Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dak02
Nov 23, 2003

SPARE SOME CHANGE??

Lampsacus posted:

Serious question: if Disney partnered with Netflix or HBO and put out a Star Wars prestigious drama what would you want it based on?
I'm thinking Shmi's early years (interactions with local characters).

I need the origin behind "Thats So Wizard!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Cnut the Great posted:

Post your favorite Battle of Geonosis moments!

This one gif trumps the entirely of the droid action in Abrams' film.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm pretty sure I murdered that in Mechwarrior 4.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Lampsacus posted:

Serious question: if Disney partnered with Netflix or HBO and put out a Star Wars prestigious drama what would you want it based on?

The formation of the Republic.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Lampsacus posted:

The trials and tribulations of the New Republic between episodes six and seven.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

This one's good because you have the Separatist's fleeing Death Star ship on one side getting attacked by the Republic's Death Star lasers on the other side and the whole morally ambiguous exchange ends up causing a giant cloud of dust to wash over the battlefield, obscuring everything as both side's faceless soldiers fire blindly at each other through the shroud:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVcW11GoBD0&t=187s

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Proposition Joe posted:

The trials and tribulations of the New Republic between episodes three and four

Ftfy

Mostly I want to know what senator jar-jar binks was up to and what anti-alien laws he passed to save his own hide as a consummate politician of the empire-republic

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

American Gangster but set on Cloud City.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

ungulateman posted:

Ftfy

Mostly I want to know what senator jar-jar binks was up to and what anti-alien laws he passed to save his own hide as a consummate politician of the empire-republic

Imperial Senator Jar Jar Binks is something that desperately needs to be explored. Maybe Rebels can get away with it at some point.

It would be a win/win because even the Jar Jar haters couldn't be against the idea of seeing a defeated, broken Jar Jar Binks.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwJbRpJuuog

I feel it is quite spoiler-ish watching it this way... but it has me excited.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Cnut the Great posted:

Need a gif of Padme ejaculating herself off the top of a giant penis right after Anakin rams the big white pussy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Lampsacus posted:

Just use the hundred scripts George Lucas wrote for his cancelled live action series.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Just use the hundred scripts George Lucas wrote for his cancelled live action series.

Haha was he really the one who wrote them?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cnut the Great posted:

why did the SBD smack the other droid? There is no point to doing this

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Phi230 posted:

It executed its wounded comrade instead of tending to its injuries, op

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Phi230 posted:

If this were Lord of the Rings, and that was a wounded orc being pushed aside callously by another, bigger, more brutish orc, there 'not being a point' would be read as characterization.

The droids are characters. They have motivation. That big grey one is a true believer. He hates the 'inferior model.'

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Excited to watch Jyn's father beg her to blow up the thing to save the galaxy even though he's still in the thing and he loves her

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

K. Waste posted:

If this were Lord of the Rings, and that was a wounded orc being pushed aside callously by another, bigger, more brutish orc, there 'not being a point' would be read as characterization.

The droids are characters. They have motivation. That big grey one is a true believer. He hates the 'inferior model.'

i too have to make false equivalencies to defend stupid artistic choices

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Phi230 posted:

You're sort of begging the question here.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

Why is it a stupid artistic choice?

Why is it a false equivalency?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
They're literally birthed from subterranean factories, under the oversight of Christopher Lee.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
well firstly you're trying to elevate the star wars prequels to loving LoTR, the latter of which's superior quality is not even a question.

secondly an orc in LOTR is not equivalent to a droid in the prequels

thirdly, from a practical perspective, the "wounded" (damaged) droid was neither blocking the SBD's line of sight nor in its way. The SBD went out of its way to destroy its "comrade," interrupting its shooting and sacrificing fire superiority to just beat down a damaged droid

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Phi230 posted:

well firstly you're trying to elevate the star wars prequels to loving LoTR, the latter of which's superior quality is not even a question.

thirdly, from a practical perspective, the "wounded" (damaged) droid was neither blocking the SBD's line of sight nor in its way. The SBD went out of its way to destroy its "comrade," interrupting its shooting and sacrificing fire superiority to just beat down a damaged droid

Your argument is that the thing can't be good because it's in a movie you don't like.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tactical realism makes for dull movies. The Super Battle Droid pushing down the wounded battle Droid says a lot about the Super Battle Droid.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

Comparing things doesn't "elevate" them in the real world.

Comparing things does not require them to be identical.

This doesn't make sense as an objection to anything, apart from saying you don't like the characterization of the Super Battle Droid because you find it tactically suboptimal.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Peter Jackson and George Lucas are friends. Lucas even visited the set of Lord of the Rings. And both franchises were coming out around the same time. And both feature large sword fighting war scenes. Makes them very comparable tbh.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Phi230 posted:

I agree, that is what happened.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hell, the Battle Droids and Super Battle Droids don't advance according to the principles of fire and movement, essentially declaring that this movie is a phony.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I mean an infantry advance across an open field seems like a really bad idea when you have space cruisers and laser artillery.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Phi230 posted:

Well, first of all, I don't give a poo poo about elevating anything to whatever.

quote:

Prove your negative.

quote:

I didn't say the droids were practical. I said they were characters. You took a qualitative exception to the big dark droid smashing the small light droid unnecessarily. But you've missed the most blatant thing of all: Necessity has nothing to do with it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The first casualty.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The orange robot was struggling to stay standing and beginning to convulse. It would've been stupid to let it keep swaying in place there where it might've lurched to its right or otherwise gotten underfoot.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Cnut the Great posted:

Haha I didnt notice until now that the gun goes spinning after he gets punched

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Also wow that gif is smooth as heck :eyepop:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Phi230 posted:

It was in the big guy's way.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

TWIST FIST posted:

Haha I didnt notice until now that the gun goes spinning after he gets punched

And that other droid behind it doing a double take. These guys are scared out of their minds.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Phi230 posted:

thirdly, from a practical perspective, the orc was neither blocking the uruk hai's line of sight nor in its way. The uruk hai went out of its way to destroy its "comrade," interrupting its helping him and sacrificing midwife superiority to just beat down an orc.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

The first casualty.

Spoiler alert!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Makes them very comparable tbh.

They both feature light-up magic swords, magic, big battles, epic scores, Christopher Lee and endless, mindless drones getting scuttled. Hell, even an NZ actor shows up in Episode II.

• Locked thread