Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Climhazzard was Excalibur-learned in FFIX and it's non-elemental. Credit to them for sticking to the source when designing that element of the SB, viability be damned. The question is where the DEF equation part comes in because it didn't work like that in FFIX. I guess something has to be low tier.

Well, it makes more sense on someone like Steiner who is designed to be a sky-high DEF unit, than on one of the more attack-oriented Knights like Beatrix or Agrias.

All things considered, though, if we minmax like that it really should've been on Edgar or Cecil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

KataraniSword posted:

Well, it makes more sense on someone like Steiner who is designed to be a sky-high DEF unit, than on one of the more attack-oriented Knights like Beatrix or Agrias.

All things considered, though, if we minmax like that it really should've been on Edgar or Cecil.

They should've just made the DEF-based attack equation less terrible; then it could still be a good SB.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Trash mobs shouldn't have Roulette.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Cleretic posted:

Trash mobs shouldn't have Roulette.

No, bosses shouldn't have roulette.

Trash mobs can be killed before they cast it.

(I also just brought my R2 Curaise instead of Curaja which solved all my other problems. It's not like any of the pre-bonus stages required much healing.)

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Fore purely selfish reasons I wish Faris' BSB was water elemental instead of physical, or at least the ATK/DEF commands were. One of them uses the waterga animation anyway!

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Fore purely selfish reasons I wish Faris' BSB was water elemental instead of physical, or at least the ATK/DEF commands were. One of them uses the waterga animation anyway!

And the other one is a tidal wave, so...

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

I'm actually curious now if breakdown effects get applied if a boss absorbs the element its attached to. I know they don't work if the boss is immune.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

ETB posted:

And the other one is a tidal wave, so...

I just want some synergy for that 8* Golden Hairpin! I mean, other than Bartz first BSB command. I guess I could pull for Tidus... but I'm down to 100 mythril after chasing Eiko & Beatirx BSBs and now I want to save up for Onion Knight.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

I just want some synergy for that 8* Golden Hairpin! I mean, other than Bartz first BSB command. I guess I could pull for Tidus... but I'm down to 100 mythril after chasing Eiko & Beatirx BSBs and now I want to save up for Onion Knight.

You might as well try to go full Tidus! Embrace his laughter as he washes his foes to death.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

ETB posted:

You might as well try to go full Tidus! Embrace his laughter as he washes his foes to death.

I at least do the discount dollar pull on each banner, so maybe I'll get lucky.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Schwartzcough posted:

They should've just made the DEF-based attack equation less terrible; then it could still be a good SB.

Agreed, even a 50/50 split would have gone a long way in making it decent. It feels like they overcompensated with the Armor Strike formula.

If they ever added a similar move again (or a RES-based version) I'd imagine they'd do some tweaking, hopefully.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I'm definitely not obsessively running my planned pulls through the gacha simulator over and over seeing how often I get results that would be satisfactory, that's something a crazy person would do

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Grozz Nuy posted:

I'm definitely not obsessively running my planned pulls through the gacha simulator over and over seeing how often I get results that would be satisfactory, that's something a crazy person would do

See, I'm not a superstitious man but I can't being myself to do that if only because I'll see that perfect, once in a lifetime pull out of it and realize I'll never see it again/for real.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

LornMarkus posted:

See, I'm not a superstitious man but I can't being myself to do that if only because I'll see that perfect, once in a lifetime pull out of it and realize I'll never see it again/for real.

I just did a simulated pull and ended up with Lightbringer, Excalibur, Hamelin, Trident and Wizard Rod. The fact that I will never see this pull for real depresses me.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah it sucks a little bit having your best days behind you. I know I'll get some good pulls going forward, but there's no way I'll ever match the 15 mythril pull I did which netted me Greg's BSB, Faris's BSB, and Sheepsong.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Did Reddit ever publish data on the drop rate for Ragnarok? Because if the rate for 6* relics is actually .1%, then a bunch of people either got crazy lucky or chased it really hard because plenty of people seem to have it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Did Reddit ever publish data on the drop rate for Ragnarok? Because if the rate for 6* relics is actually .1%, then a bunch of people either got crazy lucky or chased it really hard because plenty of people seem to have it.

I'm pretty sure on-banner relics is actually the same 1% for OSBs as they formerly were for SSBs/are for BSBs.

