Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Rebind jump to L3

I actually did that on ps4 for genji and it leads to me jumping at weird times a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

🤔

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Torb's real problem is Ana, as far as I can tell. She's just a lot of bad times for the dorf mixed into one character. Her ult just kind of shits on his turret if she puts it on practically anyone, and she has one of the best ways of taking it out at range in the game.

Good Torbs, like good Bastions, need to stay mobile, as opposed to setting up in one little nest. You need to remember you can armor up during a fight and toss a pack at your feet as you take damage. You also need to remember that your turret is on a short cooldown, considering what it actually is and does. If you're away from it and it blows up, just make another loving turret, like, wherever. Eventually set up a nest, but get the new turret down somewhere, man. Obviously not out in nowhere by itself but presumably if you're Torbin' you're somewhere near your team or the point or, hopefully, both. So anywhere thereabouts might not be the best place for a turret, like, permanently, but it could be a pretty drat effective spot for one during a firefight right now.
~~~~~~~~
Emulating the pros at the gold/plat level works to a degree, but it shouldn't be holy writ. The 2/2/2 thing is a good rule of thumb, but in practice, sometimes you just need more meat or more "kill the enemy team immediately" power or even just "Seriously, someone pick a counter to, specifically, this one fucker." I'll switch off support or DPS if we're melting too fast and just need to soak up damage while dishing it out. I'll switch off support or tank if my team is failing to SHOOT THE MANS. I'll switch off tank or DPS if I think a better option is available on Support (like, if I'm DPS and we're dying a little toooo fast and my aim is hot, I might go to a Zenyatta). gently caress team comp "Rules of thumb". Problems should be solved by the person who notices them.

I really don't like the whole "DPS" category anyhow for a number of reasons. Not the smallest being I'll probably gold medal in damage and elims as Roadhog or D.Va. But I think it just sort of dumbs down team comp. OK, you have two attack/defense characters. What is their plan? Where are they going? As much as I hate the distinction "Flanker" when it gets used, it has a lot more value as a term than "DPS" does.

When you select a character, you should think first: "Am I taking over an area or holding down an area" and then "How will I do that with this character". When you're hot switching in game, you should be thinking "What is killing my team" and "what is a way I can stop that." If you're personally playing like poo poo, you should ALWAYS be looking to change it up, ideal team comp be damned. If you're solo queuing, you can try to communicate with your team, but I've rapidly learned that the dude bossing out orders over the mic is never, ever right. If you know all 6 players, you can be a disciplined legionnaire, but if you're on your own, you have to think like a mercenary, because that is literally what you are.

tldr; an uneven team comp where everyone is playing pretty well will beat an ideal team comp where several people are playing garbage 100% of the time.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Overbite posted:

I don't understand how to play Genji.

You find the nearest trash can and jump inside. Success you've just played Genji perfectly!

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
People don't know how to deal with an aggressive junkrat. It's funny.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I play Genji in a way that is probably not optimal but basically if I get forced into DPS and it's a map where I've not been good with Reaper flanking I'll go with Genji, and the way I do it is patrol the objective and just basically be a coyote, moving in on people who get into conflict with my teamates, and either force them to pay attention to me, and get killed by my teammates, or I shoot them in their sides and backs until they die. I use M2 when I'm close, M1 when I'm far (trying to lead shots since I don't have the best aim) and double jump a lot if I'm being targeted. I don't do a lot of 1 v 1 battles (at least if I am playing well, I don't always), although I'll hunt down Mercies or Lucios who get into the open (I actually don't like going after Ana because because I really hate being put to sleep although if I figure out her aim is bad I'll hunt her too). I also go after Junkrats that seem to be giving my team trouble, really the only time I will break lines (I have a hard time restraining myself from battles I can't win if I try to flank as hard as most good Genjis do), especially if it's a Junkrat on high ground, it's usually a fight I can win fairly easily without getting super close, and can thus keep them grounded where they are less threatening.

I'm not a very good player but I've put a lot of time into Genji as far as practice goes so it isn't totally loving my team by playing him.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I just got 62 elims with Winston, 48 of them being objective kills. Maybe I am getting better at this game :unsmith:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I read about a guy in the tryhard thread smurfing to Diamond with Symmetra, but I didn't think I could do it as an average player. 41 hours of exclusive Symmetra brought me on a chainsaw adventure from silver to diamond. :woop:

It cost me a couple of account silences since people will report for hero picks, but what a ride!

