Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Anyone ever flip ~hyped~ bourbon on the secondary market? Was it worth it?

I'm aware that doing so would make me that guy, but it could help with the credit card spend I need to hit to reach for the promotion as well as netting me some money on the other side to help kill student loans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
are they loving with the rittenhouse formula or something? because i remember it used to be really hard to find and it was good, but now it's everywhere and it sucks

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

JewKiller 3000 posted:

are they loving with the rittenhouse formula or something? because i remember it used to be really hard to find and it was good, but now it's everywhere and it sucks

It went from being distilled at Brown-Forman(DSP-354) to Heaven Hill (DSP-1) some years ago, so maybe that? I haven't had the newer stuff, always found the former a solid buy.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

JewKiller 3000 posted:

Yes. The HH one was superior imo, but at the end of the day, even the HH is still nothing more than a cheap 100 proof rye.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
My Scottish colleagues have introduced me to the world of whisky with a bottle of Glenmorangie 10, Dalwhinnie 12 and Laphroaig 10.

Whisky is actually really, really good.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Assuming I'm not going to infuse my own, what's the least bad cinnamon whiskey? Or should I just get whatever's cheapest? We've been making apple cinnamon hot toddies, and we're almost out of Evan Williams fire.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
seriously throw a cinnamon stick in a bottle of evan. it couldnt be easier. all the shelf stuff is sugary trash

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

yeah just infuse your own. And if the oak flavor isn't an important component to enjoying your hot toddies, you could use some apple pie moonshine. I had some coffee with apple pie moonshine at a party last fall and it was pretty great.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

cryme posted:

seriously throw a cinnamon stick in a bottle of evan. it couldnt be easier. all the shelf stuff is sugary trash

I hadn't thought about being able to just toss it in and pull it out with a cinnamon stick rather than using cheesecloth and stuff. I'll buy another bottle of benchmark (which has taken the position of my favorite cheap whiskey) and put a cinnamon stick in there.

How do I pull it out afterwards? Tongs wouldn't fit. Would chopsticks work? Or would I need a mason jar?

Apple pie moonshine is a no go. We got moonshine this summer and she threw up five times.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
You drink the whole bottle then eat the worm cinnamon stick.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I hadn't thought about being able to just toss it in and pull it out with a cinnamon stick rather than using cheesecloth and stuff. I'll buy another bottle of benchmark (which has taken the position of my favorite cheap whiskey) and put a cinnamon stick in there.

How do I pull it out afterwards? Tongs wouldn't fit. Would chopsticks work? Or would I need a mason jar?

Apple pie moonshine is a no go. We got moonshine this summer and she threw up five times.

Leave it in, tie floss/fishing line to it, use a mason jar, whatever

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Couldn't you just turn the bottle upside down? What am I missing here? Whiskey gone, upend bottle to retrieve stick, easy peasy.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Inspector 34 posted:

Couldn't you just turn the bottle upside down? What am I missing here? Whiskey gone, upend bottle to retrieve stick, easy peasy.

Unless you drink the entire bottle in one go you want to take the cinnamon out so it doesn't over-infuse.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Flappy Bert posted:

Unless you drink the entire bottle in one go you want to take the cinnamon out so it doesn't over-infuse.

Or... :kingsley:

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Ah, ok that makes sense. How quickly would that happen with something like cinnamon? Bottles of cheap bourbon do not typically last very long in my cabinet, but I guess if it was something infused then I probably wouldn't use it as frequently.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Inspector 34 posted:

Ah, ok that makes sense. How quickly would that happen with something like cinnamon?

I think you are on the frontier. Before today I had never heard of infusing cinnamon and bourbon at home. There is, or was, a thread on infusing vodka and I bet they would be a lot more help. I've seen cinnamon whiskey/liquor at the store but always dismissed it.

I did this week have rum that was cinnamon infused and it was interesting. I'm not really a cinnamon fan and it took some getting used to. I don't hate it but I wouldn't buy it again.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
You could tie some string to the cinnamon stick and leave the string hanging out of the bottle so you can just pull it out whenever.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I've done whiskey infusions (usually coffee+vanilla bean) and mason jars are the way to go. They're cheap as hell.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Inspector 34 posted:

Ah, ok that makes sense. How quickly would that happen with something like cinnamon? Bottles of cheap bourbon do not typically last very long in my cabinet, but I guess if it was something infused then I probably wouldn't use it as frequently.

The old infusion thread (which isn't totally dead btw) suggests that you should go for one stick and taste it every day or so, because depending on how good the stick you have is it can go pretty fast, a day or two on the really low end.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Aberlour A'Bunadh Cask 55 (2016) is on sale for £35 today down from £45.

Really wanted to get a 3cl sample before splashing the cash - I know you guys rated it - shall I bite the bullet???

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004CY91AA/?tag=ho01f-21

Jamsta fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 14, 2016

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Do it. For 35 pounds, you won't regret it. I haven't had that particular cask, and they are variable, but always in good directions.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

^^ cheers!

