Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I still kinda wanna see a prosecutor get a penalty someday. It'd actually be neat if a prosecutor in a later game was kinda sloppy in a frenzied way, and sometimes netted themselves penalties as a result, but their boldness also made them difficult to counter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ROFL Octopus posted:

I haven't played it yet, is it worse than 4-3, where it's literally impossible for the defendant to have committed the crime?

Not only is it literally impossible, the victim isn't even dead, shows up to say as much, and even points out that the suspect didn't commit a crime. They still get found guilty if you lose, though.

That's a major spoiler, but the short of it is that it's really dumb.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm currently on case 5 part deux just after the queen's incredibly dumb makeover and Rayfa's talking about dingbat dogs again, and i want to make a few predictions/speculate:

So apparently all it takes to pass as an old woman is to not use lipstick and smile with a wide mouth. They're not exactly being subtle about Nayna actually being Amara what with the "she was like a mother to me" and come on, Rayfa being adopted seems like the most standard twist this game can pull.

They're also not exactly being subtle about Dhurke currently being spirit channeled, they laid all the groundwork in the third case. Dhurke enters tomb, gets dizzy, and his memory gaplessly resumes standing over a dead body? Yeah, head priest told us that a channeling basically resumes your conscious right after your death/last channeling. I kind of immediately assumed Maya was currently channeling him afer he told us what happened, but then the game said Maya's just chilling in the hospital or something. I was confused for a while, but now i'm changing gears to Amara actually channeling him, though i'm not sure about the hair color thing since it usually doesn't change during channeling. Dhurke said as much when he told Apollo "man this upcoming trial is gonna be shocking for you also i'll be gone soon".
Either way Dhurke's dead af and probably currently in an air-conditioned sarcophagus.

I'm also gonna call that Ga'ran actually has 0 spiritual power, which is why Amara is still alive and held captive (to sub in for her) and we'll eventually prove it with the picture that Ahlbi took. This is also why she's so hot for the founder's orb. I mean, it's p. obvious that she's the culprit in probably both cases but at least the fire that "killed" Amara, since she was justice minister with access to the secret police or whatever at that time, and basically just staged a sneaky coup. But AA games haven't been subtle about their antagonists in forever, so whatevs.

This isn't related to how the case will shake out since i have no idea how it will work out, but it's also kinda obvious that we'll be eventually channeling Apollo's father. Boy howdy did they drill it in that you need a face and name, and luckily Apollo has literally the single existant picture of his father in his possession. He'll probably testify who started the fire decades ago?

I can see the broad outlines already, i'll just have to guess what outlandish nonsequitur AA logic the game expects me to string together to tie it all up.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Unlike the bonus case of the last game, one of the best in the series, I didn't like this one. (Sorry if a lot is being said I'm currently standing in line and posting this pretty fast while I remember.)

Normally I'd be loving stoked to send a steampunk to prison, but this was a weird one where the villain and the mystery were both unsatisfying. The mystery was kind of boring and easy, and as for the villain, you just feel bad for him. Also I don't quite get how this was the right way to exact their goal.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The DLC villain is pretty silly, in hindsight. "I won't let the guy who has to relive the day of his sister's murder every day have a happy life!"

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

^

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The DLC villain is pretty silly, in hindsight. "I won't let the guy who has to relive the day of his sister's murder every day have a happy life!"

It's for this poo poo that I don't feel bad for the villain. He's in the Yanni Yogi and Acro league but they all still committed murder in cold blood and framed an innocent person for it.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

HenryEx posted:

I'm currently on case 5 part deux just after the queen's incredibly dumb makeover and Rayfa's talking about dingbat dogs again, and i want to make a few predictions/speculate:

So apparently all it takes to pass as an old woman is to not use lipstick and smile with a wide mouth. They're not exactly being subtle about Nayna actually being Amara what with the "she was like a mother to me" and come on, Rayfa being adopted seems like the most standard twist this game can pull.

