Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Stringent posted:

Dammit, he found it.

Say goodbye to all productivity in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Stringent posted:

Dammit, he found it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm sorry what????

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Hello Japan thread, I'm going to Japan with a friend for 3 weeks on the 14th, we'll be in Tokyo, Osaka, Hakone, Hiroshima, Kyoto, and Sendai. We're both really into old video games and old arcade games in particular. Any recommendations for arcades with older games that are in the places I listed besides Tokyo (we know where to go in Tokyo)? We're looking for places with lots of games from the mid 80's-late 90's, not really looking to play the latest fighting games or whatever. Also we'll be in a lot of suburban areas going to Hard-Offs for old games and electronics, if you know of similar or better recycle shops to check out that would be a big help too. We're not gonna spend much time at the super potato style places dedicated only to selling used games because from what I understand they're either picked clean now or ridiculously expensive, but if you know of a place that's somehow not like that I'd love to hear about it.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
If that includes older racing games, you'll want to check out Back to the Arcade in Chiba then. It's not too far from Tokyo, but they're generally only open on weekends and even then operating hours can be sporadic. They'll list them on their Facebook and Twitter accounts ahead of time but you kinda need to know Japanese (or know that the red dots on their calendar means they're closed that day).

https://www.facebook.com/%E3%83%90%...45804155713811/
https://twitter.com/b_t_t_arcade

Also for what it's worth, Super Potato is far from picked clean, and there's even a relatively newly established shop in Akihabara called Suruga-ya that has a ton of old and new used games for fair prices, so they're worth a look.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey goons, BURGING out was fun. Time to go back home. Thanks everyone for helping me and suggesting all the good restaurants.

Do take care, and i will be back soon enough.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Going to Japan for my second time at the end of this year (Fly out from Dublin on Dec 23rd, fly back from Tokyo on Jan 23rd) and I wanna try to book tickets for shows that are less tourist-centric. Which means dealing with the notoriously difficult process of trying to buy a ticket when you're not already living in Japan.

Namely, the shows I'd wanna see are:
Either the "Cat's Hole" or the "Stylish Wave Countdown" shows on New Year's Eve for Exist Trace.
http://www.exist-trace.com/live/event/

And the DDT wrestling (apparently they're hilarious, I'm not normally big into wrestling) Christmas Day show. Ticket pre-sale opens in about a week so I'm not sure yet how I can get tickets for that, but other shows have options for buying through Ticket Pia so I guess that's an option?
http://www.ddtpro.com/ddtpro/31134/

The Countdown one for Exist Trace has stuff like e-plus ticketing so I assume there's resellers for that but I'm not sure how the other two work. For Cat's Hole does it just want me to email to say I'll be showing up?

Incidentally, my Japanese is super awful (only recently passed N5), the Countdown show says "open14:30/start15:30 ~終演25時". "25 o'clock" would be an odd translation, does that mean the show runs from 3:30pm right up to 1am? In which case, I'd have to go to the other concert since my friends expect me to do some traditional new year's ceremony stuff with them sadly.

As so long as I'm asking questions I may as well chuck these out there too:
Just how am I meant to book a Christmas KFC and fukubukuro at Shibuya 109 MEN'S?

Thanks for any help!

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So if all goes according to plan, I'm going to be staying in Japan for 1.5 years where one year is studying at university here while the remaining half year will be an internship in my country's embassy in Tokyo. Though the internship still isn't 100% secure, I have all the credentials and academic requirements to be accepted into it and all people of my country that has applied to it from this university I'm attending has been approved, so I'm pretty sure I'll get the internship. Though it is a long time until I will have to search for an apartment in Tokyo, I've heard several things that while Japan has become better (or at least outwardly better) on how they treat foreigners, I heard that racism is still a major issue in the housing market. Is that true, and if so, what are some of your experiences renting an apartment?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

A landlord might just say No Foreigners to the real estate company when they see your hideous gaijin name on the proposed contract. They don't throw cigarette butts at you or anything, you just have to find a different place.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

FWIW I've never had any problems. Landlords in Tokyo seem more concerned with whether or not you'll be able to pay rent, your company name, and your guarantor. Not whether or not you're a gaijin. And if you're working for some embassy it should look stable enough.

