Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Drowning Rabbit posted:

My Wife surprised me this afternoon in my sick stupor with a late birthday present. She got me a SD2SNES! Loaded it up and tried out some Adventures of Batman and Robin, found out I still can't beat the Joker, then had to fall back to my old standby, Donkey Kong Country. This cart is pretty amazing.

Loaded it up with the latest firmware as well.

Load up some MSU1 patches. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Load up some MSU1 patches. :getin:

Definitely have to get that done next.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Linking to SNES roms is still okay to do here, right? Rules says old/out of print ROMs are okay to link to. Assuming that's true...

Making MSU-1 patched games is a pain, we should get completed ones zipped up and uploaded somewhere for easy sharing. I've got F-Zero, Link to the Past, Super Metroid, and Super Mario World I could upload.

Edit VVVVVV: Well... fudge.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 16, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

xamphear posted:

Linking to SNES roms is still okay to do here, right? Rules says old/out of print ROMs are okay to link to. Assuming that's true...

Making MSU-1 patched games is a pain, we should get completed ones zipped up and uploaded somewhere for easy sharing. I've got F-Zero, Link to the Past, Super Metroid, and Super Mario World I could upload.

Issue with that is that some of the MSU1 patched games use copyrighted music. Chrono Trigger is an example because it uses all of Blake Robinson's orchestrated adaptations which he charges for.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Framemeister questions!
I have been wanting to do a retro gaming set up for ages now, and while hunting down a BVM/PVM sounds tempting I may just end up going with an XRGB mini.
I have a few questions ...
I will primarily use it to play Playstation 1 and 2 games, as well as SNES/SFC.
I live in Japan and have both a SNES and SFC, but the only Playstation hardware I currently have is a Japanese PS3.
I own quite a few PS1/2 classics on PSN, but they mostly look like garbage on my 1080p plasma.

What I am wondering is: If I connect my PS3 to the Framemeister through HDMI (Or RGB 21, if there is a difference), and set the classics to output at 480p, what kind of image quality can I expect?
Does anyone have experience doing this? Since PS2s are region locked I would have to order a used North American PS2 online and then actually track down games.

Not even mentioning the clutter of having so many game consoles in a small Japanese apartment (It's already pretty bad), the fact that I already own most of the PS1/PS2 era games I want to play on PSN would make this solution a lot easier for me. I'm assuming that PS3 games that render at 720p will also look a bit cleaner through the Framemeister.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Pegnose Pete posted:

Framemeister questions!
I have been wanting to do a retro gaming set up for ages now, and while hunting down a BVM/PVM sounds tempting I may just end up going with an XRGB mini.
I have a few questions ...
I will primarily use it to play Playstation 1 and 2 games, as well as SNES/SFC.
I live in Japan and have both a SNES and SFC, but the only Playstation hardware I currently have is a Japanese PS3.
I own quite a few PS1/2 classics on PSN, but they mostly look like garbage on my 1080p plasma.

What I am wondering is: If I connect my PS3 to the Framemeister through HDMI (Or RGB 21, if there is a difference), and set the classics to output at 480p, what kind of image quality can I expect?
Does anyone have experience doing this? Since PS2s are region locked I would have to order a used North American PS2 online and then actually track down games.

Not even mentioning the clutter of having so many game consoles in a small Japanese apartment (It's already pretty bad), the fact that I already own most of the PS1/PS2 era games I want to play on PSN would make this solution a lot easier for me. I'm assuming that PS3 games that render at 720p will also look a bit cleaner through the Framemeister.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If your PS3 can't make your PS1 games look good because of your TV, the Framemeister isn't going to help.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

8-bit Miniboss posted:

If your PS3 can't make your PS1 games look good because of your TV, the Framemeister isn't going to help.

The PS1 games look fine, I was referring more to the PS2 Classics that look like garbage.
Would something like an XPC-4 be more suited for this?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Pegnose Pete posted:

The PS1 games look fine, I was referring more to the PS2 Classics that look like garbage.
Would something like an XPC-4 be more suited for this?

Then I'm not sure. I don't own any PS2 classics so I don't know to what extent of work developers have done to make it work on a PS3 visually.