They're also not exactly being subtle about Dhurke currently being spirit channeled, they laid all the groundwork in the third case. Dhurke enters tomb, gets dizzy, and his memory gaplessly resumes standing over a dead body? Yeah, head priest told us that a channeling basically resumes your conscious right after your death/last channeling. I kind of immediately assumed Maya was currently channeling him afer he told us what happened, but then the game said Maya's just chilling in the hospital or something. I was confused for a while, but now i'm changing gears to Amara actually channeling him, though i'm not sure about the hair color thing since it usually doesn't change during channeling. Dhurke said as much when he told Apollo "man this upcoming trial is gonna be shocking for you also i'll be gone soon".
Either way Dhurke's dead af and probably currently in an air-conditioned sarcophagus.

I'm also gonna call that Ga'ran actually has 0 spiritual power, which is why Amara is still alive and held captive (to sub in for her) and we'll eventually prove it with the picture that Ahlbi took. This is also why she's so hot for the founder's orb. I mean, it's p. obvious that she's the culprit in probably both cases but at least the fire that "killed" Amara, since she was justice minister with access to the secret police or whatever at that time, and basically just staged a sneaky coup. But AA games haven't been subtle about their antagonists in forever, so whatevs.

This isn't related to how the case will shake out since i have no idea how it will work out, but it's also kinda obvious that we'll be eventually channeling Apollo's father. Boy howdy did they drill it in that you need a face and name, and luckily Apollo has literally the single existant picture of his father in his possession. He'll probably testify who started the fire decades ago?

I can see the broad outlines already, i'll just have to guess what outlandish nonsequitur AA logic the game expects me to string together to tie it all up.

Dont read this until youre done

man youre smart, dude. Except the part where they were too lazy to incorporate a channeling of apollo's dad

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So...

I'm midway through Case 5.

What the hell is with everyone not telling Apollo what's up with his family? First, Dhurke makes a joke about how he and his half-sister Trucy should get hitched, which Trucy actually seems to get into and Apollo isn't too resistant about, then Apollo tells Sarge that his mother has been missing since he was a baby and he doesn't know whether she's alive or dead.

Apollo's boss knows that A. his adopted daughter and Apollo are siblings and B. who their real mother is. It is so, so messed up that this is still a secret, given how close Trucy and Apollo are. Is Phoenix really going to risk his beloved daughter ending up committing accidental incest because he kept this secret too long?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That's not going to happen because Betty is going to confess her love to Trucy and they'll become wife and wife magicians.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I really don't see Apollo feeling anything like that towards Trucy, it seems he regards her as a weird little sister, which is good to brace for the inevitable truth. Hell even Apollo and Athena seem to just see each other as brother and sister, PLUS Apollo has a mile of emotional baggage to deal with. (This series has been all about making GBS threads on the guy since he was introduced, remember)

If you want the truth (small spoiler) it doesn't come up in this game save for a post-credits scene where Lamiroir and Nick agree that it's time to tell Trucy and Apollo everything. Yes it's incredibly hosed up that by next game it will be three years they've been withholding this and... well I don't really have a defense.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

To be fair on Dhurke I don't think he knows. So it's all on Phoenix.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Patter Song posted:

Is Phoenix really going to risk his beloved daughter ending up committing accidental incest because he kept this secret too long?

Blame Thalassa, not Phoenix. He's the one that kept pushing for her to tell them.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Blame Thalassa, not Phoenix. He's the one that kept pushing for her to tell them.

Wasn't the reason he didn't tell was because she was regaining her eyesight and memories? They're definitely both at fault.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I like how the DLC case is completely transparent about telling Athena to go away every time she appears.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Waffleman_ posted:

I like how the DLC case is completely transparent about telling Athena to go away every time she appears.

I didn't mind so much because it was a very intentional nostalgia episode. However, she could have just been on vacation or something.

However, for a nostalgia episode, it REALLY could have USED some GUMSHOE I am STILL MAD HE IS GONE

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
The next game will have Gumshoe in a critical role in every case

he still never shows up onscreen

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gumshoe is the victim of 7-1.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'll forgive them if they let him and Edgeworth get married :colbert:.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Waffleman_ posted:

Gumshoe is the victim of 7-1.

