Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

rscott posted:

So is your objection to the characteristication of fascism as an ideology that doesn't want to murder everyone not like them or what?
Haha, yeah. Deffo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Do we actually have to let 6 million Muslims or Mexicans or LGBT folk die before we decide that maybe enabling fascists isn't such a great idea

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

She isn't a fascist. She isn't even the same liberal in the sense her husband was.

You can start with the people who are openly calling for the harm of American citizens, in particular those who are minorities. There are far more rigorous definitions, of course. But this already starts to clearly separate Donald Trump from the rest of the cowards in the GOP.

That's not a very good definition if you actually want to make that sort of thought illegal tbh. Paul Ryan's budget would do material and terrible harm to minority communities by removing spending on programs that they rely on. Is he a fascist because his policy would do damage to human lives? Or are you only a fascist if you come out and say it?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it should honestly be illegal to state untruths from a position of authority.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

RuanGacho posted:

Good attention to detail, with the small hands.

If I recall correctly they patched that in in a later build.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

FactsAreUseless posted:

Are you sure? Because a large percentage of the American people seem to think so. How sure are you that the National Anti-Fascist Search Committee only agrees with your opinions?

He's going to hire the best Judges, yuuge judges. More than you can imagine. The greatest.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Poe Poe's Bizzare Polticial Adventure is the title for this year.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

rscott posted:

Do we actually have to let 6 million Muslims or Mexicans or LGBT folk die before we decide that maybe enabling fascists isn't such a great idea
This guy's really got my number, and that number is 6 million, the number of minorities I want to kill.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Didn't Umberto Eco say that Facism isn't neccesarily even an ideology? It's more a grab bag of different terrible ideas cobbled together to make a terrible minority disenfranchising machine.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Penisaurus Sex posted:

That's not a very good definition if you actually want to make that sort of thought illegal tbh. Paul Ryan's budget would do material and terrible harm to minority communities by removing spending on programs that they rely on. Is he a fascist because his policy would do damage to human lives? Or are you only a fascist if you come out and say it?

He's a fascist for endorsing one to be president of the united states, hth

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I don't even know what a fascist is. Like what is the definition of a fascist and fascism?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Look, we don't have to dismantle the first amendment in order to protect it. That's silly. What we really need is a new War on Bad Thoughts. Bad Thoughts are contained in people and if we just get rid of all of the people who have these bad thoughts we can have the freest speech there is! /s

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Paul Ryan hasn't said a lot of the things Trump said, and it's dangerous thinking that those two are alike in any sense. If we can't even get around arguing the differences between the kind of racism that Lee Atwater promoted and the kind Trump is promoting, we're very poorly equipped in our definitions.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

like, for instance, when trump says refugees are a trojan horse he has to immediately follow that up by stating that 98 percent of syrian refugees are women, children, or elderly and that they go through a 2 year long vetting process or he'd be arrested.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

As Cyrus would have wanted.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

like, for instance, when trump says refugees are a trojan horse he has to immediately follow that up by stating that 98 percent of syrian refugees are women, children, or elderly and that they go through a 2 year long vetting process or he'd be arrested.
I think the Surgeon General should be the ultimate arbiter of truth, and everyone should have to say his warnings.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Sadly you can't really ban fascism. You could, I suppose, make card carrying members of the Fascist Party or whatever ineligible for office but since calling yourself a fascist is a surefire way to not get elected, it would be a pretty token gesture. Even words like 'liberal' or 'conservative' have mobile goal posts that are dependent on the position of the observer. You could try to ban specific platforms, but that's pretty dangerous too; you see what happens when a politician takes a wet fart in an elevator, imagine what would happen to a campaign could be declared NULL AND VOID for having a specific platform. Which, again, platforms aren't really codified either.

The only way to keep a fascist out of power is by educating the people. That, and the Electoral College. Or at least, that's what it's supposed to do.

EDIT: Are you serious? The entire election process, at least the modern election process, is a slow six month argument in which both candidates try to argue their opponent's platform would cause material harm to one demographic or another.

As much as I would want it, there is no way to legislate a crazy person out of the oval office (or any office, for that matter). There is no provable litmus test for fascism or racism aside from, 'this guy looks nuts to me, better ban him'; law doesn't work like that. You can't ban people because you're 'pretty sure' they're a bad person or whatever. They have to commit crimes. And even then, well, you see where we are now.

If a fascist is in a position to get elected to the presidency, do you really think a petty ban on a couple of talking points would stop them?

