Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PerrineClostermann posted:

Allo isn't on desktop? What's the point?

It's basically equivalent to WhatsApp, which we didn't need or want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CLAM DOWN posted:

How can it be worse than hangouts? This baffles me

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

android users: PLEASE MAKE AN IMESSAGE CLONE

google: here have a whatsapp clone they're basically the same right

:negative:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Blue Train posted:

android users: PLEASE MAKE AN IMESSAGE CLONE

google: here have a whatsapp clone they're basically the same right

:negative:

Unironically this is exactly what happened

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Allo isn't on desktop? What's the point?

E: apparently it doesn't even do proper sms. What the hell.

"We want our messaging apps to be popular in India so we have to need them to have a low barrier to entry."

"OK, so you're making the rich feature set stuff optional once you tie your google account to it?"

"..."

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

WhatsApp has web and desktop clients and has for years. Allo is objectively worse than every other major messaging platform (including hangouts). Its only perk is assistant, which... you'll be able to get without Allo soon.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yes that's correct, I accidentally left out "but a lot worse" than Whatapp when describing it, sorry

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Seriously, I have an iPhone 6S+ and would be stoked to switch to a one+3 and cricket if freaking iMessages could come with it. So. Annoying.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

LionArcher posted:

Seriously, I have an iPhone 6S+ and would be stoked to switch to a one+3 and cricket if freaking iMessages could come with it. So. Annoying.

iMessage itself won't ever come to Android, buddy.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
What's the point of the 32 gb vs the 128gb if there's unlimited photo/video storage?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

What's the point of the 32 gb vs the 128gb if there's unlimited photo/video storage?

Because you can't trust your LTE connection to stream or transfer reliably from one-bar areas. 128GB will hold a fair amount of 4K-quality footage, while 32GB is really pushing it. Local storage is always going to be smoother and more reliable.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 16, 2016

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Apps, games, cached data, random storage...

But my 32GB 6P has 12GB left, so I only bought the 32GB version.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Not to mention, there are some people out there like to capture high quality videos of their own through their smartphone, so bigger local storage is a must, especially if said people already have bunch of other media taken up storage space already.

ijii fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 16, 2016

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I can only assume the extra system partition on the Pixel will take up a good chunk of that 32gb, which was my main concern.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
Ok thread, since i have to exchange my note 7 what should I get? I'm thinking the latest htc, I loved every htc phone I've owned, or the s7 edge or note 5. Please no bully.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
It seems that the OP may be a little out of date regarding recommended phones. I have a Droid Turbo, and it's awesome, but it's like 2 years old. I see it listed in the OP -- is that purposeful?

I have a friend looking for a new phone. What's the latest and best Android phone out there right now?

Preferably one that's kinda sturdy (hard to break), waterproof/resistant, good specs, good radio (so you can actually use it to talk), etc.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

withoutclass posted:

I can only assume the extra system partition on the Pixel will take up a good chunk of that 32gb, which was my main concern.
Could be. Reddit (sorry) is saying 9.6GB used out of 119GB straight out of the box.
https://i.reddituploads.com/eb108422047443d1833306b722e026d9?fit=max&h=1536&w=1536&s=22c4045486e6fe55be05cb6d6ddd146c

Dahbadu posted:

It seems that the OP may be a little out of date regarding recommended phones. I have a Droid Turbo, and it's awesome, but it's like 2 years old. I see it listed in the OP -- is that purposeful?

I have a friend looking for a new phone. What's the latest and best Android phone out there right now?

Preferably one that's kinda sturdy (hard to break), waterproof/resistant, good specs, good radio (so you can actually use it to talk), etc.
Nexus 5X (order from fi.google.com) or Pixel/Pixel-XL (from fi or from google.com/store, in a week)

Not water resistant, but the best phones around right now.

beaner69 posted:

Ok thread, since i have to exchange my note 7 what should I get? I'm thinking the latest htc, I loved every htc phone I've owned, or the s7 edge or note 5. Please no bully.
Pixel.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 16, 2016

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

Ordered one last night. Stopped in at my Sprint store to make sure I could return my IED after I get the Pixel, which is going to be November 18th-21st.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
We will never need more than 128k32gb

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

nimper posted:

iMessage itself won't ever come to Android, buddy.

