Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

MrLonghair posted:

Trails of Steel (1) is on a 48% sale on the EU store until the 20th but I am not sure about it

This game is the bomb and if you have the patience for a slow burn JRPG, it's the best of its type. Very fun to figure out how to break the battle system for when you play the game on the hardest difficulty, amazing NPCs, lore, music, loved everything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Definitely get Cold Steel.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

cold steel is a great game but yea it won't exactly have you on the edge of your seat

I love cold steel 2 so far but I'm still in like the third area or something gaius' hometown, the plains where you ride a horse because I only play for a little bit at a time. the first game took me like 3 months to beat, not because it was that long but because I only played it occasionally

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Can I play P5 on my vita yet wtf

Also playing through P4G again

There is a library???? What
Also who is the Jester link I have 0 jester personas

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

adachi, you will never play P5 on vita

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
You are never playing P5 on a Vita.

Maybe an NX port down the line or a PC version. Maybe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

verbal enema posted:

Can I play P5 on my vita yet wtf

Also playing through P4G again

There is a library???? What
Also who is the Jester link I have 0 jester personas

The Jester link is Adachi.

The earliest one you can get is Gurr at level 20.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Monpiece in the Vita Flash Sale this weekend :getin:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

adachi, you will never play P5 on vita

remote play

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cake Attack posted:

you will never play P5 on vita

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So the vita is officially dead? To the point they don't even make the crazy expensive and inflexible proprietary memory cards? Dang.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Calaveron posted:

So the vita is officially dead? To the point they don't even make the crazy expensive and inflexible proprietary memory cards? Dang.

:rip: the Vita

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

It's complicated.

In Europe and North America, the system has sold out or have not been restocked (some for a year now.) There are third party sellers still with some available but buying one new with a one year warranty is impossible. Memory cards are in the same boat. Plenty of third parties but otherwise no new cards in stock.

The only official discontinuation so far has been the Playstation TV, which was only figured out when someone checked the Japanese page and saw "Shipment Concluded." News outlets had to reach out to Sony to learn of the worldwide discontinuation. There was a commercial for two new Vita colors during the Tokyo Game Show presentation and one full game shown off that was Vita exclusive. Also, a number of recent Vita releases were delayed with multiple places saying there was a delay in manufacturing, which makes me think they shut down a manufacturing facility.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This may have been brought up before but anyone got any thoughts on the vita version of dragon quest builders? It seems like the sort of thing i'd prefer on a handheld even if it's a step down from the ps3/4. That said, is the port servicable or is ps4 the only way to go?

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
It's good. I haven't tried the ps4 version so idk how much better it is, but DQB vita is a good game. Try the demo

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

today i bought some compressed air and tried to remedy the issue with my left stick ghost-pressing up. now it only does it a third as much. my stupid anime handheld will live forever.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Is Yomawari going to be good? It's the only thing other than Dragon Quest Builders and World of Final Fantasy that looks legitimately interesting on Vita to me this fall.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

zenintrude posted:

Is Yomawari going to be good? It's the only thing other than Dragon Quest Builders and World of Final Fantasy that looks legitimately interesting on Vita to me this fall.

Is that a JPN only game or will it see an English release at some stage?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Odette posted:

Is that a JPN only game or will it see an English release at some stage?

it's coming out in english in ten days

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is the Vita Shiren good? Any fun gameplay additions since the DS one?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

SelenicMartian posted:

Is the Vita Shiren good? Any fun gameplay additions since the DS one?

It is good, but I haven't played the DS one for comparison.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I'm enjoying DQB on the vita. It's bright, clean looking, the interface works, there's lots of quality of life features, and seems well programmed; no loading pauses or other technical stupidity getting in the way.

Game design wise, I like the idea of "minecraft with goals and structure, but you can also sandbox it as much as you want."

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Trails of Cold Steel is startlingly good. Its qualities have surprised me, the writing and events have surprised me, would not be surprised if it has ex-Atelier Ayesha staff on it. Got great QOL, respects the player, it's super-interesting in every detail, it was created by people who respected the work they did. The combat is the greatest turn-based system that I have played, super enjoyable, everything in general simply clicks with me, more than P4(G) ever did.

This cheap little PSTV's a helluva JRPG machine to last well into 2017. Now if only they could patch PSTV compatibility into DQB.

e: and I wish I knew all the world story up until Cold Steel 1. Any good synopsis site I can dive into for a few hours of reading?