Off-banner 6* relics are actually a .001% chance, if memory serves, if not lower. I don't remember the exact numbers, just that it's rarer than getting a normal Unique/Super/Burst relic off-banner. So if someone tells you they got a Ragnarok from the Eiko banners, burn the witch

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Grozz Nuy posted:

On-banner 6* items are 1%, just like BSBs. Supposedly in Japan getting an OFF-BANNER 6* is .1%, but it looks like results in global so far are showing 0.000% chance of off-banner 6*.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
If it was .1% for the FF7 banner then I should have played the lottery!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Armitage posted:

If it was .1% for the FF7 banner then I should have played the lottery!

No since Cloud's OSB is on Banner for that one it's the usual 1%.

Though, I have to wonder what the odds are for the G5 pull are. Do they just make it proportionally the same chances?

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Dr Pepper posted:

Though, I have to wonder what the odds are for the G5 pull are. Do they just make it proportionally the same chances?

Oh yeah, I know. I still feel stupidly lucky to pull three even with those odds. I think before this banner the only combined 5* I have was an Enhancer. My relics for the most part are spread out.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

Yeah, the guaranteed 5* item has the same odds of any normal pull, including 6* or off-banner.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

All the bosses down! I'm not really sure I can CM Diamond Weapon but eh I'm happy I beat him. I was worried I'd need 7 characters worth of abilities but I only have enough for five characters. I excluded Yuffie and actually used Cait Sith to do dancing and mending flame to top things off. I'm not impressed with Veils anyway.

I used a set up from earlier in the thread, but I put Red XIII and Vincent in to work their magic. The Crystal Comb and Shortbarrel pulls came in handy, once Sheepsong was active they were nuking Diamond Weapon pretty good.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

As far as pulling goes, I'm honestly not really sure where I want to go with my relics anymore

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Extremely late to the party, but I finally beat that loving zombie dragon and nabbed my MC III lode. Reviving bosses are the death of me, not totally sure why. Here's my party breakdown in case anyone else is struggling:

SBs:
Cloud: Climhazzard/Finishing Touch
Aeris: White Materia
Faris: Sea Lord's Broadside, never used (she was only there so I could buff my defenses enough to stop dying)
Ramza: Shout
Zack: Apocalypse

I wound up doing some orb management and honing up a firaga strike so I'd have the DPS. Aeris' BSB was a lifesaver since it let me carry both shellga and protectga while still having a curaga (-ja?) command available.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Extremely late to the party, but I finally beat that loving zombie dragon and nabbed my MC III lode. Reviving bosses are the death of me, not totally sure why. Here's my party breakdown in case anyone else is struggling:

SBs:
Cloud: Climhazzard/Finishing Touch
Aeris: White Materia
Faris: Sea Lord's Broadside, never used (she was only there so I could buff my defenses enough to stop dying)
Ramza: Shout
Zack: Apocalypse

I wound up doing some orb management and honing up a firaga strike so I'd have the DPS. Aeris' BSB was a lifesaver since it let me carry both shellga and protectga while still having a curaga (-ja?) command available.

Reviving bosses might be the death of you because your breakdowns only look to be R2; remember, every time the boss 'dies' all it's debuffs get cleared and have to be reapplied.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

CaptainPsyko posted:

Reviving bosses might be the death of you because your breakdowns only look to be R2; remember, every time the boss 'dies' all it's debuffs get cleared and have to be reapplied.

I need another orbfest :negative:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Did an 11-pull on the FF9 banner, because I am weak.

4/11

Esthar Bracers
Excalibur IX
Excalibur IX
Trident

:woop: Waifu spear get! Also two other stat sticks for FF9 synergy. BUT WHO CARES, WAIFU SPEAR!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Does anyone know the droprate for Major Orbs from Magic Pots? I've fought dozens over the last week without getting a single drop and am curious to know exactly how poo poo my luck is

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
I had a disappointing pull on Eiko's Banner. 2/22, Beatrix's BSB and Garnet's SSB. Not that bad in general, but I was hoping for more FFIX synergy items and some soul breaks for characters I would actually get from the event, since I had no FFIX characters yet (except Vivi/Steiner from realms maybe?). So I decided to use some hero souls to unlock Faris and Beatrix (I also had a Faris BSB weapon just sitting unused, and it's supposedly good), since both don't seem to be coming up anytime soon according to the event calendar. All I need now is a good soul break for a healer, but I have Minwu's SSB sitting in my inventory already and I'm not wasting a hero soul on him since he's coming next event. Aeris with Seal Evil (so basically nothing) will have to do until then.

I thought Beatrix's BSB was pretty good. Damage in the same league as the rest of my team (Cloud USB, Cid(VII) SSB, Faris BSB) and in Burst mode there's a great double hit attack which makes physical attacks target her. Then I first used it against a group boss. :stare: that poo poo is AoE holy gently caress it's amazing!

