Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Two things from the beginning:

I didn't know Godzilla would have multiple mutations in this movie, so when he first showed up in all his googly-eyed radioactive chicken glory I absolutely lost it. My buddies and I laughed so hard we cried. It was amazing.

I loved the constant conference room/meeting/press conference scenes in the first half. Brilliant satire and totally unexpected. I don't think my theater audience "got it" though, because 1/3 of them had walked out after 15 minutes.

Overall, really great and I can't wait for the inevitable sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Son. of. a. bitch.

The only showings are on Saturday when I am covering for a coworker's personal tragedy and Tuesday when I can not absolutely get off work.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I got curious and checked and apparently Godzilla played at one theater only once today and there are no other showings of it anywhere at least for the next week that fandango is showing me???

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

I got curious and checked and apparently Godzilla played at one theater only once today and there are no other showings of it anywhere at least for the next week that fandango is showing me???

Limited Engagement from October 11-18th. The local theater here just has it twice.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Bah!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Seeing it Saturday. Signed up for the AMC Stubs thing since that's my usual theater. Gotta get that Doctor Strange poster.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Seeing a Sunday Matinee of it in Berkeley with my 11 year old niece. Her first big screen Godzilla. I'm so proud :3:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'm going to see Shin Godzilla again in a few days. It was loving rad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I saw it last night and really dug it but they probably should have done some better advertising because a group brought a couple of little kids to see it and the movie is definitely not kid friendly. Content wise it is fine (although Godzilla's appearance might be a little too scary for some) but the movie is in subtitled Japanese and most of it is about government officials dealing with Godzilla's appearance.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

spooky like this! posted:

I saw it last night and really dug it but they probably should have done some better advertising because a group brought a couple of little kids to see it and the movie is definitely not kid friendly. Content wise it is fine (although Godzilla's appearance might be a little too scary for some) but the movie is in subtitled Japanese and most of it is about government officials dealing with Godzilla's appearance.

It's never too early to learn proper Godzilla response procedure.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

spooky like this! posted:

Haha yeah there was a kid crying at the climax in my showing. I couldn't help but laugh. I can't imagine that kid had a great time following a movie like this through subtitles.

It was a pretty intense movie. The big scene towards the middle might be the most spectacularly destructive scene in any of the Godzilla films so far. Overall it reminds me of the 54 original more than anything else. It's apparently been a smash hit in Japan so we'll surely get a sequel and hopefully a full series out of this. Really curious what a sequel to this would look like given the ...situation set up by the ending.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

It is exactly what I expected from a Hideaki Anno Godzilla movie and I mean that in the best possible way
I don't exactly follow Godzilla news, well, at all really, but I honestly had no idea Anno was involved and now it has rocketed to my must-see list.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
I got some more updates regarding the Doctor Strange AMC IMAX-Exclusive poster.

Image of both poster versions: http://imgur.com/vHULEW4

Apparently, according to the rep I spoke with on Facebook (Amanda), the first poster is not a blacklight poster - only the second one (being offered on November 13th). The color version is fine with me (I'm going on 11/3, I got my ticket this morning), as I don't have a blacklight anyways. It's still a really cool "out-there" design.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
poo poo, I completely spaced on Shin Godzilla. I might be able to catch it on Monday or Tuesday.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

There are no showings in the UK, at all it seems :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Makes sense, the UK is pretty sensitive to movies that criticize their history of aggressive nuclear warfare.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It is the first Godzilla movie where France saves everyone's rear end, so with the whole Brexit thing they might not want to be reminded of how great Europe is.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This is apparently taken from promotional material for Dr. Strange in Asia.

https://twitter.com/TheAvengersIndo/status/786734988284665862/photo/1

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Codependent Poster posted:

Bandora?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

I only read the one issue, but the minorus were in the mcu prequel comic.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shin Godzilla was cool and good. Glad I saw it though I nearly passed out since I went to a midnight showing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Endless Mike posted:

Shin Godzilla was cool and good. Glad I saw it though I nearly passed out since I went to a midnight showing.

Yea I really enjoyed it. I like how it was basically Japanese Bureaucracy The Movie.

And Nico in the MCU would make me super happy.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Isn't Runaways getting a Hulu series?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Roth posted:

Isn't Runaways getting a Hulu series?

Yes it is. And apparently Nico's mother has a cameo in Dr. Strange.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Oh dang, that's the most exciting thing about the movie for me if I'm being totally honest.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Is Shin Godzilla actiony enough to entertain a 4 year old or does it drag a lot?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Retro Futurist posted:

Is Shin Godzilla actiony enough to entertain a 4 year old or does it drag a lot?

There's very little action, and I don't think a 4 year old would be able to keep up with the subtitles.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Retro Futurist posted:

It's very dialogue-heavy and there's no english dub yet. I'd say 60-70% of the movie is bureaucratic satire, so any kid is gonna be bored out of their mind. If you want to show them a modern Godzilla, I'd suggest Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack because that movie is bonkers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Godzilla himself might be too scary for a 4 year old.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Just show him Godzilla 2000.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah Godzilla in this movie is essentially a skinless burn victim who aspirates blood the first time he comes ashore and goes out of his way to kill people and destroy poo poo.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, its probably one of the most brutal Godzilla movies out there. I'd also recommend Destroy All Monsters, as it has a lot, and the final fight is just nuts.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

purple death ray posted:

Yeah Godzilla in this movie is essentially a skinless burn victim who aspirates blood the first time he comes ashore and goes out of his way to kill people and destroy poo poo.

though tbf it feels like he's lashing out because he doesn't understand the horrorific pain of his own existence and why everything is terrible and trying to kill him

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Blockhouse posted:

though tbf it feels like he's lashing out because he doesn't understand the horrorific pain of his own existence and why everything is terrible and trying to kill him

Trust Hideaki Anno to cast Shinji Ikari as Godzilla.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'd say 60-70% of the movie is bureaucratic satire
Uh....ok. Is it, like, really funny or something? :/

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

redbackground posted:

Uh....ok. Is it, like, really funny or something? :/

At times, yeah. Picture a Godzilla movie as written by Aaron Sorkin.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, it was clever a lot of times, and living in DC, I think it hit pretty well on the satire.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It is very funny, yeah. They're holding meeting after meeting to determine which agency has the most jurisdiction over the situation even as a giant lizard drags itself out of the sea and starts pushing buildings over. Every character in the government is introduced with their full formal title on screen even if they have literally one line. The main character, who gets delegated more responsibilities as the film goes on, by the end his official title takes up almost the entire screen. People are avoiding any decisive actions just in case they are wrong and jockeying for future political ambitions, even as Tokyo is burning around them. It is not at all shy about its targets.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

please stop posting videos of my monday morning commute

• Locked thread