Also, I missed it last time, but the HDMI inputs on a Framemeister are passthrough and don't have any processing on them. You'd have to connect the PS3 with component or JP21 cables. Not the best setup.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Then I'm not sure. I don't own any PS2 classics so I don't know to what extent of work developers have done to make it work on a PS3 visually.

Also, I missed it last time, but the HDMI inputs on a Framemeister are passthrough and don't have any processing on them. You'd have to connect the PS3 with component or JP21 cables. Not the best setup.

I see! Good to know about the HDMI.
For reference the PS2 Classics have a few options for using the PS3 for upscaling, but these can all be turned off which I assume means the PS3 outputs at 480. They look muddy as hell at the best of times on any of the settings.

Assuming I just use the PS3 for these classics, what would the disadvantage to using JP21 cables be?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You sure about that? I was able to put scanlines on my PS3 by running it through the framemeister and dropping the resolution to 480p. It just refuses to process higher signals.

Edit: scanlined megaman 10

flyboi fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 16, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Pegnose Pete posted:

I see! Good to know about the HDMI.
For reference the PS2 Classics have a few options for using the PS3 for upscaling, but these can all be turned off which I assume means the PS3 outputs at 480. They look muddy as hell at the best of times on any of the settings.

Assuming I just use the PS3 for these classics, what would the disadvantage to using JP21 cables be?

You lose 720/1080 I believe.

flyboi posted:

You sure about that? I was able to put scanlines on my PS3 by running it through the framemeister and dropping the resolution to 480p. It just refuses to process higher signals.

Part of me believes that scanlines is all you can really do on HDMI input in the not-passthrough mode. I've never seen anyone use it though. You're the first person.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 16, 2016

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Part of me believes that scanlines is all you can really do on HDMI input in the not-passthrough mode. I've never seen anyone use it though. You're the first person.

Before the Shield TV was a thing it was how I would play PSX & arcade roms

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I don't worry too much about scanlines, I love the clean pixelated look on retro games.

I swear I read somewhere that the mini could do 720 up to 1080 over HDMi but I'm not sure.

Regarding the PS2 classics, it sounds like it would be fine over JP21...but won't know for sure until I try it. I'm travelling to Canada this year and could grab a used PS2 with a few of the games I'm looking to play, but was hoping someone would have experience running the classics on a PS3.
Flyboi since you are running this set up any chance you own a PS2 classic?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
It can pass up to 1080p but if you want it to do any processing it has to be sending out a 480p signal.

I do not have PS2 classics, I ended up getting my old modded PS2 a few months back and before that used a slim.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

flyboi posted:

It can pass up to 1080p but if you want it to do any processing it has to be sending out a 480p signal.

I do not have PS2 classics, I ended up getting my old modded PS2 a few months back and before that used a slim.

Ah, ok. Thanks. I was looking into modding a used PS2 as well when I go back to Toronto this year. Back in the day I used the disc swap method but eventually the PS2 broke down.
The other option is emulating but I don't have a PC capable of this right now and when I last tried there were still some quirks and visual effects that didn't emulate well.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Drowning Rabbit posted:

My Wife surprised me this afternoon in my sick stupor with a late birthday present. She got me a SD2SNES! Loaded it up and tried out some Adventures of Batman and Robin, found out I still can't beat the Joker, then had to fall back to my old standby, Donkey Kong Country. This cart is pretty amazing.

Loaded it up with the latest firmware as well.

Using various flashcarts (and CD-R on Saturn) has really revitalized my gaming. My time is sparse nowadays and I gave up on the collecting aspect, since the games I wanted were super expensive. Now I can give them a quick spin if I feel like it.

Not to mention the awesome MSU-1, translation patch and homebrew options.

Also, the Link to the Past and Super Metroid MSU-1 patches are awesome. I found a site that had a lot of those patches pre-packed, but I don't know if it's alright to link. It shouldn't be hard to find.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 16, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Pegnose Pete posted:

Ah, ok. Thanks. I was looking into modding a used PS2 as well when I go back to Toronto this year. Back in the day I used the disc swap method but eventually the PS2 broke down.
The other option is emulating but I don't have a PC capable of this right now and when I last tried there were still some quirks and visual effects that didn't emulate well.

