Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I keep getting more and more ridiculous guns and I just love it. Gun drops are definitely the most exciting, followed by orange weapon upgrade drops. Stacking elements can create some really cool damage combos.

Love the UI, love that you can see what element is on each of your weapons at a glance using the weapon wheel or when they're equipped. You can also see icons for things like which guns have charge modes or turret upgrades or whatnot in case you forget.

Zagrod posted:

Just in case you guys didn't know - if you see the Shadow Warrior 2 decal, there (usually) is a secret hidden nearby. For example, in the pic below you can jump through the painting on the wall into a hidden room

Adding this to the OP, brilliant.

Brackhar posted:

So I just started playing this (stopped when I hit mission selection) and am having a great time with the mechanics, but has anyone else found the quality to be really uneven? I've found NPCs who just stand there non-reacting until they arbitrarily become vendors, NPCs completing quests for me I didn't even know I had, really weird transitions between pho-asian temples to super high tech areas with no narrative bridges, z-fighting issues on transparent objects, and general confusion about how this story and world at all relate to how Shadow Warrior 1 left the universe.

I mean, I'll happily continue to shoot and stab dudes with these super fun mechanics, but the narrative design so far just feels... Unfinished? At minimum it feels like a step back in narrative execution quality from the first game. Does anyone else agree?

I agree, but I don't mind. For $40 I'm totally okay with this just being a really fun co-op shooter. I skip half the cutscenes, of those I watch some of them I actually laugh at (usually how dumb they are, but that's on purpose) and other times I find the entire cutscene to be weak and pointless. The story is very hit and miss but who cares?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

InfinityComplex posted:

Shadow Warrior 2 Patch Notes:

Shadow Warrior 2 ver. 1.1.1.0
- Added option to disable AlienFX (add -noalienware to properties->general->set launch options) in order to fix startup crashes on some configurations
- Fixed AlienFX crash on startup on some configurations

What in the gently caress is AlienFX?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Copper Vein posted:

What in the gently caress is AlienFX?

I believe it's the support for Alienware peripherals that let the LED lights on them change color based on what's happening in the game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

out of everything the writing quality definitely does seem to be lacking. it feels kind of stilted, partially due to the timeskip between the first and second game dumping you out in a setting that you're expected to be familiar with despite never seeing it before. it also comes off like the events of the first game had no real impact. i get that lo wang is intended to be a certain way, but it almost feels like it was mildly doubled down on despite everything that's happened to him. occasionally some of the jokes feel forced even if they don't necessarily come off as 'bad', and at times i was wishing that the protag would stop being so much of an rear end in a top hat.

it doesn't help that the first game's story was actually pretty decent for an fps, even if the gameplay dragged on at times. seems like those two things were flipped a little for the sequel. it's fun as hell to play, but it definitely does come off like a sequel for better or worse.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yep, that's what it is. I have an alienware laptop.

Supposedly there's a silly feature so if you have an alienware or certain other brand keyboards it'll light up the letters W A N G on your keyboard while its loading and stuff like that.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Zaphod42 posted:

I keep getting more and more ridiculous guns and I just love it. Gun drops are definitely the most exciting, followed by orange weapon upgrade drops. Stacking elements can create some really cool damage combos.

The guns are drat fantastic, makes it actually worth screwing around after finishing a mission just to hunt down the special enemy unique to that mission.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

InfinityComplex posted:

The guns are drat fantastic, makes it actually worth screwing around after finishing a mission just to hunt down the special enemy unique to that mission.

wait what

Does EVERY mission have a special enemy unique to it

My god i have missed so many guns

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

If you check the achievement list and there's actually a loading tip for this as well, there's a unique enemy in ALMOST EVERY mission. Most of the time, they will drop a weapon provided that you kill them and don't have it already.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Infinity Gaia posted:

wait what

Does EVERY mission have a special enemy unique to it

My god i have missed so many guns
I'm pretty sure the first two missions you can't go back to afterwards don't.

Presumably you can just go back afterward in the free roam and look for them.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Wait, side missions too?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yes.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

one thing i wish is that there was a full map you could pull up when you're in a mission, so you can see where you have and haven't been. i know for a fact i've missed bosses and i hate missing out on weapons because of it, but the map is near-useless for anything that isn't currently relatively close to you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

InfinityComplex posted:

If you check the achievement list and there's actually a loading tip for this as well, there's a unique enemy in ALMOST EVERY mission. Most of the time, they will drop a weapon provided that you kill them and don't have it already.

