Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Currently have a chilli stew on the stove top. Nothing to do with smoked meat but it would go well as a side dish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Trying my hand at smoking again. Got a fifteen pound butt from Costco for 28 bucks. Planning to smoke it for a few hours then finish in the oven for a party on Sunday.

How long should I smoke before putting it in the oven?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

jonathan posted:

Currently have a chilli stew on the stove top. Nothing to do with smoked meat but it would go well as a side dish.

That's quitter talk! Put smoked meat in the chili next time!

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Crazyeyes posted:

Yeah I smoked a chuck roast specifically for chili and it was so good.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Crazyeyes posted:

Smoke the chili below a pork butt?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Moey posted:

Smoke the chili below a pork butt?

A bold new frontier.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

QuarkMartial posted:

Trying my hand at smoking again. Got a fifteen pound butt from Costco for 28 bucks. Planning to smoke it for a few hours then finish in the oven for a party on Sunday.

How long should I smoke before putting it in the oven?

You likely got two boneless butts. Look at my previous posts. If you can maintain a temp of 225 I'd plan on 12-14 hours to reach a temp on the meat of about 200 degrees. Plan on foiling and letting it rest at least 30 minutes. Wrapped in towels and in a cooler

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Crazyeyes posted:

drat girlfriend doesn't eat red meat or pork. I used ground chicken.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
These just went on about an hour ago.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Anyone smoke venison and what is your favorite cut to smoke? I will be filling the freezer soon and need some new ideas.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Venison is extremely lean and therefore not a good choice for the smoker. It's the breakdown of fat and connective tissue that makes the low and slow process work so well, so like pork loin, venison would end up tough and dry. I suppose you could wrap in bacon or something though, that might work.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Pulled them, wrapped them in foil, and they are finishing in a 225 degree oven cause I need sleep.

Oddly enough, one chimney of coals kept the grill at 225 for 4 hours. I'm a little surprised and suspicious of my grill's thermometer. Then again it's never done me wrong so :effort:

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

McSpankWich posted:

Venison is extremely lean and therefore not a good choice for the smoker. It's the breakdown of fat and connective tissue that makes the low and slow process work so well, so like pork loin, venison would end up tough and dry. I suppose you could wrap in bacon or something though, that might work.

I have had good vension that was smoked for a short time and then finished other ways. So I know it can be done. I just don't know the secret.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Well if you smoked it briefly until like 140 internal temp, and then gave it a quick super hot sear it would probably be alright. Or after that same pre smoke, chopping it up and make it into chili.

Mixing it with pork fat, stuffing it into sausage, and then smoking that would also be baller. Or you could go all the way to jerky.

Basically what I was saying in the first post was don't expect pulled venison because it's not happening, but yea there's other stuff. Someone who knows more about leaner meats could probably give you better ideas.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 16, 2016

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I finally remembered to take some pictures.

lifts cats over head fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 16, 2016

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

jonathan posted:

My condolences. Smoked cheese and salmon are both super tasty

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
How do you smoke cheese without melting it? I mean obviously it can be done but isn't "cold" smoke still like 150°F? I feel like that would melt the cheese.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

lifts cats over head posted:

I finally remembered to take some pictures.

I love the meaty chasms that open up in these. That looks delicious.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Basically cold smoke can be done at almost ambient temp

Just generate smoke with a single coal in an offset container then pipe the smoke into your smoker. So almost no heat makes it that far but the smoke travels up.

It's a pain but some cold smoke chicken wings before grilling them is pretty delicious.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I made a brisket and it was easy and it tasted amazing. Best brisket I've had in years. There are no good bbq that I know of around me and I don't go through central Texas much anymore.

I made a roux out of the drippings to add to the charro beans that were also cooking all day.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

jonathan posted:

Sounds like you need to reevaluate your relationship choices.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I made a brisket and it was easy and it tasted amazing. Best brisket I've had in years. There are no good bbq that I know of around me and I don't go through central Texas much anymore.

