Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007

ate all the Oreos posted:

Like I've said it before in this thread but that tweet is really the perfect example of how edgelords seem to be rebelling against this really weird, skewed subjective image of what they think the rest of the world considers "normal." Viewing it with that lens I guess I could see how you could come to the conclusion that "the hippies main goal was to have long hair because society hated long hair!"

I seriously, sincerely think this is what happens when you're the kind of kid who would have ended up building at least a *bare* minimum of accidental social skills through table top gaming 20 or 30 years ago, but had the misfortune of spending your prime socializing years in a post-MMORPG world. That isn't just a really weird, skewed view. It's a shut-in's view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugJ8TQh9gaM

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Space Poodle posted:

I seriously, sincerely think this is what happens when you're the kind of kid who would have ended up building at least a *bare* minimum of accidental social skills through table top gaming 20 or 30 years ago, but had the misfortune of spending your prime socializing years in a post-MMORPG world. That isn't just a really weird, skewed view. It's a shut-in's view.

these people are nerds raised in homes with 4 tvs blasting Fox all day and their main peer group was 4chan. Living that kind of life turns people into these creatures we are discussing. Smart but not too smart, arrogant in the way only nerds can be, marinated in right wing sauce since childhood and suffering from a severe case of irony poisoning.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

these people are nerds raised in homes with 4 tvs blasting Fox all day and their main peer group was 4chan. Living that kind of life turns people into these creatures we are discussing. Smart but not too smart, arrogant in the way only nerds can be, marinated in right wing sauce since childhood and suffering from a severe case of irony poisoning.

The only at right person I know personally was raised primarily by his mom who is super progressive and has had a number of non white boyfriends (the warning sign was how mad he seemed about that last fact). I'd bet a good number of these people came from progressive households.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

Yeah no people who grew up in households like that with mentalities like this rebel against it and become, i don't know, bernie bros? It's NO YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP DAD so it generates opposites.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The best jokes in this were a) the band names and b) that there's just that fuckin Creed song on there

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

Yeah no people who grew up in households like that with mentalities like this rebel against it and become, i don't know, bernie bros? It's NO YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP DAD so it generates opposites.
Internet atheists.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/Sargon_of_Akkad/status/786971722193002496

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So Amazon recommended me a wonderful book titled "How Bad Writing Destroyed the World: Ayn Rand and the Literary Origins of the Financial Crisis" by Adam Weiner

Needless to say I bought it straight away. Not only does it have a pretty exhaustive take on why Ayn Rand is wrong, including all her influences also being wrong, it's also literary criticism and takes time to point out how lovely her writing is.

Very much recommended

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
With a title like that and a reasonable price, sold. I needed something to read at work anyway.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There's an excerpt here

http://lithub.com/how-bad-writing-destroyed-the-world/

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

quote:

Weiner's critique of Chernashevsky seems to exist in a vacuum. It's almost as if serfdom and serfdom's odious successor (did you think the aristocracy would free serfs without demanding the serfs pay them back with interest?) were not driving forces behind the violent motives of the revolutionaries. It's almost as if a dynasty whose go-to plan for discouraging dissent involved organizing pograms, whose chauvinist policies in Poland and other nations boldly walked the line of genocide and simple forced assimilation, would have no natural enemies if it wasn't for some delusional egoist writing a book about an imagined utopia...

Even though said utopia was more a quixotic attempt to return to a (still in many ways present at the time) commune system found in Russian villages. No, it's not like a regime where a major minister's name became slang for nooses (Stolypin's neckties), and whose noble Czar (upheld and defended by those like the Nabokovs) ordered massacres of priests and protesting women would EVER have enemies, right Mr. Weiner?

This is a stupid plug from a mediocre scholar for a mildly topical work of literary scholarship. With all the Red Scare that happened, people forget how vile the Czarist regime was. Read the accounts of child rape perpetrated by a landowner in Catherine's time and marvel at how such a scum was punished with a simple slap on the wrist. Explore the benign social criticism of Aleksander Radishchev's work "Journey from St. Petersburg to Moscow" and tremble at the magnificently just sentence of an exile to Siberia (the whole Siberia deal didn't just begin with the Reds, you know). Just don't give this hack more money to write crap like this.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

I feel like this review is being quoted in order to mock it, and the tone of it sort of invites it, but it has a point. Weiner sounds a little like Jim when he talks about What Is to Be Done getting past the censor, as if the tsars should have cracked down on dissent even harder than they did.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

Never thought about it like that, but the Alt Right an organic result of being raised by conservative parents and chan culture.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

I feel like this review is being quoted in order to mock it, and the tone of it sort of invites it, but it has a point. Weiner sounds a little like Jim when he talks about What Is to Be Done getting past the censor, as if the tsars should have cracked down on dissent even harder than they did.

Should have, nah, but I think it is surprising and that's most of what I got from it m

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/paxdickinson/status/787037261481316352
https://twitter.com/paxdickinson/status/787039696560001024
#TheDuckWasRight

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
In which MMS is under the impression only immigrants are born physically deformed https://mister-mean-spirited.blogspot.com/2016/10/what-gently caress-happened-to-country.html

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

In which MMS is under the impression only immigrants are born physically deformed https://mister-mean-spirited.blogspot.com/2016/10/what-gently caress-happened-to-country.html

I, son of immigrants, believe other immigrants are ruining the country!:qq:.

I'm also kind of stunned that this guy has lived into middle age and still thinks like a 13 year old.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Are there any more of those lovely D&D cards from the OP?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Are there any more of those lovely D&D cards from the OP?

