Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

It's funny, I feel like a big dumb helpless baby whenever I ask for advice (which is often) but usually just typing up a post helps me work through whatever the decision is I need to make. Then I feel stupid for having asked to begin with.

Fantasy football. Cool snype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Need help with a person Im discussing a trade with:

My Team:

His Team:

He started off the discussion for M. Gordon.

My response would be that would cost D. Hopkins + more.

My ultimate goal would be to move for G. Olsen.

Is there anyway I can flip this to be a fair trade in the lines of something like

My: M. Gordon / Jeffrey / Parker?
His: Hopkins(Or Bryant) / Olsen?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
In case anybody was curious, I will be starting Jamaal Charles in every league that I own him because I am a man of conviction, and if he's bad now then I will be going down with this ship. I'm not necessarily advising other folks to do the same or anything, I just wanted to say that I am putting my money where my mouth is. Charles has been a hall-of-fame talent so far in his career, and I will be really sad if this second ACL robbed him of that.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

OxySnake posted:

Need help with a person Im discussing a trade with:

My Team:

His Team:

He started off the discussion for M. Gordon.

My response would be that would cost D. Hopkins + more.

My ultimate goal would be to move for G. Olsen.

Is there anyway I can flip this to be a fair trade in the lines of something like

My: M. Gordon / Jeffrey / Parker?
His: Hopkins(Or Bryant) / Olsen?

I don't see any reason for him to trade Olsen. Who is on the wire that could replace him? If you really want Olsen, why not an Ertz+ deal? Melvin + Ertz might be a slight overpay, but I'm skeptical Melvin continues piling up touchdowns and then he just turns into a lovely 3.something ypc RB. That'd leave you with Gio and McKinnon to share RB2 duties and plenty of good WR flexes, so seems fine to me if you really want Olsen.

On the other hand, he has some really lovely guys on his team so probably doesn't give much of a poo poo, so try whatever.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Forever_Peace posted:

In case anybody was curious, I will be starting Jamaal Charles in every league that I own him because I am a man of conviction, and if he's bad now then I will be going down with this ship. I'm not necessarily advising other folks to do the same or anything, I just wanted to say that I am putting my money where my mouth is. Charles has been a hall-of-fame talent so far in his career, and I will be really sad if this second ACL robbed him of that.

Well, I'm not really worried about him per se, just slightly worried about his workload. Doesn't Reid have the well-deserved reputation of not using Charles as much as literally everyone else thinks he should be used? Add in some rust for Charles and shine from Ware and I'd at least be a bit nervous.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

RVProfootballer posted:

I don't see any reason for him to trade Olsen. Who is on the wire that could replace him? If you really want Olsen, why not an Ertz+ deal? Melvin + Ertz might be a slight overpay, but I'm skeptical Melvin continues piling up touchdowns and then he just turns into a lovely 3.something ypc RB. That'd leave you with Gio and McKinnon to share RB2 duties and plenty of good WR flexes, so seems fine to me if you really want Olsen.

On the other hand, he has some really lovely guys on his team so probably doesn't give much of a poo poo, so try whatever.

Whoops I meant that Trade to be Gordon / Jeffery / Ertz

I had a brain fart.

Gordon + Ertz would be a good place to end, I will have to think about it.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Well, I'm not really worried about him per se, just slightly worried about his workload. Doesn't Reid have the well-deserved reputation of not using Charles as much as literally everyone else thinks he should be used? Add in some rust for Charles and shine from Ware and I'd at least be a bit nervous.

His average usage since the first ACL (mostly in the Reid era) is about 16 carries and 3.25 receptions per game. If he gets maybe 75% of his normal load (i.e. 12 carries, a few catches, and a red zone look or two), I'm hopeful he can put up acceptable numbers against a good matchup coming off a bye.

But like I said, this isn't really about a deliberative process. I was the JCharles hype guy here so I will be starting him in every league as a matter of principle. Wish me luck!

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Sammie Coates also has a broken finger apparentl and Wheaton out, fire up Eli Rogers in PPR?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

VietCampo posted:

Sammie Coates also has a broken finger apparentl and Wheaton out, fire up Eli Rogers in PPR?

Sounds like Coates is still likely to play, though, I thought

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Forever_Peace posted:

I admire your conviction but am scared of the walrus. I'm also placing a lot of faith into the pattern of slowness they've shown with him all season.

My .5 ppr team 1:
RB Demarco
RB Howard
Flex: Cooks
BE: Jamaal
BE: Crowell
BE: Ware

My 1ppr team 2:
RB: Gio
RB: Crowell
Flex: Beasley
BE: Jamaal
BE: Ware
BE: Dixon

I'm ok with the first situation. I can be talked out of the second.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Charles over Beasley, imo. I guess Beasley has a slightly higher floor, but not by much, and way less upside.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Allen Robinson becomes mine in about 50 minutes, so which one goes to the bench? 1 PPR 3WR League

Amari Cooper vs KC
Terrelle Pryor @Ten
Quincy Enunwa @Ari
Cole Beasley @GB

My gut says either Pryor or Enunwa.

