Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E

Basic Chunnel posted:

Speaking of entrance music, I'm assuming all the generic wrestler themes are noticeably quieter than the real ones (like, you can't hear them over the crowd) because their budget ran out before they could actually test them. They're also basically mid-priced keyboard presets.

Man. Instead of licensing menu music (that you can't use), they should totally pay CFO$ to make the generic CAW themes. That would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

Chris James 2 posted:

Benoit and Hogan pretty much have to be in the top 100

If I remember right at least the roster, Kane, WWE page, and Triple H are on there

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

triplexpac posted:

I'm playing NHL 17, CFO$ Adam Rose entrance music is in this.

The Ottawa Senators use that as their goal horn music.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Lazer posted:

Man. Instead of licensing menu music (that you can't use), they should totally pay CFO$ to make the generic CAW themes. That would be great.

Seriously why don't they do that. They probably have a huge file of unused themes. Just throw them on the game.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

89 posted:

Are the improvements to the Universe mode and general gameplay worth a poo poo?

Universe mode is a buggy mess and the promo system makes no loving sense (you can lose your title if your opponent cuts a better promo). Gameplay wise, it's definitely better than 2K16. Matches, albeit too long (you can't pick the pacing this year for some reason) feel a lot smoother and the AI is way more aggressive. The new "roll of out of the ring after taking a big move" system makes matches with multiple opponents actually fun. My only criticism really is that the submission system is actually worse than last year, you can't make the CPU tap out unless their limbs are dark red.

Wait until Black Friday to pick it up.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I bought a superior wrestling game for my Atari ST off eBay anyway.

The entire game consists of digitized stills from a Hogan/Savage match. On each turn you pick a move, your opponent picks a move, and through some strategical thing I don't understand (it was just disks, no manual) it plays an animation of that move from one of their matches! It features pre-match promos with Mean Gene, introductions with Howard Finkel, and Vince on commentary! (All text, no speech.) it's... top of the line for 1987? Unrealistic though, Hoganplex was from '88.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Lazer posted:

Man how much do you think it would cost for a private citizen to commission a WWE theme song for themself? I feel like I would happily go into the lower 5-figure range for something on the level on Bobby Roode

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

The entire game consists of digitized stills from a Hogan/Savage match. On each turn you pick a move, your opponent picks a move, and through some strategical thing I don't understand (it was just disks, no manual) it plays an animation of that move from one of their matches! It features pre-match promos with Mean Gene, introductions with Howard Finkel, and Vince on commentary! (All text, no speech.) it's... top of the line for 1987? Unrealistic though, Hoganplex was from '88.

I could see Punchsport going nuts for a concept like this if it were fully-featured.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Castor Poe posted:

(you can lose your title if your opponent cuts a better promo).

Huh?

Can't you change the submission system to a button mashing system? Honestly, I always hated the way submissions worked the past year or two. I could never get them to submit. I was totally cool with the button mashing system from Def jam Vendetta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cVobYX3hlE

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

dont even fink about it posted:

I could see Punchsport going nuts for a concept like this if it were fully-featured.
There's a Grey Dog game that's exactly this and it's completely incomprehensible

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

89 posted:

Huh?

Can't you change the submission system to a button mashing system? Honestly, I always hated the way submissions worked the past year or two. I could never get them to submit. I was totally cool with the button mashing system from Def jam Vendetta.

It's probably a bug, AJ Styles lost his title to Ziggler after a promo in my Universe.

Yeah there's an alternate button mashing submission system. It's better than the old system but the CPU is hilariously way better than you at mashing. If you pick a wrestler who's weak against submissions and the CPU puts you in a hold midway through the match, you're pretty much hosed.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Basic Chunnel posted:

There's a Grey Dog game that's exactly this and it's completely incomprehensible

Agreed, and this coming from the guy who ran three years of a League with the second and third games of the series on that site. The third makes a little more sense but it takes a lot of time to get used to the system.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Biggest problem I have with 2k17 so far is tag team run-ins. You can totally do a pre-match ambush on a team you're feuding with... but the AI freaks the gently caress out and cannot decide who to focus on, so basically it ping-pongs between having both guys on you, and your partner breaking up any move you try because he's trying to 'save' you.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

89 posted:

I'm mildly amused you managed to accidentally pick a video game fetish video to show off the submission system.