There might be, but the guy who created them realizes they were embarrassing and deleted the original post so they're harder to find now

Here are a few that aren't in the OP

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

That's the stuff. Thanks, TVB.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
42,000 likes?

Are you kidding me? That's terrifying.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I realize Pax is tilting at the windmill that is Gawker, but credit when credit is due to a stopped clock: There is no way in which Ken Bone's reddit career is newsworthy

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Monocled Falcon posted:

Never thought about it like that, but the Alt Right an organic result of being raised by conservative parents and chan culture.

It's not really, there's a whole shitload of factors. uber_stoat just loves to condense complicated social dynamics down to extremely simplistic truisms.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

I Killed GBS posted:

It's not really, there's a whole shitload of factors. uber_stoat just loves to condense complicated social dynamics down to extremely simplistic truisms.

Speak on that! Unpack it for us.

Welcome to SA by the way.

*I just want him to enlighten me. Darkly.

uber_stoat has a new favorite as of 20:15 on Oct 15, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

uber_stoat posted:

Speak on that! Unpack it for us.

Welcome to SA by the way.

Slap fiiiiiggghhhhttttt

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I think it's fair to say that some alt-righters are conservative-raised, and some (or most) are from chan cultures. I don't think it'd be a really good idea to apply any background to all of them, because humanity is fascinatingly good at coming up with the same stupid ideas for an amazing variety of reasons.

(I also do think that the "gently caress YOU, DAD!" idea of alt-righters having a more liberal family background seems more likely, but I wouldn't expect it to apply to all of these guys, either.)

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Puppy Time posted:

I think it's fair to say that some alt-righters are conservative-raised, and some (or most) are from chan cultures. I don't think it'd be a really good idea to apply any background to all of them, because humanity is fascinatingly good at coming up with the same stupid ideas for an amazing variety of reasons.

(I also do think that the "gently caress YOU, DAD!" idea of alt-righters having a more liberal family background seems more likely, but I wouldn't expect it to apply to all of these guys, either.)

That statement is based on knowing some of these people, southern boys raised in conservative families, steeped in a stew of welfare queens and knock out games, and then they get on the internet and radicalize when they find an echo chamber. True that there are some bad rear end rebels who strayed from the teachings of their lib parents after contracting irony poisoning, but that isn't the whole of it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Perhaps the truth is.......

somewhere in the middle.

Really though, I think it's hard to ascribe a single source to this stuff. People don't just come into this sort of shittery out of nowhere but there's lots of ways to get there.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

uber_stoat posted:

True that there are some bad rear end rebels who strayed from the teachings of their lib parents after contracting irony poisoning, but that isn't the whole of it.

That was the entire point of my post, dude.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://twitter.com/MattBors/status/787341470508412928

Frogisis
Apr 15, 2003

relax brother relax
I do think a chunk of them were probably dorky, literal-minded kids who were raised in really progressive bubbles, so all they were exposed to was anti-racism and anti-sexism, and then never grew up enough or branched out enough to see the larger patterns those ideas were fighting against, so they're holding onto a myopic resentment against the attitudes of their parents and teachers that to their uninformed eyes just looked like one-sided boasts of superiority. But most of them were probably born into it, yeah.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Frogisis posted:

I do think a chunk of them were probably dorky, literal-minded kids who were raised in really progressive bubbles, so all they were exposed to was anti-racism and anti-sexism, and then never grew up enough or branched out enough to see the larger patterns those ideas were fighting against, so they're holding onto a myopic resentment against the attitudes of their parents and teachers that to their uninformed eyes just looked like one-sided boasts of superiority. But most of them were probably born into it, yeah.

that's a lot of words to say they're privileged dicks with a really narrow set of experiences and a teenage view of authority

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Pomp posted:

that's a lot of words to say they're privileged dicks with a really narrow set of experiences and a teenage view of authority

I don't think anyone has any evidence here, and I don't think the discussion is very interesting.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

That statement is based on knowing some of these people, southern boys raised in conservative families, steeped in a stew of welfare queens and knock out games, and then they get on the internet and radicalize when they find an echo chamber. True that there are some bad rear end rebels who strayed from the teachings of their lib parents after contracting irony poisoning, but that isn't the whole of it.

See that's real interesting to me because I grew up and currently live in The South-lite (Florida) and all the alt-right people (or hell far-right people around my age) I know are from northern states or Europe, where the incredibly bad things conservatism does when it has a hold of a state for a long time aren't plainly apparent. I got a friend from Georgia who described it similarly up there too.

(Not saying your experience isn't entirely valid or even more accurate than mine, just that I find it interesting is all :shobon:)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

People from ultra conservative families just because normal conservatives and racists if they don't realize how dumb that culture is. It takes a particular type of privilege and extreme sensitivity to hurt feelings to make an alt-right person.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/16/technology/peter-thiel-donald-j-trump.html

A little heavier than supporting some fringe programmer's passion project, he's down with racial demagoguery and sexual assault to the tune of $1.25M.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Peel posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/16/technology/peter-thiel-donald-j-trump.html

A little heavier than supporting some fringe programmer's passion project, he's down with racial demagoguery and sexual assault to the tune of $1.25M.

quote:

He also said he was “proud to be gay,” the first time a Republican convention speaker had made such a statement.

fffffffuuuuuuckkkkkkkk yyyyyyyyooooooooouuuuuuuuuu

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

$1.25 mil this late in the game is a stupid waste of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jonas Albrecht posted:

$1.25 mil this late in the game is a stupid waste of money.

That's the Thiel family motto