I know, I mean a work around for SMS and MMS to work with my MacBook Pro and my phone

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

ilkhan posted:

Could be. Reddit (sorry) is saying 9.6GB used out of 119GB straight out of the box.
https://i.reddituploads.com/eb108422047443d1833306b722e026d9?fit=max&h=1536&w=1536&s=22c4045486e6fe55be05cb6d6ddd146c

Nexus 5X (order from fi.google.com) or Pixel/Pixel-XL (from fi or from google.com/store, in a week)

Not water resistant, but the best phones around right now.

Pixel.

Thanks man. That's good info.

What do you think the best water resistant or water "proof" phone would be?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

What are people getting for screen protectors / cases for their pixels?

I just grabbed these, but they won't ship for a few more days if someone has a better suggestion. These are cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LEPYRG2
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LRMWHPA

Dahbadu posted:

Thanks man. That's good info.

What do you think the best water resistant or water "proof" phone would be?
S7/S7 edge, maybe? I think they are IP67. Its a "would be nice" feature for me, not a deal breaker. Maybe next year.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

So, what's the next best option in a similar price range when a Nexus 5X with Google warranty isn't available in your country? Because it seems like if you don't have access to Fi, you either can't get a 5X with any kind of warranty or at least any kind of decent warranty.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ilkhan posted:

I just grabbed these, but they won't ship for a few more days if someone has a better suggestion. These are cheap.

S7/S7 edge, maybe? I think they are IP67. Its a "would be nice" feature for me, not a deal breaker. Maybe next year.

None, I don't see a point in screen protectors. My phones never scratch without them.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

ilkhan posted:

Has there been any info on the glass quality for the Pixel? I mean whether it's gorilla glass or whatever it is.

Update:
Just found out its Gorilla Glass 4. Doubt screen protector will really be needed for it if it's anything like my Note 3 and S6 Edge had.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

We will never need more than 128k32gb

I know you're making a joke, but I've never needed more than 16GB on a phone. The cloud is a thing. What do you need 128GB for if not photos and videos? Apps don't need that much.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
I cannot understand the idea of blindly trusting in some gorilla glass number. With my Note 7 I left it in my pocket for a week and never dropped it and it eas covered in micro scratches. Just spend the 7 dollars on a decent screen protector and take care of your several hundred dollar device.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Moochewmoo posted:

I cannot understand the idea of blindly trusting in some gorilla glass number. With my Note 7 I left it in my pocket for a week and never dropped it and it eas covered in micro scratches. Just spend the 7 dollars on a decent screen protector and take care of your several hundred dollar device.

Counterpoint: Don't do that. Source: My never-scratched Nexuses going back to the Nexus One.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Taffer posted:

I know you're making a joke, but I've never needed more than 16GB on a phone. The cloud is a thing. What do you need 128GB for if not photos and videos? Apps don't need that much.

Just because you don't doesn't mean I don't. I usually store local copies of media for consumption, in case of bad connection or a desire not to max out my monthly limit for a single 2 hour movie. If you have a decent PSP library on your phone, then you'll run out of 16GB rather quickly.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Moochewmoo posted:

What the gently caress is in your pocket? I've kept ever smartphone I've ever had in a normal pocket with no screen protector and I've never gotten a visible mark.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

CLAM DOWN posted:

What the gently caress is in your pocket? I've kept ever smartphone I've ever had in a normal pocket with no screen protector and I've never gotten a visible mark.

A little sand will trash your screen.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

uPen posted:

A little sand will trash your screen.

Well sure, I don't live on a beach I guess

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Nothing to crazy to be honest. Maybe ear buds and pilot pens. But after looking it over there were tiny scuf marks all over the front of it that I'm sure most reasonable people wouldn't notice. My Note 3 is my back up phone that I've been using with out anything and it looks significantly better.

Edit: little dirt is abrasive enough as well I'm sure. Impossible to avoid in my area.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

media for consumption

Protip: Humans just say music or movies.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm not talking about just music and movies.

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 16, 2016

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
On a brand new phone it's very likely those micro scratches were on the oleophobic coating rather than on the glass itself.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

RZA Encryption posted:

Your ability to be a cranky jerk about absolutely everything is fascinating.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I'm not talking about just music and movies.

You consume food. You sound like an out of touch marketer when you use it to mean watching or reading or listening or whatever the gently caress.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

You consume food. You sound like an out of touch marketer when you use it to mean watching or reading or listening or whatever the gently caress.

Bro that's how the kids talk these days. Why don't you leave the anime fan or psp anime teen girl touching gamer alone.

Some dudes claiming on reddit that Verizon is starting to blacklist some Note7s. I wonder if they will outright ban them soon from being activated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RZA Encryption posted:

You sound like a pedant when you go off on semantics :shrug: