past month...in the past 24 hours. Should I start a hash tag? No, I came home to my wife and kid and ignored it like an adult, tho I did mock it on WeChat in one group I'm a part of, and mock it here on somethingawful.

Welcome to a day in the life of TGA, the long blond hair, blue eyed foreigner who understands Chinese. Today was worse than most...but not by much

There's no racism in China. We have 53 ethnicities living peaceful with each other.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Hey now, positive stereotypes suck, too. What if you're bad at math? It's made worse. What if you're good at math because you worked hard? No appreciation.

Haier posted:

TCM actually has a face reading category and for noses on men it directly correlates nose to penis size.

What about crooked noses? And I wonder how much that has to do with the dick size stereotypes.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The thing about actual racism in America is that some of it is from minorities on other minorities and you get a discount on the national racometer for that because it's a part of their culture and therefore you should respect it.

If it weren't for the first/second gen Asian populations, the trodden upon Italianos, and the proud Puerto Ricans I don't know if I would have ever heard the word "friend of the family" in NYC, outside of hip hop or rap lyrics I mean.

E: And I suppose the occasional Florida/Israel sourced Jewish person

raton fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 15, 2016

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Sheep-Goats posted:

The thing about actual racism in America is that some of it is from minorities on other minorities and you get a discount on the national racometer for that because it's a part of their culture and therefore you should respect it.

If it weren't for the first/second gen Asian populations, the trodden upon Italianos, and the proud Puerto Ricans I don't know if I would have ever heard the word "friend of the family" in NYC, outside of hip hop or rap lyrics I mean.

E: And I suppose the occasional Florida/Israel sourced Jewish person

Are you black? If yes then you would have heard the word friend of the family a lot regardless of where you live.

If you're white then shut the gently caress up.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

a lot of white people here talking about how racism isn't a problem, hmmmm

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
irony.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Baronjutter posted:

Does mandarin even have a word for "shame" ??

The biggest shame is admitting fault, a lesser shame is acknowledging a fault exists

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Jeoh posted:

The last time I called out the inherent racism in this thread they probed me for it. Let's see how it works out this time.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jeoh posted:

I'm removing my fedora and putting on my large black-framed glasses.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

The last time I called out the inherent racism in this thread they probed me for it. Let's see how it works out this time.

You cry chicken a lot which means when it actually comes up it is harder to take you seriously.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Third World Reggin posted:

You cry chicken a lot which means when it actually comes up it is harder to take you seriously.

It's called crying wolf dummy. It's hard to take you seriously when you don't understand the words you use.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

You didn't get probated for "calling out racism" you got probated for being a howling goon.

Are you black? If yes then you would have heard the word friend of the family a lot regardless of where you live.

If you're white then shut the gently caress up.

:rolleyes:

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Sheep-Goats posted:

You didn't get probated for "calling out racism" you got probated for being a howling goon.

:rolleyes:

I'm sorry to malign your expertise on racism in America garnered(that could be a pun) as a white person living in NYC for a year.

Edit: In case you nerds don't know, Eric Garner was a black man murdered by white police for the crime of standing while black on the sidewalk in NYC.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It's called crying wolf dummy. It's hard to take you seriously when you don't understand the words you use.

crying wolf makes sense, which you rarely do

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Third World Reggin posted:

crying wolf makes sense, which you rarely do

Big words are hard, I feel you. Just keep with the hooked on phonics and you'll make it eventually.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Let's see how it works out this time.

You go about it like you think it's just an effective trolling technique.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You are a broken smoke alarm that needs it's battery pulled and thrown out. Leave FBR, you're acting Chinese.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

oohhboy posted:

You are a broken smoke alarm that needs it's battery pulled and thrown out. Leave FBR, you're acting Chinese.

Or what, you will cry about it more?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Or what, you will cry about it more?

I will leave the crying to you.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
White people going someplace like china is often their first taste of 24/7 racism directed towards them. North America is probably the least racist place in the world, but that experience foreigners feel in China is actually how a lot of people born and raised in our wonderful multi-cultural continent feel every day to some degree. It's not even always the big overt hateful things, it's the constant never ending little reminders that you're seen as an outsider, an other.

