Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Forever_Peace posted:

Nope, still meaningful. Yeah it's a major bummer we probably aren't going to meet the 2C goal, but 4C and 6C warming scenarios are so much worse it almost boggles the mind.

And not just for us humans. The business as usual path completely devastates the vast majority of sea and terrestrial animal life.

EVERYTHING we can do is absolutely critical.

inebibtn

I don't disagree with that and should have been more clear that a carbon tax in 10 years is of course still preferable to none at all. Things can always, always be worse. But there is still a lot of magical thinking going on that beginning efforts now will mean that things are not going to get very bad already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Mozi posted:

I don't disagree with that and should have been more clear that a carbon tax in 10 years is of course still preferable to none at all. Things can always, always be worse. But there is still a lot of magical thinking going on that beginning efforts now will mean that things are not going to get very bad already.

Indeed, at these summits not only should carbon tax frameworks be setup, but also a relief framework. Some agreed upon plan in place when a nearby city collapses to handle the situation, instead of hastily building a fence and chasing refugees down railroad tracks

Instead they pretend their carbon tax or X C degree goal is going to avoid any catastrophic result which is not even policy impossible, but physically impossible.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Forgive me because I'm not a climatologist, but I thought the reason 2C was chosen as a watershed moment was once we pass 2C, we may lose control of the entire warming process due to positive feedback loops? If that's the case, then a treaty that still gets us over 2C, while being a positive in absolute terms, isn't a very effective treaty

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Forgive me because I'm not a climatologist, but I thought the reason 2C was chosen as a watershed moment was once we pass 2C, we may lose control of the entire warming process due to positive feedback loops? If that's the case, then a treaty that still gets us over 2C, while being a positive in absolute terms, isn't a very effective treaty

Because the treaty wasn't meant to be a solution to climate change and no one involved thinks it is. Instead it is just one of many treaties we will need. But the fact we got together and did this so quickly after Paris went into effect is a good sign.

Someone will now jump on me for daring to see something positive when it doesn't solve climate change, but I think they fail to understand the scope of the problem.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Trabisnikof posted:

Because the treaty wasn't meant to be a solution to climate change and no one involved thinks it is. Instead it is just one of many treaties we will need. But the fact we got together and did this so quickly after Paris went into effect is a good sign.

Someone will now jump on me for daring to see something positive when it doesn't solve climate change, but I think they fail to understand the scope of the problem.

I mean sure, it's a good thing. I don't disagree.

But negotiating and signing treaties takes resources and it seems a little weird to spend that time and energy negotiating a treaty that doesn't actually address the major existential crisis facing humanity in the next 20-30 years.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Penisaurus Sex posted:

But negotiating and signing treaties takes resources and it seems a little weird to spend that time and energy negotiating a treaty that doesn't actually address the major existential crisis facing humanity in the next 20-30 years.

The major hurdle internationally is to get everyone to acknowledge that there is a problem and that we all need to work together to solve it. Until we come to that understanding major change cannot happen. These treaties are the start of that happening.

If we went just based off of the evidence rather than having to face political realities we would have been addressing this problem in the 70s or 80s instead of now. Unfortunately we don't live in that reality.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Raldikuk posted:

The major hurdle internationally is to get everyone to acknowledge that there is a problem and that we all need to work together to solve it. Until we come to that understanding major change cannot happen. These treaties are the start of that happening.

If we went just based off of the evidence rather than having to face political realities we would have been addressing this problem in the 70s or 80s instead of now. Unfortunately we don't live in that reality.

How much time do you think we have left? If these are 'the start' how long does it take before we really address the major problem? 5 years? Maybe 10?

At some point, the situation isn't "we can act while we still have time." I think we passed that point probably a decade ago.

I'm not saying negotiating emissions is useless and we should stop or anything like that. I'm saying that we should be using our time and energy to do the most with what time we have left, and we don't have much time left to conduct these negotiations in relatively peaceful, stable times.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I'm glad you think it's a good thing, some posters consider it meaningless or bad.

But why would you feel a treaty that ends the use of one of the most climate damaging set of chemicals, thus stopping potential warming before 2100, not addressing part of climate change?

I don't imagine that they could have just sat down for another week and banged out a treaty that solves climate change. The international process doesn't really work like that. But don't imagine this is the only treaty under negotiation about climate right now.

