Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lycus posted:

If you watch Star Trek, you have to accept transporters and FTL travel. If you watch Westworld, you have to accept smart bullets and fleshy androids. That's how sci-fi works.

To be clear, I do. It was just something that was explained in the original movie, so I thought it might come up. No explanation at all (or, in this case, the writer's interview explanation) are fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Thanks, that's cool, and sorry for bringing up a thing that is probably mentioned once every two pages :v:

Don't worry about it, added to op

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lycus posted:

If you watch Star Trek, you have to accept transporters and FTL travel. If you watch Westworld, you have to accept smart bullets and fleshy androids. That's how sci-fi works.

Right, but Westworld DOES have an explanation for it. His question is valid. Its only a problem because

Bicyclops posted:

Thanks, that's cool, and sorry for bringing up a thing that is probably mentioned once every two pages :v:

yeeep.

Don't have much else to talk about till the next episode airs though, so whatever.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't have much else to talk about till the next episode airs though, so whatever.

Watched ep two again.

To go along with Ford summoning the snake, Ed Harris summons Larry's family. The wife and daughter that is. His words were, "You never told me you had a family". Boom, out they walk.

Scripted events are neat to see in real time.

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
I like the idea that The Man in Black is hacking the game using maximum sadism to unlock hidden content in the hosts' minds. It fits with what we've seen so far.

My original interpretation was that the Easter Eggs are unlocked by an arcane combination of variables, much like real life video game exploits. When he scalps the host to find the maze, he first drains three liters of blood. That seems exactly like the kind of oddly specific action that exploits require.

Maybe the scalp maze is only visible after a certain amount of blood loss, like a color-changing pigment. It'd be weird if scalp mazes just show up anytime a host loses their scalp. That kind of injury would be widespread in an Indian Wars storyline. You'd think other guests would notice if it was that common.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
We're both free and clear to murder these people!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVW0n8UCVZc

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

insider posted:

Ok this seriously needs to be in the OP or something.

How Guns Work in Westworld:

FWIW simunitions aren't danger-free. Sure, if you get shot in the chest with one you won't die. But you'll get a big welt, and it wouldn't be fun. They don't just go "poof" in a cloud of smoke like what happened to Ed Harris in the first episode. They hurt more than paintballs IMO, and if you got shot in the eye with one or something you'd lose your eye.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Craptacular posted:

FWIW simunitions aren't danger-free. Sure, if you get shot in the chest with one you won't die. But you'll get a big welt, and it wouldn't be fun. They don't just go "poof" in a cloud of smoke like what happened to Ed Harris in the first episode. They hurt more than paintballs IMO, and if you got shot in the eye with one or something you'd lose your eye.

The show is set in the future, they have solved the problem by using technology.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
A tiny wizard lives in each bullet.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Why is no one talking about that wolf that's in some of the weird flashback/day dream sequences?

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

pik_d posted:

Why is no one talking about that wolf that's in each of Dolores' weird flashback/day dream sequences?

Because there's no way to know what it means yet and there's way cooler poo poo to discuss idk

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Paulocaust posted:

Because there's no way to know what it means yet and there's way cooler poo poo to discuss idk

What, like how does the Man in Black's gun work for the 8th time?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
This show must be loving good. Cause we all can't stop loving talking about it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
There is obviously some danger involved with the weapons: MiB's endmove is to put the host's gun to his head, at which point their Good SamaritanTM reflex prevents them from shooting. They always lose their will and collapse or drop their weapons when MiB puts their gun right on his forehead. So the muzzle flash or a point-blank shot can be harmful, if not fatal.

Also, there is always the danger of something else getting lodged (or being placed :ninja: ) in the barrel. What's that called? A squib fire that gets pushed out by the next shot? Dolores could always just put a pebble in her gun and even if it has WizardAISmartBullet TechnologyTM, it would still get fired by the shell and do some damage.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah, I find the obsession with the guns/bullets interesting. Simunitions works for me, and so does something as benign as "guests get personal forcefields" or something - boom, done. (I suppose the bullets explanation will be more pertinent if Dolores ends up using the dug-up gun on a guest or something and it's just a regular gun with regular bullets that ends up hurting people.)

What keeps bringing me out of suspended disbelief is how much money the entire facility must be bleeding. They have something like at least a hundred sub-levels (given the "breach" that occurred on 83) and of course the hosts themselves which must be cleaned and patched up each night/week, stored, programmed and so on. Mostly it's the scope of the building that makes it seem unrealistic to me.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Clocks posted:

Yeah, I find the obsession with the guns/bullets interesting. Simunitions works for me, and so does something as benign as "guests get personal forcefields" or something - boom, done. (I suppose the bullets explanation will be more pertinent if Dolores ends up using the dug-up gun on a guest or something and it's just a regular gun with regular bullets that ends up hurting people.)

