Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Ah, here's the person who can answer the question "What kind of idiot would do this?".

For all we know the person doing the burning could have been the victim of actual racism or some poo poo at which point I don't think its fair for people on the internet judge with no knowledge or background the morality or idiocy of the act.

In some ways that speaks to how crazy this election is in that a reasonable number of Donald Trump supporters are outing themselves as crazy racists that do want to deport or kill brown people just for being born or stepping foot on their promised land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

pgroce posted:

We tried this once and it worked out about like you'd expect. (In fact, the ban is still in effect. How's that working out?)
This is fascinating. I love this kind of stuff.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Oh what the gently caress.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

He did better than just play liberal all day on the internet.

Yes he gave Trump and his supporters ammunition to promote their worldview of rampant violence and political persecution. Good job guy. :bravo:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Hey I was just reading that and laughing. Its a pretty big booklet for voting and one of the cooler things the Secretary of State does, it seems like not all states mail out a guide like that?

Yeah, I've always been happy with WA state's voting process. Plenty of info provided and a mail in ballot. I wish all states did that, going somewhere in person on a Tuesday seems nuts.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

As a practical matter, the Kellogg–Briand Pact did not live up to its aim of ending war, and in this sense it made no immediate contribution to international peace and proved to be ineffective in the years to come. Moreover, the pact erased the legal distinction between war and peace because the signatories, having renounced the use of war, began to wage wars without declaring them as in the Japanese invasion of Manchuria in 1931, the Italian invasion of Abyssinia in 1935, the Soviet invasion of Finland in 1939, the German and Soviet Union invasions of Poland.[10] Nevertheless, the pact is an important multilateral treaty because, in addition to binding the particular nations that signed it, it has also served as one of the legal bases establishing the international norms that the threat[11] or use of military force in contravention of international law, as well as the territorial acquisitions resulting from it,[12] are unlawful.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is fascinating. I love this kind of stuff.

quote:

Moreover, the pact erased the legal distinction between war and peace because the signatories, having renounced the use of war, began to wage wars without declaring them as in the Japanese invasion of Manchuria in 1931, the Italian invasion of Abyssinia in 1935, the Soviet invasion of Finland in 1939, the German and Soviet Union invasions of Poland.[10]

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lightning Knight posted:

Pretend I linked the backwards B or the "BLM thugs tagged a church with the whitest tag you've ever seen" stories here.

I think it's possible it was just a dumb poo poo firebombing, but I'm not convinced it's not them just attention whoring either because there's precedent for that.

False flag stuff has happened in the history of the world but like 99% of stuff people claim is false flag basically never is because that stuff happens and it's gonna be someone just regular mad at trump like someone who either hates his policies or something like an anti abortion protestor that is made he is ruining america because he'll get the wrong supreme court guy.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, but it also stops countries from just saying "We're invading because we want this land to be part of our country," which is interesting.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

False flag stuff has happened in the history of the world but like 99% of stuff people claim is false flag basically never is because that stuff happens and it's gonna be someone just regular mad at trump like someone who either hates his policies or something like an anti abortion protestor that is made he is ruining america because he'll get the wrong supreme court guy.

Or insurance fraud or something else.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

If anything this will help Trump.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

For all we know the person doing the burning could have been the victim of actual racism or some poo poo at which point I don't think its fair for people on the internet judge with no knowledge or background the morality or idiocy of the act.

In some ways that speaks to how crazy this election is in that a reasonable number of Donald Trump supporters are outing themselves as crazy racists that do want to deport or kill brown people just for being born or stepping foot on their promised land.

I could empathize with a victim lashing out but I can still say committing acts of terror that could at best help elect Trump is a morally bad thing.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah, but it also stops countries from just saying "We're invading because we want this land to be part of our country," which is interesting.

Well before Putin anyway.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RuanGacho posted:

Well before Putin anyway.
Putin without consent.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

The most likely outcome here is that literally nothing happens because nobody notices or cares that a local field office was set on fire. The second most likely outcome is that this was counterproductive as hell, because it gives Trump supporters something to point to when they talk about how unfairly they're being treated.

Seriously, nobody is treating Trump with kid gloves. Directly attacking him and his supporters legitimizes them.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Boston Globe article on how much Trump supporters want to, uh, "deal with" Hillary

quote:

“If she’s in office, I hope we can start a coup. She should be in prison or shot. That’s how I feel about it,” Dan Bowman, a 50-year-old contractor, said of Hillary Clinton, the Democratic nominee. “We’re going to have a revolution and take them out of office if that’s what it takes. There’s going to be a lot of bloodshed. But that’s what it’s going to take. . . . I would do whatever I can for my country.”

He then placed a Trump mask on his face and posed for pictures.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

You are a severely broken person.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I was browsing the official voters' guide I got in the mail and thought the official profiles of Hillary and Trump were worth reviewing.

First we have Hillary's profile. It looks professional, lays out her achievements, and focuses on critical issues.

Then we have the candidate who may have turned his in last minute. I highlighted some of the standout parts:

-He reused his Other Professional Experience paragraph as the first section of his Statement, and also recycled his Community Service sentence in the third paragraph of his Statement.
-He gives a lot of ink to his success in writing The Art of the Deal, despite his ghostwriter denouncing him a few months ago.
-Weird mention of having 20 million social media followers, he's brought that up in debates too. How does that make him qualified?
-"mustpromote" made it into final draft
-The part about being grand marshal of a parade in 1996 is odd. A 100 people watched it the year before, then 1.3 million more came out to watch it the next year? Was the 1995 parade going past empty streets?
-Mentioning golf course ownership, seems like bragging
-"has five beautiful children including"... then lists all five kids. Why say "including"?

