Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

theflyingexecutive posted:

On one hand, it comes close to prosecuting thoughtcrime. On the other, it's insanely easy to get an assault rifle and enough ammo to kill dozens of people before cops show up

Yeah, it's really weird to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Evil Fluffy posted:

People don't seem to get that while nullification is technically "a thing" it also means you're telling the jury "if you personally don't like the law you should ignore it" which while having some potential for good it's ultimately a really bad thing in society for people to be able to just walk after committing crimes because they got lucky and their jury was a bunch of idealists.

Historically that "ideal" was often an all-white jury who thought it was good and cool you flayed and hung that dude because he reportedly whistled at a white lady.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

On one hand, it comes close to prosecuting thoughtcrime. On the other, it's insanely easy to get an assault rifle and enough ammo to kill dozens of people before cops show up

Situations like this scare me even more than that. It is spooky easy to rent a van, pack it with cheapo explosives, and blow away 120 people. The only reason they caught McVeigh (who had more bombings planned iirc) is that he was a loving idiot.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Situations like this scare me even more than that. It is spooky easy to rent a van, pack it with cheapo explosives, and blow away 120 people. The only reason they caught McVeigh (who had more bombings planned iirc) is that he was a loving idiot.

right, but that requires some amount of preparation, acquiring precursors and enough knowledge to not blow yourself up. In a terrifying number of states, you can buy a bushmaster with ammo and commit an atrocity that same day

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Also if someone like McVeigh tried to gather the same materials in 2016 he'd (hopefully) get snagged by the regulations enacted after the Oklahoma City bombing.

e-McVeigh was indeed stupid but then again not many people would realize adding nitromethane to ANFO makes ANNM

Seizure Meat has issued a correction as of 01:28 on Oct 16, 2016

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Yeah you basically can't get ammonium nitrate in large quantities anymore without a bunch of alarms going off so home-made bomb/IED technology is shifting towards more, uh, esoteric ideas, like stuff based on hydrogen peroxide

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Buying nitromethane in large quantities would also require you to either visit many hobby shops that cater to remote control things, drawing attention like a motherfucker, or you have to be a member of the NHRA in good standing to purchase it from a speed shop.

Again, enacted after '95.

e- I just realized that the nitromethane thing might be wonky to people that aren't familiar with it. In layman's terms, think methanol fuel with a built in oxidizer. When you use it in an internal combustion engine, what you're looking for is air/fuel mixture. If you add more fuel, you make more power, but you also need to add more air. At certain power levels, it's impossible to break through an upper fuel limit and still mechanically cram more air via a supercharger or whatever. One way to combat this is through the use of nitrous oxide, which introduces high levels of oxygen into the combustion process. The other is via nitromethane, which carries its oxidizer with it.

Obviously, adding a reactive oxidizer to an explosive will increase the potential yield, and it takes a pretty savvy chemist (or bomb maker) to get the levels right.

Seizure Meat has issued a correction as of 01:38 on Oct 16, 2016

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

right, but that requires some amount of preparation, acquiring precursors and enough knowledge to not blow yourself up. In a terrifying number of states, you can buy a bushmaster with ammo and commit an atrocity that same day

Yeah, but a rifle exposes you to counter reactions, while bombs you can plant and leave absolving yourself of having to defend yourself or be identified. These types wouldn't have the balls to go mass shooting because they know they'd be found. the idea here is to terrorize and run away to live and terrorize another day/be praised for the eye opener you are. People that go mass shooting generally don't expect to get out of it without at least prison time. Just like these bozos on trial. Once the poo poo was gonna get real and poor babby's might get arrested, they loving scattered like roaches when the light's flicked on.

SocketWrench has issued a correction as of 01:34 on Oct 16, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Unabomber even made things harder for detectives by planting false clues in his bombs, like initials and fake messages that would mislead the investigation. One of the big things that led to him getting caught was his demand to have his manifesto released, which his brother read and found startlingly similar to poo poo his brother said and wrote in the past. It's possible he wouldn't have been caught (at least not for a long time) had he not tried to get his writings out into the world with the same phrasing he always used.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Welp, caught up to the thread and the trial news. Sucked missing most of it, but this is about what I expected.