It appears to be 47 and 49, random... hmm spin the bottle time!

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Do always buy cheap Abelour. I've got a batch 41 I'm still working on and it's great.

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 15, 2016

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

Still working on batch 47, but thinking of grabbing another bottle before I finish it to compare.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Had another glass of Nikka Coffey Malt last night and the immaturity of it is just so off-putting. It's like a cheap blend. I get some very nice spice and fruit tones but the roughness of the spirit just completely kills it.

I honestly don't understand how people can use it as an example of a "good" NAS whisky.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I haven't been a fan of Nikka anything since Anchor first started importing it to the US. It's just not a good portfolio compared to the Suntory offerings. If people want good NAS whisky, buy Compass Box anything.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
The coffey grain isn't that bad but it definitely isn't good for the price it demands in the states. I still like the hibiki because I liked it more with a generous amount of soda water even before they switched to NAS.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

The coffey grain isn't that bad but it definitely isn't good for the price it demands in the states.

Agreed, and not just the states but anywhere else. It's just cheaply produced (column still!) and very young whisky, which would be fine if they didn't charge you out of the rear end for it.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

spankmeister posted:

Agreed, and not just the states but anywhere else. It's just cheaply produced (column still!) and very young whisky, which would be fine if they didn't charge you out of the rear end for it.

I had a bottle. Massively perfumed on the nose but pretty harsh on the palate from being so young. Japanese whisky is 'the thing' so it will find buyers but I won't be buying another.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

biglads posted:

I had a bottle. Massively perfumed on the nose but pretty harsh on the palate from being so young. Japanese whisky is 'the thing' so it will find buyers but I won't be buying another.

A co-worker gave me half a bottle because she hated it.

In other news, with the pound sterling dropping like a brick, sites like Master of Malt are now actually cheaper in some cases than domestic shops. So my whisky collection is growing rapidly. :D

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

The coffey grain isn't that bad but it definitely isn't good for the price it demands in the states. I still like the hibiki because I liked it more with a generous amount of soda water even before they switched to NAS.

Is all Hibiki NAS now? I swear I saw Hibiki 12 on the shelf just today.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Vox Nihili posted:

Is all Hibiki NAS now? I swear I saw Hibiki 12 on the shelf just today.

Hibiki japanese harmony is the NAS replacement for the 12. You might still be able to find some 12 that are older stock, but most places are stocking the NAS version now. The box is different, but the bottle is basically the same.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

Hibiki japanese harmony is the NAS replacement for the 12. You might still be able to find some 12 that are older stock, but most places are stocking the NAS version now. The box is different, but the bottle is basically the same.

Yeah, turns out the 12 year bottles I saw were priced at $100 anyway. Yeesh.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

spankmeister posted:

A co-worker gave me half a bottle because she hated it.

In other news, with the pound sterling dropping like a brick, sites like Master of Malt are now actually cheaper in some cases than domestic shops. So my whisky collection is growing rapidly. :D

Wish I could take advantage of it. Canadian dollar's been taking a pounding ever since oil cratered (figures. Finally when I have money to go on vacation...).

Speaking of, I'm heading to the UK in about a week. I contacted my cousin in England, and it turns out he's only booked a flight up and down from Glasgow that gives us about 8-10 hours in the city. I took some advice and asked him to book the Malt Master tour at Glengoyne (I don't remember if it was in this thread or the thread I started in T&T). Contrary to the site, he said he called and that we don't need a booking for three people, so here's hoping he's right.

In the meantime, are there any other whisky-based events or points of interest that I should check out while in London? I'm not looking for anything specifically (other than maybe if there's a bar with a decent collection). Just some extra ideas on what to check out while on vacation.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

mojo1701a posted:

In the meantime, are there any other whisky-based events or points of interest that I should check out while in London? I'm not looking for anything specifically (other than maybe if there's a bar with a decent collection). Just some extra ideas on what to check out while on vacation.

It might be worth visiting the Cadenhead's shop in Marylebone. There's a good chance you'll get to taste a Springbank or three.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Recommend me a bottle. I'm in dallas Texas, and I just remembered my love of whiskey that is heavy on the wood. And I mean heavy. Garrison brothers and balcones single malt in one night makes me want to hunt that style down. What do you guys recommend? Bonus if it isn't at balcones or garrison bros prices.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Crunkjuice posted:

Recommend me a bottle. I'm in dallas Texas, and I just remembered my love of whiskey that is heavy on the wood. And I mean heavy. Garrison brothers and balcones single malt in one night makes me want to hunt that style down. What do you guys recommend? Bonus if it isn't at balcones or garrison bros prices.

Stagg Jr., Booker's, Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, and Elijah Craig are oak bombs.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Glenlivet 15 French Oak Reserve is good

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Been drinking WT rye and it is 'thinner' than I remember, disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Hey goons should i go drink Jim Beam with a girl or should i bring a bottle of Old Grandad 114?