What keeps bringing me out of suspended disbelief is how much money the entire facility must be bleeding. They have something like at least a hundred sub-levels (given the "breach" that occurred on 83) and of course the hosts themselves which must be cleaned and patched up each night/week, stored, programmed and so on. Mostly it's the scope of the building that makes it seem unrealistic to me.

:eng101: Did you know that most of the Disney complex in Florida actually built on the roof of a 9 acre superstructure which houses all of their utility, maintenance, and whatnot because the water table is too high.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Clocks posted:

And that they are allocating funds away from fixing an entire sub level that is no longer used for anything but housing decommissioned units?

Or that they are only allowing 20 units, when a writer of a brand new story line asks for 50?

Or that corporate is having them line item every expenditure, instead of simply giving them a yearly budget?

Or that the employees of Delos are paid only enough to give the smallest of shits about their jobs? "What I'd gently caress her, what's the problem?"

I'm not calling you out, I'm giving you reason to get reinvested. :)

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Clocks posted:

It's stated many times in the show that the guests are all rich. They're all one-percenters. In the movie, the cost of Westworld is $1000 a night. While it hasn't been stated in the show, we can imagine that it's being priced at more-than-a-premium in the show too. This is exactly the kind of experiental poo poo that the ultra-rich would be willing to blow money on; I once heard a horrifying story of a friend who, in Thailand, was shown a rocket launcher in the back of a car boot with the offer to blow up a living cow for $300. He didn't take up the offer, but we can imagine that there are freaks out there who would.

The park has been around a while - at least 30 years - and while they're trying to constantly improve it, we also can imagine they've had time to automate as much as possible to bring costs down.

If I understand the original film correctly, that's part of why the robots become killers - there's a line about "computers improving the CPUs, not just humans" and so that algorithm probably decided it would be more efficient to just kill the humans.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
40K/night for standard expenses to 200K/night for a gold package.

It's cannon on the westworld site.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Craptacular posted:

That's because Ed Harris is a robot hellbent on revenge. Simunitions would hurt a normal guest but that guy is all synthetic. He just had his "blow the guts out" servos disabled so he can't be destroyed by bullets.

Also if Ed Harris gets to use a knife what's to stop him from not realizing a host is actually a guest and slicing a real human throat open?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The Westworld site is pretty cool. If you tell Aeden a host name, it'll tell you what sort of quests you can do with them. A Delos employee, it'll tell you what their job is. It won't talk about guests because of privacy, but will say this about MiB: "Just between you and me, though, the Man in Black is something of a VIP."

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Also if Ed Harris gets to use a knife what's to stop him from not realizing a host is actually a guest and slicing a real human throat open?

quote:

(b) Statistically speaking, you are more likely to die from lightning strike than to die while in a Delos park. However, the following causes of accidental death have occurred within the Delos Destinations compound: buffalo stampede, self- cannibalism, accidental hanging, drowning, 3rd-degree burns, autoerotic asphyxiation, blunt force trauma, allergic reaction to non-native plant life, falling from great heights, common manslaughter, tumbleweeds. You absolve Delos, Inc. of any wrongdoing if you or anyone in your party suffers bodily harm while using The Service, and you agree to not sue or prosecute Delos, Inc. or any of the smaller entities falling under the Delos Corporation.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 16, 2016

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

whalestory posted:

I'll never understand why you wouldn't nonchalantly mow down non-enemy NPCs in a video game :smug:

The two are linked, probably. :iceburn:

"I'm mad at the sun because I can see what's coming and it's spoilers! Gonna murderfuck all these NPCs now."

--- A guy who hates spoilers

whalestory posted:

The experience is diminished for me a lot of times! Experiencing something unspoiled isn't really an experience you can get back

I feel like a lot of people read about that study that had people who were given spoilers gave a very slightly higher enjoyment rating and thinking that that means there's a hard fast rule that spoilers = more enjoyment. There's a difference between someone yelling some spoiler out at you while you're waiting in line to buy a harry potter book or whatever, and reading an opening paragraph before a short story that spoils some story elements. Those test subjects aren't exactly working themselves up to reading some short stories that a couple of psychologists selected for their study.

The short stories were selected because they were easy to control, and also the test subjects would not participate if TV was involved because they would throw hissyfits about having their precious experiences sullied by foreknowledge. The scientists did the best they could, man. First World Problems.

Zaphod42 posted:

Enough arguing about spoilers being bad or not.

Its against the sub rules. Period. If you think that's dumb, go argue with a mod and enjoy your probation.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard looking at you here.

Tagging spoilers isn't hard.

I haven't spoiled anything, so maybe worry about that some more if I ever do. But the secret is I won't, sorry. No matter how much you hope I will.

