Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm inordinately proud that my first bike was a 71 CL350 and I managed to restore it without putting on clubmans or a GP seat or vintage rubber or anything. New paint, a smaller (but period-correct) twin taillight, an LED headlamp and custom knee grips are about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Dog Case posted:

The next cool thing will be chopping up faired bikes to make scramblers
From what I've seen in our shop it's all about bobbers now. Not that anyone really knows what a bobber is. But also we're a backwater location, they might be on scramblers or flat trackers in San Fran or Brooklyn by now.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Dog Case posted:

The next cool thing will be chopping up faired bikes to make scramblers

Yeah, but that's cool and good.

Renaissance Robot posted:

what if I buy a cafe racer and put a dustbin fairing on it, those are still cool right

Those were never cool.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

From what I've seen in our shop it's all about bobbers now. Not that anyone really knows what a bobber is. But also we're a backwater location, they might be on scramblers or flat trackers in San Fran or Brooklyn by now.

I think if I were to be a hipster and cut into a motorcycle, I'd probably go flat tracker. That or turning an old standard into an adventure bike.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

YF19pilot posted:

I think if I were to be a hipster and cut into a motorcycle, I'd probably go flat tracker. That or turning an old standard into an adventure bike.

I've actually been wondering how well one could convert an SV650 into a sumo. I'd have to find some long travel USD forks that could be swapped onto it, and a longer travel shock for the rear, but one of the best improvements you can do to an SV is to replace it's suspension with literally anything else, so there's plenty of data out there on fork and shock swaps for them, so hmmm.

I mean, it makes a pretty passable dual-sport/ADV conversion, just need to do this with like some DRZ400-SM forks or some off a SMC-R or something instead of crappy 'ol damper rod forks from a random dirt bike:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I've seen a couple of those svmos, and honestly, it's just like whyyy. Spend all that time and effort wrenching to make a bike that's neither a good sumo/dirtbike nor a good sport standard.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

M42 posted:

a bike that's neither a good sumo/dirtbike nor a good sport standard.
So a dualsport then?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

It's not even a good one of those, compared to a factory duallie.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

It's not even a good one of those, compared to a factory duallie.

How do you feel about the old africa twins? Cause they're even heavier and less gutsy than an SV with big wheels and suspension on it.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The only real problem with an SV650 sumo/scrambler is that you shouldn't wheelie it. Crazy Klaus (as seen on Suburban Delinquent) has a beater sv scrambler that he relentlessly abuses, and it's beautiful.

Unrelated rant- I hope the cesspool visionary who signed off on the 690 SMC muffler was banned from the industry. I don't understand how you can make something that looks and sounds so good, and yet miss that it gets hotter than a header pipe in may. It's melted so many things so far, including the bike's own tail plastics, and has just taken a huge glob of plastic from my cover. This, despite the fact that the plastic was accidentally in contact with it for no more than half a second. Now I have this four inch square bit of black plastic that is not coming off under conventional removal means.

Oh, and I burned my hand trying to get it wiped off. A real piece of stellar engineering right there, KTM.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

The only real problem with an SV650 sumo/scrambler is that you shouldn't wheelie it. Crazy Klaus (as seen on Suburban Delinquent) has a beater sv scrambler that he relentlessly abuses, and it's beautiful.

Unrelated rant- I hope the cesspool visionary who signed off on the 690 SMC muffler was banned from the industry. I don't understand how you can make something that looks and sounds so good, and yet miss that it gets hotter than a header pipe in may. It's melted so many things so far, including the bike's own tail plastics, and has just taken a huge glob of plastic from my cover. This, despite the fact that the plastic was accidentally in contact with it for no more than half a second. Now I have this four inch square bit of black plastic that is not coming off under conventional removal means.

Oh, and I burned my hand trying to get it wiped off. A real piece of stellar engineering right there, KTM.