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 16, 2016

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Paul Ryan hasn't said a lot of the things Trump said, and it's dangerous thinking that those two are alike in any sense. If we can't even get around arguing the differences between the kind of racism that Lee Atwater promoted and the kind Trump is promoting, we're very poorly equipped in our definitions.

So we're back at racism.

Yes, Trump is a racist. Paul Ryan is a racist. The GOP is built on racist principals. But racism isn't fascism.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also, he should legally be the general of surgeons, and be able to lead America's surgeons into battle.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

Fact checking both in every coversation as well as every speech would make life a whole lot quieter.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Josef bugman posted:

Fact checking both in every coversation as well as every speech would make life a whole lot quieter.

hence why i said a position of authority - so media and politicians. you are allowed to lie to your heart's content in private.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

This just makes me even sadder that Hitman 2016 doesn't have mod support.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Lol ok I just looked at wikipedia for the meaning of the word "fascism" and it's literally the same as "human being."

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Penisaurus Sex posted:

So we're back at racism.

Yes, Trump is a racist. Paul Ryan is a racist. The GOP is built on racist principals. But racism isn't fascism.

The US government doesn't officially sanction racism. But under Trump it sure as hell will. There is a difference.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

This guy's really got my number, and that number is 6 million, the number of minorities I want to kill.

Nah I'm sure you'll sit there and wring your hands and say how horrible it is all these minorities are dying but really what could we have done?

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

rscott posted:

Nah I'm sure you'll sit there and wring your hands and say how horrible it is all these minorities are dying but really what could we have done?
Lmao yeah, haha, that's me. You got it, man. Totally sane opinions, right here.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Penisaurus Sex posted:

So we're back at racism.

All facists are racists, but not all racists are facist?

I suppose that's true back in the atomic era (look at Churchill) but would it be possible to argue that now?

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Its blowing my mind that "facism" is the same thing as "faggotism" in so far that both are 'isms that refer to being a weak rear end twig that needs to be in constant bodily constant with other weak rear end twigs so as to not snap.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Spitballing here, but what if it was a constitutional amendment that required the consent of all three branches of government in order to trigger? It would be pretty hard to corrupt the Supreme Court that much while still keeping hold of the House, the Senate and the Presidency.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

pumpinglemma posted:

Spitballing here, but what if it was a constitutional amendment that required the consent of all three branches of government in order to trigger? It would be pretty hard to corrupt the Supreme Court that much while still keeping hold of the House, the Senate and the Presidency.
Isn't this all Constitutional amendments?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Josef bugman posted:

I suppose that's true back in the atomic era (look at Churchill) but would it be possible to argue that now?

I think so. If the only signifying thing that a fascist has is that he's an overt racist, then you're just conflating two terms and using one that's more loaded because you want to get a rise out of people.

The difference between a fascist government and a racist government is pretty pronounced; you can have a functioning racist society, and the U.S. has had one for a long time, but you can't really have a functioning fascist society for very long.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Josef bugman posted:

Yes. Please look at white liberal habitats if you want to see racists that are not fascists.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Motherfuckers, we can't even keep climate change deniers off of the governmental science committees. We can't keep the organization that buys students' textbooks from being white supremacist historical revisionists. Now you want to put someone in charge of saying what speech and thoughts are good and legal?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Trevor Hale posted:

Motherfuckers, we can't even keep climate change deniers off of the governmental science committees. We can't keep the organization that buys students' textbooks from being white supremacist historical revisionists. Now you want to put someone in charge of saying what speech and thoughts are good and legal?
Yes, and if you say otherwise, you're pro-Holocaust.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
If only we had a benevolent, technocratic dictator that would appoint the right people in positions of power so that we could avoid the chance of a fascist like Trump being elected. Then people from places that I don't like or am ashamed to be from can't have any say in the electoral process and only us in the white and liberal professional class with our one Black or Hispanic friend in the beating heart of the great and wonderful City can have things run smoothly.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

Kill Six Million Minorities.

I doubt that webcomic will get off the ground.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't Germany explicitly ban fascist parties and symbols and yet they're still contending with a right-wing nationalist party that's totally not fascist you guys?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Trevor Hale posted:

under the law i proposed, none of these things would happen.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Trevor Hale posted:

This is what I was going to say, but better phrased. :agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Donkwich posted:

Doesn't Germany explicitly ban fascist parties and symbols and yet they're still contending with a right-wing nationalist party that's totally not fascist you guys?

It's almost like putting all bad ideas in a bucket and painting 'fascist' on the side doesn't magically let you get rid of those ideas!

• Locked thread