Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I need to find a 5th spot to put a jack on my 2008 987 so that I can get a stand under each of the four "factory" points and take the wheels off. My goal is to put the jack under the car just long enough to get it up on stands under the pre-approved spots. Any suggestions? Red circles on the images would be helpful, since if you say "the wheel strut" I'll not have the foggiest what you're referring to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

99 explorer guy, the ecu runs in open loop for the first few minutes, and shouldn't be rough despite coolant temperature.

This might vary a bit on brand, but when my LS1 had a wonky coolant temperature sensor (wiring issue), cold starts were a mess because it was going extreme overkill on the cold start enrichment.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

canyoneer posted:

OK, so I'm changing out the spark plugs and coil packs on my 2008 Honda Fit Sport. I'm replacing them with NGK Laser Iridium plugs that are the same as the OEM plugs. Coil packs will be the Hitachi ones that are also the same as OEM boots.

According to an argument thread on fitfreak.net about changing the plugs, there's some conflicting advice about torque, anti-seize compound, and dielectric grease.

Someone quotes a Honda repair manual saying the plugs need 13 ftlbs of torque, and to use anti-seize compound on the threads.
Some other dude says to follow the spark plug manufacturer's recommendation, which is hand tight plus 1/2 to 2/3rd turn with a wrench.
Some other jerk says that adding anti-seize compound on the threads will make you overtighten your plugs at the same torque level and ruin your nice, soft aluminum head in the engine.
I don't know who to believe. Do I use anti-seize compound? I'm sorta leaning toward "use the compound, then do hand tight and a half turn like the plug manufacturer says"

Next question is dielectric grease. Grease manufacturer says coat the interior of the coil pack with that grease, and use a small amount on the outside of the ceramic part of the spark plug as well. Some other jerk online says that putting dielectric grease in the coil pack will increase resistance and screw with your plugs firing correctly.
What do?

I used to do 'hand tight plus 1/4 turn' until I chewed up my threads and my plugs belched out (bad noise), forcing me to timesert new thread inserts in. Once I bought a torque wrench, I found out that 11 ft-lbs on my plugs was finger-tight plus 1/32nd turn. Spending money on a torque wrench now will save money on head replacement/ repair later.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Thanks for the replies. I replaced the plugs and coil packs completely without issue, and fully in spec with torque wrench values.
Quoting myself from earlier.

canyoneer posted:

2008 Honda Fit Sport, Automatic. 120k miles or so.

Two problems:
1. My engine runs sorta rough when I start the car completely cold, and switching from park to drive will usually kill the engine unless it's had time to warm up. This also happens when decelerating to a stop.
Once the car has been running for a while, the problem goes away completely. I thought it could be an AT fluid issue, so I did a drain and fill because I was due for that anyway. Shifting has improved, but the problem continues. I'm thinking now that it might be a spark plug issue?

After a quick test drive, I'm afraid my problem persists. I drove a bit and had the same problem.
So then I did the idle learn procedure, from here.
http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-diy-repair-maintenance/7729-ecm-pcm-idle-learn-procedure.html

Car's warm enough now that I definitely wouldn't be able to replicate my issue anyway. We'll see tomorrow morning if the problem comes up again from a cold start. Man I hope not, I just want my car to work again like normal :smith:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

If you have access to a code reader that can also show live data, you may want to check to see how hot/cold the ECU thinks the engine is.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Do you have the same problem as this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIsG_8TVokw

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I need to find a 5th spot to put a jack on my 2008 987 so that I can get a stand under each of the four "factory" points and take the wheels off. My goal is to put the jack under the car just long enough to get it up on stands under the pre-approved spots. Any suggestions? Red circles on the images would be helpful, since if you say "the wheel strut" I'll not have the foggiest what you're referring to.

This spot right here in between the two bolts wearing groucho marx glasses looks like a good point.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

If you have access to a code reader that can also show live data, you may want to check to see how hot/cold the ECU thinks the engine is.

That's a good idea. Would one of those $20 amazon bluetooth readers do that?

