Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Halt and Catch Fire has really solid acting and stories. It would be doing a lot better if the name of the show wasn't so awkward. Also the posters and ads are really bad. The season 3 trailer quotes a site saying something like "gripping and consistently surprising." That's praise enough to put in a commercial?

Look at this poster. You guys are making chat rooms and video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yeah been binging through H&CF to the detriment of everything else recently. last I watched was the season 3 premiere. I don't think it's quite at prestige drama level yet, but the characters are real good for the most part (although I think the creators are a bit too enamoured with Cameron at times) and I hear only extremely positive things about s3.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/SPINmagazine/status/786935731168083968

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

And don't miss Kraft Punk

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Mu Zeta posted:

And don't miss Kraft Punk

Time to deliver a PIZZA BAAAAALLLLLLL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQzteyXbqNg

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I know Longmire seasons always end with cliffhangers, but I feel like that one ended an episode or two too soon.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Once I listened to a segment of an old, old mid-90s This American Life episode about Dark Shadows fandom where they had conventions and were making fan films and even hiring the original actors for them. It was weird as heck, especially since this was effectively pre-internet and it was so far outside of the normal sci-fi/fantasy niche.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lycus posted:

I know Longmire seasons always end with cliffhangers, but I feel like that one ended an episode or two too soon.

It's less that it ended on a cliffhanger, and more that it seemed like there wasn't a big payoff for the season. The next to last episode was pretty good, and felt like it was ramping up to something, and then the finale felt like a wet fart. Don't get me wrong, great season, great show, but that's the weakest finale so far in the show.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Guy Mann posted:

Once I listened to a segment of an old, old mid-90s This American Life episode about Dark Shadows fandom where they had conventions and were making fan films and even hiring the original actors for them. It was weird as heck, especially since this was effectively pre-internet and it was so far outside of the normal sci-fi/fantasy niche.

Star Trek has been doing this since the beginning

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Okay but he literally said it was weird because it was outside of the normal scifi/fantasy niche for that...

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

spooky like this! posted:

They've been trying to make a new Highlander movie for years but they just can't get it off the ground. Probably doesn't bode well for a TV show's chances.

The last Highlander movie, The Source, was one of the worst things I've ever seen, so maybe we should let dead things stay in their grave. I don't think Highlander really works if it's not in the form of a Queen rock opera.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The original Highlander TV show wasn't bad.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Yeah, the tv series want bad, but it's got the stink of '90s Syndication all over it though. I think I watched every episode when it was originally on, but going back to watch it on Netflix some time ago was pretty rough.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Now that katanas are played out and MMA is all the rage the new Highlander has them wrestling and then smashing the other immortals' heads, Riki-Oh style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7Sptdhpa8A

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Mu Zeta posted:

Halt and Catch Fire has really solid acting and stories. It would be doing a lot better if the name of the show wasn't so awkward. Also the posters and ads are really bad. The season 3 trailer quotes a site saying something like "gripping and consistently surprising." That's praise enough to put in a commercial?

Yeah like, what does "Halt and Catch Fire" even mean? It doesn't bring anything useful to mind.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's computer nerd slang that became an actual real code for an unrecoverable CPU stop.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

That's even less user friendly than "The Big Bang Theory"

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

raditts posted:

The last Highlander movie, The Source, was one of the worst things I've ever seen, so maybe we should let dead things stay in their grave. I don't think Highlander really works if it's not in the form of a Queen rock opera.

Broadway it is then.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Does anyone else use PS Vue? The last couple of days it's been really wigging out when watched through my Fire Stick. Things that have been DVR'ed are acting kind of weird with shows starting 15 minutes in and everything recording way too long.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

"adorable" isn't an adjective you would use to describe a show like Lethal Weapon but I just did.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kraps posted:

"adorable" isn't an adjective you would use to describe a show like Lethal Weapon but I just did.

Yeah, the shtick is not new but all the characters just click into their roles and each other.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I like Lethal Weapon but I can see already it's going to settle into generic buddy cop show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I counted 4 slow ballad montages in the first episode of Frequency. I hate the CW.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

wormil posted:

I like Lethal Weapon but I can see already it's going to settle into generic buddy cop show.

