Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I thought it was a little strange they made Meiji restoration a civ ability when it's obviously tied to a specific leader

I don't see how, the Restoration kicked off Japan's modernization in a big way; Meiji himself may have been a driver for that, but Japan was going to have to modernize regardless if it wanted to maintain its sovereignty. Around the same period big countries like China and India were subjected to imperialism from abroad (China was forcibly made to cater to European trade deals, India was under Britain's thumb), and just about nobody in the Japanese government wanted similar poo poo to happen to Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm not even really talking about root causes or whatever, just that the Meiji restoration is famously associated with Meiji to the point it shares his name, which makes it sound more like a leader ability than a civ ability to me.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Darkrenown posted:

Have Firaxis said anything about a release day patch to correct the problems streams have been showing? I would assume they are watching the streams and fixing poo poo, but have they actually said anything about it?

That's not really how Firaxis works. I think their first patch for Beyond Earth came in December, after an October release.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Captain Oblivious posted:

Tbh everybody loves Saladin. The English were hella tsundere for Saladin.

Saladin was a complete badass and famous for his sense of honour. He was hugely respected by even his worst enemies.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Omnicarus posted:

Erich Ludendorf (Germany)

Leader Bonus: Hindenburg Line - Melee Units within striking range of friendly ranged units gain +5 combat strength.

Leader Agenda: Der Totale Krieg: When at war with two or more powers, all coins, culture, faith, and beakers become production, unit maintenance reduced by 50%. You better win and win fast or you're going to completely lose the game.

That's not how Agendas work, they are constraints on the behavior of the AI leader and have no gameplay effects.

Abu Bakr as-Saddiq (Arabia)

Leader Bonus: Sahaba: When you found your Religion, gain one free copy of each land Military unit you are able to build near your capital, and for the rest of your game your units get +10 combat strength when attacking cities.

Abu Bakr was one of the first converts to Islam, and one of the sahaba, or personal followers of Mohammed. Within fifty years of Mohammed's revelations, the Islamic wars of conquest had not just united the Arabian peninsula, but conquered Sasanian Persia and significant portions of the Eastern Roman Empire.

Leader Agenda: Rightly Guided: Likes being given cities in trade or peace negotiations, and will not accept peace unless he can keep all cities he has conquered. Dislikes civilizations near him that do not follow the religion he has founded, unless they have previously ceded land to him.

Abu Bakr, as the first of the four Rightly Guided Caliphs, repudiated the tribal leaders who claimed that they had sworn personal fealty to Mohammed himself and were under no compulsion to follow his successors. The momentum of these Wars of Apostasy carried into the earliest of the conquests that would leave the Arabian Empire as one of the largest in history.

Taizu of Song (China)

Leader Bonus: Imperial Examinations: Districts come with an extra slot for a Citizen, and Citizens produce extra yields. (+1 of the primary type produced, or +2 if gold)

Taizu, founder of the Song Dynasty, expanded the system of examinations that staffed high-level officials and bureaucrats throughout China.

Leader Agenda: Life Of Man Is Short: Dislikes civilizations that declare wars other than Reconquest, Protectorate, or Liberation. Likes civilizations with high Culture or Science output who have had disliked wars declared on them.

After reunifying China and ending the war-torn Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms era, Taizu convinced the generals of the armies to retire in peace, reserving much of their military power for common defense, and ushered in an era of freedom of thought in which the arts and sciences flourished.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Randarkman posted:

Yeah not what I was saying.

And if you're going to make that argument why bother have leaders tied to civilizations in the first place at all?
Unrestricted leaders was a really fun option for Civ4, and I hope it comes back in 6.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Is the Steam Controller any good? I do not have a PC controller but I do have a few games that would play better with a controller and you can get it in one of the Civ 6 bundles. Does anyone have opinions on it?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Powercrazy posted:

Unrestricted leaders was a really fun option for Civ4, and I hope it comes back in 6.

It'd be really neat, though some combinations might not work well. Such as, say, Mvemba leading Arabia.

I'm still in favor of the idea, mind. Just, it's definitely something they'd have to test for weirdness.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm all about weirdness in Civ. But ultimately that kind of interaction would be determined by how the game implemented the attributes of both the leader and the civ. Hopefully they can be made to work with each other, even if it's in an Overpowered manner.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Aerdan posted:

I don't see how, the Restoration kicked off Japan's modernization in a big way; Meiji himself may have been a driver for that, but Japan was going to have to modernize regardless if it wanted to maintain its sovereignty. Around the same period big countries like China and India were subjected to imperialism from abroad (China was forcibly made to cater to European trade deals, India was under Britain's thumb), and just about nobody in the Japanese government wanted similar poo poo to happen to Japan.