Specifically this is a modification of Montreal that deals specifically with refrigeratants and is already signed and binding and included a mechanism to ban replacement chemicals if they turn out to be bad in another way. So that's why this meeting tackled this specific set of chemicals: they have short term climate harm and we can act to ban them now within existing frameworks.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Trabisnikof posted:

I think what's happening is a bunch of people talking past each other because they disagree on what emotion to react with after the agreement. It seems there's two reactions:
1. The agreement is good because it makes a small difference, and we need to do more things to stop climate change
2. The agreement is bad because it makes a small difference, and we need to do more things to stop climate change

This small difference in reaction is almost completely irrelevant, since both are calling for further action and acknowledge that, obviously, this single agreement-- like literally any single action--will not solve climate change. People are far too quick to attack each other and assume the worst.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

Uranium Phoenix posted:

I think what's happening is a bunch of people talking past each other because they disagree on what emotion to react with after the agreement. It seems there's two reactions:
1. The agreement is good because it makes a small difference, and we need to do more things to stop climate change
2. The agreement is bad because it makes a small difference, and we need to do more things to stop climate change

This small difference in reaction is almost completely irrelevant, since both are calling for further action and acknowledge that, obviously, this single agreement-- like literally any single action--will not solve climate change. People are far too quick to attack each other and assume the worst.

Nailed it

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Agreed!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Precisely and well put. Particularly in this thread people go for each others' throats over minutiae because That's Internet Posting, and that phenomenon combined with the legitimately difficult perception of and emotions involved in coming to grips with the existential threat of AGW leads to some (and I'm not accusing or blaming here) wild reactions.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
It really seems like if anyone was taking this seriously they would be massively doubling down on backing and implementing large scale meaningful carbon sequestration (and not the fake biofuels carbon sequestration nonsense), and instead we are still closing our eyes and hoping we can somehow continue to do as little as possible and foist as much of that onto other people as possible, because carbon sequestration is hard and expensive and not even worth talking about because of it even though it is literally the only option left that doesn't result in rapid, massive amounts of warming and soon.

Squalid posted:

I'm not sure why so many people seem to think any kind of collective action on climate change is simply an impossible pipe dream. It's like they heard the parable of the tragedy of the commons one time and decided the problem was literally insurmountable.

Any kind of meaningful collective action certainly seems to be, and its a reasonable view since it's been failing for decades and continues to fail, and the best we have managed is occasionally convincing someone not to punch an additional hole in the side of our sinking vessel, and half the time they do it anyway. Even those victories largely rest on the solutions being convenient - if other cooling options weren't abundant and almost as readily available, I doubt even most western countries would have bothered to ban the worst poo poo. Every advance we have made so far on the issue has been primarily technological.

meaningful collective action has already failed, except insofar as its been capable of helping support technological solutions that weren't too expensive and didn't really burden anyone, which, I mean, that's great and I am glad we at least managed that, but it can barely be called collective action, and real solutions are gonna take more than collective action - they are going to take collective sacrifice, and that's never going to happen

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Large scale CCS isn't happening anytime soon and doubling down on it would be a terrible idea since it's expensive and not guaranteed to ever mature to a meaningful level. It's almost as much of a hail mary as just hoping that some magical geoengineering technology will come along.

Our options to "solve" this problem in a way that will actually minimize damage (as opposed to simply salvage things so that we aren't also loving over the people of the next century) boil down to drastically reducing consumption in developed nations or somehow forcing developing nations to take one for the team that already hosed them over and curtail emissions. On the bright side, the former will probably happen over time anyway as the effects of climate change impede economic growth.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Yep. There is no long term plan that doesn't revolve around a post carbon economy. The only way to get there is a relentless and unceasing push against complacency. Cynicism is yielding to the status quo.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Edit: Summary, apparently most of the people in this thread have already given up and are content to play make believe, because anything that could help is infeasible and impossible so its fine to stick to things that wont.

So i guess therea not much point in talking about it if thats where we stand, haha. Thanks thread for helping reach this level of comfort with the inevitable.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 17, 2016

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Nobody in this thread has given up. The problem is that reliance on the sorts of hypothetical solutions you're advocating is the moral hazard. If we behave as if future technology will suck emissions out of the air at mass scale, it decreases the pressure for countries to act rationally with their choices NOW (ie do the hard work of reducing emissions). They can play with house money. It'd be awesome if a technology did come along that helped significantly, but it's a gamble in which you could easily end up losing everything.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

What I find peculiar is that everyone here seems to have accepted 2C change as happening but because we're attempting (poorly) to prevent a 6C scenario, everything is fine.

everythings-fine-on-fire.jpg

What's even funnier is that even the climate change scientist credited with first proposing for a 2C max target in the 70s is now saying 2C is too much.