Poking around some other forums, it sounds like Fit owners are saying that their valve clearances were way out of wack (even at 30k miles!). To my knowledge, they have never been adjusted in my car and I suspect that could be my problem.

I've looked up some guides online on how to do it, and it seems doable for me. The thing that worries me is that I would have to remove most of the intake in order to get to it (and all my newly installed spark plugs and coil packs! :mad:)

totalnewbie posted:

Do you have the same problem as this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIsG_8TVokw

It doesn't get to -44 C in Phoenix, but it often gets to +44 C!

MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003
I recently purchased a CPO 2014 Subaru WRX hatchback with only 8k miles on it from a subaru dealer near me. I love the car and it's a total blast to drive, very different then my 240sx (which I still have and love). The one thing I have been unable to do that kind of annoys me is get a wallet key made, the dealership says they don't make them. Obviously being a 2014 it has a chipped key and that makes the spare key way to fat to put in a wallet. I would like to know if it's possible to get a chipless key made that will fit in my wallet (I know it won't start the car), but I am dumb and I know it's only a matter of time before I go somewhere and someone or I myself locks me out of the car. Please tell me it's possible to make this happen.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

canyoneer posted:

That's a good idea. Would one of those $20 amazon bluetooth readers do that?

If you have an android, yes. Get the Torque Pro app for like $5. I've been using it to do exactly this since replacing my radiator a few days ago. If you have an IOS device, get the wifi version...I'm not sure which app is equivalent to torque, there are a couple of options.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
1996 Rav4, but applies to anything. What protectants can I use on exterior plastics?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Wife needs a new battery. Optoma? Kirkland signature? Weight and load are not issues.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
They're all made by like two companies, Johnson Controls and the other one that isn't Optima.

Just get whatever the book says, and has a recent date sticker on it (going to walmart sometimes their batteries sit for a year). You're shopping for the warranty, not the battery, unless you're getting RV or Marine deep cycle ones.

Optima are overpriced, but okay, but also not as good as they were ten years ago. You don't need an Optima.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

If I'm going to be welding on the bed of an early 2000s Ford Ranger (Vulcan v6, white), do I need to take any precautions against frying the truck's electronics beyond just unplugging the battery?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

They're all made by like two companies, Johnson Controls and the other one that isn't Optima.

Just get whatever the book says, and has a recent date sticker on it (going to walmart sometimes their batteries sit for a year). You're shopping for the warranty, not the battery, unless you're getting RV or Marine deep cycle ones.

Optima are overpriced, but okay, but also not as good as they were ten years ago. You don't need an Optima.

Deka/east penn is the other company you're thinking of. Exide also makes their own batteries, but they are poo.

Also, johnson controls owns optima and optima's quality has bounced back nicely after some hiccups due to moving manufacturing plants. You don't need an optima though.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

If I'm going to be welding on the bed of an early 2000s Ford Ranger (Vulcan v6, white), do I need to take any precautions against frying the truck's electronics beyond just unplugging the battery?

Be careful if your welding near the bulbs for the tail lights. Tail lights do not last long when overheated. Other then that you should be ok. If you want a second hand you know how to get a hold of me.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I am thinking about buying a hybrid for my next vehicle and I am looking at the Toyota RAV4 hybrid.

Are there any significant changes in maintenance that I should be aware of with a hybrid versus a regular vehicle? (Id be interested in seeing how long the motor bearings last and if they are replaced on a schedule.)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

I am thinking about buying a hybrid for my next vehicle and I am looking at the Toyota RAV4 hybrid.

Are there any significant changes in maintenance that I should be aware of with a hybrid versus a regular vehicle? (Id be interested in seeing how long the motor bearings last and if they are replaced on a schedule.)

Not unless you plan on keeping the car for longer than 300,000km's. The only changes worth mentioning are brakes that last longer and coolant capacity about 1.5x that of a normal rav.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Slavvy posted:

Not unless you plan on keeping the car for longer than 300,000km's. The only changes worth mentioning are brakes that last longer and coolant capacity about 1.5x that of a normal rav.

