Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

ninjahedgehog posted:

Minor nitpick: I wish dual-wielding revolvers made Wang shoot them while alternating hands instead of firing both at once. Also, that the dual-wield gem worked on the sawn-off shotgun. :sigh:

For as good as this game is, not allowing the duel wield gem on everything is the biggest ball drop I've seen in a video game in a while. I don't care if it does 75% less damage, lemme dual wield rocket launchers goddamnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone know what happens after you beat the game? Is there a NG+ or some sort of post-game content or something?

Deakul posted:

Don't do this to me, I've been playing it for like 12 hours and never once got a weapon from a chest.

I've been playing for about 15 hours and I think I got 2 weapons from chests specifically.
So it's rare but it does happen.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You can just start a new game with the same character if you want to, but there's no formal scaling mode or anything like that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Orv posted:

You can just start a new game with the same character if you want to, but there's no formal scaling mode or anything like that.

Shame. I was hoping for an extra hard NG+ or something.

I guess after I finish the game I'll be running melee-only Insane mode.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Jack Trades posted:

You can change difficulty and retain everything for that character. So if you really want to play around with your broke-rear end character on insane, you could.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Hopefully some kind of NG+ features are a post-release priority, I figure that's a pretty important part of any Diablo-esque game, even a simpler one like this.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Geight posted:

Hopefully some kind of NG+ features are a post-release priority, I figure that's a pretty important part of any Diablo-esque game, even a simpler one like this.

I would like some sort of Arena Mode DLC that would scale to your character and then just let you fight progressively more powerful waves of enemies.

All the Borderlands games and Diablo-likes usually have something like that and IMO it would make a good fit for SW2 as well.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Elite Herculon that's just a single leg hopping along

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

I think melee is actually the easier way to play Insane. If you want to do real hard mode Insane don't put any points in to Serene Mind. :v:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Phoix posted:

I think melee is actually the easier way to play Insane. If you want to do real hard mode Insane don't put any points in to Serene Mind. :v:

Ugh. Serene Mind Lvl 5 seriously needs to be nerfed by at least 50%.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ehhhhh, I don't think this game needs to have a balancing pass done to it. If you don't want to abuse the crazy poo poo, don't, part of why it's cool is you can do some really dumb stuff with the skill system.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jack Trades posted:

Ugh. Serene Mind Lvl 5 seriously needs to be nerfed by at least 50%.
But I love keeping enemies in an infinite loop of being on their rear end with my Chi Blast spam.

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

Goddammit if I have a shotgun with a drum magazine don't make me wait until the whole thing is loaded before I can shoot again, let me fire any shells I've put in

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Melee only insane sure was easy. Time to pump up karma and money drops and finish the achievements I guess.

Finished with 62 guns + 5 still on Larry.

Took me 21 hours.

Jusupov fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 16, 2016

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

serene mind is fine really, there are plenty of ways to just obliterate everything instantly and chi powers are way at the bottom of that list

I don't think I've even cast one power since like 3 missions in

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is co op something you have to get into from the word go (or not, but if you and your buddy are too disparate level wise then :getout:) or is it friendly? Thinking about picking this up for me and my brother, but we'd only be able to play together once in a while.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Is co op something you have to get into from the word go (or not, but if you and your buddy are too disparate level wise then :getout:) or is it friendly? Thinking about picking this up for me and my brother, but we'd only be able to play together once in a while.

My experience with CoOp is nobody talking, everyone dashing around aimlessly shooting monsters and losing each other and about 50% performance drop.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

we've been playing on a lan and haven't had too many performance issues

mission progress is only tracked for the host, level disparity doesn't matter at all

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ciaphas posted:

Player stats don't affect damage at all and enemies don't have levels so your level doesn't matter. Co-op is drop in/drop out from any point in either person's campaign, and mission progress made as a partner doesn't carry over to their own game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Night Blade posted:

My experience with CoOp is nobody talking, everyone dashing around aimlessly shooting monsters and losing each other and about 50% performance drop.

Is there even a chat of any kind? I played coop with one random guy once and I couldn't find any means of communication other than shooting at stuff.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Night Blade posted:

I don't think there's either voice chat or text chat, which is weird. Definitely makes me want to play it through solo first because it was hard to coordinate anything with 3 players.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Player stats don't affect damage at all and enemies don't have levels so your level doesn't matter. Co-op is drop in/drop out from any point in either person's campaign, and mission progress made as a partner doesn't carry over to their own game.

Do other people in multiplayer still make progress in all ways that aren't mission completion? Skills/weapons/weapon upgrades, etc

I want to play from start to finish in co-op as long as the non-host player still stays on par with the host in every way.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

yes you keep everything but the mission completion progress when you're in another person's game

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thanks for the feedback, just finished installing. We'll see after some play if it's the kind of thing my brother'd like before I buy his copy.

Thoughts on starting difficulty?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks for the feedback, just finished installing. We'll see after some play if it's the kind of thing my brother'd like before I buy his copy.