But I don't think anyone comes out of a situation like being a foreigner in china thinking "drat minorities back home better shut up about their so-called racist treatment after what I've seen in china!" I'd hope the reverse was true, it should give them an insight as to how many people back home are treated. I'm sure all the expat goons posting ridiculous china stories here would just as quickly make fun of ridiculous idiots back home as well, and not do something as silly as try to minimize the brutal racism many people in their home countries face after experiencing some minor annoyance level racism in china.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
https://m.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/35fyl8/my_favorite_jackie_chan_story/cr47urw?sort=top&utm_source=mweb_redirect&compact=true

quote:

As a Hong Kong Chinese, it's very heartening to see a fellow Hong Konger be so well-liked overseas. However, I would also just like to present some different perspectives on Jackie Chan as a person.

In general, Jackie has a far more complicated reputation here at home than he does overseas. There is no doubt that he popularized his school of physical comedy/acting, and honestly no-one else has even come close to being able to replicate it, but at the same time his personal actions and views also has earned him a fair share of disdain.

I'll be starting off with stories that are purely anecdotal and rumour-based before moving on to bigger issues, so skip a couple of paragraphs if you don't like celeb gossips.

Jackie is somewhat of an infamous sex fiend within the Hong Kong entertainment industry, quite often he has been sighted taking younger starlets into hotels from nightclubs (have personally heard stories from friends who work at clubs). His biggest scandals are probably from his numerous and quite public affairs during his wife's pregnancy, which he has gone on record to defend by saying that he was just trying to test out his best options. His irresponsibility in his love life is also why his son (known as Jaycee Chan in the west) has a different family name (that is neither his own nor the mother's), basically preventing him from being instantly recognizable as his own (illegitimate) son.

He is also known as an extremely strict parent. As in "punching your child" strict, not that it really stopped his son from being arrested in Beijing on drug charges (weed, which may or may not change your opinion of the charges depending on your views on recreational drugs). He is very cold to his child. During the above arrest instead of support he basically completely ignored Jaycee(no visit during custody, refused to appear in the trial as proof of character). Instead Jackie seemed more interested in addressing the press about how disappointed he was in him, constantly setting up press conferences to apologize for his son's actions(which, what the gently caress, you don't apologize on behalf of a grown-rear end 30-something adult).~~ He has also gone on public record to say that he will not be leaving Jaycee anything after he dies. Personally I think expecting your child to make his own fortune is one thing, but publicly saying that you are afraid he will just waste your money is another.~~ Basically, he constantly feels the need to establish how fair and just a person he is to the public at the expense of his own bastard child.

His biggest criticisms come from his political leanings, though. The records are out there, so feel free to google it if you are interested in further reading. He consistently acts as one of the more prolific mouthpieces for the Chinese Communist Party (NOT China, see below). His statements are always incredibly inflammatory ("People's freedom should be restricted" etc.), poorly-supported, very heavily propagandized, and not to mention reductionist and biased. There is no logical or reason at play in most of his political rants. His entire strategy towards commenting on any political issue is basically "I'm famous so gently caress you. Hail the Party."

As a result of these things his image has really gradually transformed into something of a punchline in local communities. The many memes that you might see of him when visiting Chinese websites are mostly done in derision.

Some of the posters in this thread have already pointed out that it's hard for someone to turn against your countrymen and all that, but I would like to note that his support isn't for China and its people, but for the oppressive single-party government regime that actively suppresses humanitarian efforts or democratic processes that attempt to return political power to the people by creating arbitrary laws to imprison human rights lawyers, or hold people indefinitely with trial (there is literally a law against "causing trouble and picking quarrels", which is so vague and poorly-defined that it allows the arrest of basically anyone for anything and yes, it pretty much is exclusively used to target political activists).

He is also fiercely anti-American, which can come off as hypocritical considering that he made a considerable part of his fortune in America.

I would like to stress that I'm not trying to discredit his cinematic achievements. That is a part of his life that is completely unrelated to who is he outside of the screen, and in it he is definitely an unparalleled legend who deserves the respect for being such.

But at the same time, he is also a global, public figure who personally comes across as being very callous about the consequences of his actions and words. And that, I think, is worrying. He basically acts like he can do and say whatever he wants, for the pleasure of his own benefits, regardless of who and how many it hurts. It's how a lot of people behave, but as a public figure his ethics should be placed under more scrutiny.

EDIT: Crossed out some of the stuff that have been disproven by sources in the thread. I apparently got a couple of things mistake about Jaycee or had outdated info. Thanks! This has sort of exploded, well beyond my expectation. Thank you for everyone who has responded, and thank you for those of you praising my English! I'm flattered, and it's been a pleasure.

