Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I finished everything today and now I'm sad. I hope their next game is even half as engaging as The Witcher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I played this for a while when it came out and got to Novigrad (I think I was looking for Dandelion?) and stopped for some reason and never played again .... reinstalled today and decided to just start a fresh save and I'm really getting into it.... also I never touched Gwent the first time around but now it's starting to click for me and it's great. The interface improvements they patched in with the inventory and stuff are a godsend too because that poo poo was miserable at launch.

Oh yeah is there any reason to buy the DLC now or should I just wait until endgame? I know the second expansion takes place in a totally new location but I think I remember hearing that the first one is mostly stuff in Novigrad; is it like Souls or Bloodborne where it gets integrated into the main story or is it its own thing that I won't be messing with until the end of the campaign?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

goferchan posted:

I played this for a while when it came out and got to Novigrad (I think I was looking for Dandelion?) and stopped for some reason and never played again .... reinstalled today and decided to just start a fresh save and I'm really getting into it.... also I never touched Gwent the first time around but now it's starting to click for me and it's great. The interface improvements they patched in with the inventory and stuff are a godsend too because that poo poo was miserable at launch.

Oh yeah is there any reason to buy the DLC now or should I just wait until endgame? I know the second expansion takes place in a totally new location but I think I remember hearing that the first one is mostly stuff in Novigrad; is it like Souls or Bloodborne where it gets integrated into the main story or is it its own thing that I won't be messing with until the end of the campaign?
nah wait until the end. The second expansion is 99% officially set after the main story and the first one is, uh, whenever, but imo still makes more sense played afterwards

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

nah wait until the end. The second expansion is 99% officially set after the main story and the first one is, uh, whenever, but imo still makes more sense played afterwards

Yeah, I agree - I think other people say that they always play HoS during the main story, but I think it's better to be left until afterwards, when you aren't also dealing with a heap of other poo poo like getting Dandelion out of yet another mess. (Plus it allows you to focus entirely on the HoS story, and I think it's better that way, rather than splitting it with the main plot)
Otherwise yeah, BaW is definitely after the main story and HoS, as it paves the way for Geralt's eventual retirement.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

cool, thank you for the heads up. is there anything cool/missable in white orchard that i need to do before killing the griffin? iirc i'm pretty sure you can come back afterwards, i just don't remember if beating the boss locks you out of any side quests

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

goferchan posted:

cool, thank you for the heads up. is there anything cool/missable in white orchard that i need to do before killing the griffin? iirc i'm pretty sure you can come back afterwards, i just don't remember if beating the boss locks you out of any side quests

Killing the griffin doesn't lock you out of anything. The trigger for leaving White Orchard is speaking to Vesemir in the inn after going to the Nilfgaardian garrison for a reward.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lol I love what a big dope Geralt is... the convo with the hunter who's implying he's gay where Geralt thinks he's talking about being a werewolf is really funny

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
the most important gameplay tip is to ALWAYS let Geralt get as hammered as possible, especially if one of the magic girlfriends is like "seriously don't get as hammered as possible, Geralt."

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

goferchan posted:

Lol I love what a big dope Geralt is... the convo with the hunter who's implying he's gay where Geralt thinks he's talking about being a werewolf is really funny

geralt is hank hill with two swords

Steve Shultz
Jul 6, 2007
The ELIJAH LIST, spamming your inbox for the lord.
The section where you can turn down sex in favor of getting way too drunk with your buddies, and then dress up as a lady and magically prank call sorceresses so they will come and party with you is the best part of any game ever made.
Geralt's voice actor does fantastically in all of the weird situations he gets forced into.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Pam Pam Peram, Pam paam perrramm

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

Steve Shultz posted:

The section where you can turn down sex in favor of getting way too drunk with your buddies, and then dress up as a lady and magically prank call sorceresses so they will come and party with you is the best part of any game ever made.
Geralt's voice actor does fantastically in all of the weird situations he gets forced into.

