Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

The way they changed how forts work in EUIV honestly should have been how it was released in the first place. Not only is it historically how things actually worked, it's actually gives countries a chance in wars that they would otherwise lose in the first year. It used to be that "Oh, France joined the war, now I'm screwed". Instead, you can keep the massive French doomstacks safely contained to chew on your level 6 forts while you gently caress off to murder Hungary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Senor Dog posted:

It was going to be a huge change until they announced carpet sieging was going away anyway in favor of forts and ZoC.

Sorties were added in Art of War, there were a good 8 months of them being useless with the old fort system before Common Sense came out.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Inherit the Realm of Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
not 'former' if he can help it :mrgw:

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

What the heck is that.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Looks like a Cold War mod for V2. If the notion that someone should make that and the event in the screenshot are any indication, it must very, very poorly(/well?) made.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
well, it was a real plan agreed to by Tito and the Bulgarians in 1947-8, the notion that the Soviets could ever accept it maybe less so

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Zohar posted:

well, it was a real plan agreed to by Tito and the Bulgarians in 1947-8, the notion that the Soviets could ever accept it maybe less so

They'd probably have been happier about it if Tito had done as Stalin told him.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

YF-23 posted:

Looks like a Cold War mod for V2. If the notion that someone should make that and the event in the screenshot are any indication, it must very, very poorly(/well?) made.

It's the NEW WORLD ORDER mod, which is hilarious and great and I love it. I ended up losing because France invaded and the brave people of Yugoslavia were unable to resist. Stalin had recently kicked us out of the comintern and wouldn't help, rip tito

It didn't help that we got sphered by Columbia, who somehow had become a world power

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

YF-23 posted:

That is the New World Order Mod, set during and after the Cold War (1946-2100) with two Bookmarks in 1946 and 1993.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

it's not a good mod per se but it is a pretty funny one

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

it's not a good mod per se but it is a pretty funny one
Why not?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

well, vicky 2 sort of breaks down when trying to model modern warfare and politics, doesn't it. the spheres/power thing is kind of suited to modeling cold-war-era spheres of influence (more so than hoi3 is for sure) though so it does capture the feel of the period, where the two major powers are shaping what everyone else does and you can drag them into proxy wars if you get on their good side. but it's a mod so it's not necessarily balanced and is buggy too of course

i also like that he made a hoi4 to new world order converter which means you can play vicky 2, hoi4, and then vicky 2 again.

e: for all the downsides, i've played a lot of cold war mods for various pdox games and it's the best i've seen at least. people keep trying to make hearts of iron into a cold war game and it never ever works.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 15, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

you can give it a try https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-world-order-mod.823674/ if you like. try to unite china!

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Agean90 posted:

Fair warning, the tyranny thread is salty as gently caress about pillar of eternity for some reason and it carries over.

Pretty sure the reason is "PoE wasn't exactly as good as my memories of playing BGII at 14 are."

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

My complaint about Pillars of Eternity is that the writing felt more interested in world building than in building an interesting narrative, to the point where I can only name like Raedric and most party-members when remembering the game. It is a cool world, mind, so I am looking forward to the tabletop adaptation more than I am to a PoE2.

Also the combat felt boring to me, and there was too much of it. Apart from that it graphically beautiful and mechanically well-made.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Zohar posted:

Huh. I did not know that. Now I look stupid!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

They probably would have said no and gone to war over it BUT they were my ally in another war and so couldn't

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Only way to win NWO is to balkanize India and China before they can suck up the world's industry. Making them communist also works.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Only way to win NWO is to balkanize India and China before they can suck up the world's industry. Making them communist also works.

You can also maintain the stalemate between the chinas until they make peace, making them both worthless.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Kenlon posted:

Pretty sure the reason is "PoE wasn't exactly good."

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Sounds historical.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

e: for all the downsides, i've played a lot of cold war mods for various pdox games and it's the best i've seen at least.

I put a lot of work into the NWO mod, and while the team made a bunch of decisions I rolled my eyes to, it's really nice to see people still enjoying it so much. Just wanted to say thanks, you made my day.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

I'm telling ropekid and he's gonna beat you up

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

How are you suppossed to attack China in Heart of Darkness? I went to war with China and they ambushed one of my armies with 700 divisions. Like, holy gently caress balls, China's manpower pool is infinite.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

A White Guy posted:

How are you suppossed to attack China in Heart of Darkness? I went to war with China and they ambushed one of my armies with 700 divisions. Like, holy gently caress balls, China's manpower pool is infinite.

Are they pre- or post-westernization? If the former, they have a ton of troops but those troops are absolute crap. You should be able to roll over them as a western power with a much smaller force (for one thing, you have artillery and they don't). If it's post-westernization, well, you should have acted faster. China's already won by that point.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's the NEW WORLD ORDER mod, which is hilarious and great and I love it. I ended up losing because France invaded and the brave people of Yugoslavia were unable to resist. Stalin had recently kicked us out of the comintern and wouldn't help, rip tito

It didn't help that we got sphered by Columbia, who somehow had become a world power

Not being familiar with Vicky 2's interface, for a minute I thought that was that aborted Cold War game. East versus West? I forget what it was called.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

A White Guy posted:

Early china has like, farmers and poo poo for troops. As long as you have a proper army and proceed systematically you should be fine. You can't wear down their manpower like you can with a normal country, so you just want to slowly occupy the country without dividing up your force too much. They can't fight artillery and win, and mobilization is fantastically expensive for them which essentially means they'll go bankrupt in a long war

e:

Phlegmish posted:

Not being familiar with Vicky 2's interface, for a minute I thought that was that aborted Cold War game. East versus West? I forget what it was called.