I made a roux out of the drippings to add to the charro beans that were also cooking all day.

Holy crap that looks delish. Used to live in centex and you can't get comparable q up here in Virginia.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Smoked a small 6lb butt so I could babysit the Traeger and it still went out once, even after vacuuming the hell out of it. Guess it's time to call Traeger since there's a lot of wood dust on the bottom that makes me think the pellets aren't fully combusting.

Still turned out fine since I caught it quickly and got the firepot cleaned out and restarted, but I'm fairly annoyed. Going to also try cleaning the temp probe for the controller, but it doesn't look all that dirty.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

MrUnderbridge posted:

Holy crap that looks delish. Used to live in centex and you can't get comparable q up here in Virginia.

Yeah I used to live in Austin and there's some weird inverse ratio that happens with the quality of bbq and Mexican food the closer/further from the border you get.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

MrUnderbridge posted:

Allman's and Buzz and Ned's both have pretty decent BBQ.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Worst part of only smoking two butts... there were no leftovers. Next time I am smoking four.

On the upside, my mother-in-law likes doing Sunday dinners and hinted that she might chip in on more in the future if I'll make some for the family. It makes me really happy that I can make something to eat that everyone loves and wants more of. I come from a family where you feed people, you make sure they have enough to eat. Being able to carry that forward and make something people enjoy makes me happy.

I'm still sad for my lack of leftovers though :v:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Annath posted:

Allman's and Buzz and Ned's both have pretty decent BBQ.

Didn’t see brisket at Allmans, but I'll give Buz and Neds a whirl next time I'm in Richmond.

We have a couple of places that do brisket here (V. Beach area), Belmont in Norfolk and Whitner's. Both are average at best. Usually too dry and not tender enough.

Good pulled pork in a lot of places, but after 13 years in and around Austin, I've got a real jones for that tender, moist smoky brisket like back there.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Tezcatlipoca posted:

*heavy breathing* Nicely done - that looks incredible.

Show off ya butts from this weekend

Parents came over and had some. I gave some to a few neighbor friends. We also took one to another neighbor who just had a baby. It was paired with some home made potato salad made by my wife, some baked beans, and fresh home made rolls (also supplied by my wife). Took 13 hours to reach 200 degrees internal temp. On the smoker at 3:30 AM and set to "smoke" increased to 225* at 7:30 AM. Pulled from the grill at 4:30 PM wrapped in heavy duty foil, then towels, then placed in a cooler to rest for about 30 minutes for ours. For the one that we took to friends it rested for a full two hours. The second one, which had a much better smoke ring just basically exploded as soon as I ripped into it with my bear paws. There were Ooooo's and Aaaaah's when they saw it all erupt in a delicious steamy pile of aromatic meat.

Since buying my Traeger on Memorial Day weekend I have officially burned through more than 90 pounds of pellets :stare: I have developed a smoking problem.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
So I've been nominated to take charge of the Thanksgiving turkey this year and I'd like to try it in the smoker. Anyone have a good recipe? Based off of my experience with chicken I'm planning on brining it and doing higher heat (300-350?) so that the skin crisps up. Is basting worth the loss of heat every time you open the smoker? Any other tips?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I have developed a smoking problem.

No. This type of smoking is NEVER a problem...

I know what you mean though. I would run my smoker every week if I had a reason to. And if I could afford to.

That looks really good. I bet it was tasty.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Trastion posted:

No. This type of smoking is NEVER a problem...

I know what you mean though. I would run my smoker every week if I had a reason to. And if I could afford to.

That looks really good. I bet it was tasty.

A cardiologist might disagree with you there...

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

lifts cats over head posted:

So I've been nominated to take charge of the Thanksgiving turkey this year and I'd like to try it in the smoker. Anyone have a good recipe? Based off of my experience with chicken I'm planning on brining it and doing higher heat (300-350?) so that the skin crisps up. Is basting worth the loss of heat every time you open the smoker? Any other tips?