If you're with old timee college bros and some magical ex girlfriend is like "yo don't get TOO hammered I wanna bone" and you DON'T turn down the vague sex possibility to remember old times then I don't know what the gently caress is wrong with you

now replace "old timee college bros" with "grew up as forsaken orphans who were like 1 of 400 babies badass enough to not just totally die from pain when the most poison as gently caress posion got mainlined into your baby rear end veins just to see, even knowing that you are a literal baby, if you were a bad enough dude to be a PROTAGONIST in this Witcher poo poo."

If you mediate on this post pretty hard, then you will BEGIN to understand why Geralt needs to get REALLY hammered with his friends at all costs.

A Tasteful Nude fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 15, 2016

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I made it to skillege and it good again

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

tumor looking batty posted:

I made it to skillege and it good again

make sure to fist fight everyone on both coasts

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Skellige Fist Of Steel quest is awesome

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
i got a new gaming rig together so i can finally play this + other good aaa games (though i cant think of any at the moment) at a good framerate

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

This game is so freaking good ... i was worried about getting burnt out replaying all the Velen stuff but honestly most of the side quests I'm doing are ones I didn't even know existed my first time through.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I have no idea wtf to do with my skills beyond upgrading quen and basic attack stuff .... the whole alchemy tree is a little overwhelming , should i be loving with that?

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

goferchan posted:

I have no idea wtf to do with my skills beyond upgrading quen and basic attack stuff .... the whole alchemy tree is a little overwhelming , should i be loving with that?

The one that increases your toxicity cap depending on how many recipes you know is great if you keep up with it. Alchemy is prolly the funnest tree but it's also the most effort.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I haven't touched alchemy at all. I put points into all the fast attacks and quen, axii and yrden plus the stuff that gives you a boost if you wear feline stuff

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

yeah, "potions are a little better" isnt as tempting as "you now have a flamethrower"

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

yeah apparently alchemy is gamebreakingly good at higher levels but the descriptions of all the skills were a bit too abstract for me to bother with lol

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

A lot of it hinges on the Blood and Wine mutation that gives you .75% extra damage per point of toxicity, so you raise your cap super high, chug a grab bag of decoctions and pwn everything in sight.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Should I do a replay in NG+ or is it better to start a new game?

I'm wondering if its significantly harder as in it's not just vanilla enemies with more hp.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

its the same game but everything is leveled up

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Plebian Parasite posted:

A lot of it hinges on the Blood and Wine mutation that gives you .75% extra damage per point of toxicity, so you raise your cap super high, chug a grab bag of decoctions and pwn everything in sight.

The B&W mutations are game breaking and insanely fun. Do they carry over for NG+?

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

Why does the voice actor for vesemir sound so similar to the Bard, Dandelion. For the first 25 hours I thought they were the same person and was like, oh cool this guy is my buddy and will write about me but then, oh well

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

witcher 3 is so good its basically amazing

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I haven't touched alchemy at all. I put points into all the fast attacks and quen, axii and yrden plus the stuff that gives you a boost if you wear feline stuff

the one that extends your breath under water, white whale i think, is fairly useful with a few quests, but its kind of late game content iirc

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

julian assflange posted:

The B&W mutations are game breaking and insanely fun. Do they carry over for NG+?

I love how they made a mutation that was literally "all of your sword attacks dismember or trigger finishing moves"

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene

julian assflange posted:

Pam Pam Peram, Pam paam perrramm

The remix of this is surprisingly good

https://youtu.be/mEhhuyjq2Yo

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dilbert Fanclub President posted:

hahah

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dilbert Fanclub President posted:

lol serious effort there

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

are there consequences for letting vigi the loon die?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

are there consequences for letting vigi the loon die?

Pretty sure he just doesn't show up to help Geralt at a certain point later on with the others, but he's more of an extra than anything, in the story segment I'm referring to. So no, not really, from what I recall.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The play questline in Novigrad is really funny. Definitely making an effort here to put on the worst show possible like some hosed up bastardization of the FF6 opera scene

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Our story must end, and the moral is this.... show love for the dopplers, as well as.... for fish?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I found the quest variety in witcher 3 to be better than pretty much every other RPG I've ever played

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I found the quest variety in witcher 3 to be better than pretty much every other RPG I've ever played

yep. very little of the go to location -> kill guys -> go to location -> collect reward crutch thats become so prevelent in rpgs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
man Witcher 3 pwns.

• Locked thread