I'm sorry to hear that I've ruined Jackie for some people, as that's not my intention at all. He has left a cinematic legacy behind him and that should be appreciated. But I also felt uncomfortable seeing all of the unqualified praises for how amazing he is, so I wanted to present another perspective.

Even if you disagree with me I don't mind. All that I ask is that you do your own research and make up your own mind instead of relying on knee-jerk reflexes. I've tried to reply where I can to curiosities and disagreements, but there's only so much I can handle. Plus, I'm only one Hong Konger, speaking from what I observe and trying to be objective about it, so I would be very happy if no-one just takes my word for it and try to learn more about this little city of ours.

A series of questions seem to be coming up a lot though.

How is Donnie Yen/Stephen Chow/Bruce Lee/Chow Yun-fat viewed in Hong Kong? Ans: None of those people are as controversial as Jackie Chan. Although Donnie Yen earned a few scoffs over the irony of him playing Ip-Man because it was apparently "an incredibly humble man, played by perhaps the least humble person in the universe". He seems to have that little bit of traditional Chinese macho maleness to him in interviews where he's trying to assure everyone that he's the one wearing the pants in the relationship between him and his wife (who is also a public figure).

Stephen Chow I've actually personally met! He's very different in person - incredibly intense and serious unlike his on-screen persona. But you do see the fierce intelligence behind him when he talks. I enjoy his films a lot because you can see that there is an almost scientific process to the humour he employs, and after meeting him in person you can see that it was all deliberate and calculated, which is extremely impressive. I'll just quote what one of the other comments have said because it's pretty consistent with how I see him - "He's just recluse and is very protective of his privacy. Holds grudges pretty well too since a lot of people he worked with refuse to talk to him and vise versa. Not exactly the fun loving jokester he plays on screen."

Chow Yun-fat, from one of my other responses - "He's pretty affable. He was pretty supportive of the pro-democracy protesters last year, and when he was threatened with the prospect of possibly earning less money from China because of backlash he basically said "so what". There is also a cute little social phenomenon of him being noticed by people when inconspicuously showing up in public and being dragged into an obligatory selfie. It happens often enough that there's a meme-like name for it - "捕獲野生發哥" which basically translates to "wild brother Fat captured!"

I should add to this that I made the comment about his response to the protests without any leaning towards or against the political event itself (I've grown very disillusioned with how it has turned out).

Bruce Lee - Most people see him as a relic, not really so much of a legend. Some older people claim him to be the pride of China, but his legacy has really passed its best-by date, is how it feels to me. There's a statue of him near Victoria Harbour, and that's it. All of the stuff I've learned about him came later from Western media, which makes sense, because even his "Be water" quote was originally spoken in English. He made a name for himself in America, after all. I think most people see how he died as a tragedy. There are occasional attempts to scandalize his death by tabloid magazines, but it never really gains any momentum because he's not just someone that people relate very well to anymore.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Don't treat the dog-whistle like it's human, it'll get bad ideas. It's amazing enough that it figured out how to repeat what it heard on the 24 hour news for the better part of a year, lets just give it kudos for that.

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget
The Century Of National Humiliation.

The Great Autismo! posted:

You seem to be pretty racist for even noticing these normal behaviors of human nature's curiosity, kindness in greeting you with their own way and the fact that you might be sexist in seeing woman as weak and need a man's help.

Just stay out of the country if you see all the above as a negative instead of a country that's changing and improving itself after so many foreign powers ravaged it in recent time.

But of course you are going to stay while taking advantage of the place and milking for all its worth like many others have done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

White people going someplace like china is often their first taste of 24/7 racism directed towards them. North America is probably the least racist place in the world, but that experience foreigners feel in China is actually how a lot of people born and raised in our wonderful multi-cultural continent feel every day to some degree. It's not even always the big overt hateful things, it's the constant never ending little reminders that you're seen as an outsider, an other.

But I don't think anyone comes out of a situation like being a foreigner in china thinking "drat minorities back home better shut up about their so-called racist treatment after what I've seen in china!" I'd hope the reverse was true, it should give them an insight as to how many people back home are treated. I'm sure all the expat goons posting ridiculous china stories here would just as quickly make fun of ridiculous idiots back home as well, and not do something as silly as try to minimize the brutal racism many people in their home countries face after experiencing some minor annoyance level racism in china.
Fukin' le-mao if you think racism exists in 2016.

• Locked thread