Overall Hillary's statement looks good and I imagine the professional team that put it together had to leave out achievements to fit the word count. Trump's looks rushed and like they ran out of material halfway through.

This is an amazing catch.

---

Ted Cruz explains why conservatives will need a new party if Hillary wins.

quote:

Republicans like Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn, R-Texas. (F, 42%) already have a game plan in place if and when Hillary is elected: make Hillary’s presidency a great success. In other words, nothing too different from the GOP’s modus operandi during the Obama presidency.
He's not being sarcastic.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

I see you can't differentiate the left from fascism.

I don't want to live in a generation that enabled an authoritarian right wing government simply because they felt too loving privileged to do the dirty work and wrote smug tweets about how the world would be better off if we treated the fascists with kid gloves.

To be clear-

Anyone who disagrees with you is against the cause?
Anyone who doesn't want violence is supporting your enemy?
The fascists surrounding Trump present an existential threat to our republic but are easily defeated?
The privileged centrists, an elite group?, are the enemies holding back progress and allowing fascists to prosper?
Taking action, any action, against the enemy is a noble endeavor?

Can we skip to the end where you smugly kick back and reveal yourself as the puppetmaster who made the stupid lefties all agree to fascism because they dislike Trump?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Trabisnikof posted:

If anything this will help Trump.

I could empathize with a victim lashing out but I can still say committing acts of terror that could at best help elect Trump is a morally bad thing.

It'll certainly direct attention away from those three men who were arrested for wanting to bomb that apartment complex and were willing to go so far as to shoot one year olds.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Honestly I don't think it's an intentional false flag. Like I said, my bet is accidental fire that they're passing off as a terrorist attack.

If and when the investigation establishes it was actually firebombing then so be it. I'm just saying, they have a history of that kind of poo poo and I don't trust them.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

Honestly I don't think it's an intentional false flag. Like I said, my bet is accidental fire that they're passing off as a terrorist attack.

If and when the investigation establishes it was actually firebombing then so be it. I'm just saying, they have a history of that kind of poo poo and I don't trust them.
They have a history of pretending to be firebombed?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

:stonklol: Dear Lord these people are scary. :stonklol:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/ajjaffe/status/787754817061916672
an unintended good consequence in this evolving story.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

straight up brolic posted:

Joe Flacco is not elite

e:oops wrong thread

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Donkwich posted:

Yes he gave Trump and his supporters ammunition to promote their worldview of rampant violence and political persecution. Good job guy. :bravo:

Is this before or after Trump tries to and tie the firebombing to Hillary.

The other possibility is my favorite: Violence being viewed as a kind of political consequence of his increasingly awful rhetoric, which is how he should be precisely viewed in every sense.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

FactsAreUseless posted:

No, but the American right wing has a history of fabricating attacks on themselves to garner sympathy and establish a "we're the real victims" narrative.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

OK so now this will feed into their cheating/rigging narrative.

I'm seriously hoping this is another backwards B incident.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Mr Hootington posted:

I mean not really. Anyone getting their right to vote compromised is a bad thing. The fact that it happened against someone you don't like doesn't make it any better than Pence's shenanigans from yesterday.

e: also this

Donkwich posted:

OK so now this will feed into their cheating/rigging narrative.

I'm seriously hoping this is another backwards B incident.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Is this before or after Trump tries to and tie the firebombing to Hillary.

The other possibility is my favorite: Violence being viewed as a kind of political consequence of his increasingly awful rhetoric, which is how he should be precisely viewed in every sense.

OH he will certainly do this and because he is "Unshackled" I bet he will start actively encouraging his followers to do the same kinds of things, But make sure it's "legal"

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Kind of hating people that are cheering on republican votes being burned up in a fire while attacking Donald Trump on calling the vote rigged. Do you want democracy or not?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I believe he's referring to the backwards-B incident and the thing in the midterms where the only person caught in the act of voter fraud was, surprise!, a low-level Republican candidate. Firebombing is a bit of an escalation though. :stonk:

I don't buy that this was political. "Get out of town!!" doesn't sound like someone who's pissed enough to firebomb a place. It's too forced. My personal thoughts are option C (dude used political cover to settle a personal grudge) and I am a professional internet criminal profiler so clearly my opinion counts for something.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

Is it normal for a party to collect completed Absentee ballots in NC? I'm pretty sure that would be illegal in some states.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I'm in for option C.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mr Hootington posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with you no it isn't

anytime someone gets robbed of a vote it's a travesty

do you even have human emotions

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Spaced God posted:

I mean not really. Anyone getting their right to vote compromised is a bad thing. The fact that it happened against someone you don't like doesn't make it any better than Pence's shenanigans from yesterday.

:agreed: do not go lowest common denominator. We should be nowhere near trumps level.

Chokes McGee posted:

This goon gets it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

It's very good when bad things happen to the people you don't like. That's called being the good guys.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Kind of hating people that are cheering on republican votes being burned up in a fire while attacking Donald Trump on calling the vote rigged. Do you want democracy or not?

I want to not have the global military hegemony be ruled by a fascist tbh.

That said, if this was actually a politically motivated fire bombing it's not really a good thing, if only because it's not going to do anything other than help Trump anyway and thus was pointlessly vindictive and dangerous.

I'd be more worried about it if some had died.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

I want to not have the global military hegemony be ruled by a fascist tbh.
This doesn't justify it. Just admit you think violence is good when you like it.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I can see the third debate now.

When they go low

We firebomb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

Shut up you weenie

• Locked thread