That's fine, seeing as it is on Fox it'll be a one and done show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

raditts posted:

Adrian Paul loving hates that movie but he couldn't get out of the contract. I don't know if it's on the DVD but his comments on the movie are hilarious. Halfway through filming they decided to make Duncan into Wolverine and gave him these two random short swords and it makes no sense why they would do that at all.

And the Queen covers. Oh god.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Goliath is out on Amazon Prime, at first I thought, ugh another David E. Kelley lawyer show, but gave it a shot because of Billy Bob Thornton. I ended up enjoying it quite a bit, great cast, high production value and the story is more John Grisham style than Kelley's usual stuff.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!

Mu Zeta posted:

I counted 4 slow ballad montages in the first episode of Frequency. I hate the CW.
Was one of them Imagine Dragons "Radioactive"?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No but there was Wonderwall by Oasis because I guess that's a classic rock song that's over 20 years old now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vodos posted:

Goliath is out on Amazon Prime, at first I thought, ugh another David E. Kelley lawyer show, but gave it a shot because of Billy Bob Thornton. I ended up enjoying it quite a bit, great cast, high production value and the story is more John Grisham style than Kelley's usual stuff.

Does it still have his unique style/feel at all?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Can somebody maybe help me figure out what the hell this show was? Here's what I remember (it aired many years ago, possibly in the 00s or late 90s):

Protagonist was a woman who was dead or something, but kept "alive" by regular sessions in this chair thing that had a bunch of needles or something that injected nanomachines or crazy zombie drugs into her.

She worked for the organization that owned the technology responsible for her blasphemous unlife as some sort of crimefighter or spy. I remember her wearing a mask over the lower part of her face in one scene.

She tries to run away and her body begins to break down. When her handler tracks her down and gives her the "you need us" speech, he gives her an ankh pendant and tells her it's a symbol of Osiris, who he calls the Egyptian god of the dead.

Maybe it's a movie?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

Adrian Paul loving hates that movie but he couldn't get out of the contract. I don't know if it's on the DVD but his comments on the movie are hilarious. Halfway through filming they decided to make Duncan into Wolverine and gave him these two random short swords and it makes no sense why they would do that at all.

And the Queen covers. Oh god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvS1BdiVC7o

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

This clip is the only part of that movie I've seen, and somehow it gets worse every time I watch it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

...2007 :psyduck:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The original plan for the movie was to bring back Christopher Lambert again, but he asked for too much money.

Imagine being part of a production so low-budget that you can't afford Christopher Lambert.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Timby posted:

The original plan for the movie was to bring back Christopher Lambert again, but he asked for too much money.

Imagine being part of a production so low-budget that you can't afford Christopher Lambert.

Jason Statham said that with the last Transporter movie they tried to lowball him so bad that they were going to pay him less for three movies than he normally gets for one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
One of the major plots of St. Elsewhere in the early 80s was some kind of thing where the hospital had been turned into Alice in Wonderland or some poo poo.

The tragedy is that none of these "wacky soap opera stories" are ever actually interesting to watch, except maybe Passions

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The joy I get from wacky soap operas is when I'm visiting my mom or aunt and doing some work there's always a moment where my head whips around and I say "What did they just say?!"

I can't figure out why everyone stays in that town with the hospital when it seems like half the population are serial killers and criminally insane... and why are none of them in prison? That lady kidnapped a baby and that guy poisoned the water supply.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

My personal head canon is Duncan's final line "I'm done with this" is Paul finally getting fed up with being shackled to this boat anchor of a franchise. He was getting film offers in the second season but the exhausting filming schedule of the show prevented him from taking them and by the time the show was over Hollywood wasn't really interested in Jim anymore and he went to B movie hell.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Mu Zeta posted:

No but there was Wonderwall by Oasis because I guess that's a classic rock song that's over 20 years old now.

The weirdest one for me was "My Name is Jonas" by Weezer in the second episode. Just felt really random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

He was getting film offers in the second season but the exhausting filming schedule of the show prevented him from taking them and by the time the show was over Hollywood wasn't really interested in Jim anymore and he went to B movie hell.

Let's be fair, though. B-movie hell was quite clearly above Paul's pay grade. The best actors on that show were probably Peter Wingfield and Jim Byrnes.

• Locked thread