My tips:
- Dry brine it (so you don't have soggy wet skin at the start/end)
- higher temps (~275-300), as poultry doesn't break down at low temps like pork/beef.
- Give it a blast in the oven at like 400-450 to dry out and colour the skin just before serving/carving.

Fun thing, I use a 40" MES, so have to put the turkey "vertically" (think 15lb beer can chicken), which in fact cooks the turkey faster than in the oven at 350f. The reason is that hot air can actually get into the inside of the turkey (chimney effect) and cook from both directions (in to out + out to in). Kind of freaky the first couple of times.

(I did 2x 15lb turkeys this year for Canadian thanksgiving this year, 1 smoker, 1 oven - the smoker turkey won hands down)

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
What temp did you do the turkey at and for how long? I may shove one in there next month.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

I cranked my MES to it's max (275f), but it's more like 300 at that point from past testing. Took about 3 hours to cook 15lbs. I use a remote probe to gauge for doneness.

Blast the turkey in the oven for 10-15min just before serving for max crispiness and colour of the skin.

The secret to proper juiciness is the dry brine (coarse salt and spices) roughly 48h in advance.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

unknown posted:

The secret to proper juiciness is the dry brine (coarse salt and spices) roughly 48h in advance.

This is accurate no matter the cooking method.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

unknown posted:

I cranked my MES to it's max (275f), but it's more like 300 at that point from past testing. Took about 3 hours to cook 15lbs. I use a remote probe to gauge for doneness.

Blast the turkey in the oven for 10-15min just before serving for max crispiness and colour of the skin.

Thanks. Have been doing a ton of reading over the past few days, and it sounds like the crisping in the oven is key. Will also give the dry brine a shot as well.

Do you thaw fully, then dry brine? Or at the same time?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

unknown posted:

I also have 40" MES. What are you using to keep the bird standing up?

And are you just using the water pan to catch drippings?

How long do you blast it in the oven for?

I may but a bird just to do a dry run of this so I can see if it will be suitable for family dinner on turkey day.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Moey posted:

Thanks. Have been doing a ton of reading over the past few days, and it sounds like the crisping in the oven is key. Will also give the dry brine a shot as well.

Do you thaw fully, then dry brine? Or at the same time?

I buy fresh/non-frozen turkeys, so that means thaw it first for you! (Also, brining won't work on frozen - it needs to work with the liquid in the muscles)

Trastion posted:

I also have 40" MES. What are you using to keep the bird standing up?

And are you just using the water pan to catch drippings?

How long do you blast it in the oven for?

I may but a bird just to do a dry run of this so I can see if it will be suitable for family dinner on turkey day.

While wandering in a kitchen supply store years ago I found what basically is a stainless steel wire frame cone that works perfectly. No idea what it's original/proper task was (maybe a liner for a conical sieve?)

Foiled water pan to catch the juices, then use those to make gravy in a pan on the stove.

Blasting is like 10-15 minutes or so - until it looks nice basically. It's the equiv of putting someone under a broiler for a minute or two.

Edit: I'm being vague on the "blasting" temps because I put it into a wood fired oven (no flames though - 425f?), so don't really have the exact number, but here's probably the only pic of it before it was devoured.

unknown fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 19, 2016

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Nice, thanks. I am not sure if I can get non-frozen turkeys around here but possibly since we have a few large turkey farms on the outskirts of town. Otherwise I will just have to plan ahead and thaw one.

I am hoping to build a wood fired outdoor pizza oven in the spring.

edit: Amazon to the rescue. Turkey Rack for the smoker less than $10 as an add-on item.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Anyone do turkeys in their WSM? I've got a 22.5" and I've been looking at the Weber and cajun bandit rotisseries. They are the same price but the Cajun Bandit model is slightly discounted if I get the pimp kit which also includes a new charcoal ring and door. I'm also shopping for gasket kits since I think I'm losing some serious heat around the edges. suggestions?