I'm also considering picking Bilal Powell back up, since I'll have a bench spot available. Is he worth starting over one of these WR in my Flex?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Brownhat posted:

Allen Robinson becomes mine in about 50 minutes, so which one goes to the bench? 1 PPR 3WR League

Amari Cooper vs KC
Terrelle Pryor @Ten
Quincy Enunwa @Ari
Cole Beasley @GB

My gut says either Pryor or Enunwa.

I'm also considering picking Bilal Powell back up, since I'll have a bench spot available. Is he worth starting over one of these WR in my Flex?

Enunwa so you don't miss Pryor QB Hilarity Points.*

*not guaranteed to happen.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

Rotoworld posted:

Bears coach John Fox implied he does not think Alshon Jeffery needs more targets.
"From a production standpoint, to say that we're not getting him the ball is a little bit off," Fox said. "I think he has been what I would consider — I think our opponents do too — pretty productive." The first step to fixing a problem is admitting one exists, and neither Fox nor QB Brian Hoyer was willing to do so this week. Fox even went as far to say Jeffery has just three fewer catches than Eddie Royal and Zach Miller, as if the clear No. 1 receiver having "just three" fewer catches than a slot guy and tight end is acceptable. Jeffery still has five fewer targets than Kevin White, who has been on injured reserve for a week. Fox admitted earlier this week he does not have a plan to deal with the quarterback situation, and it is becoming clear that philosophy applies to the rest of the offense as well.
I am so happy I gave up on Alshon two weeks ago and used him to acquire Doug Martin. What a frustrating player/situation.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Yes, but they're 1-4, so obviously should probably make some changes to their game plan. !maybe involving your best receiver would help!

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
You know, I'm thankful for my WRs and TEs I ended up with in my drafts. But drat did I whiff on my RBs. Rawls, Hill, Stewart, Jennings, possibly Jamaal (prob not), dropping Christine Michael in every single one of my leagues when Rawls came back. Avoiding DeMarco Murray like a plague.

I need a RB Waiver Wire Miracle.

AND I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE DRAFTED LEVEON BELL.

89 posted:

I am getting close to the idea that LeVeon Bell needs to be my first pick. His injury was a freak thing. He's 24 years old. Take his production and DeAngelo's production and roughly combine them and you get his same exact monster season from the year before with NOBODY in close contention except for Antonio Brown. Not to mention, the first month of fantasy is the easiest to suffer without your top pick. With 4 less games under LeVeon's belt from the suspension, that means he's healthier and doesn't wear down as easily as the rest of the RBs. Thus lowering the risk of injury significantly along with giving yet another month of recovery from his injury last year. He IS the number one RB. He was before this suspension. Still is. It's a gift that his ADP has slipped so far.

I'm thinking either LeVeon and Lamar. Or LeVeon and Marshall.

89 posted:

Michael Phelps smokes pot. LeVeon Bell smokes pot.

I like it :downs:

89 posted:

Realistically, I'm not that worried and I'd still take him. But I'm pretty much convinced Bell will be my first pick.

Hell, last year he was still a top 3/top 5 pick with the same suspension. My only thought is Lamar/Charles vs. Brandon Marshall in that....there's a 30% chance that a top round RB gets a serious injury vs. a top round WR (#rotoviz)

I did not draft LeVeon Bell.

I drafted Jamaal Charles instead. No choice other than going balls deep into Jamaal Charles now.

89 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 15, 2016

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

89 posted:

You know, I'm thankful for my WRs and TEs I ended up with in my drafts. But drat did I whiff on my RBs. Rawls, Hill, Stewart, Jennings, possibly Jamaal (prob not), dropping Christine Michael in every single one of my leagues when Rawls came back. Avoiding DeMarco Murray like a plague.

I need a RB Waiver Wire Miracle.

AND I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE DRAFTED LEVEON BELL.

I did not draft LeVeon Bell.

I drafted Jamaal Charles instead. No choice other than going balls deep into Jamaal Charles now.

Bell was my first round pick. :smug:

I'm 2-3. :negative:

Seriously though, I figured I could survive 3 games without him and I went 2-1 those weeks. Might be better if I could stop smacking into Highest Scoring Team of the Week.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Would you trade Gore & Delanie Walker for Doug Martin? Walker is on my bench (Gronk) and that would mean I play Forte this week over Gore.

How high are we on buying low for Doug Martin exactly?

Cause if Jacquuizz in my pants is getting 30 carries, I feel pretty good about Dougie Fart.

89 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 15, 2016

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Quiet Feet posted:

Bell was my first round pick. :smug:

Demarco Murray was my 8th round pick.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

89 posted:

Would you trade Gore & Delanie Walker for Doug Martin? Walker is on my bench (Gronk) and that would mean I play Forte this week over Gore.

