Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electromax
May 6, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

I'd love some sex scenes tbh

Young Mon Mothma is in this one, I'd put it at 65% likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Crion posted:

I'm not sure there's any answer to the parentage question that properly respects the amount of weight Episode VII put on 1) the importance of remembering one's past, figuratively and literally, and learning from it and 2) the importance of Rey's past specifically that isn't "child of Skywalker and Erso," to be honest. It means Luke's a lovely dad and mom's probably dead, but it is what it is. Every theory involving Snoke and Kenobi sounds precisely like what the reveal would be if this was being plotted by LOST writers more concerned about pulling one over on the audience than telling a coherent narrative.

You could go with "they're nobodies, haven't thought about them" but characters in Star Wars, Force-users especially, are constantly thinking about parents and parent figures. Fewer people would care too much about Rey's parentage if the main Jedi in the prequels wasn't defined by "I never had a dad, and chose my father figure very poorly," the main Jedi in OT wasn't defined by "I thought my dad was dead, but now I must stop/save him," and the other Jedi in EpVII wasn't defined by "gently caress my dad."

Lineage and bloodline are important aspects of the mythic storytelling tradition which Star Wars is based on, but a lot of more modernistic fans really don't like that. The movies do also deal with adoptive parents (the Organas, the Larses), surrogate parents (Watto, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Palpatine), and non-traditional parents (Jango Fett), but humans have always had and probably always will have a fixation on knowing where they came from in a genealogical sense, for good or ill. Of course there are people who couldn't care less but I think they're probably in the minority.

This whole obsession with wanting all the characters to be absolute nobodies with no genealogical relations to the great heroes of the past is a result of some sort of misguided progressive reservations about anything that might smack even faintly of genetic determinism. But the reason that's misguided is because although the genealogical relations are always literal in the stories, symbolically they're just a motif expressing the idea of historical continuity and the cyclical nature of human life. It's why the genealogies are so important in the Bible. If you do away the literal bloodline connections then you're basically reduced to just outright explaining all those ideas in some spurt of long-winded verbal exposition, which is mythically unaesthetic.

Luke or Rey being complete nobodies and then finding out they're actually the offspring of great heroes is a metaphor for the hidden greatness that lies within everybody. We're all the offspring of great heroes, because that's our lineage as members of the human race. You also have heroes like Han Solo or Finn who are less mythically-infused expressions of that idea, but those characters wouldn't work without characters like Luke Skywalker and Rey to complement them. Again, not everyone has to be Han Solo.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 14, 2016

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Electromax posted:

Young Mon Mothma is in this one, I'd put it at 65% likely.

MMILF?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

GORDON posted:

I just watched the second R1 trailer once and now I am getting the vibe that the rebel girl is Tarkin's daughter.

Wait, you saw the trailer where Mads Mikkelsen's character tells little Jyn that he's doing what he's doing to protect her, and then the Empire comes to visit him, and you concluded that she's Tarkin's daughter?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Jyn & Tarkin

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Marr Garita

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Meah Teball

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Zoran posted:

Wait, you saw the trailer where Mads Mikkelsen's character tells little Jyn that he's doing what he's doing to protect her, and then the Empire comes to visit him, and you concluded that she's Tarkin's daughter?

Goons are notoriously bad at paying attention.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Zoran posted:

I only watched it once, but here's what I remember:

- WHEN DID YOU LAST SEE YOUR FATHER? Then we see Tarkin looking stern.

- "We are protecting you..." why would she need protecting from Tarkin?

But whatever. I'm notoriously bad at paying attention.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

GORDON posted:

I only watched it once, but here's what I remember:

- WHEN DID YOU LAST SEE YOUR FATHER? Then we see Tarkin looking stern.

- "We are protecting you..." why would she need protecting from Tarkin?

But whatever. I'm notoriously bad at paying attention.

Grand Moff Tarkin is not in that trailer, except perhaps for the back of his head. The guy in white doing the usual Shakespeare Nazi song and dance is one "Director Orson Krennic."

Crion fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 15, 2016

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Crion posted:

Grand Moff Tarkin is not in that trailer, except perhaps for the back of his head. The guy in white doing the usual Shakespeare Nazi song and dance is one "Director Orson Krennic."

The dude in white ins't Tarkin? I assumed they recast him and he was in it a lot.

I should have read the novelization of the trailer, then I would know all the names like everyone else.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, NERDS.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Tarkin didn't wear white.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

GORDON posted:

The dude in white ins't Tarkin? I assumed they recast him and he was in it a lot.

I should have read the novelization of the trailer, then I would know all the names like everyone else.

