Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

So am I right in assuming that whatever killed Clariss is actually Savitar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

ded posted:

Cool a new season! Annnnnnnd the villan is... ANOTHER SPEEDSTER!! WOW!

OH! Also he hosed up the timeline, again!

C'mon guys you can do better than this.

I can't believe we're barely three seasons in and they've managed to cram in eight speedsters.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

JT Smiley posted:

I can't believe we're barely three seasons in and they've managed to cram in eight speedsters.

Every time a speedster gets their lightning, Barry's Mom dies (again)

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I hope Zoom returns and starts a speedster purge.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So serious talk: What timeline are we up to now? It's at least the fifth or sixth since the show started, right?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Going by the standard that every run of time travel creates its own timeline.

Timeline 1: Future Flash and Reverse-Flash.
Timeline 2: Reverse-Flash murders Barry-mom.
Timeline 3: Flash resets Central City from getting drowned by Weather Wizard's wave.
Timeline 4: Flash goes back in time to watch his mom get murdered.
Timeline 5: Flash goes back to stop Vandal Savage from vaporizing Central City.
Timeline 6: Flash goes back to talk to Eobard-Wells. Pied Piper becomes good guy.
Timeline 7: Flashpoint timeline.
Timeline 8: Flashpoint adjusted timeline where we're at now.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I thought it was hilarious that they go out of their way to show that Pied Piper was changed by timeline shenanigans, then he fucks off back to his planet and is never heard from after.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

greatn posted:

Well so did Cisco

They actually had Joe say "that's right around the corner" when the alert came up to cover that one.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Can we count how much legends of tomorrow fucks with the timeline too?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

Or they could conceivably not have Norah Allen living be something the effects the gender of Diggle's child. Or anything in a city 600 miles away. I understand the whole "butterfly effect" thing, but it's also not hard to suspend your disbelief that maybe it wouldn't radiate outward that far, that quickly. I mean, what? Does she later run over an ARGUS platoon killing Lyla?

It didn't have to affect other shows, given that it had only been ~15 years and the major event that it somehow changed was no metas, which apparently only largely occurred two years ago.

I thought reverse flash did a poo poo ton of time travel fuckery at the end of the first episode leading to that world. Hence the knowing, "You'll see".

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Guy A. Person posted:

TBF we don't know that. If it is Draco Malfoy he got across town pretty quick after all...

Maybe he's Savitar and playing a long game using Dr. Alchemy?

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
People thought the movie "Primer" was convoluted with it's time poo poo. Flash just doesn't give a gently caress.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

McTimmy posted:

Wait what

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah this happened during last year's crossover event, it was the big leadup to Legends of Tomorrow.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Scyantific posted:

Yeah this happened during last year's crossover event, it was the big leadup to Legends of Tomorrow.

I have no memory at all of this.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

McTimmy posted:

I don't think this created a new timeline since basically all he did was talk to a dying woman (which now that's unfortunately erased and his mom has the most frightening version of her death instead, nice going Bar')

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

I don't think this created a new timeline since basically all he did was talk to a dying woman (which now that's unfortunately erased and his mom has the most frightening version of her death instead, nice going Bar')

He didn't stick around in it but it still would have created one.

MiddleOne posted:

You must not have watched both sides.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah, probably not, I just listed it for absolute completeness.

Though I'm still probably missing something.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

I don't blame you. The Hawks were probably the most bland storyline.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Scyantific posted:

I don't blame you. The Hawks were probably the most bland storyline.

The scene where everyone died was pretty great though

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

You must not have watched both sides.

Arrow has this problem where it is just as bad as The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow but just not in an entertaining way.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

McTimmy posted:

Going by the standard that every run of time travel creates its own timeline.

Timeline 1: Future Flash and Reverse-Flash.
Timeline 2: Reverse-Flash murders Barry-mom.
Timeline 3: Flash resets Central City from getting drowned by Weather Wizard's wave.
Timeline 6: Flash goes back to talk to Eobard-Wells. Pied Piper becomes good guy.
Timeline 7: Flashpoint timeline.
Timeline 8: Flashpoint adjusted timeline where we're at now.
The way I see it, there are two kinds of time travel on this show.

One is going back like 24 hours or some small amount of time. You're not really going back to the past, so much as you're rewinding the clock. Even Wellsobard calls what Barry did in s1 a "time reversion" or something to that effect. Barry didn't create a whole new timeline, he just went back one day to do something different. This is why there aren't two Barrys running around when he stops the hurricane, or goes back when Vandal destroys Star City.

The other is legit time travel, going back to longer periods ago to change something. This is what we saw in s2e17: there were two Barrys, because our Barry was going back several months ago to a time that "solidified" as the show terms. This also includes going to when his mom died.

So the amount of timelines is more like:

Timeline 01: Newspaper timeline, where Eobard came from.
Timeline 02: Original show timeline, created when Eobard killed Nora.
Timeline 03: Created when Barry went back in time in S2 to talk with Wellsobard. No major changes apart from Hartley now being a good guy. Lasts until the s2 finale. Though the show doesn't really seem to acknowledge this as its own timeline, perhaps because there were no major changes?
Timeline 04: Flashpoint.
Timeline 05: Same timeline as 02+03, only with minor differences (Joe didn't tell Iris about her mother, Caitlin is developing meta-human powers, Cisco's brother was killed in a DUI crash, etc)

So if we don't count Timeline 03 since the show doesn't seem to acknowledge it, we have about 4 different timelines.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They should all create alternate timelines, but not all of them have altered the prime timeline that most episodes take place in.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

lotus circle posted:

The way I see it, there are two kinds of time travel on this show.