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E

Cubone posted:

Man how much do you think it would cost for a private citizen to commission a WWE theme song for themself? I feel like I would happily go into the lower 5-figure range for something on the level on Bobby Roode

Depending on the artist, for like a 5 minute long song... I'd guess you probably pay something in the high thousands to low double digits. Why buy a car when you can carry around a boombox to play your theme whenever you walk?

The pyro would probably get even more expensive in the long run though. Also, god forbid you decide to turn and need a different tempo style of song.

Lazer fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 16, 2016

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Did you get get the second disk where there's the same concept but with an Million Dollar Man/Hogan match?

The PC version had a couple of expansion packs as well, but they are like gold dust these days. One has Gorilla and Heenan commentating on it, and every other line of commentary involves Heenan making a bad pun and Gorilla telling him to behave.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Skinty McEdger posted:

I'm mildly amused you managed to accidentally pick a video game fetish video to show off the submission system.
remember when they were going to call Paige Charlotte and Becky the Submission Sorority

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
So I just learned that you can interrupt Xavier steal franchesca and play it. Best smackdown game yet.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
A friend and I did a Draft for Universe Mode today (we did Team TNA vs Team NJPW), and this was the result:
(Rules: Snaking Draft, ending with 10 Men 5 Women, then we add 20 more random people to each team)

http://pastebin.com/XjFAwU3r

Afterwards I made her an offer, saying she could have Tye Dillinger (one of her current favorite wrestlers) if I could have another person from DLC, with no complaints. She agreed, and I said "cool, so TNA gets Nakamura..."

We also did random tag teams leading to the tag teams of:
TNA:
Undertaker and BRAUN STROWMAN (Aces and Eights)
Jake Roberts and Razor Ramon (Sponsored by DDP Yoga)
Erick Rowan and Goldberg (The Next Big Red)

NJPW:
Brian Pillman and Scott Dawson (Okay, maybe SOME Flips)
Dolph Ziggler and Luke Harper (Gator Zig-Zag)
Bray Wyatt and JBL (Follow the Money)

We had tournaments for our world champions. IWGP Heavyweight Champion Dolph Ziggler (def. Itami in the finals) and TNA World Champion Cesaro (def. HHH in the finals)

Senerio fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 17, 2016

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I have not got 2k17 yet but watching some videos, what does it mean when it on the part that shows your damage there is a plus or minus sign, with a bar coming down? Sometimes instead it shows a table?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Evil Canadian posted:

I have not got 2k17 yet but watching some videos, what does it mean when it on the part that shows your damage there is a plus or minus sign, with a bar coming down? Sometimes instead it shows a table?

I think it has a thing to do with taunting, and the table thing is in Tables matches for if you hit moves that don't break the table, it weakens it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
In 2K17 you don't taunt to build your finisher meter, instead, taunts have one of three effects based on which direction you push.

Up is wake-up, mostly useful if you wanna hit a flying move that needs them standing. (I've used it a fair amount online to hit AJ's quebrada DDT)
Left is a buff to the rate of increase on your meter.
Right is a damage buff.

If you have a minus it means you got a red reversal done to you and you can't use any reversals until the bar depletes.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
that seems like an improvement on paper

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Yeah, and I remember playing some wrestling game like this on a shareware CD in the 90s. I guess the concept's gotten around.

Skinty McEdger posted:

Did you get get the second disk where there's the same concept but with an Million Dollar Man/Hogan match?

The PC version had a couple of expansion packs as well, but they are like gold dust these days. One has Gorilla and Heenan commentating on it, and every other line of commentary involves Heenan making a bad pun and Gorilla telling him to behave.

Close, the one I bought came with a Hogan/Orndorff expansion disk.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Golashes posted:

that seems like an improvement on paper
It's an improvement in practice, tbh. It's nice to be able to hit diving attacks against standing opponents outside of finishers and extremely narrow contexts.