Speaking of. Appealing the silence I was told they're reworking their whole report system both in OW and Heroes of the Storm. Apparently it's all automated and they can't really see the chat history without a whole lot of work. The next version will have more categories, some sort of vetting procedure and apparently it'll go easy on heroes that suffer alot of reports. Though the given example was HotS with Abathur and Murky.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 16, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

were you actually trying to climb before? what were you playing? honestly curious since I wouldn't expect a gimmick account to work better for anyone than just legitimately trying to play well

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Before I was all over the place. I have bad aim. I got up to 2600 a couple of times when really playing to win, and then I'd have losing streaks. Silver is the lowest I've been.

I started playing Symmetra because it was fun, and I am a bad person who usually sticks to one hero until I get tired of it. This wasn't really to climb. I went out of my way to go kill healers once I got halfway up platinum though. That seemed to be the only thing Symmetra could do well outside of farting out turrets and teleporters.

She's a beast on king of the hill. Those have been my favourite maps. 2CP are the hardest for me. It has swung wildly between me breaking open the choke with charged balls through multiple people, to no progress at all in getting through. Also, every few matches, people get worked up and pick snipers, Bastion or Torbjörn if they don't straight up ragequit.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 16, 2016

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
So when is blizzard implementing a "No-Snipers" brawl? This poo poo is ridiculous.

Thor-Stryker fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 16, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Donnerberg posted:

Before I was all over the place. I have bad aim. I got up to 2600 a couple of times when really playing to win, and then I'd have losing streaks. Silver is the lowest I've been.

I started playing Symmetra because it was fun, and I am a bad person who usually sticks to one hero until I get tired of it. This wasn't really to climb. I went out of my way to go kill healers once I got halfway up platinum though. That seemed to be the only thing Symmetra could do well outside of farting out turrets and teleporters.

She's a beast on king of the hill. Those have been my favourite maps. 2CP are the hardest for me. It has swung wildly between me breaking open the choke with charged balls through multiple people, to no progress at all in getting through. Also, every few matches, people get worked up and pick snipers, Bastion or Torbjörn if they don't straight up ragequit.

well hey, if it works then cool for you. guess finding the niche that fits you is better than adhering to the good heroes or w/e

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

So do the new network performance stats lie to you? I'm getting games where they're like 70 FPS and 60 ping and I'm lagging like I'm playing from Russia.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm in plat and Symmetra is my highest win % character.

In comp play, I exclusively play Sym on offense on Route 66. I think I've brought her out once on Anubis.

In quick play I'll play her wherever, whenever. Why not?

My biggest gripe about the character is that she doesn't get knowledge of what kills her turrets. Torb gets to know. Why not Symmetra? I want to know which fucker found my turrets and destroyed them, especially if they destroyed a cluster, because it would help me place them elsewhere. Or know which fucker needs a fully charged plasma ball up their rear end.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Donnerberg posted:

I read about a guy in the tryhard thread smurfing to Diamond with Symmetra, but I didn't think I could do it as an average player. 41 hours of exclusive Symmetra brought me on a chainsaw adventure from silver to diamond. :woop:

It cost me a couple of account silences since people will report for hero picks, but what a ride!

Speaking of. Appealing the silence I was told they're reworking their whole report system both in OW and Heroes of the Storm. Apparently it's all automated and they can't really see the chat history without a whole lot of work. The next version will have more categories, some sort of vetting procedure and apparently it'll go easy on heroes that suffer alot of reports. Though the given example was HotS with Abathur and Murky

Blizzard would never ever punished people automatically they have the best customer service in the world. Teehee.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 16, 2016

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I think if you report something and don't type in the box, it should completely ignore it.

It should also add a "picked the wrong hero" category for reports and have it secretly report the rear end in a top hat that clicked it.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
They can always find something to get mad about and say "well someone somewhere may have been offended so it stands" its stupid.

With Symmetra they should seriously keep the tele and as long as she is alivr she gets another ult meter. She fills that up a certain amount and gets another tele charge. That way she can keep her tele at 6 original charges but can actively use the charge she SHOULD be getting.

Its so frustrating to have the tele up, have it run out of charges and lol now you're at 0% even though youve been doing a poo poo ton of damage while it was up.

Ive had rounds where the tele was up forever. Team owning. Maybe one trle usage every 2 minutes. Then its crunch time and haha lol guess your ult is at 0 despite youre 10 kill streak and staying alive. Now your team has no chance at a tele. So dumb.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

We Know Catheters posted:

People don't know how to deal with an aggressive junkrat. It's funny.

