Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'd like to see that dev try it again tho. some of the areas are pretty good and it's possible that they could do it better if given another chance

They are, although their next game looks much faster paced so it's not quite the exact same idea. I would like to see a lords of the fallen done right, where you're still incredibly slow and methodical and have to commit to everything you do, but where the enemies are just as slow so that you don't have to constantly pray they don't hit you while you're swinging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Digirat posted:

They are, although their next game looks much faster paced so it's not quite the exact same idea. I would like to see a lords of the fallen done right, where you're still incredibly slow and methodical and have to commit to everything you do, but where the enemies are just as slow so that you don't have to constantly pray they don't hit you while you're swinging.

Well apparently there's a Lords of the Fallen 2 in development, by another studio though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sum Gai posted:

Lords of the Fallen gets a lot of poo poo, much of it deserved, but I enjoyed it more than Dark Souls 3. There's really nothing in DkS 3 like wandering around that snowy monastery at the beginning of the game, and it justified LotF's purchase far, far better than anything in Dark Souls 3 did.

Sorry about your broken brain

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
lords of the fallen was good and i liked the story.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Genocyber posted:

Well apparently there's a Lords of the Fallen 2 in development, by another studio though.

I'd understand this if it were major franchise but a no-name studio developing a sequel to a forgotten game with no redeeming qualities?

Like do they not understand the baggage the name comes with?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The LotF devs are doing a Dark Souls but with robots thing so I guess everyone has two subpar souls clones to look forwards to.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

The LotF devs are doing a Dark Souls but with robots thing so I guess everyone has two subpar souls clones to look forwards to.

The Surge actually looks pretty good from what they've shown, but there are a few issues even to that footage.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The boss where the only time you can damage it is to wait for it fire missiles then hide behind so it blows its own armour off, which it only does about every five minutes, shows me they've probably learned nothing from LotF.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You mean this video where the fight total takes less than four minutes? There are definitely some problems in that video, chief among them being that they still commit the biggest ARPG sin, enemies with zero windup attacks, but it looks like it could be decent if they don't gently caress everything up.

Orv fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Oct 16, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes, I'm sorry I didn't preface that five minutes with 'not literally five minutes', it still looks like a boring fight where you have to hang around doing nothing until it does a specific attack.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Fair enough. I didn't like Bloodborne because bosses were basically always on full tilt and I prefer something with a bit more rhythm, but I'll grant that there's rhythm and then there's lulls.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

It looks like it automatically does the attack once it hits max threat level and then does it frequently after that. Like, less than 20 seconds after the first time it does it again and then it only took it going down twice for it to be dead. I don't know how RNG dependent this is which can definitely cause it to suck but just off that video your complaint is ridiculously nitpicky.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Garrand posted:

It looks like it automatically does the attack once it hits max threat level and then does it frequently after that. Like, less than 20 seconds after the first time it does it again and then it only took it going down twice for it to be dead. I don't know how RNG dependent this is which can definitely cause it to suck but just off that video your complaint is ridiculously nitpicky.

Yeah the fact that the attack animations are still as bad as in LotF is the way bigger warning sign than a boss that happens to be an (optional) gimmick boss. Obligatory Nioh mention for an example of how non-gimmick non-mirror-match (Lady Maria, Phantoms) bosses can be really underwhelming if not outright bad even when the underlying game is perfect. I'll take a dozen Yorms, Old Heroes, Stormkings and Dragon Gods over Bloodletting Beasts and similar big monsters with no weaknesses.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 16, 2016

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Orv posted:

Fair enough. I didn't like Bloodborne because bosses were basically always on full tilt and I prefer something with a bit more rhythm, but I'll grant that there's rhythm and then there's lulls.