Cause if Jacquuizz in my pants is getting 30 carries, I feel pretty good about Dougie Fart.

gently caress no. Gore owns and will survive the heat death of the universe.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

89 posted:

Gore/Walker is a tough price to pay but sounds about market value to me. I'm really high on Doug Martin with Charles Sims out now. If he returns after the bye, his first four games are @SF, ATL, OAK, and CHI. He'll have RB1 volume and match-ups to feast on. And his playoff match-ups in Weeks 14-16 are NO, @DAL, @NO. He has league-winning potential, imo.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Can someone explain handcuffing to me? Fantasy noob here.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

RVProfootballer posted:

Sounds like Coates is still likely to play, though, I thought

Coates is now expected to sit out tomorrow, I'm replacing him with Eli Rogers in one of my line ups.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

bows1 posted:

There is a RB that takes most of the work. If he gets hurt you have his backup who will take most of the work.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

bows1 posted:

If you've got an injury/stupid prone bellcow player you've got a candidate for a backup who will take their entire workload when something happens. The caveat is the backup needs to be good or you end up with a committee situation.

Leveon Bell and DeAngelo Williams are the perfect example. Bell is stupid prone and DeAngelo is good enough he can take the entire workload should Bell be stupid.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
poo poo. Dude is down for Martin for my Gore & Walker.

Guyyyyyyssssss, I'm really partial to Gore, but what do I dooooo

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

bows1 posted:

Handcuffing is basically risk mitigation. You stash players (typically RBs but occasionally WRs) with an upside that is dependent on another player not being able to play (typically through injury). The viability of this approach depends on a few factors, most notably the skill of the replacing player. It's not a perfect strategy as many handcuff situations are uncertain and lead to either another player being the handcuff or a committee that benefits nobody. Whether or not a potential handcuff should be stashed depends on a variety of factors:

- How likely it is that the leading player will get hurt.
- How likely the coach is to rely on a committee.
- How likely that a replacement player will actually be the one to take on the new load.
- How valuable a given team is for running backs and fantasy scoring.

The posts ahead of me gave Le'Veon Bell and DeAngelo Williams as a perfect example, because we've already seen what Williams can do when Bell is out. Other clear cut examples include the Titans with DeMarco Murray and Derrick Henry, the Bills with LeSean McCoy and Mike Gillislee, the Jets with Matt Forte and Bilal Powell, and Kansas City with Jamaal Charles and Spencer Ware. There are also situations where a RBBC (running back by committee) would turn into a bell-cow situation with an injury; Cincinnati with Giovani Bernard and Jeremy Hill and the Atlanta Falcons with Tevin Coleman and Devonta Freeman come to mind. More risky handcuff situations that might pan out include Philadelphia with Ryan Matthews and Wendell Smallwood, Arizona with David Johnson and Andre Ellington, and Seattle with Christine Michael and Thomas Rawls.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Smallwood is probably the best handcuff not named Ware or Dtrain because no matter how much you argue "injury prone" isn't a thing, Ryan Mathews proves that it is.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
People argue that being prone to injuries isn't a thing?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

89 posted:

poo poo. Dude is down for Martin for my Gore & Walker.

Guyyyyyyssssss, I'm really partial to Gore, but what do I dooooo

Sorrrryyy but somebody talk me out of it.

Cause I'm about to do it.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Completing a trade is just as good as winning any championship! Do it!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

89 posted:

You could always, oh, I dunno, say no?

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

89 posted:

Martin will win leagues.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
It's cool guys, I got him to throw in LB Paul Poslunzky

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I like her standup, and she was awesome on Home Movies. Good trade

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

89 posted:

It's cool guys, I got him to throw in LB Paul Poslunzky

Why do you need him when you apparently are already getting vaunted Arizona LB Kareem Martin?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

internet inc posted:

People argue that being prone to injuries isn't a thing?

Me. It was a recurring theme a year or two ago here.

Basically, I think "injury prone" is overused, because all the things that are actually predictive of future injury (mostly biomechanics and physiology related) is not information we the fans have access to. What we have is injury history, which is more often than not a string of freak traumatic impacts because Football is a violent sort that makes EVERY player prone to injury. There are only a handful of specific injuries that demonstrably carry a cumulative and predictive risk of future injury (concussions being the primary example).

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Forever_Peace posted:

Basically, I think "injury prone" is overused, because all the things that are actually predictive of future injury (mostly biomechanics and physiology related) is not information we the fans have access to. What we have is injury history, which is more often than not a string of freak traumatic impacts because Football is a violent sort that makes EVERY player prone to injury. There are only a handful of specific injuries that demonstrably carry a cumulative and predictive risk of future injury (concussions being the primary example).

Too bad this can't be the thread name.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
I drafted AP, Jamaal, DT, Cooks, Demarco, Larry Fitz, Big Ben, Barnidge, Josh Gordon, Crowell.

Currently 2-3 but I like my team. I'm getting pummeled with 2nd most points-against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Forever_Peace posted:

Me. It was a recurring theme a year or two ago here.

I agree with all of this.

And also that some players are more prone to freak traumatic impacts than others.

• Locked thread