That's good to know - I did see that the battery packs have warranties for I think 10 years and 100k miles. Not sure about warranties on the electrical system (rotating machines and power semiconductors*).

* - I work at a facility with dozens of low-voltage drives and several medium-voltage drives and I don't think we has ever had a power semiconductor (SCR or IGBT) fail.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Three-Phase posted:

That's good to know - I did see that the battery packs have warranties for I think 10 years and 100k miles. Not sure about warranties on the electrical system (rotating machines and power semiconductors*).

* - I work at a facility with dozens of low-voltage drives and several medium-voltage drives and I don't think we has ever had a power semiconductor (SCR or IGBT) fail.

What do the things you said mean, please?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Michael Scott posted:

What do the things you said mean, please?
He was concerned that while the battery pack might have a good warranty, there could be a gotcha in the electric motor or the various systems that direct and control power between the two.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

InitialDave posted:

He was concerned that while the battery pack might have a good warranty, there could be a gotcha in the electric motor or the various systems that direct and control power between the two.

Yeah pretty much this.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
In general automotive bearing replacement schedules are "when it makes a funny noise" - if you want to preemptively replace them, it usually costs a lot to overhaul and $nicedinner worth of parts. As long as they aren't fluid bearings (like the ones in the gas engine) you can safely wait till they make noise and then replace them as this replaces the rollers and both (generally... there are exceptions) wear surfaces. Keeping the engine and trans oil changed on schedule will prevent damage better than preemptive bearing replacement imo.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Quick question;
I've got a 2002 honda civic si; all stock. I'm at ~212k miles and have been pretty good at taking it in. Recently the car starts to chug when I'm in low RPMs. It goes away after I hit about 2500 regardless of gear/speed. I'm going to be taking it into the shop, but just wanted an idea of what it might be before it goes in. I'll be getting an oil change at the same time as its ready.

Should I have them check the spark plugs? Something else that will usually cause it?
The car has had a O2 error since I've owned it (9 years, bought at 75k miles), so its always coding. I replaced the o2 sensors, didn't fix it, so it seems like its likely a cat issue? but up until about 2 months ago it drove w/o incident.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Anyone had a wood or metal garage on asphalt for a significant period of time? My wife and I are trying to find a house with 3 garage spaces, but they aren't as common as 2 car garages accompanied by hundreds of square feet of parking asphalt. Kicking around the idea of an awning and then a metal/wood carport on asphalt. Pros/cons for storing a car in winter for years on asphalt in a metal/wood 10x20?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

deong posted:

Quick question;
I've got a 2002 honda civic si; all stock. I'm at ~212k miles and have been pretty good at taking it in. Recently the car starts to chug when I'm in low RPMs. It goes away after I hit about 2500 regardless of gear/speed. I'm going to be taking it into the shop, but just wanted an idea of what it might be before it goes in. I'll be getting an oil change at the same time as its ready.

Should I have them check the spark plugs? Something else that will usually cause it?
The car has had a O2 error since I've owned it (9 years, bought at 75k miles), so its always coding. I replaced the o2 sensors, didn't fix it, so it seems like its likely a cat issue? but up until about 2 months ago it drove w/o incident.

Have you ever changed the spark plugs? If not, it's time anyway. Especially for a car from 2002, might still have nickel plugs.

As for the O2 sensor code, it depends on what the code is. A lot of things can set O2 sensor codes without it being a sensor issue.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Agreed. In fact I usually get an O2 sensor code when the coilpacks on my Subaru are on their last leg, because Subaru ECUs are apparently retarded and can't detect a failing coilpack or serious misfire conditions until far after the ECU has decided the O2 sensor is reading inaccurately because of all the unburned fuel/air in the exhaust.

Many things can cause that, you gotta figure out which it is.