VendaGoat posted:

I'll say this though. As much thought as it seems as has been put into this show, I trust the people making the previews, to not give away anything and simply tease you along to want more.

Trust. An interesting concept.

What is the park's policy on spoilers, do you think? You sign a waver and aren't supposed to talk about your stay, that much is clear from the ARG websites, but how on earth can they enforce something so nebulous and dependent on so many moving parts? People are gonna talk about their experiences, good or bad, with people they know. What percentage of people on Earth have signed this NDA at this point?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

What is the park's policy on spoilers, do you think? You sign a waver and aren't supposed to talk about your stay, that much is clear from the ARG websites, but how on earth can they enforce something so nebulous and dependent on so many moving parts? People are gonna talk about their experiences, good or bad, with people they know. What percentage of people on Earth have signed this NDA at this point?

There are real world equivalents to this. There are little things that Disney World likes to keep as surprises, but of course they're out on the internet in guides to the park. Agatha Christie's longest running play still has all of the actors ask the audience to solemnly swear they won't give away the ending, but it's got to be on Wikipedia. There's no non-disclosure agreement there, but the "secret" in both cases is at least partially kept by people sort of feeling like they're part of a secret club. I'm sure the wealthy regulars sometimes talk among themselves and say "Hey, have you found that adventure you can get if you're across the river after noon?" but they're probably happy to say "You'll see... if you can afford it." to everyone else.

Plus there is some indication that they change things around a lot, so it may only be the people who have been showing up in the last half-decade who know anything worth spoiling.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Lycus posted:

(b) Statistically speaking, you are more likely to die from lightning strike than to die while in a Delos park. However, the following causes of accidental death have occurred within the Delos Destinations compound: buffalo stampede, self- cannibalism, accidental hanging, drowning, 3rd-degree burns, autoerotic asphyxiation, blunt force trauma, allergic reaction to non-native plant life, falling from great heights, common manslaughter, tumbleweeds. You absolve Delos, Inc. of any wrongdoing if you or anyone in your party suffers bodily harm while using The Service, and you agree to not sue or prosecute Delos, Inc. or any of the smaller entities falling under the Delos Corporation.

that's a very specific list of ways to die

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
How do you kill someone with a tumbleweed?

Asking for a friend.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Make them eat it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Pixelante posted:

How do you kill someone with a tumbleweed?

Asking for a friend.

Affix notes to the tumbleweed, upon which are written spoilers.

Person will die of being a butthurt pissbaby.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

1. The people who attend are rich assholes. They are not going to post about their experiences or share quest solutions on the Internet - they want to keep things exclusive.

2. The guests don't seem to have cell phones or any future magicscience equivalent with them. So they can't Tweet or anything from inside the park. It's also park policy that the only pictures you can take inside it are those made by host photographers, and, presumably, you only get a physical copy. We don't yet know about paper notebooks - if they exist at all, if the people can write by hand. But even if paper journals do exist, the means of recording experiences seem to be limited to the actual mid-1800s technology (as well as memory, of course). So, on the level of less concrete spoilers and more vague memories.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

It's stated many times in the show that the guests are all rich. They're all one-percenters. In the movie, the cost of Westworld is $1000 a night. While it hasn't been stated in the show, we can imagine that it's being priced at more-than-a-premium in the show too. This is exactly the kind of experiental poo poo that the ultra-rich would be willing to blow money on; I once heard a horrifying story of a friend who, in Thailand, was shown a rocket launcher in the back of a car boot with the offer to blow up a living cow for $300. He didn't take up the offer, but we can imagine that there are freaks out there who would.
I grew up on a farm. It's me, I'm that monster who'd love to blow a cow the gently caress up. I'd prefer a large hog, but whatever..

Also your friend's probably full of poo poo because that poo poo was all over youtube a few years back. Also what kind of non-pedophile vacays in Thailand? :crossarms:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

VendaGoat posted:

40K/night for standard expenses to 200K/night for a gold package.

It's cannon on the westworld site.

Plus whatever the MiB is paying, which I imagine is more. He seems to be playing at a level that, as stated in show and on the website is more a "VIP" than any other guest. He's been coming there so long that the people in charge are letting him do what he wants and at the same time ignoring him as he is going on a personal quest to break the game and get to the "highest level." I wonder if the 4 week at a time restriction even applies to him anymore? I also would be interested to see if Ford even knows what he's doing, since only Ford perhaps might know about this Maze.