Folks like trabisniskof strike me as suggesting two bullets in the head is good because hey, at least it's not 6.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
The level of discussion in this thread is a p good example of why it's hard to coordinate on real action

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Space Hamlet posted:

The level of discussion in this thread is a p good example of why it's hard to coordinate on real action

Yuuuuup

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

shrike82 posted:

What I find peculiar is that everyone here seems to have accepted 2C change as happening but because we're attempting (poorly) to prevent a 6C scenario, everything is fine.

everythings-fine-on-fire.jpg

What's even funnier is that even the climate change scientist credited with first proposing for a 2C max target in the 70s is now saying 2C is too much.

Folks like trabisniskof strike me as suggesting two bullets in the head is good because hey, at least it's not 6.

More like I'd rather play Russian Roulette with 2 bullets in the revolver instead of 6.

And any movement we can make towards fewer bullets is good even if doesn't get us to put the gun down.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

More like I'd rather play Russian Roulette with 2 bullets in the revolver instead of 6.

And any movement we can make towards fewer bullets is good even if doesn't get us to put the gun down.

Says the guy in favor of clean coal and is anti-nuclear power generation.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

shrike82 posted:

You haven't spent much time here. This is the biggest, saddest, most depressed place I know of on the internet. Everything is bad at this point, its just some things are worse than others. If you would suggest implementing a plan to keep warming under 2C, I would think you're naive and don't appreciate the scale of the problem, at all.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Nah, i think stuff like limited nuclear exchanges and reproductive limits are more realistic solutions but apparently people prefer "let's use energy saving light bulbs" faux solutions.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Forever_Peace posted:

Nobody in this thread has given up. The problem is that reliance on the sorts of hypothetical solutions you're advocating is the moral hazard. If we behave as if future technology will suck emissions out of the air at mass scale, it decreases the pressure for countries to act rationally with their choices NOW (ie do the hard work of reducing emissions). They can play with house money. It'd be awesome if a technology did come along that helped significantly, but it's a gamble in which you could easily end up losing everything.

You've got the right idea of things, but you've got it exactly backwards. This "reducing emissions" bullshit is the moral hazard - it's the easy but ultimately meaningless solution that frees politicians up from having to pursue the difficult work of developing the technological and industrial capacity to actually make a difference and let's them shift all the blame to poor third world countries, and it's something we aren't even accomplishing even we celebrate every small "victory" that actually gets us further away from the goal.

You say you haven't given up, but it's pretty obvious you've at least closed your eyes to reality.

You're arguing against "relying on a hypothetical" and "gambling" while advocating we limit our activities to things we know don't work and won't work to make things better and at best will make things infinitely worse at a slower rate, because anything with even a chance of making things better isn't worth pursuing because it's a gamble. That is giving up.

shrike82 posted:

Nah, i think stuff like limited nuclear exchanges and reproductive limits are more realistic solutions but apparently people prefer "let's use energy saving light bulbs" faux solutions.

How is this in any way a solution, though? It's still just 'things get constantly worse but slower' territory.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Not to dismiss this possibility which is real and frightening, but last time I checked there was a lot of uncertainty regarding climate feedback loops. The truth is we don't really know exactly how the climate will react, which is one reason why it's so important to keep carbon concentrations as low as possible, we don't really know where the limit is before something catastrophic happens.

I've noticed Arkane uses a very interesting approach to his climate denialism that I never see used anywhere else, where he systematically understates the uncertainty in our understanding of the climate-in his world trends were linear, accurately measured and clearly predictable. The truth is there are terrible risks that we cannot afford to gamble on, and we frequently find serious problems in the science that we had failed to account for. The kind of errors in our understanding of the climate that necessitated the revisions this year of sea-surface and some satellite temperature records are not accounted for in this mindset, at great risk to the environment and even civilization.

However there exists among many in the climate activist community an opposite personality, who systematically over estimates the risks of climate catastrophes. Every new threat is treated as a certainty, regardless of how preliminary the data or limited our understanding. All the risks have to be addressed yes, but we should understand that even in worse case scenarios not every calamity must come to pass.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

How is this in any way a solution, though? It's still just 'things get constantly worse but slower' territory.

Look up-thread at folks who talk big about climate activism but go denialist when faced with the statement that not having children is the biggest singular thing they can achieve in their lifetimes to reduce their carbon footprint. Or at a societal level for a polity to impose restrictions on reproductive rights. The one child policy in China, now dead, is probably the single government policy that has had the most impact on climate change.

