Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
How the heck did you people have trouble finding coal in chapter 2? There's a cave full of it right next to the blue teleportal.

The hard thing to get in chapter 2 seems to be sapphires, only one enemy seems to drop em

I love how rewarding exploring is (even if large swathes are empty space), I've found cool prefabs, side quests, and accessories just running around

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Literally none of the ingredients are rare compared to Minecraft. The ones that drop from enemies are a pain though. Spike traps are your friend.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

JustJeff88 posted:

Last month, I saw someone on the Japanese version slay a green dragon using a club. He did nothing but 1 (or 2 on a crit) damage per hit and it took him about a quarter-hour to do it, but he won. It was oddly inspiring.

I'm not proud.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So on impulse I bought the phone version of DQ1 and beat it over the day.

Beat the Dragonlord just as I turned level 19, and of course he was immune to Sizzle. Got the "Carry the Princess Everywhere" ending. :toot:

Good use of 3 bucks.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
It's very hard to win at 18 although possible, 19 is where I try to win at.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I actually lost to him at 18, marched back down to him, leveled up to 19 in the process, and then beat him,

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

With all the declarations of "don't worry about anything this game is easy" I got super careless and have died to Gracos V twice now, and the fights were not particularly close. I'm looking through monster classes to plan my path to some good skills, but I think it's probably a better idea to just wait for later and get some of the high level monster classes from tablet farming instead of trying to master eight separate classes

e: in the original NES version of the game it was actually impossible to beat the final boss at any level below 18, assuming you had the best stat gain build. If you had a bad build you would need to level up even more but 18 was the absolute minimum possible

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Oct 16, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, it is more like if you get into good intermediate or advanced human classes and stay there the game is easy. you can add a lot of artificial difficulty by using crappy classes.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I just realized I had the tuxedo set/bunny outfit set on my MC and Maribel for the style contest and never switched back. My party also consisted of an MC Priest and two Drake Slimes. So, uh. Whoops.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I dunno, God's still pretty hard. I'm not fully sure how to handle him either other than grind up more vocations and levels. Also Kernel Colonel from the dlc tablet.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
If you're lazy you can just carry the evil idol statues around with you and use them to kill the dragons/other hard enemies. Only some enemies can damage them, they block attacks from most.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Allarion posted:

Also Kernel Colonel from the dlc tablet.

I spent over half an hour fighting that boss at around level 27 because I was too stubborn to just die and also because I forgot to bank my gold and didn't want to lose any.

Turns out the guy was vulnerable to being put to sleep, which was the only reason why he didn't two-round me. So I had two party members on permanent sleeping duty while I had two other characters use Scorch breath and Wind Sickles to do a combined 80 damage per turn, while a summon would rarely crit him for 450 damage. I went into the fight banking on the chance I could envenom him, but it wouldn't work. My only character with Hatchet Man had no MP, and nobody had enough attack power to do more than 1 damage to him with normal attacks. I did spend some time using Animal Magnetism so I tamed him afterwards, though. :v:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

The Machine posted:

I'm not proud.

Was that you?! It was an honour to watch you take down a giant fire-spitting lizard with essentially a wooden spoon.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I know people are dying of the Super Plague in Chapter 2 of DQB but you don't have to be so needy in your requests, I had to scour the desert for some Potatoes just to make one rear end in a top hat some Fries.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Judge Tesla posted:

I know people are dying of the Super Plague in Chapter 2 of DQB but you don't have to be so needy in your requests, I had to scour the desert for some Potatoes just to make one rear end in a top hat some Fries.

I told my friend that there was a guy on his deathbed dying while begging for french fries. We laughed at how absolutely stupid that was.

Then he got to the part himself a couple days later "Oh god I forgot you mentioned this rear end in a top hat that wants fries" had another laugh.

Glad to come on SA and see the same dude get brought up again because loving seriously :what:.