So yeah for new players I would definitely recommend using a hero soul or two to unlock characters if the first BSBs you get are for characters that you won't be seeing for a long time.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Griefor posted:

I had a disappointing pull on Eiko's Banner. 2/22, Beatrix's BSB and Garnet's SSB. Not that bad in general, but I was hoping for more FFIX synergy items and some soul breaks for characters I would actually get from the event, since I had no FFIX characters yet (except Vivi/Steiner from realms maybe?). So I decided to use some hero souls to unlock Faris and Beatrix (I also had a Faris BSB weapon just sitting unused, and it's supposedly good), since both don't seem to be coming up anytime soon according to the event calendar. All I need now is a good soul break for a healer, but I have Minwu's SSB sitting in my inventory already and I'm not wasting a hero soul on him since he's coming next event. Aeris with Seal Evil (so basically nothing) will have to do until then.

I thought Beatrix's BSB was pretty good. Damage in the same league as the rest of my team (Cloud USB, Cid(VII) SSB, Faris BSB) and in Burst mode there's a great double hit attack which makes physical attacks target her. Then I first used it against a group boss. :stare: that poo poo is AoE holy gently caress it's amazing!

So yeah for new players I would definitely recommend using a hero soul or two to unlock characters if the first BSBs you get are for characters that you won't be seeing for a long time.

Uuurg, that's not a bad pull. Anyway, Garnet is a perfectly serviceable healer, and her SSB is pretty good. It's not a medica, but you'd be surprised how much high regen will end up healing your team. Plus hastega and a RES boost are almost always good.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Griefor posted:

I had a disappointing pull on Eiko's Banner. 2/22, Beatrix's BSB and Garnet's SSB. Not that bad in general, but I was hoping for more FFIX synergy items and some soul breaks for characters I would actually get from the event

:shobon:

I was going to reply by mocking you but then I realized you're very new and didn't realize how good your pull was.

Garnet's SSB is badass all by itself, and any BSB means you've had a lucky pull.

NaanViolence fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 16, 2016

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Not only is Beatrix's BSB AoE Holy, it also applies an effect known as Imperil Holy; what that doesnis makes bosses vulnerable to attacks that do holy damage (such as, for example, Beatrix's burst commands, and many of the Knight skills she can use.)

The bonus damage isn't massive (+20% - it adds up once/if you get some other holy damage dealers in your party, but for just Beatrix, it's weaker than the 'enelement' category of effects that competes with imperils for space), but the great thing is that when you hit an enemy with an element that they're vulnerable to, you get more SB gauge from that hit.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

NaanViolence posted:

:shobon:

I was going to reply by mocking you but then I realized you're very new and didn't realize how good your pull was.

As I was saying, I realized it was good stuff, but I wanted to get stuff that matched with characters I had. Neither Beatrix nor Garnet was coming up for a long time. Meanwhile 3/5 characters in my team were using their default soul breaks. This was before I realized the Hall of Records could offer a solution.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

CaptainPsyko posted:

Not only is Beatrix's BSB AoE Holy, it also applies an effect known as Imperil Holy; what that doesnis makes bosses vulnerable to attacks that do holy damage (such as, for example, Beatrix's burst commands, and many of the Knight skills she can use.)

Just to clarify, only Bea's first burst command is holy, and gives the Sentinel effect. Her second burst command is non-elemental (but is slightly stronger to compensate) and gives her a 40% RES boost. So optimally you'd use the second burst once if you're fighting anything with magic attacks, then spam the first attack for higher damage and quicker SB gauge building.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I've been playing for ~two months and I'm rapidly running out of characters I don't have :v: Characters are really, really not an issue in this game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

I need another orbfest :negative:

I think you should be able to kill the phases in one cast of Full BReak > Breakdown each until you get to the end though.

Personally I killed the last form, didn't realize it would still use the AOE and party wiped and I was too annoyed to go back and do it after that happened. I need to get on that for the MC3 soon

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I really wish people would stop complaining about the BSB's they pull.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Attestant posted:

I really wish people would stop complaining about the BSB's they pull.

Unless it's Trigger Happy. Trigger Happy is pretty unhappy. :v:

(But nah, even it's solid as hell and was the entire reason I CM'd the Magus Sister mote battle.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I'm pretty much just resolved to never be negative about a pull again, I've got a fuckton of luck debt to pay back from drawing Vaan's BSB on the celerity lucky draw :shobon: I'll be pretty salty if I get nothing for Alphinaud in three Minfilia 1 pulls, but that's about it.

• Locked thread