Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Awww, looks like John Oliver left it though? Is the other dude good enough to carry it with guests? I wonder if it's worth getting in on anymore or if the backlogs are any good (since if it's satirical "news of the moment" they might be a bit stale now)

The backlogs are pretty funny, but it's gonna be dates as heck. And we don't know how Andy will be with guests. I suspect it won't be an issue, because it won't actually manifest. If you listen to a podcast with Andy Zaltzmann, the question is... do you like puns? If so, Good news!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Boy, that's really not how you pronounce Bodice...

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Midnight Voyager posted:

Boy, that's really not how you pronounce Bodice...
*smiling and speaking softly*
It doesn't matter. It is the Dollop.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mr Hootington posted:

*smiling and speaking softly*
It doesn't matter. It is the Dollop.

I'm usually ready for this! I just was not ready for bodice, in that I was so confused that I didn't realize what he was saying until I rolled back and listened again.

I'm sorry, Dave, my universal Dave translator failed.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
It's pretty great that it took Gareth this long to find out that the "about" was superfluous.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I've started listening to this and I love it, but I can't deal with the wide loudness range. I have to turn it up to hear their normal speaking voices over road noise in the car, but then it blows out my eardrums a second later when there is screaming and/or laughing. Is there some podcast app that would clip the loud parts so I don't have to scramble to my volume knob constantly?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
On the latest episode of My favorite Murderer they say they're in talks to make the crossover episodes a regular thing. Like, every three months the MFM girls will be guests on the Dollop and the Dollop boys will be guests on MFM.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

On the latest episode of My favorite Murderer they say they're in talks to make the crossover episodes a regular thing. Like, every three months the MFM girls will be guests on the Dollop and the Dollop boys will be guests on MFM.

is MFM any good? I wish The Dollop would cover topics like H.H. Holmes but last I heard MFM wasn't as humorous?

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Tir McDohl posted:

is MFM any good? I wish The Dollop would cover topics like H.H. Holmes but last I heard MFM wasn't as humorous?

i had to drop mfm when they both refused openly to research anything beyond reading a wikipedia page over the air or half remembering things they may have heard once and they spend 20+ mins at the start of every episode vamping and talking about their lives. it was very irritating to me

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i enjoyed the previous cross-over episode they did, although i don't have much desire to become a regular listener of the normal show

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

fun hater posted:

i had to drop mfm when they both refused openly to research anything beyond reading a wikipedia page over the air or half remembering things they may have heard once and they spend 20+ mins at the start of every episode vamping and talking about their lives. it was very irritating to me

I think MFM's pretty good, but I do agree with these points. They now openly acknowledge "skippers" who fast forward past their lengthy introductions to each episode (I was one myself for a while, but I've been able to tolerate them lately), and I've been really annoyed the couple of times they just made up facts about their stories because that's a loving insane thing to do and completely invalidates their discussion of that topic, but that's pretty uncommon and they've been doing better research to minimize their now-regular corrections segment. I think they've just about worked out the biggest kinks and are hitting their stride, and their Dollop crossovers have been excellent so far, I'd be thrilled if those occurred with regularity.

I'd say listen to MFM's recent Podfest episode, Dave's a guest and all three stories are interesting and well-told, then follow the show from there if you like it since going through the archives is really hit-or-miss.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
if MFM is just stories they have heard and hear say I will pass. I figured they would get better and actually research.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

fun hater posted:

100% the same for me, I tried old episodes and new ones and random ones and every single time they were just like, "Oh yeah, isn't he the guy who ______? Or maybe not. Uhh I don't know. Anyway it was for sure super creepy!"

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

a podcast about murders seems kind of "niche" to me, but uh best of luck to them

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

HolePisser1982 posted:

a podcast about murders seems kind of "niche" to me, but uh best of luck to them

They're the number 9 most popular podcast on iTunes right now, number one most popular on the comedy charts.

Keep on smuggin', dude.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

rotinaj posted:

They're the number 9 most popular podcast on iTunes right now, number one most popular on the comedy charts.

Keep on smuggin', dude.

oh, the podcast sounds really good then

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's good. I don't usually like the guest episodes as much as the solo ones but the MFM girls vibe really well with Dave and Gareth.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

HolePisser1982 posted:

oh, the podcast sounds really good then

You can dismiss it all you want, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it/they doesn't need you to be a fan.

