Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ok whatever I guess I'll get back to consuming some non-local media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
The glass is fine, but a glass screen protector has its own oleophobic coating, which makes for smooth gliding motions and can easily be replaced if it does get scratched. I took my cover off my 6P recently and can easily tell the difference already.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

RZA Encryption posted:

Ok whatever I guess I'll get back to consuming some non-local media.

I'm part of a plan with the rest of my family, I can only realistically afford to use up a gig a month!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hace posted:

I'm part of a plan with the rest of my family, I can only realistically afford to use up a gig a month!

I barely "consume media" and I'd be hard pressed to use less than 1GB in a month. Of course I have unlimited data so I neither care about not check my data consumption, but why even buy a smartphone if you're just going use it on a plan that essentially makes it useless?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Page 666
Hail Samsatan

WE SALUTE YOU, DARK LORD.

Joking aside, I installed Nova Launcher. So nice not having a search bar I never use. Now I just need a transparent weather widget.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Nova Launcher is really good but I really like having Google Now on the far left home screen.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mister Macys posted:

Page 666
Hail Samsatan

WE SALUTE YOU, DARK LORD.

Joking aside, I installed Nova Launcher. So nice not having a search bar I never use. Now I just need a transparent weather widget.

Weather Timeline's widgets are pretty nice if you don't mind spending a couple bucks.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

LastInLine posted:

I barely "consume media" and I'd be hard pressed to use less than 1GB in a month. Of course I have unlimited data so I neither care about not check my data consumption, but why even buy a smartphone if you're just going use it on a plan that essentially makes it useless?

Turns out you can download media to your phone when you're on wifi and consume it later when you're not.

I tried to use only my phone as my music player in my car but after a couple weeks it got tiring so I've got my iPod back in action. I have a 32gb 6P but my next phone is definitely going to be 128gb (or higher if it's offered). Only way I would go 32gb again is if unlimited data gets cheaper/music streaming being free becomes a universal thing. I like having access to literally all my music at all times, but I also like my ~$30 a month bills on Project Fi. So for me the solution right now is my iPod. In a year or so when I upgrade my phone, it will probably be more storage in my phone.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
The way I do things is right, the way you guys do things is wrong. gently caress everybody but me.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nova Launcher is really good but I really like having Google Now on the far left home screen.

I used to use nova but switched to action launcher because it allows you to do this, tho I think it requires root. It owns

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I don't know if a screen protector is really needed, but I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

My Nexus 6 screen protector has a couple fairly sized scratches (cracks?) that are just in the screen protector. Maybe the phone wouldn't have gotten the same damage but I'd rather not take the chance.

I bought the case from Google but I don't usually last with cases very long.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

CLAM DOWN posted:

This drove me mad until I set my 2nd home button action to show Google Now.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I find the idea of caring so much about your device getting minor scratches pretty foreign to me. It feels like with cases and screen protectors you're making your device look worse to prevent a chance of your device looking "worse". (quotes explained by next sentence)

Some of the coolest things I own are cool largely because they are worn and scuffed from use.

Admittedly, I'm not terribly worried about resale value and if I was I'd care.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
For those with the Nexus 6p, have you upgraded to 7.0 yet? Any issues?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I never bothered with screen protectors much on my previous iPhones but I got an annoying scratch on the MotoXP 15 I had almost immediately - so I have one on the 6p now and have no issues with it. Putting phones in pockets/manpurses/filthy golf bags are definitely the culprits.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Hughmoris posted:

Yes and no. Battery is slightly better too.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Blue Train posted:

I used to use nova but switched to action launcher because it allows you to do this, tho I think it requires root. It owns

I just set it to a swipe up action. But I really don't understand that if you can do that why launchers can't interpret a swipe left on the leftmost screen to launch it. Sure it wouldn't slide in but whoopty do.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Thermopyle posted:

I find the idea of caring so much about your device getting minor scratches pretty foreign to me. It feels like with cases and screen protectors you're making your device look worse to prevent a chance of your device looking "worse". (quotes explained by next sentence)

Some of the coolest things I own are cool largely because they are worn and scuffed from use.

I work in a store with concrete floors, dropping my poo poo without a case is no bueno, especially if I'm looking to trade it in for credit towards a new phone.

I might not get a screen protector for the Pixel right away but I'm definitely getting a case.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The way I do things is right, the way you guys do things is wrong. gently caress everybody but me.

Stop using what I don't use :argh: :argh: :argh:

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

I find the idea of caring so much about your device getting minor scratches pretty foreign to me. It feels like with cases and screen protectors you're making your device look worse to prevent a chance of your device looking "worse".

Agreed. I haven't had a case on my phones and this 6P is the first one I've really dropped and dinged. Just a dented corner is the most damage I've suffered.