Another question--if there's some higher/deeper level to the game, a Maze with more hosts and stuff, why do they even bother to maintain it if in 30 years nobody has used it? Do the current scriptwriters, programmers, and maintenance people even know about it, and if not, who runs it? Or is it self running, with AI computers and robots that are developing themselves? :tinfoil:

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Re watched ep 2 for literally the 6th or 7th time and Im operating under the assumption that william is the Man in Black and Jimmi Simpsons scenes are 30 years prior, but those robots greeting him were sentient, and are never seen in anything but the flash backs. In fact, the present storyline, any sublevel we've seen has looked like it's been basically destroyed or run down: Could that have had something to do with the critical failure?

Also the way the show is described on cable guide says the show "explores the evolution of sin" so I assume that new quest of Fords ties in directly with that, but in which way?

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

Plus whatever the MiB is paying, which I imagine is more. He seems to be playing at a level that, as stated in show and on the website is more a "VIP" than any other guest. He's been coming there so long that the people in charge are letting him do what he wants and at the same time ignoring him as he is going on a personal quest to break the game and get to the "highest level." I wonder if the 4 week at a time restriction even applies to him anymore? I also would be interested to see if Ford even knows what he's doing, since only Ford perhaps might know about this Maze.

Another question--if there's some higher/deeper level to the game, a Maze with more hosts and stuff, why do they even bother to maintain it if in 30 years nobody has used it? Do the current scriptwriters, programmers, and maintenance people even know about it, and if not, who runs it? Or is it self running, with AI computers and robots that are developing themselves? :tinfoil:

You may be thinking too literally about the maze and I would bet my life that the reason the mib "gets what he wants" is something far more consequential than "he spent a lot of money here over the years."

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Yeah I've heard a theory that MiB was somehow involved whatever "critical failure" happened about 30 years ago. Something bad probably happened to him and he's playing for free and with vip status because of it. I think the number of times that he mentions he's been coming to Westworld for 30 years is supposed to clue us into that.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Paulocaust posted:

Re watched ep 2 for literally the 6th or 7th time and Im operating under the assumption that william is the Man in Black and Jimmi Simpsons scenes are 30 years prior, but those robots greeting him were sentient, and are never seen in anything but the flash backs. In fact, the present storyline, any sublevel we've seen has looked like it's been basically destroyed or run down: Could that have had something to do with the critical failure?

Also the way the show is described on cable guide says the show "explores the evolution of sin" so I assume that new quest of Fords ties in directly with that, but in which way?

I went back to check the abandoned section scene from the first episode and compare it to when we're introduced to Will because it kept bugging me. Stylistically they are very similar, but they're different lobbies. That said, the Ep 2 lobby wasn't as nice and open. Also, the episode beginning with Delores being told to remember has made it so I cannot dismiss the theory...

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If the different timelines theory is true i think Delorean is the key to all. Maybe "the wake up" sequence is the clue for what timeline is it.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Also I don't know if anyone caught this, but if you watch the light on the door of the train when William walks in; the traincar is actually an elevator. It goes up to pick up his buddy Ben, and then again goes up to I assume what is the surface, and hooks onto the track/rest of the train.

E: I know I'm spitballing lots today but another thing I had wondered about; when Lowe is talking to Delores in the one scene where she's clothed, is this inside the park? Any time we see hosts in the command centre; they're naked, but this meeting is explicitly secretive and Lowe is wearing similar clothes to when he had to hike the park with Ford. Is he secretly going into the park for meetings with Delores? Is he trying to wake her up? I mean, the narration he gives during the first portion of episode 1 he's literally telling her she's a robot and the guests pay to do whatever they want to the hosts as a way of pleasure.

Paulocaust fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 16, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Paulocaust posted:

Also I don't know if anyone caught this, but if you watch the light on the door of the train when William walks in; the traincar is actually an elevator. It goes up to pick up his buddy Ben, and then again goes up to I assume what is the surface, and hooks onto the track/rest of the train.
I think that may be a nod to the movie, because they start in a traincar which suddenly holographically vanishes and leaves them in a saloon or something iirc.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Jokes on all of you. The price tag reflects hyperinflation. Real rich people vacation in full VR, fly around like superheroes and bang aliens. WestWorld is the future equivalent of a dilapidated mini golf course in Myrtle Beach that you visit because you get a half-off coupon at the Denny's on the Interstate. You can probably gently caress that attendant too.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Jokes on all of you. The price tag reflects hyperinflation. Real rich people vacation in full VR, fly around like superheroes and bang aliens. WestWorld is the future equivalent of a dilapidated mini golf course in Myrtle Beach that you visit because you get a half-off coupon at the Denny's on the Interstate. You can probably gently caress that attendant too.

hell yeah now I can identify with the characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The different timelines thing is interesting, and is definitely right up Nolan's alley. I'm not sure that I buy into it yet, but it's something to watch for.

Normally on a show like this I'd be virtually positive that one of the human characters we see every week has been a robot the whole time, but I think for once that they're not going to play that card.

• Locked thread