Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
So, they don't actually link emails directly, which pissed me off (a republican friend of mine who will probably vote johnson but is 100% on the "Livia did it" theme of the past 30 years of attacks on Hillary linked it, and he's a good friend so I want to read things and talk to him about things), but here's the pertinent bits of the article:

I tried cutting out the most hand-wavy bits, and most of the emails seem to be by her staff. But they reference things without direct quotes like it's common knowledge - of COURSE the staffers talked directly in emails about evading a subpoena, that's what people DO over official, recorded channels! It just makes me :ughh: that all this handwavey bullshit is enough to make good people genuinely hate Clinton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

lol Tapper

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's like these morons didn't learn poo poo from cosby.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
To elaborate on what I just said a little more, your every day racist may hold racist beliefs but this seldom translates well into national policy. And nationalist neo-reactionary governments are more than just the net sum of every racist belief and every racist person in the country.

In other words, what Trump is doing is far more destructive than having some 20-30% of your racist population harboring racist beliefs, or even 50%

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
In that NBC poll its only Trump +3 for men, and a whopping Clinton +20 for women

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I think/hope that if Trump stays stuck in the gear he's in from now until the election, careening back and forth from globalist cabal conspiracy to demanding drug tests to trashing these female accusers, even with his die hard support he's going to suffer some erosion around the edges that hopefully will yield a couple or a few more percentage points and get us towards the double digit win probably needed to flip the House and ensure a Senate flip.

I'm hoping that even some GOP voters will get sick of it after three weeks and throw up their hands and give up.

I'm hoping that Trump Fatigue disproportionately affects his own supporters.

Unfortunately I expect the Fox News debate to be a shitshow and a hit job on Clinton. Consider how the first Fox GOP primary debate was a total attempt to assassinate Trump's candidacy to what Fox can try when they have an agenda.

I hope it's equally successful, though.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Cingulate posted:

Brian Leitner tries an attack on free speech here: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2450866

I don't find it convincing, but one point he makes is that there ARE zones where free speech is restricted, and conversely, that there are special zones where it is not restricted - speech is restricted within educational places and courtrooms.

Free speech zones are unconstitutional bullshit trash and the last time they were used widespread was during the Bush administration for suppressing Iraq War protesters. Not exactly a glowing badge of recommendation.

Also if the winds blow the other way (which they will, someday) then you are going to get a lot of 5-4 decisions where too bad, reporting on the concentration camps and protesting Trumps holy crusade is sedition. That poo poo is happening in Australia right now and they don't have as strong of press protections as we do.

There is no way to restrict hate speech without it blowing back in your face. The best way is to stop it is to expose it and then destroy it in the court of public opinion. Of course the media has been poo poo at doing it this cycle but that's their fault and they should know better.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Anos posted:

Proof of everything she has been accused of. Must be a very long and extensive article.

It's not.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

So, they don't actually link emails directly, which pissed me off (a republican friend of mine who will probably vote johnson but is 100% on the "Livia did it" theme of the past 30 years of attacks on Hillary linked it, and he's a good friend so I want to read things and talk to him about things), but here's the pertinent bits of the article:

I tried cutting out the most hand-wavy bits, and most of the emails seem to be by her staff. But they reference things without direct quotes like it's common knowledge - of COURSE the staffers talked directly in emails about evading a subpoena, that's what people DO over official, recorded channels! It just makes me :ughh: that all this handwavey bullshit is enough to make good people genuinely hate Clinton.

It would be decent of them to quote the documents and try to provide some backing for the claims. It's pretty hard to validate the claims when they're absent from the article.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Every human being deserves respect. Even if if they are a little different.
Man I forgot about the ground zero mosque. Looking back, that more than anything really presaged the rise of Trump, it was basically more or less pure anger over the mere fact that muslims exist and live in the US.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Jygallax posted:

Man I forgot about the ground zero mosque. Looking back, that more than anything really presaged the rise of Trump, it was basically more or less pure anger over the mere fact that muslims exist and live in the US.

Everything the Tea Party did was basically a prequel to this man, but you can tell there is a yuge difference in scope between angry white people sitting on lawn chairs and someone who is an actual serious presidential candidate.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/LPDonovan/status/787407125702021120
More scales falling.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Even winning the 404 side-by-side. :allears:

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/404.php

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/404.php

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Feldegast42 posted:

There is no way to restrict hate speech without it blowing back in your face. The best way is to stop it is to expose it and then destroy it in the court of public opinion. Of course the media has been poo poo at doing it this cycle but that's their fault and they should know better.

The American public can't be trusted with understanding the intricacies of a political ideology they've seldom been exposed to. At least the Germans have a head start over us in that respect.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/787339975767494656

quote:

NEW: Here's what Clinton told Goldman Sachs about being Secretary of State after the very first Wikileaks release:

that silvio berlusconi is a big fat crybaby

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

So it's mixing the usual bullshit with the Clinton campaign recieving emails expressing that sentiment and lots of unquoted 'the emails show', which implies the bullshit is correct somehow.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

pacerhimself posted:

It would be decent of them to quote the documents and try to provide some backing for the claims. It's pretty hard to validate the claims when they're absent from the article.