Are you sure that the problem isn't just that PS2 games really are blurry messes instead of a problem with the PS3 classics?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioc3Iu3d-Zk

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The HDMI passthrough without any processing was something that was added in a Framemeister firmware update, and you have to specifically turn it on if you just want the passthrough. At least I'm pretty sure that's how it worked.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

TeaJay posted:

Also, the Link to the Past and Super Metroid MSU-1 patches are awesome. I found a site that had a lot of those patches pre-packed, but I don't know if it's alright to link. It shouldn't be hard to find.
I was watching YouTube samples of the megaman x msu1 patch and I noticed that the music completely overpowered the sound effects as was noted earlier in the thread. Did you not find the same issues?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I was watching YouTube samples of the megaman x msu1 patch and I noticed that the music completely overpowered the sound effects as was noted earlier in the thread. Did you not find the same issues?

Yes, I think I wrote something about that when talking about my MSU experiences. Anyways, that's one of the reasons I didn't like the Mega Man X MSU all that much, other is that .. the "updated" music itself is kinda underwhelming, unlike the LTTP or Super Metroid. Audio inconsistency is a bit of a problem with Super Metroid too, some sounds like the "item get" fanfare are way louder than others.

Also it's great to be able to play Rock'n'roll Racing with the original tracks playing during gameplay.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TeaJay posted:

Yes, I think I wrote something about that when talking about my MSU experiences. Anyways, that's one of the reasons I didn't like the Mega Man X MSU all that much, other is that .. the "updated" music itself is kinda underwhelming, unlike the LTTP or Super Metroid. Audio inconsistency is a bit of a problem with Super Metroid too, some sounds like the "item get" fanfare are way louder than others.

Also it's great to be able to play Rock'n'roll Racing with the original tracks playing during gameplay.

Very happy with the regular Everdrive, but hearing stuff like that does make me wish I paid another 100 to get the other model. Oh well.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That FMV in LttP sure is something. Different strokes and all, and they're better than the CDi sequences, but a big part of why I play retro games is that you can be knee deep in the story in the time it takes modern games to give you movement control, and, well...

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

That FMV in LttP sure is something. Different strokes and all, and they're better than the CDi sequences, but a big part of why I play retro games is that you can be knee deep in the story in the time it takes modern games to give you movement control, and, well...

Otherwise I'd agree, but that opening FMV is just a one time thing, at least for me. It's done and even acted really well. It just fits there with the cinematic new soundtrack of the MSU-1 patch.

The BS Zelda though, at least the voice acting version, is kinda annoying for the reasons you said. It's a really strange and curious thing but the gameplay isn't the best. I have played the timerless version more.

Also one more point for the SD2SNES: Super Road Blaster, MSU-1 version.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I mentioned getting a new tv for free with competent, but here is a picture of it with the new cables. Still need to get a SNES one so I can use it on the SNES and N64 (post mod), but what options are for the NES...or I just stuck with composite for it?

https://twitter.com/Rirse/status/787675407277367296

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
The SNES component cables are so worth it and negated my desire to get an upscaler.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rirse posted:

I mentioned getting a new tv for free with competent, but here is a picture of it with the new cables. Still need to get a SNES one so I can use it on the SNES and N64 (post mod), but what options are for the NES...or I just stuck with composite for it?

https://twitter.com/Rirse/status/787675407277367296

The NES doesn't have native RGB (which those cables convert from to component video), so you'd want to look at a NESRGB mod most likely. Not sure if it's compatible with those Retrovision cables, but it should at least give you S-Video through your NES if nothing else

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Kthulhu5000 posted:

The NES doesn't have native RGB (which those cables convert from to component video), so you'd want to look at a NESRGB mod most likely. Not sure if it's compatible with those Retrovision cables, but it should at least give you S-Video through your NES if nothing else

Not officially supported but I've been seeing lots of people on Twitter posting pictures of them working on NESRGB modded consoles. Same with N64. Not official, but still seems to work.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Monopthalmus posted:

Not officially supported but I've been seeing lots of people on Twitter posting pictures of them working on NESRGB modded consoles. Same with N64. Not official, but still seems to work.
Anything that's been RGB modded and has a Nintendo Multi-Out connector will work. An NES with the nesrgb mod and a 3D printed connector works great, as does an N64, though mine has true CSync, rather than Sync on Luma (but I bet that works too).