That being said, I went ahead and opted for the 5$/mo protection plan on Fi for the Pixel. I'll run it as a business expense and probably never use it, but given that the price has gone from 500 to shy of a 1000 for replacement, the impact of an issue has gotten larger.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I love nova. I get to have a blank desktop to enjoy pictures (Muzei) and just use gestures to get to anything I need.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Hughmoris posted:

It's great. My only issue was how long it took to roll out.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

FunOne posted:

Agreed. I haven't had a case on my phones and this 6P is the first one I've really dropped and dinged. Just a dented corner is the most damage I've suffered.

That being said, I went ahead and opted for the 5$/mo protection plan on Fi for the Pixel. I'll run it as a business expense and probably never use it, but given that the price has gone from 500 to shy of a 1000 for replacement, the impact of an issue has gotten larger.

Did you find that the $5/month was a better option for you than the $99 Google Protection?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Thermopyle posted:

It's not about looks. It's about preserving basic functionality. I put on a protector to keep the screen from becoming less usable. I put a defender on it to keep the device from shattering.

If I cared about how it looked, I wouldn't ruin the screen's beauty with a plastic film.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

PerrineClostermann posted:

It's not about looks. It's about preserving basic functionality. I put on a protector to keep the screen from becoming less usable. I put a defender on it to keep the device from shattering.

If I cared about how it looked, I wouldn't ruin the screen's beauty with a plastic film.

He's saying that to him, not you, it is about affecting the look. And I agree. Clearly some people carry around sand in their pocket with their smartphone, but I've never gotten a screen scratch and definitely will never ruin the look/feel of my device with a screen protector.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

You consume food. You sound like an out of touch marketer when you use it to mean watching or reading or listening or whatever the gently caress.

Same, OP.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CLAM DOWN posted:

He's saying that to him, not you, it is about affecting the look. And I agree. Clearly some people carry around sand in their pocket with their smartphone, but I've never gotten a screen scratch and definitely will never ruin the look/feel of my device with a screen protector.

He's proposing that people get cases to preserve the look of their phones. I'm saying that's not why people get cases.

And if you're ever in an actual outside environment, tiny bits of grit and dirt eventually get into your pockets. It's not like anyone purposefully puts a handful of sand into their pockets and then slips their phone into it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

He's proposing that people get cases to preserve the look of their phones. I'm saying that's not why people get cases.

And if you're ever in an actual outside environment, tiny bits of grit and dirt eventually get into your pockets. It's not like anyone purposefully puts a handful of sand into their pockets and then slips their phone into it.

I spend half my free time hiking in forests and mountains, and I've never had that problem. Maybe it's you.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I love nova. I get to have a blank desktop to enjoy pictures (Muzei) and just use gestures to get to anything I need.
I should set left swipe to google, but I use down for the notification shade, up for app drawer, and home x2 for now. Works for me.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

withoutclass posted:

Did you find that the $5/month was a better option for you than the $99 Google Protection?

Couple of things:

I run the Fi bill as a business expense, versus the phone purchase itself. I like that I can cancel it whenever I want. I generally only keep phones for a year, so $60 makes more sense than $99.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I spend half my free time hiking in forests and mountains, and I've never had that problem. Maybe it's you.

I found a picture of him

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CLAM DOWN posted:

I spend all my time outdoors, this is in fact a computer hooked up to a generator by my tent.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just moved my 2014 Moto X from Verizon to Ting and now whenever it boots I see a "SIM card not from Verizon" message from the Motorola Wizard or some such thing which can't be disabled. Is there any way to remove that notification?

(Yes, it's only on boot, but this phone has started losing the UI - nav keys, status bar, etc. - periodically, which requires a reboot to fix.)

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
Does Verizon offer those "free upgrades" to a Pixel?

..also HAIL SATAN

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

No, I'm not. I'm saying some portion of people do, and those people are the ones I'm talking to.

If you think that no one or not even a significant portion of people get cases with preserving the looks being a large part of the reason they got such protection, I can only tell you that I think you're wrong.

If you're not one of these people I'm not sure why you bothered to respond.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Thermopyle posted:

No, I'm not. I'm saying some portion of people do, and those people are the ones I'm talking to.

If you think that no one or not even a significant portion of people get cases with preserving the looks being a large part of the reason they got such protection, I can only tell you that I think you're wrong.

If you're not one of these people I'm not sure why you bothered to respond.

....Because I thought you were saying everyone using cases are doing it to protect looks. It's in the quoted message.

I really don't think people plaster their "gorgeous" phone in junk with the intent to preserve them like some twisted Mr. Freeze fantasy. Tons of average, regular people who don't spend lots of time on forums go around with cheap cases, scratched screens, and eventually drop their phone too hard and crack it. They shrug and keep on going with life, and continue using the cases with their cracked phones. Hell, from when I was researching expensive tempered glass screen protectors, it seems like the reason why they're sought after is: protecting the screen from cracking during an impact. I am kind of curious how many people you've encountered that don't act this way, though. Maybe it's a regional thing.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Using cases to protect from catastrophic damage is valid.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Flavor Truck posted:

Does Verizon offer those "free upgrades" to a Pixel?

..also HAIL SATAN

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Wrong thread. Also, Android is the best, long live google.

Hamelekim fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 16, 2016