If you don't like it, you don't like it, but don't try to say that it's "too niche" or some poo poo.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I liked the gals on the last dollop they were on, but for some reason this time they got on my nerves.. I don't know if its because they kept assisting in derailing the show or what. This really felt like a smollop they ran too too long.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Now that's a twist ending!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
MFM is alright and I've enjoyed the hosts' guest spots on Dollop, but my current go-to jokey murder podcast is The Last Podcast on the Left, which generally goes into much more detail with their subjects and seems to research stuff a good deal more. They also cover stuff like conspiracy theories and paranormal happenings, so it's not just murder every week if that isn't your thing.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

But when is the next series of the Cofishionner?

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Forktoss posted:

MFM is alright and I've enjoyed the hosts' guest spots on Dollop, but my current go-to jokey murder podcast is The Last Podcast on the Left, which generally goes into much more detail with their subjects and seems to research stuff a good deal more. They also cover stuff like conspiracy theories and paranormal happenings, so it's not just murder every week if that isn't your thing.

i love this podcast, mainly for the contrast between how loving completely insane the hosts are (two of three identify as chaos magicians) and how much actual accurate research and skepticism (unless it involves aliens or government mind control experiments in which case its ALL REAL all the time) gets brought to it.

dougdougdougdoug
Jun 10, 2016

Guy Mann posted:

https://www.damninteresting.com/a-special-note-to-the-writers-at-the-dollop/

Do yourself a favor and don't look up any of Dave and Gary's responses unless you want to think way less of them as professional comedians and people, though.

That doesn't take into account the legal implications. When accused of a crime in public, your answer then has to be very carefully chosen. The Dollop's answer was clearly drafted by a lawyer.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
For the latest podcast, I'm just going to leave this link here.

It's the best explanation I could find without pics.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I liked the gals on the last dollop they were on, but for some reason this time they got on my nerves.. I don't know if its because they kept assisting in derailing the show or what. This really felt like a smollop they ran too too long.
I actually thought they were way more into it in this episode and I liked it more even though the Otto story was far stranger

The first time it was like it was like one gary and three daves and this time it was one dave and three garys which is how it should be

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm a little surprised neither of them happened to know the word for "thing you put on an ox to attach a plow to it." I didn't think a yoke was that obscure.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Midnight Voyager posted:

I'm a little surprised neither of them happened to know the word for "thing you put on an ox to attach a plow to it." I didn't think a yoke was that obscure.

it's the running theme of the podcast that these dudes don't know a lot of words and the words they do know they don't know how to pronounce. add another word to the list.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I've stayed with The Dollop through a lot of things, but this might be the last straw. It's a hard G Dave. Don't give me none of that soft G bullshit.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I've stayed with The Dollop through a lot of things, but this might be the last straw. It's a hard G Dave. Don't give me none of that soft G bullshit.

Aw, hell. Don't tell me he's mispronouncing "gif". :ohdear:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

prefect posted:

Aw, hell. Don't tell me he's mispronouncing "gif". :ohdear:

He is, the bastard.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Subsequent.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does anybody know where I can download the plagiarized episodes?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Does anybody know where I can download the plagiarized episodes?

They took them down?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

uPen posted:

They took them down?

They aren't on iTunes

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
I think you can find some of them on the dollop.net

e.g. Michael Larson Press Your Luck Scandal
http://thedollop.net/wp/episode-55-smollop/
http://traffic.libsyn.com/thedollop/Michael_Larson.mp3

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Improv isn't their strong suit, but boy was it poor in the Ned Kelly episode. They really need a third person on the live shows to mix it up.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Tichborne episode might be one of their best but it's hard not to enjoy a story about Truth Butts

arthur orton should've hooked up with the chameleon

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Red_Museum posted:

I think you can find some of them on the dollop.net

e.g. Michael Larson Press Your Luck Scandal
http://thedollop.net/wp/episode-55-smollop/
http://traffic.libsyn.com/thedollop/Michael_Larson.mp3

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Quest For Glory II posted:

The Tichborne episode might be one of their best but it's hard not to enjoy a story about Truth Butts

Seriously, that was peak Dollop. I checked my phone after a little over an hour and said "How the hell is this only halfway over? Where else can this story go?"

And that was before we even got the world's worst mother/"son" reunion.