The only thing I haven't tested with the cable I had is a Gamecube with the new GCVideo analog board. I highly suspect that wiring up the output of that to the Multi-Out would totally work, though. I've been meaning to get one to test with my scart cable and framemeister.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Monopthalmus posted:

xamphear posted:

Anything that's been RGB modded and has a Nintendo Multi-Out connector will work. An NES with the nesrgb mod and a 3D printed connector works great, as does an N64, though mine has true CSync, rather than Sync on Luma (but I bet that works too).

The only thing I haven't tested with the cable I had is a Gamecube with the new GCVideo analog board. I highly suspect that wiring up the output of that to the Multi-Out would totally work, though. I've been meaning to get one to test with my scart cable and framemeister.

That's what I figured, but I was on my phone and couldn't look things up as well as I'd like, and I didn't want to state something conclusively.

Per Monitor Burn's mod service thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3673990

Rirse would be looking at $175 plus shipping to have him do the NESRGB install. There's also the Hi-Def NES HDMI mod, but that would be more pricey and not really "CRT compatible" unless his CRT is one of those rare ones with HDMI inputs.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kthulhu5000 posted:

That's what I figured, but I was on my phone and couldn't look things up as well as I'd like, and I didn't want to state something conclusively.

Per Monitor Burn's mod service thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3673990

Rirse would be looking at $175 plus shipping to have him do the NESRGB install. There's also the Hi-Def NES HDMI mod, but that would be more pricey and not really "CRT compatible" unless his CRT is one of those rare ones with HDMI inputs.

Yeah I probably would skip that then, as NES isn't a graphical powerhouse to be worth the trouble to make it look slightly better.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

At the very least you could try getting a comb filter which could help a little bit with the NES's composite output.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

flyboi posted:

Edit: scanlined megaman 10

Am I like the only person in the world that doesn't have a raging hard on for scanlines?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Star Man posted:

Am I like the only person in the world that doesn't have a raging hard on for scanlines?

I rarely use them, so no.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Can someone please tell my why Punisher on Sega Genesis is going for $150 and why I suddenly want it real bad?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Flaggy posted:

Can someone please tell my why Punisher on Sega Genesis is going for $150 and why I suddenly want it real bad?

Not sure, too early to claim it came late in the system's life cycle. No idea of production run so I can't claim that either but could be a possibility. As far as I know it's a poor port of the arcade version that had multiple issues and reviewed poorly.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Flaggy posted:

Aside from general retro inflation, it's reasonably uncommon and is the only home version of a popular, post-SF2 Capcom brawler.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Do not collect 16 bit games it will gently caress your wallet up.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Do not collect 16 bit games it will gently caress your wallet up.

It's gone beyond that, the generation who were kids when the GC came out are now full adults and prices have started spiking up pretty badly in recent times. Copies of Super Mario Sunshine routinely go for like 25-30 dollars shipped on eBay now, even lovely first part Nintendo stuff that no one liked is going up, I just sold a copy of Star Fox Assault for over 20 dollars.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Elliotw2 posted:

Are you sure that the problem isn't just that PS2 games really are blurry messes instead of a problem with the PS3 classics?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioc3Iu3d-Zk

There is a possibility there is less of a visible difference than I am expecting. My issue isn't with the handling of the PS2 Classics themselves since you can output them at the original resolution, but rather my TVs ability to deal with displaying a 480i signal. I have a Panasonic Plasma, Japanese model, from around 2010 or so. It is probably doing a better job than a lot of other displays, but I would rather display content at its native resolution where possible. Even playing PS3 games rendering at 720p on my 1080p display kind of bothers me with the blurry text, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Anyone have a good source for console/handheld shells? I'm looking to re-case my DS Lite and my girlfriend's DSi and also maybe my Wii because they're all beat to poo poo. I'd prefer if somewhere had the painfully rare TWEWY shells but I'm flexible.

• Locked thread