That aside I'm on the final chapter pretty deep into it (I think) and I really REALLY love the atmosphere and gimmick behind it but I have no idea how it's going to gel with people who are more sane of mind. I can just hope people don't have OCD like I do :v:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

It feels like the game design really starts to suffer in DQ7 once you approach the end of the tablets. Hubble would have been alright but they made you run back and forth to the Conjuratorium like four times, and then Providence was another location that could have been cool but they realized it only lasted like ten minutes so they made you run up and down the cave four times, and then a fifth time when you revisit in the future.

I have additionally taken the advice of choosing good classes and now that I have a Paladin and Sage in my party I realized what everyone was talking about with the game being easy. Thin Air is hilarious, but I'm also excited to switch into Gladiator to get the most out of the Oomph Focus Knuckle Sandwich combo.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

It feels like the game design really starts to suffer in DQ7 once you approach the end of the tablets. Hubble would have been alright but they made you run back and forth to the Conjuratorium like four times, and then Providence was another location that could have been cool but they realized it only lasted like ten minutes so they made you run up and down the cave four times, and then a fifth time when you revisit in the future.

I have additionally taken the advice of choosing good classes and now that I have a Paladin and Sage in my party I realized what everyone was talking about with the game being easy. Thin Air is hilarious, but I'm also excited to switch into Gladiator to get the most out of the Oomph Focus Knuckle Sandwich combo.

It's also really cool in Buccanham when you have to run up the Beacon again

plus yeah y'know, having to do everything at least twice thanks to the time travel thing

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

With all the declarations of "don't worry about anything this game is easy" I got super careless and have died to Gracos V twice now, and the fights were not particularly close. I'm looking through monster classes to plan my path to some good skills, but I think it's probably a better idea to just wait for later and get some of the high level monster classes from tablet farming instead of trying to master eight separate classes
I beat up Gracos in the past and was like "why did I remember this guy being an rear end in a top hat? he was super easy."

...yep, turns out my thirteen-year-old self wasn't completely full of poo poo after all, Gracos V and Cumulus Vex were the two hardest fights in the game just like I remembered them being,

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I have a question about chapter one. When you retrieve the evil idols, are you supposed to fight the mobs? Because that's what I did. I used the evil idols against them and had enough food/healing to survive, but I didn't get any prize for it. I eventually walked out and that's when the actual event ended, like that's what was supposed to happen. I did find the hidden magic boots and fireplace though.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
The actual goal basically says "Escape!" when you pick up the evil idols. That was completely optional, what you did. Good job, though. :v:

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I just really hate that zoom and the magic carpet don't work in the past. I'm at Aeolus vale and it takes forever to get back to the teleportal to change vocations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Marogareh posted:

I just really hate that zoom and the magic carpet don't work in the past. I'm at Aeolus vale and it takes forever to get back to the teleportal to change vocations.

Zoom not working in the past seems like a technological limitation leftover from the PSX version, but I definitely agree. This game is so much a product of the 90s that it's sort of unfortunate that they didn't take a couple more liberties trying to modernize some things a little bit. On the other hand, the one thing they did change with the beginning of the game makes me thankful they didn't touch the rest of it

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hokuto posted:

The actual goal basically says "Escape!" when you pick up the evil idols. That was completely optional, what you did. Good job, though. :v:

I assumed the mobs would turn hostile when I attacked the idols, so I spent 5 minutes boxing them all in with stone. Then when they transformed into monsters it broke the stone :doh:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the past islands aren't all at the same point in time. i would definitely prefer convenience over continuity, though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Just being able to Zoom to destinations accessible through the same tablet would be fine.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Yeah, just even zooming between cities and the teleportal on the same continent would have been nice.

e: or at least let me zoom to the top of the goddamn tower in Buccanham.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Slowly working through chapter 2 of Builders. At the point where they tell me to make ballistas and stick em high up for the condor fight, and I'm curious if I need to keep everything within the town limits. The way the golem fight is set up in chapter 1 meant I didn't have any walls because I built them just outside the town border, which was probably actually beneficial in that I had more mobility, but just curious: Are all the boss fights the same as that where stuff outside the town limits gets temporarily nixed? It would be good to know for sure and keep in mind when making things.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Okay, Faraday makes sense as that's related to electromagnetism, but for the life of me I can't figure out what they were going for with Frobisher.