Nobody should ever play East v West

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 16, 2016

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
4chan's Grand Strategy General thread made a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXRQmu3gRWw

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Enjoy posted:

4chan's Grand Strategy General thread made a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXRQmu3gRWw

We are on the wrong dead gay strategy game comedy forum.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Bored at work, so here are some random thoughts about how I think a hypothetical Victoria sequel could work:

1) instead of fixed political parties, your government could be represented by a combination of core ideal (conservative, liberal, reactionary, communist, etc.) and key issues (immigration policy, religious tolerance, economic policy, etc.). Basically, the same thing parties do in Victoria 2, but instead of being a package deal, they'd all be picked separately - pops would have particular preferences on issues and would become more discontent the farther away your government is from their preferred policy. Government form could then affect how these policies are changed - democracies would allow pops to vote on them, so to get the ones you want you'd have to use national focuses to sway people towards your preferred viewpoint. The trade off would be that pops under democracy wouldn't gain militancy if the government policies don't match their preferences, since there's always next election. Under a dictatorship of some form, you could just pick what you want (although some policies would probably be restricted by ideal - communist governments for example could only choose state capitalism or planned economy), but you'd still have to consider your choices against you pop's preferences since with no other options they'll me likely to revolt against a government with policies they don't like.

2) One thing I feel is missing from Victoria 2 is the emphasis on urbanization and gentrification that was such a feature of the period. It's kind of weird to me that pops sort of spread out uniformly across the world regardless of class and that factories end up getting built in the rear end end of nowhere because every state can fit 8. Instead I think it would be more interesting if states could be developed over time, either by state investment or wealthy capitalists, increasing the amount of factories that could be built there and drawing in the middle and upper classes. Immigrants in general would also be drawn to more urbanized areas (since people go where the work is), so even as a small nation you could turn yourself into an economic powerhouse by building tall, drawing people from around the world. I think this would make for a more dynamic world, and also be a more interesting way to represent immigration than the kind of arbitrary "everyone immigrates to the Americas" modifier.

3) Artisans are kind of odd in the game, since they're basically just "factories, but much less efficient and also you can't subsidize them". Even though the Victorian era was the Industrial Age, artisans never really went away entirely - they just shifted from everyday items (which factories are much better at) to luxury goods. To that end, I think it would make sense that things like luxury clothes/furniture would be artisan crafted only - and thus a sign of a strong economy would be that people could afford such relatively scarce items.

Anyway, that's all basically just designer fan fiction since there's no indication that there will even BE a Victoria sequel, but it's just some random stuff I've been thinking about after playing again recently.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I think artisans actually start out more efficient than factories.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

1) instead of fixed political parties, your government could be represented by a combination of core ideal (conservative, liberal, reactionary, communist, etc.) and key issues (immigration policy, religious tolerance, economic policy, etc.). Basically, the same thing parties do in Victoria 2, but instead of being a package deal, they'd all be picked separately - pops would have particular preferences on issues and would become more discontent the farther away your government is from their preferred policy. Government form could then affect how these policies are changed - democracies would allow pops to vote on them, so to get the ones you want you'd have to use national focuses to sway people towards your preferred viewpoint. The trade off would be that pops under democracy wouldn't gain militancy if the government policies don't match their preferences, since there's always next election. Under a dictatorship of some form, you could just pick what you want (although some policies would probably be restricted by ideal - communist governments for example could only choose state capitalism or planned economy), but you'd still have to consider your choices against you pop's preferences since with no other options they'll me likely to revolt against a government with policies they don't like.

I really like this idea. Victoria 2 was very much a political simulator, but I would love to see it be even more of one. This system would enable that without it being too complicated.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

I think artisans actually start out more efficient than factories.

I remember this being true, it's something that can gently caress up your industrialization because you lose efficiency early on.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Do people in Sweden regularly swear in English?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

Do people in Sweden regularly swear in English?
Welcome to the globalized world m8

"gently caress" is a powerful word

Also, why are so many of the Paradox early-access streamers such steaming garbage? I've given up looking at previews from Tyranny because holy poo poo, I don't wanna listen to some sperglord take 40 minutes making a character, reading the text on screen as if I can't loving read it and then pause all the drat time like intro level combat warrants this

jesus

VV

yup

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 18, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is Tyranny going to be real time with pause like Pillars was? 'Cause I'm not interested if that's the case.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

double nine posted:

Is Tyranny going to be real time with pause like Pillars was? 'Cause I'm not interested if that's the case.

It's real time with pause- I think they're borrowing most of what they developed for Pillars...

https://blog.tyrannygame.com/2016/06/29/dev-diary-5-combat/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

It's real time with pause- I think they're borrowing most of what they developed for Pillars...

https://blog.tyrannygame.com/2016/06/29/dev-diary-5-combat/

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehh :(

ah well. Bargain sale it is.