Just drill out the cat.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's a good suggestion, thank you. I hadn't heard that was a thing. If I can do it without cutting the muffler, I might. http://690enduror.blogspot.com/2014/11/decatting-690-enduro-r-stock-exhaust.html?m=1

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Fix your fueling. The thing gets hot as hell, but if it's melting your plastics (besides the turn signal, lol) it's running way too hot, which indicates the fueling is somehow hosed up.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Yeah, mine doesn't melt any plastics or anything, just the indicator (which the police kindly pointed out last time I got pulled over).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
After the discussion about ball-crushing in whatever thread it was, I managed to crush mine twice in about ten seconds this morning. I blame the cold weather changing their normal weight distribution.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Apart from the earlier mentioned numbness, I've only managed one ball-aching accident on the bike. I accidentally nudged it into first gear while holding the front brake and the bike gave me a well deserved kick in the nuts before stalling.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Who had the story about the first-time rider on a Harley that threw it into a telephone pole (or some sort of heavy, solid object) and literally mangled his dick?

That's pretty much my personal nightmare scenario, right there.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Ripoff posted:

Who had the story about the first-time rider on a Harley that threw it into a telephone pole (or some sort of heavy, solid object) and literally mangled his dick?

That's pretty much my personal nightmare scenario, right there.

"It's a miracle Mrs. Ripoff. He has no broken bones or abrasions of any kind, and when we pulled his helmet off his hair was perfect. There is just one thing: we need to talk about his dick. You're going to want to sit down for this."

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm pretty sure that was an episode of Rick and Morty

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

Fix your fueling. The thing gets hot as hell, but if it's melting your plastics (besides the turn signal, lol) it's running way too hot, which indicates the fueling is somehow hosed up.
Thank you for your concern! I feel like the bike isn't broken, or Jazzzzz would have noticed. Plastics are melting because they are touching the muffler along the edge. Now, whether they have drooped on that side due to the heat, or it's misallignment, I don't know. Fueling is set to "2" which is performance, but still stock map. I get some little popping on decell when I'm riding hard, but my MPG are in the upper 50s, so I feel like it must not be dumping fuel willy nilly. What else should I check for, without going all tuneECU?

Wing's exhaust people sent a nice email and offered to send me one for 426 usd shipped, and include a custom ultra quiet db killer. I love the stock exhaust look and sound, but I'm sorely tempted by such a nice deal on the pipe I'll want down the road.

I'm pretty sure that was an episode of Rick and Morty

Nice!

edit: For what it's worth, I had planned to get the cooler thermostat switch installed asap, since before I bought the bike.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 5, 2016

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

After the discussion about ball-crushing in whatever thread it was, I managed to crush mine twice in about ten seconds this morning. I blame the cold weather changing their normal weight distribution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNx3co9kyOg

Enjoy some schadenfreude and a little funk classic.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have a buddy who target fixated his way off the road on an Sv650, and the resulting wreck caused his balls to hit the tank so hard that one of them literally cracked

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Does A* make a cup that will match the rest of my gear?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have a buddy who target fixated his way off the road on an Sv650, and the resulting wreck caused his balls to hit the tank so hard that one of them literally cracked

Thanks for sharing that ...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Coydog posted:

Thank you for your concern! I feel like the bike isn't broken, or Jazzzzz would have noticed. Plastics are melting because they are touching the muffler along the edge. Now, whether they have drooped on that side due to the heat, or it's misallignment, I don't know. Fueling is set to "2" which is performance, but still stock map. I get some little popping on decell when I'm riding hard, but my MPG are in the upper 50s, so I feel like it must not be dumping fuel willy nilly. What else should I check for, without going all tuneECU?

Wing's exhaust people sent a nice email and offered to send me one for 426 usd shipped, and include a custom ultra quiet db killer. I love the stock exhaust look and sound, but I'm sorely tempted by such a nice deal on the pipe I'll want down the road.

Nice!

edit: For what it's worth, I had planned to get the cooler thermostat switch installed asap, since before I bought the bike.