Ehhh almost certainly not. Most evidence suggests he was about as genuinely influential as most other Japanese Emperors: Not Very.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

Have Firaxis said anything about a release day patch to correct the problems streams have been showing? I would assume they are watching the streams and fixing poo poo, but have they actually said anything about it?

What problems have shown up on streams?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Ehhh almost certainly not. Most evidence suggests he was about as genuinely influential as most other Japanese Emperors: Not Very.

Thank you for the correction, since it just reinforced the point I was fumbling at making.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I'm not even really talking about root causes or whatever, just that the Meiji restoration is famously associated with Meiji to the point it shares his name, which makes it sound more like a leader ability than a civ ability to me.

The traditional Japanese calendar measures years by the reigns of the various emperors (ie: Meiji 13, etc). It's called the Meiji Restoration mostly because it was a revolution that happened in the Meiji era. The aim of the revolution was supposedly to take power away from the corrupt Shogunate and restore it to the Emperor, but ultimate he only served a symbolic purpose anyway. Honestly not a very interesting leader.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vox Nihili posted:

What problems have shown up on streams?

The AI values certain trades really, really weirdly; you can buy relics from them for almost nothing, joint wars are apparently easy to get as well, etc. That's the only one I know of, at least.

Toga
Oct 13, 2016

Okay, I didn't know about #9 and I think it's pretty interesting as it's relatively similar to how it works in EU4, although you seem to keep the city you captured even if it's not in the peace deal, it just won't grow.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
boo, can I not get the Amazon Prime preorder discount if I have a Mac instead of a PC?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Being able to capture and use settlers sounds hilariously gamebreaking against the AI. I guess it depends on how well they actually guard them.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
I heard building naval units no longer requires a city to be located next to the ocean; confirm deny? Do all naval units now require a shipyward/harbor(?) district, or does possessing one just circumvent the existing requirement (the city being built next to the ocean) for building a naval unit?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Away all Goats posted:

Being able to capture and use settlers sounds hilariously gamebreaking against the AI. I guess it depends on how well they actually guard them.

IIRC that's the way it worked previous to 5. The warmonger penalties are the counterbalance.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

I heard building naval units no longer requires a city to be located next to the ocean; confirm deny? Do all naval units now require a shipyward/harbor(?) district, or does possessing one just circumvent the existing requirement (the city being built next to the ocean) for building a naval unit?
The latter. So getting an early coastal city is the only way to get early naval units (and gives you access to some eurekas), but later on you can build a harbor in any city that's within 3 tiles of a coast to be able to build naval units and do naval trade routes.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 16, 2016

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

So, strategic resources now work like luxury resources used to (you only need one copy), while luxury resources now work like strategic ones (you need one copy per four cities)

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 31, 2022

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

theres a will theres moe posted:

IIRC that's the way it worked previous to 5. The warmonger penalties are the counterbalance.

This is not correct, in Civ III a captured settler became two workers (when captured by another Civ), or just one worker when captured in Civ IV. At least that's what my Civ III manual and some quick googling to confirm tell me.

Barbarians didn't even "capture" settlers in IV, they just killed them. I think it worked the same in III but I don't recall. Should note that the "warmonger penalty" doesn't apply when the barbarians capture a settler from the AI in VI and you take it from them.

To my knowledge... you could never "capture" settlers from other civilizations and use them for yourself, at least in the main series games. In I/II settlers were just killed in combat like any other unit.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 16, 2016

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Defenestration posted:

boo, can I not get the Amazon Prime preorder discount if I have a Mac instead of a PC?
Just buy the PC version. It's the exact same thing once you put the code into steam.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

No city resistance and instant razing. Praise Beach.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Does anyone know...

If you conquer a city with a district that you have a unique replacement for or vice/versa what happens?

Does your legacy government bonus stack with your active bonus as you build up points before changing government?

Does your pantheon automatically spread to all of your cities?

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 31, 2022

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

brakeless posted:

No city resistance and instant razing. Praise Beach.

It was enormous bullshit in Civ 5 that cities were in "resistance" mode for one turn per population point, regardless of game speed. It meant resistance was pathetically unimportant on say, Marathon, but cripplingly awful on Quick.