I mean, there is a rhythm, it just happens to be a much faster tempo than DS 1 and 2. 3 is pretty close though.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I meant in that Surge video, which is a bit stop and go in places. Bloodborne has a rhythm but it's just a bit faster than I wanted. DkS3 was great for most of its bosses in that regard, they were exactly the right level of stressful, even if I ended up not liking the game as a whole as much I liked previous entries. Pontiff was perfect, Abyss Watchers were fantastic, Dancer had a really cool flow to the fight.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Orv posted:

I meant in that Surge video, which is a bit stop and go in places. Bloodborne has a rhythm but it's just a bit faster than I wanted. DkS3 was great for most of its bosses in that regard, they were exactly the right level of stressful, even if I ended up not liking the game as a whole as much I liked previous entries. Pontiff was perfect, Abyss Watchers were fantastic, Dancer had a really cool flow to the fight.

I feel a bit conflicted on DS3 cause on the one hand it has like, a huge number of "big armored person with large weapon" boss fights and they all end up playing pretty similarly. One the other, it does them very, very well. And yeah, Dancer is probably the highlight of the game for me.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I thought it was funny that people level "lots of dudes in armor" against 2 but the dudes in armor in 2 tend to be way more varied than the 3 ones. That said, all the fights in 3 that aren't that are at least really interesting. Even Gwyndolin, who was a complete chump, was pretty neat.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

I'd understand this if it were major franchise but a no-name studio developing a sequel to a forgotten game with no redeeming qualities?

Like do they not understand the baggage the name comes with?

Bamco really wants a successful Souls-clone that they control completely, I guess. And the first game sold fairly well which is enough to convince execs I suppose.

Orv posted:

I thought it was funny that people level "lots of dudes in armor" against 2 but the dudes in armor in 2 tend to be way more varied than the 3 ones. That said, all the fights in 3 that aren't that are at least really interesting. Even Gwyndolin, who was a complete chump, was pretty neat.

People are really bad at formulating complaints.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Orv posted:

What? The armored dudes in 3 are all super different from each other. Gundyr, Vordt, Dancer, Dragonslayer Armour, does Pontiff count too? These are very distinct from each other in visual design and attacks and the overall feel of the fight.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I'm playing DS3 for the first time and I two questions. Why do I find very very few summons when I have ember when I could find countless summons in DS1 like 3 years into the game? Also was shield always mapped to left bumper? It seems like the shielding and attacking mechanics should be switched. You use shield and quick strikes much more often and I think they should be on the triggers. Can I map the controls on console? (I'm on xbox one)

Orv
May 4, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

What? The armored dudes in 3 are all super different from each other. Gundyr, Vordt, Dancer, Dragonslayer Armour, does Pontiff count too? These are very distinct from each other in visual design and attacks and the overall feel of the fight.

I'd actually say Vordt is the only significantly different one in that group. The others are all large bosses who apply heavy pressure with sliding/dashing attacks with sweeping AoEs and slam attacks. Which, if you want to get super pedantic, is basically every Souls armor boss, but in 3 especially those fights all felt extremely similar. It was part of why I only ever died to three bosses in my entire first run, they were all using very similar timing, tempo and hit boxes and once you clicked into their rhythm you can beat pretty much every humanoid boss in the game with the same tactics.

E: It was a really good, sort of exhausting tempo that I really enjoyed, and that combined with having played all the others meant that the fights were sort of mechanical dances of perfection that felt really good to pull off, but it was all very similar.

Orv fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 16, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011

Seltzer posted:

I'm playing DS3 for the first time and I two questions. Why do I find very very few summons when I have ember when I could find countless summons in DS1 like 3 years into the game? Also was shield always mapped to left bumper? It seems like the shielding and attacking mechanics should be switched. You use shield and quick strikes much more often and I think they should be on the triggers. Can I map the controls on console? (I'm on xbox one)

It's likely you're either below or above the typical SL for the area, and in addition there are weapon enhancement tiers for summoning, being at 1-3, 4-6, 7-9 and 10. It goes off the highest weapon in your inventory.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Orv posted:

It's likely you're either below or above the typical SL for the area, and in addition there are weapon enhancement tiers for summoning, being at 1-3, 4-6, 7-9 and 10. It goes off the highest weapon in your inventory.