JJ macnab's twitter list is a godsend.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ate all the Oreos posted:

Yeah you basically can't get ammonium nitrate in large quantities anymore without a bunch of alarms going off so home-made bomb/IED technology is shifting towards more, uh, esoteric ideas, like stuff based on hydrogen peroxide

Or collecting low explosives like tannerite or even smokeless powder and putting them in pressurized containers like what happened with the Tsarnev's device used against the Boston Marathon or the recent bombings in New York.

SocketWrench posted:

Yeah, but a rifle exposes you to counter reactions, while bombs you can plant and leave absolving yourself of having to defend yourself or be identified. These types wouldn't have the balls to go mass shooting because they know they'd be found. the idea here is to terrorize and run away to live and terrorize another day/be praised for the eye opener you are. People that go mass shooting generally don't expect to get out of it without at least prison time. Just like these bozos on trial. Once the poo poo was gonna get real and poor babby's might get arrested, they loving scattered like roaches when the light's flicked on.

And even with gun control, it'll just come down to knives like what happened recently and that even has higher exposure. It may be possible for a mass shooter to escape from police dragnet to fight another day, but with the age of mass surveillance, it's more unlikely.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
don't even need a knife, just drive a truck into people

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Another OKC bombing would bring about the use of persistence surveillance systems used against IEDs in Iraq and Afghanistan, but on American soil.

You constantly fly drones above cities loaded with cameras and take aerial photos every second. Someone detonates a bomb you zoom in on the area and browse through photos back in time. Find the guy who planted the bomb and then follow them forward into the present.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Young Freud posted:

Or collecting low explosives like tannerite or even smokeless powder and putting them in pressurized containers like what happened with the Tsarnev's device used against the Boston Marathon or the recent bombings in New York.
Some idiot in my state filled up a barrel with 50 pounds of tannerite and shot it. Rattling a bunch of windows in town. Then he acted like the cops were abusing their power when he got arrested for it. Of course he had a felony domestic assault charge so he wasn't supposed to be handling a firearm regardless of all the other dumb poo poo involved.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

im glad lavoy was shot and killed, too bad the rest of them still breath. if his widow wins the lawsuit, when zimmerman walked, then we all deserve to be swallowed by the oceans

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Percelus posted:

im glad lavoy was shot and killed, too bad the rest of them still breath. if his widow wins the lawsuit, when zimmerman walked, then we all deserve to be swallowed by the oceans

It is impossible for her to win without having some crazy sovcit judge hearing her case. Even then it'll be overturned on appeal because it's "man gets out of car after running roadblock, keeps reaching for pockets while being told to raise his hands" and having it all on tape? Sure LaVoy was white but even that has its limits.

.Edward Penischin
Jun 5, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

It seems like just about every attempted terrorist bombing gets foiled by someone contacting an FBI informant by accident. Are there any legit black market bomb component sellers out there or is the whole market just undercover agents?

Asking for a friend.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Goodpancakes posted:

Another OKC bombing would bring about the use of persistence surveillance systems used against IEDs in Iraq and Afghanistan, but on American soil.

You constantly fly drones above cities loaded with cameras and take aerial photos every second. Someone detonates a bomb you zoom in on the area and browse through photos back in time. Find the guy who planted the bomb and then follow them forward into the present.

I doubt that. It would, however, bring another massive infiltration and crackdown of militia and sov cit groups though. The only thing that allowed them to grow back since the OC bombing was they kept their poo poo mostly under control.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Casimir Radon posted:

Some idiot in my state filled up a barrel with 50 pounds of tannerite and shot it. Rattling a bunch of windows in town. Then he acted like the cops were abusing their power when he got arrested for it. Of course he had a felony domestic assault charge so he wasn't supposed to be handling a firearm regardless of all the other dumb poo poo involved.