I'd start with plugs and (if it has them, I forget if a 2002 is COP) wires since it's due for them anyways. Are there any exhaust leaks upstream of the upstream O2 sensor? That could affect the O2 sensor's readings as well.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Hello. Please read the last post in my Mazda2 thread and make me feel better thanks I am a fragile flower.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

totalnewbie posted:

Have you ever changed the spark plugs? If not, it's time anyway. Especially for a car from 2002, might still have nickel plugs.

As for the O2 sensor code, it depends on what the code is. A lot of things can set O2 sensor codes without it being a sensor issue.

Thanks.
I need to double check, I asked the shop to do a 200k maintenance check on the last oil change. I thought I had the plugs/wires replaced but Im not 100%. I have the records at home to check.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
What's a 200k mile maintenance check? Like, who has a standard "Do this at 200k!" procedure?

Or maybe I'm underestimating how many cars regularly make it to 200k...

edit: not making fun of you or anything, I can guess it's probably just check fluids, belts, etc.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

totalnewbie posted:

What's a 200k mile maintenance check? Like, who has a standard "Do this at 200k!" procedure?

Or maybe I'm underestimating how many cars regularly make it to 200k...

edit: not making fun of you or anything, I can guess it's probably just check fluids, belts, etc.

In the car manual, it has do x at x miles. I've used that as a judge of when to do things.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Anyone had a wood or metal garage on asphalt for a significant period of time? My wife and I are trying to find a house with 3 garage spaces, but they aren't as common as 2 car garages accompanied by hundreds of square feet of parking asphalt. Kicking around the idea of an awning and then a metal/wood carport on asphalt. Pros/cons for storing a car in winter for years on asphalt in a metal/wood 10x20?

Your car itself shouldn't be too hard on asphalt, but I wouldn't try to support the weight of any kind of structure on it. You could just tear up the spots necessary for concrete piers to support the carport.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

'14 Mazda3 Hatch. Anyone else with one who uses bluetooth audio from their phone, and finds that the audio is delayed by about two to three seconds from whatever event on the phone activated it? Seems to be consistent between iOS and Android phones, at least in the time I've had the car. Not noticeable with just audio obviously, but extremely noticeable if I'm parked and looking at a video or (more relevantly) when it's trying to give directions from Google Maps / Waze.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

deong posted:

In the car manual, it has do x at x miles. I've used that as a judge of when to do things.

Yeah, I know, I just didn't think they go out to 200k miles. I mean, sure, there's "every X miles" but 200k is a lot of driving/long time.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
My chebby has a (possible) problem:

2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, 5.3L

There's a ticking sound coming from the engine when it's running. I think it's the power steering pump, but it's hard to isolate. Is there a testing procedure? Some way to determine if that's it?

No CEL, no change that I can see in driving behaviour (power, shifting, etc)

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

DrakeriderCa posted:

There's a ticking sound coming from the engine when it's running. I think it's the power steering pump, but it's hard to isolate. Is there a testing procedure? Some way to determine if that's it?

Get a longish stick or rod or something. Stick one end in your ear and touch the end to various surfaces while the engine's running. Watch out for moving parts. Should help to pinpoint where the sound is coming from at least. Yes I'm serious.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
You can also just take the belt off for a bit. I wouldn't run it for very long with no water pump, but if it would be immediately obvious at idle whether your sound is still there or not, it shouldn't cause any issues.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Power steering pumps usually wine. Ticking could be fan clutch if still mechanical. Also the ls motors tick. The 5.3L is known for ticking lifters.

Worst case scenario
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THd_EKQ9If8

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

DrakeriderCa posted:

Mine had a noticible tick from 75k miles on. It would get more pronounced in the last 1000 miles before an oil change, but I never had any issues. Otoh, yours is the fancy version with displacement on demand and vvt gubbins iirc. In either case, check your fluid levels and if need be, automotive stethescopes are a thing. We keep 'em in stock at work since they are handy for listening to bearings. v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So last night my 2000 Mazda B2500 (Ford Ranger, ahem) lost a rear brake line:

Can I buy the pre-formed line somewhere, or do I have to buy a length of steel brake line, cut it, bend it and flare it? Can I bleed just the one wheel or do I need to bleed the whole system?