Pretty strange tack to take for someone assuming a character is one who had a supporting role in a single movie almost 40 years ago.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

GORDON posted:

That's your call. "Knowing even a single thing" might help your posting some, but I'm skeptical.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Yo, Vader is gonna shove Krennic down and say hurtful things to him.

Then he's gonna kill him. Probably.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

GORDON posted:

Oh, I understand mistaking the guy in the fancy imperial outfit for Tarkin, but the man who was talking to little Jyn was completely different.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Gonz posted:

Yo, Vader is gonna shove Krennic down and say hurtful things to him.

Then he's gonna kill him. Probably.

He's definitely gonna die the second he's outlived his usefulness, in terms of being the guy that got the Death Star done by whatever means necessary. Can't have a guy walking around thinking that it's 'theirs.'

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

rear end Catchcum posted:

I'd love some sex scenes tbh

Watch Attack of the Clones

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

LesterGroans posted:

Pretty strange tack to take for someone assuming a character is one who had a supporting role in a single movie almost 40 years ago.

I just can't help it.....

You think it is strange that a person would think that Tarkin, who has been shown in the TV shows as being part of the construction and control of the Death Star, might have a large role in a movie about the construction of the Death Star? This seems like a leap?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

He's making fun of you for being a hypocrite and an idiot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

cargohills posted:

Well that's not nice.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cargohills posted:

I guess the angry sense of humor in CD is just beyond my understanding. Y'all have fun being mean your star wars discussion, I guess

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

GORDON posted:

You think it is strange that a person would think that Tarkin, who has been shown in the TV shows as being part of the construction and control of the Death Star, might have a large role in a movie about the construction of the Death Star? This seems like a leap?

No. I just think it's silly to be all "sorry I'm not a nerd like y'all" about it.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

LesterGroans posted:

No. I just think it's silly to be all "sorry I'm not a nerd like y'all" about it.

Dude, tone down your angry sense of humor!!!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Well that's not nice.

Equeen posted:

Dude, tone down your angry sense of humor!!!

I never said I was a role model.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

LesterGroans posted:

That was because I have literally no idea how everyone knows their names already. I prefaced my statements with the disclaimer that I only watchd the trailer once, and everyone is being a turd about it. I apologize for NOT "reading the novelization" before sharing an impression. I am an idiot and hipocrite. Not a fun star wars discussion.

Y'all giving me a headache.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

GORDON posted:

That was because I have literally no idea how everyone knows their names already. I prefaced my statements with the disclaimer that I only watchd the trailer once, and everyone is being a turd about it. I apologize for NOT "reading the novelization" before sharing an impression. I am an idiot and hipocrite. Not a fun star wars discussion.

The Rogue One novelization isn't out yet.

Everyone knows character names because they've been pretty broadly publicized; there was a movie magazine that gave essentially a run down of the cast and the names of their characters, there's been a couple major conventions, merchandise is on shelves with character names all over it, almost every article I've read refers to both character and actor names.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

GORDON posted:

That headache could have been avoided if you just owned up to your mistake ("Oh, that character wasn't Tarkin? My bad".)

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

GORDON posted:

what are your opinions on the prequels, OP?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

LesterGroans posted:

I just think it's silly to be all "sorry I'm not a nerd like y'all" about it.

and then admit to watching the star wars cartoon

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
An outsider, kill hiiiiim

edit: trailer is good, made me want to rewatch godzilla. Gotta check out monsters too

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Black Bones posted:

An outsider, kill hiiiiim

edit: trailer is good, made me want to rewatch godzilla.

Be sure to turn the brightness up on you TV first. Home release transfer is too dark.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Everyone calm down, it's not like Gordon has said anything particularly inflammatory or unforgivable, like that Dexter Jettster is bad or something.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Cnut the Great posted:

Everyone calm down, it's not like Gordon has said anything particularly inflammatory or unforgivable, like that Dexter Jettster is bad or something.

Do you think that would have been worse than saying the Battle of Geonosis was boring?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Zoran posted:

Do you think that would have been worse than saying the Battle of Geonosis was boring?

That poo poo was pretty boring. CG robots and faceless clones running straight at each other shooting! Exciting!

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Post your favorite Battle of Geonosis moments!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Serious question: if Disney partnered with Netflix or HBO and put out a Star Wars prestigious drama what would you want it based on?
I'm thinking Shmi's early years (interactions with local characters).

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cnut the Great posted:

Post your favorite Battle of Geonosis moments!

I don't have any gifs, but everything C3P0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Lampsacus posted:

Serious question: if Disney partnered with Netflix or HBO and put out a Star Wars prestigious drama what would you want it based on?
I'm thinking Shmi's early years (interactions with local characters).

Remake the OT :getin:

• Locked thread