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 16, 2016

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

MrLonghair posted:

and I wish I knew all the world story up until Cold Steel 1. Any good synopsis site I can dive into for a few hours of reading?

There's an actual library in campus -- the top floor covers the story of the different countries and whatnot. However, the right answer would have been to play both parts of Trails in the Sky, its predecessor, but it's fine because Cold Steel was made exactly for newcomers so just go along with it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

cold steel is pretty beginner friendly as far as re-establishing stuff, it'd probably be a better experience to just let it do that then read a dry text summary. also theres an ingame library that explains stuff on campus

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MrLonghair posted:

e: and I wish I knew all the world story up until Cold Steel 1. Any good synopsis site I can dive into for a few hours of reading?

You don't really need to know anything at all from the earlier Trails games, but a handful of the NPCs might have more of an impact if you've played them.

I thought CS1 was pretty decent and CS2 was hugely better, so look forward to that.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

MrLonghair posted:

Trails of Cold Steel is startlingly good. Its qualities have surprised me, the writing and events have surprised me, would not be surprised if it has ex-Atelier Ayesha staff on it. Got great QOL, respects the player, it's super-interesting in every detail, it was created by people who respected the work they did. The combat is the greatest turn-based system that I have played, super enjoyable, everything in general simply clicks with me, more than P4(G) ever did.

This cheap little PSTV's a helluva JRPG machine to last well into 2017. Now if only they could patch PSTV compatibility into DQB.

To add what the others have said, you can pick up the first two Trails in the Sky on PC and PSP, with the 3rd game coming out in English on PC early next year. They're a bit slower paced, but if you enjoyed the writing, events and world building of Cold Steel then you'll probably love Trails as it's set in Liberl, which is a neighboring country of Erebonia about 2 years before the events of Cold Steel.

There's also the two games set in Crossbell and their stories happen parallel to Cold Steel 1 and 2, but they haven't been released in English yet and the sales of Trails in the Sky 3rd and Cold Steel 2 will probably dictate if those ever come over or not.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

World of Final Fantasy is confirmed to require 3.61 :(

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Photex posted:

World of Final Fantasy is confirmed to require 3.61 :(

That's just the digital version, the physical version might not have it.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I know this has been asked 100x before, but: I want to get a version of Final Fantasy Tactics on my Vita. Do I want WotL, or the PS1 classic version?

Or do I say gently caress it and get Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together instead?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Tactics Ogre.

I don't think slowdown in WotL is as bad as a lot of people make it out to be, but you can check a comparison video on youtube or something to see for yourself.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Armor-Piercing posted:

Tactics Ogre.

I don't think slowdown in WotL is as bad as a lot of people make it out to be, but you can check a comparison video on youtube or something to see for yourself.

yea this

tactics ogre's a really really cool game

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Cool. Also, how is Grand Kingdom?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Is GOD EATER: Resurrection something I should get involved with if I didn't enjoy Freedom Wars?

I really like PSO games and find MH games to be OK.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

zenintrude posted:

Is GOD EATER: Resurrection something I should get involved with if I didn't enjoy Freedom Wars?

No, get Soul Sacrifice Delta instead

(I have not played God Eater)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

zenintrude posted:

Depends on what you didn't enjoy about Freedom Wars. God Eater doesn't have RNG bullshit in its crafting and the story mode doesn't make you walk around a pointlessly huge base all the time, which I thought were FW's biggest drawbacks. It's still anime fightmen vs. big angry monsters.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Really Pants posted:

Depends on what you didn't enjoy about Freedom Wars.

From what I recall it was clunky menus/progression system, questionable controls, and generally/obtuse boring story chunks.

I didn't get far into it since it felt like I was going to be stuck in a boring tutorial for a boring game for a while.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Freedom Wars is Lost Planet 3, not a Monster Hunter game.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The only thing I haven't dug about 6h30m of Trails of Cold Steel has been NPC proximity overlap issues when trying to start a conversation a couple of times. Everything else is up there solid. Wish all those websites complaining about no JRPGs or good games being around could give attention to games like these.

Game delivers on all points I need, saw that some characters get more showing in the sequel than here and that's alright. Learned a few things about it ahead of buying it and it feels all okay, even though I'm still in what's supposed to be the slow painful start of the game. It's my jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

burger time posted:

Cool. Also, how is Grand Kingdom?

Kinda flash gamey. Low on plot, high on grind, high on little button-pressing minigames to get the best benefit for your skills, but pretty cute overall. The online component is probably already dead. There's a fairly good demo iirc.