Ahh, ok, if it's touching the exhaust then I'd correct that. But if everything is in the stock locations it shouldn't melt the tail plastics.

Getting a 690 fueling appropriately is really difficult, and usually robs the midrange that really makes the bike.

Eaterofpoptarts
Oct 7, 2013
Is it too late to make fun of C2W? This one is my personal favorite. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGDb39bBWFY&t=173s

Rider before him goes through the turn just fine, He goes through and gets on the throttle too soon (which you can hear) and loses the rear, blames it on a patch of gravel. He was getting flamed so hard in the comments that he disabled them from the video.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

I haven't been reading this thread so sorry for being a couple of days late on the reply. What tail plastic is it melting?! Definitely didn't ever have an issue with that, even after a 2+ hour ride on the slab in the middle of summer - I was always amazed that I never managed to melt the turn signal. I did melt a brand new pair of overpants on the header, which is why I wrapped it.

The Powercore 4 that went with the bike runs cooler than the stock exhaust but as Z3n said it screws with the midrange, and it's pretty loud. Takes about 15 minutes tops to swap over, so you can give it a shot and see.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh don't worry or feel responsible. The 690 is treating me wonderfully, and I love it in just about every way. The tail plastic is just barely touching the exhaust, and constantly melting against it. Everything else looks positioned correctly, but I may remove the tail plastics and see if I can get them shifted left a bit. The real problem of it insta melting anything that comes close to it remains, and is #justKTM690things.

I'm going to sell that FMF. After further thought I really am not interested in how they have no chill noise levels. Instead, I pulled the trigger on a Wings exhaust today, and am being sent a custom made ultra quiet insert with it, so I can enjoy similar noise levels. I was going to get a wings next year when I made it faster, so I have no problems picking one up now to use with inserts. Worst case, I like the stock one better, and toss the wings into the closet until next year. :)

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Toss it up on ADVRider, it's crawling with dudes that have 690 enduros

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
My car died of neglect in my garage; I haven't used it since I bought my SMT.
Winter is coming up though. Battery, tires, fix the heat, heated driver seat, CEL from an O2 sensor, replace the broken $600 proximity key... ehhhh.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Revvik posted:

My car died of neglect in my garage; I haven't used it since I bought my SMT.
Winter is coming up though. Battery, tires, fix the heat, heated driver seat, CEL from an O2 sensor, replace the broken $600 proximity key... ehhhh.

Where do you live? Can you just go motorcycle all winter with some warm gear?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Day Man posted:

Where do you live? Can you just go motorcycle all winter with some warm gear?

Michigan. Not really, no. It gets just vicious enough.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Revvik posted:

Michigan. Not really, no. It gets just vicious enough.

Yeah, you should just move someplace warmer

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I can't tell if my bike is loud because I always wear earplugs. :v:
I was out of the country and missed this discussion, but- same. It's always unnerving to fire a bike up without plugs in and hear all the noises I normally miss.

My F4i with a Yosh RS3 was annoyingly loud without the insert. With the insert, it's perfect, and arguably less disturbing to the neighbors than my old stock Ninjette.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
USPS lost my $300 Tuono cluster, the eBay seller only has the default $100 Priority Mail insurance, and I need it to run the Tuono for a trackday on Friday. :allears:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 16, 2016

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Can't you run the crosstalky one?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I can for the track but I broke the stepper motor (of course) putting it back together so now RPM doesn't work either. No speed and no RPM makes it difficult to street ride. :allears:

The roundabout thing here is that I'm prepping to sell it and this delays that.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 16, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

I can for the track but I broke the stepper motor (of course) putting it back together so now RPM doesn't work either. No speed and no RPM makes it difficult to street ride. :allears:

Surely you can hear the RPM and base your speed on traffic?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Surely you can hear the RPM and base your speed on traffic?

Engine lugging: you're doing car speeds go faster.

Engine screaming: you're attracting attention go slower.

...wait that's what I always do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I'm going to buy a louder exhaust because I don't have a tach and can't hear my revs in traffic.