And you really start to realize how much you leaned on taunt spam to rack up finishers in older games. Falling behind against an opponent is more tense now because you can't flee the ring and play air guitar until you've loaded up your big gun equalizer. The fine tuning on reversals isn't perfect, but so far there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to break the game balance.

The red reversal negation mechanic goes some ways toward bringing matches closer to that classic No Mercy back-and-forth swing. More than a few times I've been sure I had a cakewalk match in the bag only to experience a miracle kick out followed by a roaring enemy comeback that brought us to even footing. I also like how all matches in all modes are now rated and grant you all-purpose VC. If you're getting sick of MyCareer you can always play a bit of Universe and rack up points to buff your rookie up. The grading curve tends to be generous, but that might be a reflection of how the AI is better this year.

One way I have noticed you can game the system: most reversals leave the attacker open, but ground stomp reversals don't, so if you want to burn a flippy opponent's reversal stash you can focus on stomping until they counter one, at which point you can just ground them again. Not a perfect system, but an exploit.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
I think it was pretty clever that instead of having your guy physically flip a guy face up or face down, he just stomps on them and they roll over as they sell.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Perry Normal posted:

I think it was pretty clever that instead of having your guy physically flip a guy face up or face down, he just stomps on them and they roll over as they sell.

Same thing for turning them around on the feet. You throw a punch and s/he turns away while selling, so you can do a German suplex or whatever.

The 'fighting in the crowd' thing is kind of neat too in how organically they include it. I was playing a Cesaro/Jericho match in Universe and the AI just clotheslined me over the barricade and kept fighting, which was nicely seamless.

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.
I still haven't played a match. I keep tweaking my Universe roster and changing move-sets.

I think I have a problem.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Happy Happyist posted:

I still haven't played a match. I keep tweaking my Universe roster and changing move-sets.

I think I have a problem.

That's half the fun in these things. When I play this thing I spend most of my time in the creation suite.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I keep wanting little booking tweaks, like the ability to restrict low-card guys just to minor shows, or make Taker / Lesnar / Trips / Goldberg guys just show up for go home shows and PPVs.

The promo system is... something, but the fact that you can't cut promos against someone unless you're starting a feud or breaking up a team is rather conspicuous. It adds the appearance of variance to the weekly cards, but aside from long-term changes to worker AI (only if used consistently) it doesn't add much, and you still lack the feeling of a match build happening.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

this game is buggier than most years. career mode just stopped letting me change my victory motion :v:

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
It would be cool if you could actually designate Main Eventer, Midcard, Jobber, etc

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's especially odd as Career mode does do it. You don't ever wrestle Jericho or Rollins or Cena on NXT.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

There's a rough approximation of card position via contendership and minor show appearance settings. If you want Miz in the main event, take him out of midcard title contention and constrict the list of people vying for the world title (much easier if you have show-specific titles and PPVs). You'll probably have to play as him for awhile to bump him up the rankings, but it can be done.

Afaik, minor shows don't use or affect title rankings, they're purely exhibitions, so you can get weird matchups on them if you don't designate workers to stay off them. Also, if you have two rosters featured on one, there will be cross-brand matches on it. Or at least that was the case with 2k16.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I'm still flirting with buying this even though it's a bad financial decision and I've spent a disgusting amount of time applying mods to my PC version of 2k16 to have a perfect Universe Mode and I....don't play it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Yeah I think I am going to redbox this for a weekend or something, make a dude, set up my Universe brands, play the first three hours of career before it becomes repetitive, etc.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Just uploaded my Bruiser Brody CAW (PS4). I had to watch approximately 30 matches of his over the past couple of days to get the moveset right. That big mofo didn't pull rasslin' moves very often.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

dont buy the game

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Castor Poe posted:

Just uploaded my Bruiser Brody CAW (PS4). I had to watch approximately 30 matches of his over the past couple of days to get the moveset right. That big mofo didn't pull rasslin' moves very often.

Which one is yours? I'd be down for a good Brody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
My Hulk Hogan was removed from. Community creations. It sucks too, I had 699 downloads before they took him off. I was hoping I could just coast on that one to hit the silver rank.