I'm not going to give up my kids are you?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

If you're options are "slightly delay loss" and "slight chance of a win", you should be throwing all of your resources at the second and paying attention to the first only to the extent that it increases your chances of succeeding with the second (which means there will still be quite a bit of the first, but acting as if that is somehow enough is insane)

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

BattleMoose posted:

[quote="GlyphGryph" post="465419277"]
You've got the right idea of things, but you've got it exactly backwards. This "reducing emissions" bullshit is the moral hazard - it's the easy but ultimately meaningless solution that frees politicians up from having to pursue the difficult work of developing the technological and industrial capacity to actually make a difference and let's them shift all the blame to poor third world countries, and it's something we aren't even accomplishing even we celebrate every small "victory" that actually gets us further away from the goal.

You say you haven't given up, but it's pretty obvious you've at least closed your eyes to reality.

You're arguing against "relying on a hypothetical" and "gambling" while advocating we limit our activities to things we know don't work and won't work to make things better and at best will make things infinitely worse at a slower rate, because anything with even a chance of making things better isn't worth pursuing because it's a gamble. That is giving up.

Reducing emissions is a moral hazzard? You guys should stop and listen to yourselves for a second, you aren't making any drat sense.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Squalid posted:

However there exists among many in the climate activist community an opposite personality, who systematically over estimates the risks of climate catastrophes. Every new threat is treated as a certainty, regardless of how preliminary the data or limited our understanding. All the risks have to be addressed yes, but we should understand that even in worse case scenarios not every calamity must come to pass.

LOL, yeah those climatologists are always overstating things

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

shrike82 posted:

LOL, yeah those climatologists are always overstating things

Climatologists generally aren't saying "everything is hosed, go commit suicide right now".

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Man James Hansen saying 2C is too much is certainly equivalent to "go commit suicide right now"
Exactly the kind of bullshit I'm talking about

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

shrike82 posted:

Man James Hansen saying 2C is too much is certainly equivalent to "go commit suicide right now"
Exactly the kind of bullshit I'm talking about

You saying "we need population control and nuclear exchanges" is equivalent to that.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Cool. I literally just posted a paper from Science that discusses the moral hazard of Carbon capture reliance on exhaustive detail. But hey, maybe they'd be interested in hearing your Black people are the real racists "climate scientists are the real idiots" perspective as well. I'd guess they may be less than impressed, but as should be obvious, I've closed my eyes to reality so who knows.

Actually I'm just going to spare the thread more snark and just avail of myself of the ignore button. Sorry, I'll check back in a few months from now.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

shrike82 posted:

Look up-thread at folks who talk big about climate activism but go denialist when faced with the statement that not having children is the biggest singular thing they can achieve in their lifetimes to reduce their carbon footprint. Or at a societal level for a polity to impose restrictions on reproductive rights. The one child policy in China, now dead, is probably the single government policy that has had the most impact on climate change.

I'm not going to give up my kids are you?

It's kind of weird how you appear to be using the word denialist like a slur. Trabisnikof hasn't made any statements remotely reminiscent of climate denialism, even if I still think his position regarding the effect of personal family planning is false.

What's your deal anyway. You haven't really made any coherent arguments in this thread, you're just kind of flailing angrily about without any discernible purpose

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

computer parts posted:

You saying "we need population control and nuclear exchanges" is equivalent to that.

Looking at Syria, I think we're already in the midst of GCC-driven conflict so too late.
But let's go back to magitech CCS solutions that you're fond of

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

shrike82 posted:

Looking at Syria, I think we're already in the midst of GCC-driven conflict so too late.

So nuking Syria would prevent climate change, good to know.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Squalid posted:

It's kind of weird how you appear to be using the word denialist like a slur. Trabisnikof hasn't made any statements remotely reminiscent of climate denialism, even if I still think his position regarding the effect of personal family planning is false.

What's your deal anyway. You haven't really made any coherent arguments in this thread, you're just kind of flailing angrily about without any discernible purpose

No I take issue with someone being pro-coal and anti-nuke pretending to have a solution for GCC.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Forever_Peace posted:

Cool. I literally just posted a paper from Science that discusses the moral hazard of Carbon capture reliance on exhaustive detail. But hey, maybe they'd be interested in hearing your Black people are the real racists "climate scientists are the real idiots" perspective as well. I'd guess they may be less than impressed, but as should be obvious, I've closed my eyes to reality so who knows.

Actually I'm just going to spare the thread more snark and just avail of myself of the ignore button. Sorry, I'll check back in a few months from now.

Nooo don't leave me with them... At least the suicidally depressed guy seems to have left or at least stopped posting his fantasies about self-euthanization clinics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

What

Of all the things to call Trabisnikof want to call him pro-coal? :psyduck: