Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Wooper posted:

He's given a radio by CIA man.

Since they put phones everywhere they could have made you use those instead.

Or at the very least allow that to be your way to continue certain side-missions, rather than running back to the underboss's respective hideouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

You don't see the wire running up to his ear in every cutscene?

I thought that was his hearing aid.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
The game seems pretty good story and cutscene wise so far, but holy poo poo is the game blurry. I've disabled DOF and motion blur, as well as put AA on low, but the game is still blurry as hell, which makes me a little ill to the stomach. Has anyone found a way to make the game not blurry?(resolution is set to native resolution)

Also, I'm finding that when I am looking around while driving, the view move seems jittery, like it jumps notches while it moves rather than moves slowly. All other framerates are fine.

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Devilbro giveth and Devilbro taketh away

jadebullet posted:

The game seems pretty good story and cutscene wise so far, but holy poo poo is the game blurry. I've disabled DOF and motion blur, as well as put AA on low, but the game is still blurry as hell, which makes me a little ill to the stomach. Has anyone found a way to make the game not blurry?(resolution is set to native resolution)

Also, I'm finding that when I am looking around while driving, the view move seems jittery, like it jumps notches while it moves rather than moves slowly. All other framerates are fine.

The Re-Shade preset removes this to an astounding degree as well as fixing the washed out colours. Cannot recommend enough.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I've eliminated a lot of blur with disabling DOF, Motion Blur, AA on low then using DSR ( setting AA to low also helped a lot with the lighting aura effect you'd get during sunrise & sunset ).

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Tried staying in the same district and just collecting fuses and it STILL crashes. I guess I can't finish this loving game and that loving sucks.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like the blur, makes it look humid like Louisiana really is :shrug:

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

ZombyDog posted:

I've eliminated a lot of blur with disabling DOF, Motion Blur, AA on low then using DSR ( setting AA to low also helped a lot with the lighting aura effect you'd get during sunrise & sunset ).

How high you going with DSR? Hows the performance hit on that? I'm barely keeping a stable 60 on my new 1080@ 1440

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
"Hey Lincoln, kill this important boss in a super armored car surrounded by a billion cops."

"Okay." *pops off bribe for cops, shotgun person in their car.*

-Mission Complete-

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Tae posted:

"Hey Lincoln, kill this important boss in a super armored car surrounded by a billion cops."

-Mission Complete-

I didn't even think of that. I just tailed him and then shot him in the head when he was buying drugs and left.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The super armored car also gets super hosed by a single grenade.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Dante18907 posted:

How high you going with DSR? Hows the performance hit on that? I'm barely keeping a stable 60 on my new 1080@ 1440
I've only gone 1.5x DSR so far, and so far there is absolutely no difference in frame rate bewteen DSR and running at 1920x1080 ( I did make the effort to check when I was playing around with it ). Your 1080 will have way more room to move than my 980 so you should be able to push it way harder assuming the UI all scales correctly at the higher resolutions.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 14, 2016

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

ZombyDog posted:

I've only gone 1.5x DSR so far, and so far there is absolutely no difference in frame rate bewteen DSR and running at 1920x1080 ( I did make the effort to check when I was playing around with it ). Your 1080 will have way more room to move than my 980 so you should be able to push it way harder assuming the UI all scales correctly at the higher resolutions.

Yeah unfortunately scaling up after 1440 gets way hosed and the ui text is all tiny as gently caress which sucks. My performance atm is rocky as hell. Luckily I was able to fix my issues by using the reshade profile which I love the look of. Might tinker in the nvidia control panel see if I can get some better AA than what is in game as it makes the game look awful.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Tried staying in the same district and just collecting fuses and it STILL crashes. I guess I can't finish this loving game and that loving sucks.

This is just a shot in the dark, but have you verified the install? I could very well be it's just buggy but it doesn't seem to crash consistently in the same place, or increasingly, for other people. Could be your download was corrupted.

I'm assuming they're working on another patch but has there been any word on what it will include?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Tae posted:

-Mission Complete-

I watched this on a stream and the guy just kinda stumbled towards the car not sure what to do, planted a bomb surrounded by 100 police and ran off.
Pay 5k bribe for instant aggro wipe, big story mission done.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 14, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

This is just a shot in the dark, but have you verified the install? I could very well be it's just buggy but it doesn't seem to crash consistently in the same place, or increasingly, for other people. Could be your download was corrupted.

I'm assuming they're working on another patch but has there been any word on what it will include?

I actually uninstalled my drivers and reinstalled them before trying this because I'm an idiot. I'll try that tonight when I get home.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Ever since getting to Frisco Fields this game has been crashing on me like crazy, it was pretty stable up until now. Annoying as hell.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
https://twitter.com/mafiagame/status/786984417533145088

Updates coming sometime.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sauer kraut posted:

I watched this on a stream and the guy just kinda stumbled towards the car not sure what to do, planted a bomb surrounded by 100 police and ran off.
Pay 5k bribe for instant aggro wipe, big story mission done.

the game becomes a ton easier once you use the upgrades and realized that traffic/vehicle laws dont mean poo poo unless its directly in front of a cop in rich neighborhood.

cool.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
At least they finally said something about fixes; I finally gave up and put this game down for a while after the 3rd time of doing a 4k roadtrip in a tractor trailer only to have it crash within a city block of my destination.

EDIT MANY HOURS LATER: Oh hey, 1.2 gb patch!

Merrill Grinch fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 15, 2016

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
My new favorite bug is calling the ammo van into an area and having it not reverse and always try to go straight which then leads it into the armed area and every AI on the map freaks the gently caress out and points at the van while you can shoot them one by one in the head.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
gently caress, I have the mission to kill jimmy cavar... but he's not there. i reloaded the game... nada

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The patch seems to have gotten rid of some of the blurriness. It did not fix the bonus mission bugs. It's really annoying because the mission markers move around so I think "Oh, maybe the boat/truck is actually there this time since the location updated" but no, still nothing.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

To be fair, the patch is only a hotfix which was advertised to fix the blurriness. Though why it is 1.2 GB large is beyond me.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Cojawfee posted:

The patch seems to have gotten rid of some of the blurriness. It did not fix the bonus mission bugs. It's really annoying because the mission markers move around so I think "Oh, maybe the boat/truck is actually there this time since the location updated" but no, still nothing.

Isn't that because the rackets are at max earn?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

gently caress, I have the mission to kill jimmy cavar... but he's not there. i reloaded the game... nada

and now i am trapped in the enzo mission, no hit squad spawns so i can't do anything. cool

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I'm pretty sure this game isn't done. As if they had a checklist of things and only got down some of it before shipping the game out. The characters, acting and story, are mostly pretty great. The art and design are fine from a visual standpoint, but there is pop-in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0igqedtkGw
and the lighting is so broken that you can't see poo poo when it's dark (even after calibrating) or during sunrise/sunset (worse when driving):

Other annoyances:
  • Train/streetcar tracks everywhere, no trains to be seen.
  • AI, as has been said, is atrocious.
  • The distance indicator for waypoints goes away sometimes, normally after clearing police chases.
  • Waypoints for side missions randomly reset, repoint to different locations (e.g. trying to return a vehicle to complete a mission will sometimes reset to show where another vehicle is)
  • The underboss bonuses range from the necessary (consigliere) to what amounts to cheat codes (clear police aggro)
  • Cover is inconsistent
  • What you can climb/leap over is inconsistent
  • Bushes are giant solid hitboxes
  • Car damage is hilariously out of date
  • Cars just magically right themselves
  • Underbosses reproduce through binary fission:

• I've had multiple cutscenes kill me as they end and I've already taken damage and people are shooting me in the face
  • Hitmen magically know your location
  • Some very bad tonal shifts when I rescue people and they go "oh god, thank you for saving my life I...I wish this rain would stop. Could do with some sun"
  • I rescued a dude getting beat by the KKK analogue and he called the cops on me
  • It's easy to make murder piles as the enemy searches for you, rounds a corner and you stab them, tossing their corpse on the mound
  • Accidentally beating missions when AI drivers get caught in intersections as they all try to turn left simultaneously
  • Accidentally just cruised through a mission in a burning building as enemies consistently took cover against the fire and burned to death
  • Crashes on the console
  • For a while it was endless, rainy night, except for a one-block section of the French Quarter, where there was sunshine. You could see the boundry of the time of day and weather
  • etc.

I should have waited to purchase. However, sometimes the bugs/glitches/nonsense go into so-bad-it's good territory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsaSPOb7xmU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

The Aphasian posted:

Car damage is hilariously out of date

Eh, car damage models have been regressing pretty heavily over the last few years

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Those are private, not unlisted.

Driving in this game is loving HORRIBLE but not due to the cars. I literally just tried to drive over a dead body that was treated like a huge immobile object that hosed my car up like I hit a wall. I was BARELY going (slow enough Lincoln would have STEPPED OUT of the car instead of bailing) and hit some railroad tracks. The car jumped 20 feet in the air and did a complete flip before landing on the wheels.

And then the game crashed again. As much as I loving love this series this game is a literally unplayable buggy mess on every single platform apparently.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Some of your videos are set to private but in general I would agree with the points you brought up; the characters are generally pretty great and the story fairly solid but there are glaring flaws with nearly everything else. While the world is much larger than that if Mafia II it also seems that much more devoid of things to do other than drive back and forth. They also tried to create a really pretty and detailed looking world but with whatever the hell they managed to cobble together its hard to see most of it because the game is a blurry mess most of the time. Whatever isn't washed out instead is hard to see because it looks like I'm trying to view it from 50-100 feet away with my glasses off rather than the nice, sharp image it should be.

I haven't come across all of the wacky poo poo that other people are reporting but I have used the 'lure everyone into the same room and murder them one-by-one' trick a few times. The strangest graphical glitch I've seen so far has been with boats and water:

I seem to remember this being a major glitch with the AssCreed pirates game where boats would instead just be divots in the water. No idea how they managed to reproduce that here...

The sky also looks horrific, like something you'd see in an Unreal engine game circa 1998, how they managed to gently caress something so simple up is beyond me... it wouldn't be so bad if the schizophrenic weather and lighting didn't constantly call attention to it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I just finished the game and had a pretty stable experience. The murder pile issue occurred a couple times, I think the script can just get on a broken loop where rather than send everyone after you, it just goes to the next enemy in a group so they march into your body pile one at a time. That said there were quite a few times I was in tough spots because the AI was smart about flanking me so that was fairly enjoyable. Lincon is not a bullet sponge, something I noticed that felt similar to GTAV.

The stealth aspect was fun but it was something that they occasionally turned off during the boss fights which can be really annoying.

Driving was pretty slow and there could have been some fast travel methods even if it was just calling a taxi to take you from one phone booth to another.

As a fan of CCR and Sam Cooke the soundtrack was probably one of my favorites of any game in the genre.

The story was pretty solid and I found myself liking the main characters. There could have been a bit more push back, and intrigue from your underbosses but that plays out in the post game so I see why there wasn't.

The last level felt, ironically, unfinished. I'm not sure what I was expecting by that point but I guess it wasn't more of the same.

Props to the game for making Shotguns not garbage at mid-range like a lot of other games do. Although the "accurate" silenced pistol probably had a lot better range that it should have. I was practically sniping with the thing.

World felt pretty alive although shallow, but I liked the number of random houses, buildings, that you could get into. Inching further and further towards the day that we can play an open world game where everything within the borders can be entered.

Bushes being impassible and impenetrable was some lazy loving design.

Dead bodies being eaten by gators was a nice touch and pretty helpful corpse disposal.

The cover system alternated between being acceptable and too sticky. Making the "leave cover" and "switch cover" happen on the same button was a stupid move.

There were a few "HaHa can't go here yet because [plot] areas that are really dumb to stick collectibles behind." Speaking of; while the Playboys were the type of thing that are obviously for the "straight white male", it was pretty cool that they kept some of the articles. The interview with Kubrick was neat. The album covers was also a nice change of pace from the usual as it fit with the times and helped engross you into the period.

The language was acceptable I suppose. There were only a few times where I felt like it was less "here's some hate speech for tone" and more "the writer has an excuse to write 'friend of the family' as many times as he can in this dialogue".

I thought the graphics were fine. I'm not the type to complain about them. Similarly the performance was good, no slowdowns, maybe 2 crashes the whole time. Not any major bugs to speak of other than the AI occasionally being weird.

Overall, this was my first Mafia game and I liked it more than Saints Row, though not quite as polished as GTA.

Grade: B+

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

and now i am trapped in the enzo mission, no hit squad spawns so i can't do anything. cool

To finish my saga, I verified my local files and that fixed it

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

And then the game crashed again. As much as I loving love this series this game is a literally unplayable buggy mess on every single platform apparently.

Nah just the occasional open world oddity glitch on ps4, no worse than AC, far cry or GTA.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Those are private, not unlisted.

Apologies, I fixed it.

Melee seemed like it was built with a different system in mind. I never needed to counter, and the charged punch mostly confused me (it even makes a pseudo-superhero charged punch noise). I really wish I could put bodies in the garbage trunk.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

https://www.twitch.tv/lothire/v/94261650

I've mostly come to accept that most big title games will have bugs these days. Mafia 3 is one of the worse offenders and would be the worst, had I not experienced a game-stopping bug in AC Syndicate right at the last mission of the game.

Thankful to have finally finished the drat thing. Collecting all the playboys/vargas paintings must have added a sizable bulk to the already long process of story mode grinding. All that wiretapping, and scraps in which to do it, then having to find stuff underground or in buildings was a huge time sink. The things I do for 1960s titties.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Uninstalled until it's patched into a functional game, if ever. Jesus, what a buggy shitshow. What seems like a great story and probably the best gunplay of any game I've played, but it's wrapped in a festering turdtilla of bugs, absent polish and unrealised potential.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
If you're on PC just cheatengine the wiretap materials. It's a bit complicated since you need to use a debugger, but the instructions are pretty clear on the CE forums.

Saves a shitton of time. Because I gave myself 99 wiretap materials and I've used almost all of them with three districts to go.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

The Iron Rose posted:

If you're on PC just cheatengine the wiretap materials. It's a bit complicated since you need to use a debugger, but the instructions are pretty clear on the CE forums.

Saves a shitton of time. Because I gave myself 99 wiretap materials and I've used almost all of them with three districts to go.

Apparently the address for wiretap boxes ties into how much a captured business earns you, so putting it at 99 will really hamper your income.

Incidentally I put mine at 5000 and boy was that silly when I went to get paid :haw:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

To finish my saga, I verified my local files and that fixed it

Thanks god you mentioned this, I ran into an issue Downtown where the Blackmail guy didn't want to finish off his quest line and this seemed to fix it.

Does anyone know what Friday's 1.3GB hotfix was supposed to fix? Because the game still kinda looks like the same crap as it did earlier... guess we'll need to wait and see what 'fixes' they have coming down the line in the next official patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Boy that post-credits scene is weird.

• Locked thread