Oh poo poo

Johnny Joestar posted:

one thing i wish is that there was a full map you could pull up when you're in a mission, so you can see where you have and haven't been. i know for a fact i've missed bosses and i hate missing out on weapons because of it, but the map is near-useless for anything that isn't currently relatively close to you.

Its great as a mini-map for finding which way to go or picking up drops or treasure chests, but yeah the maps are loving huuuuuge so an area map would be nice.

Looove that you can just free roam after you've completed an area. They didn't make the mistake D3 did at launch.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Does anyone else feel like aiming gets all kind of fucky when 'zoomed' in? The horizontal sensitivity will get way slower than vertical and it makes it awful to aim.

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry

InfinityComplex posted:

IIRC, they all drop weapons OR skills. But if you miss them, which you can since some main quest missions lock out uncompleted side missions, the skills and weapons will show up at Larry's or Hideo's. And as for a tip for finding the special enemies (for side missions) if the mission has a locked gate or a portal you go through, the named enemy is always on the other side - just try going the other way from the objective marker

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SinineSiil posted:

Does anyone else feel like aiming gets all kind of fucky when 'zoomed' in? The horizontal sensitivity will get way slower than vertical and it makes it awful to aim.

Yeah, its not a problem for me with all guns but with the revolver its real annoying.

Hopefully there's a console command to turn it off. Lots of games do the same thing having different sensitivity for zoom vs standard, but you need to be able to change the ratio.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nice!!

edit: Huh, interesting, the weapon FOV uses vertical FOV just like the normal setting. Setting it to 65 (a little over 90 horizontal) pretty much fixes the problem, by default it's set to 50 which is really cramped.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 15, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
By the way, I noticed something interesting while running around in photo mode:

There are some dragon statues hanging out over the side near Smith's place on, y'know, Dragon Mountain. If you zoom out over the edge you can see there's a cave under the cliff.

If you do a pretty well-timed double jump you can get down there. The cave doesn't go anywhere, but explosive barrels and stuff spawn in it which I find to be pretty odd. You can see Smith's workshop through a closed gate inside the cave.

Also the dragon statues are fully modeled and embedded in the rock.

The reason I find this interesting is because (ending spoilers) the dragon that attacks Wang at the very end of the game looks very similar to the statues. It's hard to tell if it's exactly the same or not because it's in shadow but at least the head is. Whether it's just reused assets or something deeper, I dunno. Either way it's pretty nifty.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 15, 2016

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Zagrod posted:

IIRC, they all drop weapons OR skills. But if you miss them, which you can since some main quest missions lock out uncompleted side missions, the skills and weapons will show up at Larry's or Hideo's. And as for a tip for finding the special enemies (for side missions) if the mission has a locked gate or a portal you go through, the named enemy is always on the other side - just try going the other way from the objective marker

do you have any info on what the Shock effect does?

I know Burn is a degen, cold gives chill (slows) and/or freeze, toxic gives a degen (I think?) with a chance at corpse exploding enemies for more damage

the only one I'm not sure of is shock

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Shock stuns enemies and makes them do a comical blblbllblb wiggling animation has two functions: a) it looks very funny and b) roots them in place. It also does a little bit of damage over time. It's extremely useful on the big mech enemies or other tall foes.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
I just had the strangest bug. Booted up the game, which put me into the mission I had quit from (this is all normal/expected), and I got into a fight and then my movement...got all sticky/glitchy. It was only while I was on the ground but I had problems getting stuck on geometry and going up/down stairs. I have a video I recorded of it that I'll post when it's uploaded.

EDIT: Here's the vid link, hope someone can tell me what causes this. Haven't rebooted the game yet but I hope it gets fixed by that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5qqirTetco

The Jumpoff fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 15, 2016

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

GUI posted:

Everyone should disable chromatic aberration. It's godawful in most games and ruins this one's art.

CA is the first goddamn thing I shut off whenever I can. It's an abomination. I don't mind it when it's used for temporary effects but when it's always on and that extreme it's the worst thing in the world. I can understand motion blur, I can even get film grain, but I simply do not understand why it's put in like this - "We've created this beautiful world, now let's piss in the eyes of anyone who wants to see it". Dying Light was for me totally unplayable until over a year later when they graciously allowed us to turn it off after a patch. Very glad they allow us to turn it off out of the gate with this one.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jeeesus...Level 5 Serene Mind + Vanish is so incredibly broken it turned fairly challenging Hard Mode into a cakewalk.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jack Trades posted:

Jeeesus...Level 5 Serene Mind + Vanish is so incredibly broken it turned fairly challenging Hard Mode into a cakewalk.
Level 5 Serene Mind is essentially Infinite Chi, it is amazing in general.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
This game is both extremely good and comically bad at the same time. Story and dialog lines are some of the biggest heaps of trash I've seen recently, loading screen spelling mistakes, everything else rules. Gibs everywhere.