One is going back like 24 hours or some small amount of time. You're not really going back to the past, so much as you're rewinding the clock. Even Wellsobard calls what Barry did in s1 a "time reversion" or something to that effect. Barry didn't create a whole new timeline, he just went back one day to do something different. This is why there aren't two Barrys running around when he stops the hurricane, or goes back when Vandal destroys Star City.

The other is legit time travel, going back to longer periods ago to change something. This is what we saw in s2e17: there were two Barrys, because our Barry was going back several months ago to a time that "solidified" as the show terms. This also includes going to when his mom died.

So the amount of timelines is more like:

Timeline 01: Newspaper timeline, where Eobard came from.
Timeline 02: Original show timeline, created when Eobard killed Nora.
Timeline 03: Created when Barry went back in time in S2 to talk with Wellsobard. No major changes apart from Hartley now being a good guy. Lasts until the s2 finale. Though the show doesn't really seem to acknowledge this as its own timeline, perhaps because there were no major changes?
Timeline 04: Flashpoint.
Timeline 05: Same timeline as 02+03, only with minor differences (Joe didn't tell Iris about her mother, Caitlin is developing meta-human powers, Cisco's brother was killed in a DUI crash, etc)

So if we don't count Timeline 03 since the show doesn't seem to acknowledge it, we have about 4 different timelines.

Other timeline 5 "minor" changes - a guy working with Barry for over a year who is in charge of any meta investigation, Diggle's kid changing sex.
People getting powers that didn't have them and family members dying are not minor changes.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe Diggles kid was going to grow up and identify as a male anyway.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Mr Beens posted:

Other timeline 5 "minor" changes - a guy working with Barry for over a year who is in charge of any meta investigation, Diggle's kid changing sex.
People getting powers that didn't have them and family members dying are not minor changes.
Don't be pedantic man, my point is the new timeline is more or less the same as the s1+s2 timeline in terms of the overall events that happened.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

lotus circle posted:

Joe didn't tell Iris about her mother in the original timeline either, the difference there was Iris forgave him

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Azhais posted:

Joe didn't tell Iris about her mother in the original timeline either, the difference there was Iris forgave him
Yes he did. He told her early on what really happened, and Iris had a meeting with her mom because of it. The implication in the new timeline is Iris never was told her mom was alive before she died, and then Wally appeared which clued Iris in on the truth.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I did not like Barry's decisions at the end of last season, but I appreciate how the show refused to let him wriggle out of it.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Heh, I have gotten drunk with Draco Irl, nice to see he is getting work again.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I wonder how much of this is "I'm bored and want to work" and how much is "I need money" for Draco. Surely the Potter films gave him enough money to live on for a good little while, right?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Tom Felton has been in plenty of things since 2011 you guys, he's not destitute just because he's on a CW show.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

lotus circle posted:

Tom Felton has been in plenty of things since 2011 you guys, he's not destitute just because he's on a CW show.

It's definitely a cry for help though.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Bruceski posted:

Dr Alchemy isn't a speedster.

Barry Allen is the villain

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

It's definitely a cry for help though.

Maybe he just wants to "get with" Candice Patton

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

lotus circle posted:

Yes he did. He told her early on what really happened, and Iris had a meeting with her mom because of it. The implication in the new timeline is Iris never was told her mom was alive before she died, and then Wally appeared which clued Iris in on the truth.

My impression is he told her exactly at the same time as last timeline, just this time she reacted differently. I'm going to guess presumably in one timeline she won the underground guitar hero tournament against Diggle in the preceding commercial break, but in this timeline Diggle won that tournament because having a boy instead of a girl made him better at guitar hero for some reason. So she wasn't in as good a mood.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Maybe he just wants to "get with" Candice Patton

Who the heck wouldn't?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Gay dudes, racists, people in committed relationships, close family members.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

MiddleOne posted:

We're two episodes in and Barry has yet to kill anyone. Maybe things are changing.
He killed his own Mom in episode 1 of the season. Matricide has got to be worth at least double points on the Barry Allen murderboard. Sure, it was an assist, but we've always counted assists before. He's still right on-track.

Rhyno posted:

Clearly Barry broke the timeline a bit more than we realized.
Maybe it was the diner from the last episode of Quantum Leap. Basically, the place where time-travelers go when they've hosed up and need to be put in time-out for a bit.

Writh posted:

Until using his super speed makes him forget that anything ever happened.
According to the first episode of the season, this is exactly what should happen in a few months. Quicker, even, since Barry was taking it easy and not having to superhero full time in the pre-matricide timeline.

I really hope the show at least mentions it happening, just as a "See, we didn't forget our own rules!" from the writing room. Come on, it would be so easy. Just one little scene where someone asks what happened in the other timeline, and Barry realizes he can't recall any of it. I'd forgive a lot if they just remembered to bring that up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Robot Hobo posted:

According to the first episode of the season, this is exactly what should happen in a few months. Quicker, even, since Barry was taking it easy and not having to superhero full time in the pre-matricide timeline.

I really hope the show at least mentions it happening, just as a "See, we didn't forget our own rules!" from the writing room. Come on, it would be so easy. Just one little scene where someone asks what happened in the other timeline, and Barry realizes he can't recall any of it. I'd forgive a lot if they just remembered to bring that up again.

Bringing it up again would by definition violate that rule since they'd remember it.

• Locked thread