I hope they've actually balanced stuff like that this time round.

splifyphus posted:

A list that saves me having to watch a presumably-obnoxious video

Thanks for this. I hate video guides.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Roland Jones posted:

The AI values certain trades really, really weirdly; you can buy relics from them for almost nothing, joint wars are apparently easy to get as well, etc. That's the only one I know of, at least.

Trade is a big one. In the Arumba/Filthy Robot Stream you can also see the AI over-valuing luxuries to a crazy degree where they trade a lux for a lux plus 200+ gold and ~25 GPT. Also been some annoying things shown like the AI spamming the same offers every other turn when rejected, and cycling to the next unit midway through a unit's actions for seemingly no reason. There were some smaller things too, and the UI seems poor in several areas, although not really a release patch thing.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Magil Zeal posted:

This is not correct, in Civ III a captured settler became two workers (when captured by another Civ), or just one worker when captured in Civ IV. At least that's what my Civ III manual and some quick googling to confirm tell me.

Barbarians didn't even "capture" settlers in IV, they just killed them. I think it worked the same in III but I don't recall. Should note that the "warmonger penalty" doesn't apply when the barbarians capture a settler from the AI in VI and you take it from them.

To my knowledge... you could never "capture" settlers from other civilizations and use them for yourself, at least in the main series games. In I/II settlers were just killed in combat like any other unit.

Huh! Welp, my bad. Sorry for the misinformation.

E: I wonder if the diplomatic grudge still exists for not returning a captured civilian. In V didn't not-returning a dude guarantee you'd go to war eventually?

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 16, 2016

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Glidergun posted:

Taizu of Song (China)

Not bad, but it would be nice to see someone representing modern China in the 2nd spot. One that isn't Mao.

Sun Yat-Sen, founder of the Republic of China, the end of the imperial era and thus a natural counterpoint to Qin Shi Huang. Sure, his revolution didn't quite pan out the way he wanted and he never hold complete power over the entire country, but he gets in under Gandhi rules, alright? His unique ability could be named after the 3 Principles of the People and be related to social policy or some such.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Gort posted:

That's not really how Firaxis works. I think their first patch for Beyond Earth came in December, after an October release.

They do tend to take their time.

But, of course, the build they handed out to streamers is not final.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Just buy the PC version. It's the exact same thing once you put the code into steam.

Thanks - also I don't see anywhere that this is a digital download. Is Amazon going to send me a disc in the mail like it's 1999 or something? And if I pick free two-day delivery will it arrive Friday or will I have to wait until Monday?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Defenestration posted:

Thanks - also I don't see anywhere that this is a digital download. Is Amazon going to send me a disc in the mail like it's 1999 or something? And if I pick free two-day delivery will it arrive Friday or will I have to wait until Monday?

While I can't answer the "are they mailing me a disc" thing, for places they DO send discs for pre-orders (i.e. my ps4 games) they have release day delivery

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Airfoil posted:

They do tend to take their time.

But, of course, the build they handed out to streamers is not final.

The good thing is that their patches are pretty robust. I remember their first patch form G&K adding the grand temple. So I think they look at user data for the first month and then make a patch the second month after release.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

While I can't answer the "are they mailing me a disc" thing, for places they DO send discs for pre-orders (i.e. my ps4 games) they have release day delivery

Looks like someone asked the question further down the page and it is a disc. Kind of silly but the release day delivery is what matters, thanks

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Defenestration posted:

Have you noticed the size of games lately? Blu-rays aren't exactly common in PCs, unlike consoles. Unless they want to release like 4-8 disc sets like its 2003, it's either going to be an emailed code or a box that's empty save for a piece of paper with the code on it and maybe a cd with a steam installer on it. (I highly doubt amazon is going to actually ship a physical thing when its so much cheaper to just go digital.) e: Huh, color me surprised. Why the hell would amazon spend the money to ship a piece of paper??

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 17, 2016

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So what are the odds this'll get a demo, so I can find out whether this will run on my comp? I don't have the dedicated RAM for this game, but I've got an integrated card, but it's an a previous generation of i3 so who knows how much processing it can spare??

They had a demo of Civ 5. :ohdear:

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Ragnar34 posted:

So what are the odds this'll get a demo, so I can find out whether this will run on my comp? I don't have the dedicated RAM for this game, but I've got an integrated card, but it's an a previous generation of i3 so who knows how much processing it can spare??

They had a demo of Civ 5. :ohdear:

There's always the steam 2-hour refund

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
Any word on the time the game will unlock?