Was playing with a friend and for some reason when he joined my game he was completely invincible. Then we both fell down a tiny crevice on a side mission map that was deep as hell and din't have a kill plane.

Had to abort the mission to escape, and then Dragon Mountain was all stormy for some reason.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

So I learned that like Healing Flame, you can hold the key for Vanish and charge it up to like 30 seconds. Vanish kicks in after 5 seconds like when you tap it but you can make it last for a good while. You can also hold the key and keep Vanish going as it drains through your chi meter.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
If you're Vanished and a rabbit destroys one of those haypiles on a field it counts as a melee hit and you become visible again. Or if anything really destroys something. Maybe the patch added this to the field levels.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

This game is both extremely good and comically bad at the same time. Story and dialog lines are some of the biggest heaps of trash I've seen recently, loading screen spelling mistakes, everything else rules. Gibs everywhere.

Was playing with a friend and for some reason when he joined my game he was completely invincible. Then we both fell down a tiny crevice on a side mission map that was deep as hell and din't have a kill plane.

Had to abort the mission to escape, and then Dragon Mountain was all stormy for some reason.

I ended up in that exact same crevasse, but was able to bunny hop my way out of it eventually.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

InfinityComplex posted:

So I learned that like Healing Flame, you can hold the key for Vanish and charge it up to like 30 seconds. Vanish kicks in after 5 seconds like when you tap it but you can make it last for a good while. You can also hold the key and keep Vanish going as it drains through your chi meter.

gently caress me...I did NOT want to know that.
Now I'm going to be in Vanish mode 100% of the time, seeing all the beautiful art through the hightlight-o-vision.

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry

Jusupov posted:

If you're Vanished and a rabbit destroys one of those haypiles on a field it counts as a melee hit and you become visible again. Or if anything really destroys something. Maybe the patch added this to the field levels.

Holy poo poo, thanks for the report

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

About the ending: It's extremely unlikely but maybe there's a secret ending or something since the cut to the credits is extremely jarring, it's almost as bad as Bioshock's instant jump cut to the main menu after you see the end cutscene. Has anybody beat the game on Who Wants Some Wang mode yet?

also I wish there was a download for the Stan Bush LP or even a non-vinyl option to buy it but I can't see one.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Man this is the second time where I got stuck in the scenery trying to jump to a ledge and unable to continue. They really need to fix this.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
If Flying Wild Hog teams up with CD Projekt RED and designs the combat for Cyberpunk 2077 I will never need another game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Mordja posted:

If Flying Wild Hog teams up with CD Projekt RED and designs the combat for Cyberpunk 2077 I will never need another game.
poo poo, don't tease me like this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

Man this is the second time where I got stuck in the scenery trying to jump to a ledge and unable to continue. They really need to fix this.

Try using T to warp back to town, and then again to warp back to where you were. That can un-stick you.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Zaphod42 posted:

Try using T to warp back to town, and then again to warp back to where you were. That can un-stick you.
It didn't the first time I tried and I assumed it wouldn't work again the second time it happened.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Today I learned from a loading screen that the in game currency is called Zillyen. A multilayered pun if I've ever seen one.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
FYI for anyone who put a point in it, it looks like going into second chance mode and not actually killing something makes your mouse get stuck in second chance low sensitivity.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 15, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You can also use second chance to live forever by having max rank in the skill and a soul mod gem that reduces the skill's cooldown by 60 seconds. Second chance recharges instantly after you use it to revive yourself, ergo you cannot die unless you straight-up don't fire a shot after it procs. :downs:

edit: By the way, if you happen to get the bug where you're stuck in a ledge and you're on PC, do the following: Enable the dev console with ctrl + ~, then set s_fly_mode to 1 (s_fly_mode is noclip). Then just back out of the ledge and set it back to 0.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I seem to be unusual in that for my first ten-point star skill max, I went for the one that reloads weapons that aren't the one you're currently using. At that level by the time your next weapon runs dry your first one is refilled. It's great. Especially for things with long reloads like a minigun.

I may try going harder on melee if I keep going after beating the game because the sword you get at the end of the second to last mission is really, really good. I do need to find the last 8 weapons I didn't get...

• Locked thread