It really would be. Unless they're not confident, trying to hide something, or are just doing a bit of arm-waving.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Every human being deserves respect. Even if if they are a little different.
Lol@ that WSJ article. Look! A guy said to Fox News that it was all corrupt!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well that's another leak that makes me like her better. :allears:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
You could do a lot worse than doing exactly the opposite of anything Neera Tanden suggests.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Silly 404 pages are entirely my poo poo. The GOP even has one: https://www.gop.com/404/ (how silly it is is up to you decide), though the url of the picture is this:
https://prod-static-ngop-pbl.s3.amazonaws.com/static/home/images/404_ermagherd.jpg

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nessus posted:

I think 1a. here is that Hillz has a GOTV operation of fine quality and skill while Trump's GOTV operation is more like Guns Out, Threaten Voters.

We don't know what effect this will have, but Obama's similarly-quality GOTV operation, versus what I believe was an inferior but not, like, "absent" Republican one, got him what, 3% up from the polls?

As an illustration of the difference in the power of the two campaign's ground game, since the 2012 election the Democratic Party of Florida has turned in 177,000 new voter registration forms while the Republican Party of Florida has turned in less than 13,000. Other groups collect registrations and you can self register, but Jesus, look at that gap.

Florida has three types of voting; absentee(has been dominated by the Republicans), in person early voting(usually favors Democrats), and in person election day voting. In 2012 the Democrats had the Republicans worried when at this point they had closed the pre-in person early voting gap down to a 3.9% advantage for Republicans. Right now the Republicans are down to a 1.9% advantage.

The biggest problem for the Republicans when it comes to the ground game is that they've essentially skipped all the prep work for November. Even if the Republicans initiate an epic get out the vote effort for November 8th, they're already looking hosed. Democrats registered new voters, they've been on their voters' asses to get an absentee ballot and vote even earlier, and all of that is a week before the period of early voting most favorable to them starts.

Oh and in 2008, Republicans had a 19 point lead in raw absentee ballot requests. This year the Republicans are up 5.

Muggsy
Mar 30, 2011

The Clinton Apology Tour would be a great username. :allears:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Feldegast42 posted:

Free speech zones are unconstitutional bullshit trash and the last time they were used widespread was during the Bush administration for suppressing Iraq War protesters. Not exactly a glowing badge of recommendation.

Also if the winds blow the other way (which they will, someday) then you are going to get a lot of 5-4 decisions where too bad, reporting on the concentration camps and protesting Trumps holy crusade is sedition. That poo poo is happening in Australia right now and they don't have as strong of press protections as we do.

I hate to tell you this but historically freedom of speech is kind of optional and pretending that actually using it to protect minorities now is gonna hinder them later kind of ignores everything America has been about for the past two hundred years.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

Both using php. shameful.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Until the police decide that saying Black Lives Matter is hate speech. Just like attacking a police officer is a hate crime in some places now.

When courts and legislature can control and add to the interpretation of a law/ruling it will backfire. Like saying "gently caress the Police' in those places would be considered hate speech at that point.

It's a real dumb loving idea.

There are states and cities where police officers are a part of that protected class for hate crimes, but gay people aren't...

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

From around the campaign trail: Newt and Rudy both promoting the "rigged election" narrative.

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/787675623179317248

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/787654464102629376

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/787662137267200000

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/787650600301367296

And gently caress everyone who finds zoo-going moonbase building Newt adorable. He'd happily be Redneck Goebbels.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/TeddyDavisCNN/status/787677876741169152
"If we can discredit one of them, we automatically discredit them all! :downs:"

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Johnson is WAY too high.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

JFK won in 1960? :psyduck:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

burlosconi is a giant fat bald bitch

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

CharlestheHammer posted:

I hate to tell you this but historically freedom of speech is kind of optional and pretending that actually using it to protect minorities now is gonna hinder them later kind of ignores everything America has been about for the past two hundred years.

America's past history of minority suppression is exactly why I think suppressing free speech is bad. The mechanisms are already there to turn it around a law meant to squelch the KKK to instead be used against BLM, for instance.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

punk rebel ecks posted:

Johnson is WAY too high.

Ignore Reuters/Ipsos state polls. They're the LAT of state polls. Why? They ask where the person they're polling lives, and once they get enough people to have a :airquote: reasonable :airquote: number for respondents for a state, they release the scraped numbers.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

iospace posted:

And gently caress Alternative Timeline Newt too! All of them!

Edit - yeah it was 1960. Killed during his term, LBJ won in 64 then Nixon in 68, Nixon reelected in 72.

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 16, 2016

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

punk rebel ecks posted:

Johnson is WAY too high.
Agreed, but what do you think about his poll numbers?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Hate speech laws will hinder minorities now, it's not a matter of those laws potentially becoming a problem in the future. Hate speech laws don't address the underlying imbalance of political and economic power that creates problems in the first place. They would just be one more tool given to people who have power, for the exact reason that they are the people in power. They decide how these tools are used and laws are enforced. If you don't think they would be used to target protestors and anyone else who doesn't fight for their rights in a polite enough way, you're ignoring both history and political reality.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

I'm trying to get that jacket

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

1960 was the closest presidential race in American history by popular vote. This election is not going to be nearly that close and therefore someone "stealing" it is totally outside the realm of possibility. Cmon Newt.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

iospace posted:

Think Newt is trying to say the Dems stole the election from Tricky Dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Is the GOP really have a positive reminiscence about Nixon?

• Locked thread