you kill them?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Veryslightlymad posted:

In comp play, I exclusively play Sym on offense on Route 66. I think I've brought her out once on Anubis.

I like to use Symmetra in the opening couple of minutes on most maps, but on Route 66 especially. Sometimes I'll place turrets underneath the first ledge of where the attackers come out and rack up eliminations because they don't bother to look back during their glorious charge.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I am like 10 boxes deep into this event and still haven't got poo poo but sprays and the odd victory pose. I was low level because I wrapped around recently so I level super slow as well

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

I am like 10 boxes deep into this event and still haven't got poo poo but sprays and the odd victory pose. I was low level because I wrapped around recently so I level super slow as well

I just got this game a couple days ago but isn't that backwards? Surely you'd level faster at lower levels since it requires less XP.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Yup we lost

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

vOv posted:

I just got this game a couple days ago but isn't that backwards? Surely you'd level faster at lower levels since it requires less XP.

I'd already hit the max xp threshold for leveling (I think it's around level 25 or so?) but only just barely so I'm basically as screwed as you can get for fast boxes

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So what's up with the new console controls. What settings do you guys prefer as far as aim assist and dual zone?

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Overbite posted:

I don't understand how to play Genji. I can play as everyone else but can't wrap my head around that stupid ninja.

You are the most mobile hero. So get used to bouncing around walls and being hard to hit. You can easily grab positions where you can spam stars into the enemy team for free ult, and look for chances to finish off low hp dudes away from their team. Your cooldowns are really quick so dot be afraid to use them every fight, but make sure you have them up when you pick your engagements. Come from a blind angle instead of using dash to close gaps unless you are sure you'll get the kill, you want to have that quick escape up. Help your team by dividing enemy attention in teamfights, make the game hell for people who cant outplay you 1v1, use ult to mop up a teamfight in progress or to force out a support ult.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.twitch.tv/bananaculture
apac premier grand finals are on

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Just played Hollywood for the first time since the Halloween event started.
Is this the only map with special decorations?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yes. It looks like they're following the TF2 model (surprise) of reskinning one map a year.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Yes. It looks like they're following the TF2 model (surprise) of reskinning one map a year.

Eh we don't know what's in store for Christmas. I can't imagine they won't decorate at least one of the maps for that (I'm guessing Voskoya Industries)

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

I haven't posted on these forums for a little bit and was surprised to have been recognised in a game today.

Sorry GLFisher for getting kicked for inactivity, hope you didn't loose. I'll never forget when you bought my avatar back for me!

E: yeah i used to post on gbs, i'm sorry

krampster2 fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 16, 2016

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Loot Brag:
Got Witch Mercy and Junkenstein in back to back loot pumpkins.

You may hate me now.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

krampster2 posted:

I haven't posted on these forums for a little bit and was surprised to have been recognised in a game today.

Sorry GLFisher for getting kicked for inactivity, hope you didn't loose. I'll never forget when you bought my avatar back for me!

E: yeah i used to post on gbs, i'm sorry

ey bro

edit: we hella lost

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

So what's up with the new console controls. What settings do you guys prefer as far as aim assist and dual zone?

I don't really see a difference in either setting.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

What? I harbor some ill will towards Genji of all heroes?
No way, sir. You take that back.

http://i.imgur.com/vGWg3mb.gifv

Oh ok, you got me.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
another game "wtf no hitscan"

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

mcbexx posted:

Oh ok, you got me.

Getting zen kick kills in slow motion at the end of a match is so satisfying

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

mcbexx posted:

Oh ok, you got me.

Pretend I posted a gif of that American History X curbstomp.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Eh we don't know what's in store for Christmas. I can't imagine they won't decorate at least one of the maps for that (I'm guessing Voskoya Industries)

pretty sure he meant just for the event. that's what tf2 does

but yea I'd be surprised if it weren't volskaya with legendary skins for mei and zarya

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
My card worked for a Halloween miracle last night.

Opened up my free box got the legendary mercy skin opened up another and got the Reaper skin

Woowoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

pretty sure he meant just for the event. that's what tf2 does

but yea I'd be surprised if it weren't volskaya with legendary skins for mei and zarya

Winston is almost definitely getting a Santa costume