Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
With this page, Chapter 5 is now officially longer than Chapter 4. Congrats Chapter 5!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Still hype for hitball.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Kabanaw posted:

With this page, Chapter 5 is now officially longer than Chapter 4. Congrats Chapter 5!
"AND THAT'S THE END OF CHAPTER 4!!! I hope you all enjoyed what will most likely be Paranatural's longest chapter. " :v:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Alt Text: first on-screen character death, historians take note

What were Eightfold and Forge, chopped liver?

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

Paul.Power posted:

What were Eightfold and Forge, chopped liver?

Forge isn't dead and Eightfold was trapped in rock, not killed.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, Eightfold is still alive, imprisoned, unable to escape, destined to stay fused with the rock until destroyed by natural disaster or devoured by a passing malicious spirit.

Much better!

And yeah I am absolutely not following this business with the fly at all, although Zack's art is so fun that it hardly matters. It might actually be funny if it turned out to be an entirely meaningless interaction.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dolash posted:

Yeah, Eightfold is still alive, imprisoned, unable to escape, destined to stay fused with the rock until destroyed by natural disaster or devoured by a passing malicious spirit.

Much better!

Unable to die even though she wishes for it, Eightfold eventually stops thinking.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

RareAcumen posted:

Unable to die even though she wishes for it, Eightfold eventually stops thinking.

But then we'd end up with 36 Eightfold on Mars.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dolash posted:

Much better!

And yeah I am absolutely not following this business with the fly at all, although Zack's art is so fun that it hardly matters. It might actually be funny if it turned out to be an entirely meaningless interaction.
I think she's so frazzled she freaked out and confused the fly for her cocoony spirit friend.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Um guys it's pretty clear she was trying to get her ketchup back why do you guys try so hard when the alt text explains everything

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I too am going to comment on the fact that I don't understand this thing that has not yet been explained

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Dolash posted:

Much better!

Tools can only hold spirits as long as they maintain their original function. For example, if one of the arms of Spender's sunglasses was bent, he could just fix it. If both of the lenses were knocked out of frame, thus rendering the glassess unable to block light from his eyes, the spirit inside would be released.

What I'm getting at is that Eightfold will be released as soon as the book has degraded to the point of unreadability. It will be a boring few weeks, but it's not Hell. The bigger concern is her being able to find another object or person to inhabit.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Ariong posted:

It will be a boring few weeks, but it's not Hell.

The book is encased in rock. That could take a lot longer than a few weeks, and like you say there's no guarantee she finds a new vessel before kicking the bucket.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The question is whether the book was instantly crushed by the rock warping back in place, or not.

In the first case, it's already destroyed. In the second, depending on the nature of the rock at this place, it might very well end up preserved for millennia with minimal damage.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The next chapter will feature a time-skip to the distant space future, where Eightfold becomes the new protagonist after being unearthed by alien archaeologists.

Regy Rusty posted:

I too am going to comment on the fact that I don't understand this thing that has not yet been explained

Welcome to the club.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cat Mattress posted:

The question is whether the book was instantly crushed by the rock warping back in place, or not.

In the first case, it's already destroyed. In the second, depending on the nature of the rock at this place, it might very well end up preserved for millennia with minimal damage.

Or, possibly being made of plant fibers, she could turn into a tiny bit of oil!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Don't spirits slowly regenerate power over time? Not enough to be self sufficient if they use their powers and energy actively, but enough that if they lay dormant for a while, they'll eventually recharge enough to escape their tool?

EDIT: They do.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

neogeo0823 posted:

Don't spirits slowly regenerate power over time? Not enough to be self sufficient if they use their powers and energy actively, but enough that if they lay dormant for a while, they'll eventually recharge enough to escape their tool?

still can't get over that metaphor

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

neogeo0823 posted:

That's ghosts.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Here's your reminder to follow Zack on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/784557574670708736

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

oh god i have been in this exact situation. run max run. :gonk:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what were you singing

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvnIFo3xMfY&t=25s

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

I've always wondered if anyone's tried to cover that live but never enough to go look

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Zarei status: Still a huge dork.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Can someone post that otter yelling "Gayyyyyy"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

We got to see the fly die twice. That seems cruel.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I deeply empathize with the waitress

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
There is no way that the lake in the background is not significant for the story about to be told.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
So i'm a complete moron, what is the significance of the fly?

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Filthy Haiku posted:

We get confirmation that dead bugs have ghosts. That's about it.

Edit: ...I also missed the flyghost getting eaten in panel 5, so... that answers the entire question. What a brick joke.

BlackPersona fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 18, 2016

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The man in the background of the first panel looks like he has two moustaches.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Filthy Haiku posted:

I had great expectations that Zarei's attitude with the fly would find a rational explanation.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I don't like whining about things I actively enjoy, but interrupting an action chase to have an entire date sequence seems like very, very questionable pacing.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Maybe he'll pull a Morbi and it'll turn out this is actually chapter 4.5 and he can't finish chapter 5 until it's done, but once it's all over the date sequence will go in between 4 and 5 in the archives.

Maybe??? :shrug:

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
So far I've seen no reason story-wise for this to break up the pacing of a 4-part wild goose chase and at this point I doubt it will have one. I wouldn't be surprised if Zack hit a wall with the stuff at the school and decided he needed a change of scenery, he's posted before about missing pages because of writer's block.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I just wanna get back to that school store, guys

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Penny confirmed best Paranatural character

I hope Zack drops everything and we can have an inside look in Penny's life in Mayview

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Place your bets on this flashback having a flashback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What was the point of the fly