I still get night sweats that they used him instead of Fullbright....

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Pick posted:

But then who will Maggey and Nick get married to? :ohdear:

Regarding Phoenix telling Apollo and Trucy the truth about their mother: I think it's unfair to blame him squarely for keeping it a secret because Thalassa asked him to do so. It's ultimately her story to tell them, not Phoenix's, and I always took him not telling them sooner as respecting Thalassa's request.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

she was shot in the head with a gun though

it's understandable that her brain would be a little hosed up

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Nick can marry Maya now imho, she's old enough it doesn't strike me as creepy any more.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It's like they wrote it for me

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Pick posted:

I didn't mind so much because it was a very intentional nostalgia episode. However, she could have just been on vacation or something.

However, for a nostalgia episode, it REALLY could have USED some GUMSHOE I am STILL MAD HE IS GONE

It feels like Gumshoe should have been there instead of Ema. Her testimony in the first day felt like a Gumshoe testimony.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Pick posted:

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Pick posted:

...But Edgeworth is married to The Truth. I'm sorry you weren't invited. :colbert:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Regarding Phoenix telling Apollo and Trucy the truth about their mother: I think it's unfair to blame him squarely for keeping it a secret because Thalassa asked him to do so. It's ultimately her story to tell them, not Phoenix's, and I always took him not telling them sooner as respecting Thalassa's request.

:yeah:

That being said, I can't see why she won't let him just say "Thalassa Gramarye is your mother" to both of them. It's not like Lamroir is using that name anymore.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I really hope Gumshoe and Maggey are a thing now.

Also, that Gumshoe is now Chief Detective or something down at the station. Maybe even police chief by now, given that it's been a decade since we've seen him.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I like almost all the female characters but Maggey sucks. Oh and it's so weird to see Maya next to Athena, says a lot about the trajectory of the art direction.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I always thought Gumshoe liking her was really weird. When I played case 2-1, I thought Gumshoe just thought she had a lot of potential and wanted to mentor her, not that he had a crush on her. Dude's in his mid 30s or something and she was only about 20. Get someone your own age, man.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
All joking aside, Edgeworth needs to marry his girlfriend, Wendy Oldbag.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Pick posted:

I still get night sweats that they used him instead of Fullbright....

Man, imagine if they had used older Gumshoe as the main detective in Dual Destinies, complete with the twist of him being the Phantom and the real one having been murdered a year earlier. The reactions would be...interesting and worth seeing, as much as I wouldn't want to see that happen to Gumshoe.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ometeotl posted:

Man, imagine if they had used older Gumshoe as the main detective in Dual Destinies, complete with the twist of him being the Phantom and the real one having been murdered a year earlier. The reactions would be...interesting and worth seeing, as much as I wouldn't want to see that happen to Gumshoe.

I would cry

They'd never do that to me

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I would have screamed.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That would have made me angrier than AA4 did.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
In AA7 you'll get to visit the precinct as Athena, and if you examine the Chief of Detectives, he'll say "Woah, Phoenix Wright retook the bar exam and got his badge back? No one told me, pal!" and someone will shout at him to quit dicking around on the internet. Gumshoe will not be mentioned by name.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That sounds remarkably plausible. :negative:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I have no problem with that honestly. I love the guy, but I don't feel like we need to see everyone from the old trilogy come back. A little nod that tells us he's fine is good for me.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
He's my favorite character in the series, so I'd agree except he's the one I really wanted to see again. I never really cared one way or another for Larry, Pearl, or god forbid Payne or Klavier.

I am incredibly happy that he is in the AAI series though, because I frankly love both of those games. And yes, that includes the final case of AAI-1, because it finally let you empathize with how hard it is to be a prosecutor against a defense using PW tactics. And when he finally goes down it feels so loving amazing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I just want to see Franziska and Adrian happy together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Waffleman_ posted:

I just want to see Franziska and Adrian happy together.

Agreed.