The felony on his record is likely what resulted in the arrest. Normally tannerite has a legal exemption for sporting use, much like black powder: it's legal to own and detonate until you commit a crime with it, at which point you can get hauled in.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It might be pushing the “sporting” exemption to rattle the town windows with 50 lbs. of the stuff.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 16:42 on Oct 16, 2016

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I fully support police aggression against violent abusers using guns and explosives

E: there are two meanings to this sentence and I support both

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

The felony on his record is likely what resulted in the arrest. Normally tannerite has a legal exemption for sporting use, much like black powder: it's legal to own and detonate until you commit a crime with it, at which point you can get hauled in.
You can still get hit with improper use. There was some other idiot recently who nearly lost his leg after blowing up a lawnmower with Tannerite.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Casimir Radon posted:

You can still get hit with improper use. There was some other idiot recently who nearly lost his leg after blowing up a lawnmower with Tannerite.

he did lose his leg

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Casimir Radon posted:

lmao 'nearly'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6V0S1m5a7U

I fully support police aggression against violent abusers using guns and explosives

E: there are two meanings to this sentence and I support both

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

chitoryu12 posted:

At the same time, sporting uses of tannerite are typically a pound or less at a time. Fifty pounds is pretty much "sweet jesus why."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ullerrm posted:

At the same time, sporting uses of tannerite are typically a pound or less at a time. Fifty pounds is pretty much "sweet jesus why."

It's fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iheHp5QXDg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edRbcTXAijY

For the record, tannerite is about $10 per pound. That was one expensive bomb.

chitoryu12 has issued a correction as of 22:44 on Oct 16, 2016

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Sometimes someone fucks up so completely I feel waves of relief that I will never, never have to explain how I lost my leg shooting a lawnmower I personally packed full of explosives for a youtube video.

Or how I ruined my fancy shirt and blinded myself microwaving a glowstick.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Krinkle posted:

Sometimes someone fucks up so completely I feel waves of relief that I will never, never have to explain how I lost my leg shooting a lawnmower I personally packed full of explosives for a youtube video.

:eng101: AWESOME SHIRT!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Krinkle posted:

Well poo poo, I think I'm gonna buy a bunch of blank shirts and hang them in front off a microwave full of glowsticks then sell the results online.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

It might be pushing the “sporting” exemption to rattle the town windows with 50 lbs. of the stuff.

No, it's like how a baseball has sporting uses so it's legal to throw one through someone's window.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Platystemon posted:

Yeah, that's disturbing the peace at the least. You can't have people lighting off poo poo like that on a regular basis

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Lol at "aww it blew my leg off"

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Krinkle posted:

Some folk will never lose a leg,
But then again, some folk'll...

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

Goodpancakes posted:

They already do that in Baltimore
https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-baltimore-secret-surveillance/

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That article kinda emphasizes why that kind of surveillance is a scary thought: sure, it could be used to do a CSI Oklahoma City trace of an individual from a bomb site and track them down. But more than likely it'll be used by an incredibly corrupt and brutal police force to keep an eye on everyone so you can use the footage against them if they ever try to take an officer to court.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

The Unabomber even made things harder for detectives by planting false clues in his bombs, like initials and fake messages that would mislead the investigation. One of the big things that led to him getting caught was his demand to have his manifesto released, which his brother read and found startlingly similar to poo poo his brother said and wrote in the past. It's possible he wouldn't have been caught (at least not for a long time) had he not tried to get his writings out into the world with the same phrasing he always used.

Didn't they also manage to link the van to him? I remember reading that it was a rental so it couldn't be traced to the owner. But they found enough numbers to identify it on the parts (it was like a serial on an axle tied to the VIN) then traced it to the rental shop, who gave all the deets they had. Which were then traced back to the right person.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Didn't they also manage to link the van to him? I remember reading that it was a rental so it couldn't be traced to the owner. But they found enough numbers to identify it on the parts (it was like a serial on an axle tied to the VIN) then traced it to the rental shop, who gave all the deets they had. Which were then traced back to the right person.

Ted Kaczynski and Timothy McVeigh are two different people.

e- lol wildly different, too. One was a radical leftist, one was a radical right winger.

e2- that's not really fair actually, Kaczynski was more of an anarchist who had issues with the left, too, but the point still stands

Seizure Meat has issued a correction as of 18:46 on Oct 17, 2016

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ted was also full on sovcit while McVeigh just had lost all faith in the government.

I misread that and was thinking of Terry Nichols. He was the full on sovcit part of the OKC thing. Ted wasn't, though.

Mr. Nice! has issued a correction as of 04:38 on Oct 18, 2016

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

quote:

On May 24, 2012, Kaczynski submitted his current information to the Harvard University alumni association. He listed his eight life sentences as "awards" and his current occupation as "prisoner."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/788078374820339712