I'm in the first area and I've leveled like 5 times. My weapon is +2, i'd assume that is normal for the area. Also my sign gets picked up a lot. Why did they add weapon level barriers? It just makes things more of a chore.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It was mostly intended as a griefing fix for PvP stuff. If your sign is getting picked up a bunch but you're not seeing many signs that's pretty weird and I couldn't really tell you. If you mean High Wall of Lothric when you say the first area there probably just aren't many people placing signs there. It's a pretty trivial area relatively speaking.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Orv posted:

It was mostly intended as a griefing fix for PvP stuff. If your sign is getting picked up a bunch but you're not seeing many signs that's pretty weird and I couldn't really tell you. If you mean High Wall of Lothric when you say the first area there probably just aren't many people placing signs there. It's a pretty trivial area relatively speaking.

Yea that's where I am. I remember a lot of people placing signs at the first fire in the undead burg though. I find the anti-griefing measure really lame, it makes things more complicated for finding summons and "griefing" should be part of dark souls. If someone went to the trouble of getting the red eye orb and leveling a crazy sword at SL 10 and invaded me in the burg I considered that part of the dark souls experience.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Personally I think Soul of Embers was an amazing fight that was beautifully realized and I'm glad it was so easy I got it in 1-2 tries so I didn't actually get angry at any of his moves. It was a huge nostalgia bait, but the location, the setup for the fight and everything was gorgeous and a great note to end on. It also kind of flipped Miyazaki's original explanation of the Gwyn fight in an interesting way, which was that you could use every tool at your disposal against him. If you don't remember that was an awesome fight, maybe you should watch some reaction videos on youtube and not be so dead inside.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Soul of Embers is an almost perfect boss fight from every angle, mechanics, presentation, music, everything. I don't actually lump it in with "guys in armor" because the Soul does so many different things other than just Swipe Attack 1 and AoE Spin 5. No matter how I feel about 3 after the fact, the Soul was an incredible ending in the moment.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
And they didn't apply the restrictions to estus or rings which can lead to hilarity like a guy at SL 20 with 7 (halved) estus+10, ring of favor+2, prisoner's chain, and hornet ring invading and demolishing noobs in the High Wall. So the anti-griefing measures are pretty half-assed.

Also, DeS>DS2>BB>DS1>DS3. This is objective fact. Anyone who disagrees is absolutely wrong. :colbert:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Orv posted:

large bosses who apply heavy pressure with sliding/dashing attacks with sweeping AoEs and slam attacks. Which, if you want to get super pedantic, is basically
everyones favorite bosses? If you're squinting / abstracting enough to say Champion and Pontiff feel the same then Manus and Ornstein and Artorias also fit that "mold", and those are usually considered the most praised DS1 fights. Seems like a no-brainer that they kept iterating on the thing people couldn't praise enough, and there's still plenty of the massively slow or flying bosses or the gimmicky swarm ones.

Of course there's always hope for the return of Bed of Chaos (static, frustrating puzzle boss), boring Firesage Demons or Centipede demon (obnoxious arena hazards) -alikes in the DLCs though. Wouldn't be FROM if they didnt let the franchise go out on a industrial strength dick move.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I will take a thousand billion Smelter Demons and Pontiff Sulyvahn's over having to perform WWE-style wrestling with the loving camera on Old Demon King or King of Storms. If they ever figure out how an action RPG camera is supposed to work then, sure, give me the gigantic bosses, but large humans in armor are otherwise the better option.

Orv
May 4, 2011

RoadCrewWorker posted:

everyones favorite bosses? If you're squinting / abstracting enough to say Champion and Pontiff feel the same then Manus and Ornstein and Artorias also fit that "mold", and those are usually considered the most praised DS1 fights. Seems like a no-brainer that they kept iterating on the thing people couldn't praise enough, and there's still plenty of the massively slow or flying bosses or the gimmicky swarm ones.

Of course there's always hope for the return of Bed of Chaos (static, frustrating puzzle boss), boring Firesage Demons or Centipede demon (obnoxious arena hazards) -alikes in the DLCs though. Wouldn't be FROM if they didnt let the franchise go out on a industrial strength dick move.

