Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
That Urien thing reminds me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAxz9r5hahk

I don't really have much trouble finding EU lobbies for KoF before midnight, but the problem is dipshit Mexicans and people outside EU joining and playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
but it has counterplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjSoeioRrY4

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jack Trades posted:

SFV is a good and well made game, you guys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9MAaJxv8XI

okuyasu what the gently caress

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I've been playing extra story cause that's really the last thing left that I can do to get any significant fight money and boy howdy this perfect ai Bipson who starts with both meters full is a total blast to fight.

:negative:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah the hard story mode made me want to gouge my eyes out with some of the cheater AI poo poo. At least it was super easy to just replay poo poo endlessly, unlike online where it dumps you through a shitload of loading each time.

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002
If that's the Nash vs Bison fight, just back up a little as Nash and do HP Tragedy Assault. Dash back twice (you might have to play with the spacing some) and keep doing it until you have some bar and then try to zone him with st mp, b.mk, and EX scythe. Also, if you get Bison to chip and have full bar, remember that Nash's super is two qcb P and not K...

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

buffybot posted:

If that's the Nash vs Bison fight, just back up a little as Nash and do HP Tragedy Assault. Dash back twice (you might have to play with the spacing some) and keep doing it until you have some bar and then try to zone him with st mp, b.mk, and EX scythe. Also, if you get Bison to chip and have full bar, remember that Nash's super is two qcb P and not K...

That's actually exactly the fight I'm stuck on! Thanks for the advice!

:negative: :negative: :negative:

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
How do you get the "heh heh heh" title card? Is it tied to necalli? Asking for a friend.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

zooted heh posted:

How do you get the "heh heh heh" title card? Is it tied to necalli? Asking for a friend.

50 Ranked wins w/ Bison so sayeth GameFaqs.

ShortThug
Dec 26, 2004

Yay!
lol that's the title I use and yeah it's for balrog

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Don't you mean Vega?

e: just going to go ahead and preemptively apologize for this one

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

dhamster posted:

Don't you mean Vega?

Don't you mean M. Bison?

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
The classic character swap strikes again.
The Third Strike.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
How many people use the boxer/dictator/claw naming standard instead of the western one?

I always like for dictator to just be Bison because Raul Julia.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
A bunch of people do even though they will never come into contact with a Japanese player and you'd have to be kind of a retard to play SF with any seriousness but still be confused by the names in a Japanese ROM or whatever.

I think it's just an in-group and/or closet weeb thing that people try to rationalize to be something else

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Imo Vega at least only benefits from the name change, it suits him so much better

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Brosnan posted:

A bunch of people do even though they will never come into contact with a Japanese player and you'd have to be kind of a retard to play SF with any seriousness but still be confused by the names in a Japanese ROM or whatever.

I think it's just an in-group and/or closet weeb thing that people try to rationalize to be something else

when I do it, it's so that it's easier to talk about the characters without any confusion. I'm a relic though but many years ago a lot of info came over here from Japanese sources and that naming schema helped avoid confusion

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It's just easier when I talk with Korean/Japanese players. Japanese players exclusively use the Japanese names of course but the older Koreans in particular will use one set or the other depending on what language their starting arcade was running so the boxer/claw/dictator notation is really useful

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think it made more sense when a lot of resources on SF came from Japan, nowadays it's just a vestigial thing and used just as a nickname for the characters. Sometimes you just wanna call Vega Claw.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Seems like theres overlap between people that use those names and people that say forward and roundhouse and stuff.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Brosnan posted:

This is actually very useful today if you play sf games on fightcade and talk to jp/Korean players on there

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

people poking around in the halloween update found evidence of an arcade mode being worked on. i'm sure that's just what season 2 needed to turn the game around

it needs makoto with the same walk speed as everyone, 3 different comand throws, and 2x mp into super

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

darealkooky posted:

the ps2 version is an inferior version & there's no online

when do we get a real re-release

you can play the game cube version online with dolphin i think idk how well that works. you can also uh fly to japan and goto GAME CENTER ACHO

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Real hurthling! posted:

Seems like theres overlap between people that use those names and people that say forward and roundhouse and stuff.

Which is a little strange, because jab/strong/fierce/short/forward/roundhouse is a very American thing. LMH is the Japanese-style notation.

I like short/forward/roundhouse/etc for verbal discussion since LP MP HP are kind of unwieldy and awkward to say out loud IMO.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

mysterious loyall X posted:

you can play the game cube version online with dolphin i think idk how well that works. you can also uh fly to japan and goto GAME CENTER ACHO

gamecube version is even worse, buffing the grooves nobody ever used is nice but no roll canceling sort of ruins the game

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

canoshiz posted:

Which is a little strange, because jab/strong/fierce/short/forward/roundhouse is a very American thing. LMH is the Japanese-style notation.

I like short/forward/roundhouse/etc for verbal discussion since LP MP HP are kind of unwieldy and awkward to say out loud IMO.

If people are using that terminology online in 2016, they are probably the same people who say claw because they read SRK forums a lot.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

darealkooky posted:

gamecube version is even worse, buffing the grooves nobody ever used is nice but no roll canceling sort of ruins the game

If they ever do another release, it will most likely be the EO version.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

If people are using that terminology online in 2016, they are probably the same people who say claw because they read SRK forums a lot.

lol who is reading srk forums in 2016

the people making generalizations itt are so off base it's nuts

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
I've decided to just call every character Bison from now on, and every kick button "roundhouse"

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

MrJacobs posted:

If they ever do another release, it will most likely be the EO version.

No, it won't, when they re-released 3rd Strike, they used the original version everyone loves instead of 3rd Strike 2.0 which everyone hated.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Most people hated RC, though. That's why CvS2 died as a main event game after about a year.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Shiki Dan posted:

Most people hated RC, though. That's why CvS2 died as a main event game after about a year.

no? people ran dc and ps2 tournies for a long time as a main game even post 2005

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
CvS2 wasn't nearly as big as MvC2 and 3S in America, meaning not a "main event" game, pretty much after 2004.
Hell, by 2006 even GG was up there only behind 3S in my neck of the woods (the South).

Yes, people still played and supported it but it wasn't a MAIN game for most people the way Marvel and 3rd were.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
cvs2 didn't die until sf4 came out lol

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

I use them bc I grew up playing SF2 and that's what the attacks were called

This is also why I call the characters by their names

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I call Vega Claw because its a way cooler name, I also sometimes use Boxer but I don't know why. Maybe because when someone says Balrog I think of LotR.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Admittedly "strong" and "forward" are like the two dumbest conceivable names for attacks that are neither the strongest nor moving you forward

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Shiki Dan posted:

Iirc roll cancels actually made those not in the top tier more competitive; without them you'd've been seeing even more Sagats, Sakuras and Blankas.

Brosnan posted:

Admittedly "strong" and "forward" are like the two dumbest conceivable names for attacks that are neither the strongest nor moving you forward

This is true, and HK is rarely a roundhouse.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Brosnan posted:

Forward is also extremely dumb in this age of command normals that use the 6 input I agree, but I still use them

Shiki Dan posted:

????????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Brosnan posted:

They are from karate. It was cool to appear knowledgeable about karate among kids in the 90s, you see. McDojos were still considered a good way to become a resident badass like in the movies. If you heard us talking about roundhouses and jabs you might think we are cool karate guys and not fighting game nerds.