Thoughts on starting difficulty?

Hard. Definitely.

It quickly turns into a cakewalk on Hard, so I imagine it getting pretty dull on Normal.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

How to make the worst part of the game less annoying:

* Don't touch the inventory during the mission. Wait until you're in the hub.
* Junk everything in the "Weapon Upgrades" category (it's all just boring and pointless stat bonuses).
* Stack every weapon with nothing but fun unique mods (like Akimbo or Turret) and Elemental mods.

I've been playing that way on Hard for a while now and the game honestly flows sooooo much better when you
don't stop every 5 seconds to optimize your guns.
Also the less time you spend on spreadsheets the more time you spend carving monsters and giving them the Wang.

ftfy

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

serene mind is fine really, there are plenty of ways to just obliterate everything instantly and chi powers are way at the bottom of that list

I don't think I've even cast one power since like 3 missions in

Yea once you gem up some weapons for higher dps, even a single life drain mod or two(in your weapon or armor) basically make you invincible even on the highest difficulty setting. And you really don't need to use vanish to one shot stuff / hide when everything is dead.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 16, 2016

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

ftfy

Yea once you gem up some weapons for higher dps 2 life drain mods(in your weapon or armor) basically make you invincible even on the highest difficulty setting. And you really don't need to use vanish to one shot stuff / hide when everything is dead.

But it's fun being an invisible dick and ram into mobs and unload all over them.

InfinityComplex fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 16, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I just wish Vanish's damage bonus applied to guns as well as melee weapons. :allears:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Protip: put the two-for-one shot and a % ammo saver mod on the Raven. Watch bad guys loving melt. :stare:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Tecman posted:

Man, this game really surprised me how good it actually turned out; I was worried about its shift from what it was in the first reboot game, but wow do the changes work well in this one and make it far superior from the first (well, second).

And then I played a bit yesterday in co-op and it was even more amazing... it really is a Borderlands-type game done right with DOOM-speed combat, fun to use weapons with interesting designs, absolutely gorgeous locations (CANNOT STOP SCREENSHOTTING) with its interesting aesthetic mix of worldly and otherworldly, so-poo poo-jokes-they're-actually-good-again and just flat out fun gameplay due to its freedom of movement and tons of customization options.

I guess the only real downside so far for me is that there is TOO MUCH LOOT TO PICK UP. After every fight we had to spend some time to find all the drops and spawned loot all over the map - there's a bit too much of that I feel. Secret hunting is back and it is awesome, however.

I do wish the story felt a bit more... focused, I liked that in the 2013 game.

I agree with all of this. Between this, Doom, and Battlefield 1, this year's had more than its fair share of surprisingly amazing single-player experiences.

Also the humor really reminds me of Xavier: Renegade Angel where its so loving stupid it's amazing in its stupidity. Master Smith reminds me a lot of the mentor character from that show.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The charge-shot gem on the sawnoff is pretty amazing.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

What's with the reload delay of you use the double-barrel upgrade on the sawn-off? It seems like I just sit around with my dick Wang in my hand while the circle spins around before the reload animation even starts.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That happens to all the weapons you can use it on (grenade launcher included), it kinda sucks. I guess it's to keep you from like quadrupling your DPS with just one mod with the double-barrel shotguns. It pairs real well with the skill that passively reloads your guns while you're switched away from them, though, because that skill also affects the cooldown you get from the mod.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zereth posted:

I'm going off the figure people have said and going through how many I have in each category and using a calculator. I have 62 weapons and there's reportedly 70.

I'm guessing this is counting the dlc weapons like the chainsaw sword and the gold guns.

I have 68 weapons including the chainsaw sword dlc and the last 2 named elites(red skull on minimap) I killed didn't drop a weapon.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm guessing this is counting the dlc weapons like the chainsaw sword and the gold guns.

There are gold guns?

edit: Oh, they're from the deluxe edition.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I have 68 weapons including the chainsaw sword dlc and the last 2 named elites(red skull on minimap) I killed didn't drop a weapon.
... It probably does! However I'm missing at least one thing that was offered as a mission reward, so even not counting deluxe I'm not complete yet.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

ninjahedgehog posted:

What's with the reload delay of you use the double-barrel upgrade on the sawn-off? It seems like I just sit around with my dick Wang in my hand while the circle spins around before the reload animation even starts.

protip: you can switch weapons and that cooldown still goes down, combined with the passive reload card already mentioned you can just rotate through your multibarreled/oneshot weapons murdering everything

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

you can just rotate through your multibarreled/oneshot weapons murdering everything

This is a good videogame.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

What's the purpose of the ammo counter on the chainsaw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

electrigger
Dec 18, 2005

so gay and you don't even like boys
Is there any rhyme or reason to the crafting? It looks like you pretty much jump in quality one or two steps but i've tried things like using 3 toxic gems to make a better toxic gem but it gave me cold instead, etc.

• Locked thread