Side note, I think that the storyline for this island is probably my favorite in the game.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Okay, Faraday makes sense as that's related to electromagnetism, but for the life of me I can't figure out what they were going for with Frobisher.

Side note, I think that the storyline for this island is probably my favorite in the game.

The PSX names were Falrod and Falrish, so my guess is Frobisher is more of an anglicization (both literal and figurative) of the original kana than trying to do something specific like with Faraday.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Slowly working through chapter 2 of Builders. At the point where they tell me to make ballistas and stick em high up for the condor fight, and I'm curious if I need to keep everything within the town limits. The way the golem fight is set up in chapter 1 meant I didn't have any walls because I built them just outside the town border, which was probably actually beneficial in that I had more mobility, but just curious: Are all the boss fights the same as that where stuff outside the town limits gets temporarily nixed? It would be good to know for sure and keep in mind when making things.

Yeah, the Condor also changes the area just outside town, this time to the poisonous water instead of just flat land though.

Oh and another hint for that fight: Make sure you have a clear run to the West side of town, and point all your ballistas in that direction somewhere you can set them all off quickly, as that's the side you actually fight the guy on. There'll be enemies coming from all sides, but West is the only one that matters for the Condor itself. Which is kinda stupid considering all the other monster attacks come from the East on that island.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

JustJeff88 posted:

Last month, I saw someone on the Japanese version slay a green dragon using a club. He did nothing but 1 (or 2 on a crit) damage per hit and it took him about a quarter-hour to do it, but he won. It was oddly inspiring.

Tangentially related but I liked having Yangus main clubs in 8 even though they're objectively the worst weapon skill-wise simply because the final club is badass as hell.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That aside I'm on the final chapter pretty deep into it (I think) and I really REALLY love the atmosphere and gimmick behind it but I have no idea how it's going to gel with people who are more sane of mind. I can just hope people don't have OCD like I do :v:

I just reached the final chapter and it isn't as bad as I thought you were describing since you need materials from both sides of the gimmick

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Terraria is grindy bullshit when you reach endgame, DQB is a total walk in the park in comparison and that's why I love it more than the other Sandbox Builder games.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006
So for DQB, do you have to do all the challenges in one run to get a chapter's gold medal, or do they accumulate? Obviously I'm asking because of the damned speed run challenge, always the bane of my gaming existence.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CrimsonAuthor posted:

So for DQB, do you have to do all the challenges in one run to get a chapter's gold medal, or do they accumulate? Obviously I'm asking because of the damned speed run challenge, always the bane of my gaming existence.

You can do them separately. Aside from the speed run challenges you can also do them on a "finished" save by going to the end portal again after doing it.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Faraday was probably my least favorite island and I liked Greenthumb. Texan soap opera was hilarious while robo-drama had me thinking "nobody cares, it's just a dumb robot and give that man a proper burial you shits" the entire time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
faraday was pretty bad, what with all those plot triggers you had to wander around looking for. also, i don't see much sentimental value in a non-sentient robot carrying out its programming. dude didn't even make the thing, he just fiddled with a murderbot that walked up to his doorstep.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Oh come on, nobody thinks it's hilarious that a robot has been constantly making soup for a skeleton for hundreds of years, and that instead of using the robot to further help the kingdom and the world they go "Hmm, maybe it's right and good that this robot continue its pointless task for eternity."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
not even eternity. if you go back later on the robot has broken down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

You're all heartless monsters. If you talk to the robot after bringing it back it thanks you.