That's what I'm (apparently poorly) trying to get at. Champion and Pontiff do feel remarkably similar despite being obviously different. Many of the bosses in 3 apply extremely similar levels of pressure in their move sets even if their move sets differ, because I'm not actually saying that all bosses have the same move set (my bad there). A lot of the dudes in armor bosses in 2 had different levels of pressure, different patterns to their overall fight, whereas many of the 3 bosses are enter the arena, do not pass go, go directly to OH gently caress and continue that pace until the fights ends.

And I think that's part of it, at least for me. I posted, really pretty early on after release, that the fights in 3 were exhausting in a way that other Souls bosses hadn't been. They have just the right speed and aggression to them that I wasn't really looking for the cool patterns, or the cool tricks they did, or the neat lore things their attacks might imply, or anything like that. I was dodging as hard as could, focused like crazy while trying to stay as calm as possible, and after a while every non-gimmick fight just kind of blended into that core of focus.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Vermain posted:

I will take a thousand billion Smelter Demons and Pontiff Sulyvahn's over having to perform WWE-style wrestling with the loving camera on Old Demon King or King of Storms. If they ever figure out how an action RPG camera is supposed to work then, sure, give me the gigantic bosses, but large humans in armor are otherwise the better option.

They've managed those kinds of fights before. The camera works as well or better for Taurus, Stray Demon, Kalameet, Sinh, Manus, and so on as it does for Pontiff and Nameless King, but for some reason with Bloodborne it got worse and then kind of got better, but only kind of, for Dark Souls 3.

Sum Gai fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 16, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's more of a problem for Bloodborne because most of the huge bosses are also just covered in floppy physics poo poo or extraneous bits of flesh that throw the camera around.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Vermain posted:

I will take a thousand billion Smelter Demons.

hey whoa let's not say things we can't take back. if you've ever had the pleasure of completing the iron passage in the DS2 DLC, you wouldn't be so flippant about fighting more Smelter Demon copy/paste jobs

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

...! posted:

Also, DeS>DS2>BB>DS1>DS3. This is objective fact. Anyone who disagrees is absolutely wrong. :colbert:

*blows a raspberry*

My only valid, non subjective criticism with the souls games is

They never get the default music volume loud enough. It never comes out as prominently as it should.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Vermain posted:

It's called "not locking on." I'm not just taking the piss here, I think the camera works fine in those fights if you don't lock on (camera could still do to be improved, of course).

e: Oh, unless you're complaint is about having to move the camera manually instead of just locking on. Which I don't see as a bad thing but whatevs.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 16, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011

Freaking Crumbum posted:

hey whoa let's not say things we can't take back. if you've ever had the pleasure of completing the iron passage in the DS2 DLC, you wouldn't be so flippant about fighting more Smelter Demon copy/paste jobs

Blue Smelter Demon is the price we pay for the 2 DLCs being so good otherwise.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Genocyber posted:

It's called "not locking on." I'm not just taking the piss here, I think the camera works fine in those fights if you don't lock on (camera could still do to be improved, of course).

e: Oh, unless you're complaint is about having to move the camera manually instead of just locking on. Which I don't see as a bad thing but whatevs.

Even without locking on, I'd regularly get a camera full of Old Iron King's arm or King of Storms' neck, and having to angle it upwards and try to take a guess as to what type of swing Nameless King was about to do was infuriating. Visual clarity is of supreme importance in an action game, and I'm not getting it when 2/3rds of my screen is taken up by the inside of a dragon's throat.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Orv posted:

It's more of a problem for Bloodborne because most of the huge bosses are also just covered in floppy physics poo poo or extraneous bits of flesh that throw the camera around.

It's more than that, though- the camera pulls in and tilts up when you're next to Cleric Beast, for example, even though he's not really any bigger than Taurus and the camera handles Taurus just fine. It's not even consistent about it in Bloodborne- the camera can be an issue with Ludwig, but not nearly as often, and not because it's looking straight up at him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Guys do think Ashes of Ariandel will fix poise and all the other billion problems ds3 had?