Most places you'd actually want to live in will have a management company that handles all of the rental applications etc. on behalf of the owner of the room anyway. You'll likely have zero direct interaction with the landlord. The management company is unlikely to turn you down for being a gaijin due to the reputational risk, especially if it's a decent-sized company. However most contracts do permit the landlord to have the final say. So, worst case scenario, you'll have wasted your time.

Pro tip: If you are even remotely interested in a place, put in an application immediately (like fill it out on the spot, when you go to see it). The market for decent places is competitive and putting in an application commits you to nothing, so you may as well.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

zmcnulty posted:

FWIW I've never had any problems. Landlords in Tokyo seem more concerned with whether or not you'll be able to pay rent, your company name, and your guarantor. Not whether or not you're a gaijin. And if you're working for some embassy it should look stable enough.

Most places you'd actually want to live in will have a management company that handles all of the rental applications etc. on behalf of the owner of the room anyway. You'll likely have zero direct interaction with the landlord. The management company is unlikely to turn you down for being a gaijin due to the reputational risk, especially if it's a decent-sized company. However most contracts do permit the landlord to have the final say. So, worst case scenario, you'll have wasted your time.

Pro tip: If you are even remotely interested in a place, put in an application immediately (like fill it out on the spot, when you go to see it). The market for decent places is competitive and putting in an application commits you to nothing, so you may as well.

Anecdotally cheaper places tend to be harder on foreigners. If you're going for a place for 15+ man in central Tokyo you probably won't have diffficulty. All the stories I hear tend to be from people looking at cheaper places in the suburbs.

So frankly as a student he may well have trouble and get a few rejections.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Yeah now that you mention it, I'm surprised the program doesn't have a dorm or homestay option? Thought those were pretty standard for study abroad/intern abroad programs.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
The biggest problem I see is the short term of stay. It seems that most leases are for two years. So at 18 months they might be stuck in a monthly or with one of the gaijin specialty agencies.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

zmcnulty posted:

Depends on which embassy because diplomats from shittier countries have a history of using diplomatic immunity and not pay rent.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I just booked three tickets for myself, my wife, my daughter to go to Tokyo (NRT) 3/25 - 4/1/17. I think this will be on the early edge of cherry blossom season.

That gives me 7 nights in/around Tokyo.

My first question is how should I split up my trip? I'd like to spend several days in Tokyo and then maybe a side trip somewhere. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
2017 forecast

http://www.kyuhoshi.com/japan-cherry-blossom-forecast/

I have been to Tokyo over 20 times in my life and there's still some new restaurant, area, and place to visit. Granted, my last trip I spent a lot of time going to further places like nokorogiri mountain and kawagoe matsuri.

Standard recommendation is 5 days in Tokyo and 2 days in Nikko. Stay in Hotel Tokugawa. There's a great outdoor bath and the meals they serve are delicious.

In Tokyo, stay at Oakwood Premier

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

photomikey posted:

I just booked three tickets for myself, my wife, my daughter to go to Tokyo (NRT) 3/25 - 4/1/17. I think this will be on the early edge of cherry blossom season.

My first question is how should I split up my trip? I'd like to spend several days in Tokyo and then maybe a side trip somewhere. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

General suggestion for people visiting Japan for the first time is something like half Tokyo, half Kyoto/Nara.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

photomikey posted:

Thank you!

Btw lock down hotels in Tokyo early; it's very crowded in that season

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Is there any truth to the thing that Japanese hotels don't open up bookings until 90 days out?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

photomikey posted:

Is there any truth to the thing that Japanese hotels don't open up bookings until 90 days out?

Definitely the case for some, don't know too much about what exceptions there are.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's true.

Don't be a dumbass like me, make sure you book your hotels before February, I waited like an idiot and then had to scramble to find Airbnbs that weren't out in the sticks or super sketchy.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
There are some that take bookings beyond the 90 day period(some by a whopping extra month!!) but most go by that 3 month period standard. The only way I know of people getting around that is if they go thru a travel agent since some hotels pre-allocate rooms as part of a deal with a particular agency and even then it's not a given.

And yes do it as soon as possible.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hostel bookings don't seem to have that three month limitation and a lot of them have private rooms, if you're having trouble finding anything.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Seems like a lot of places are cancelable without charge up until a week or so out. So I'll probably book something for safety, and then set a calendar reminder for T-minus 90 and see if better stuff opens up.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

photomikey posted:

Seems like a lot of places are cancelable without charge up until a week or so out. So I'll probably book something for safety, and then set a calendar reminder for T-minus 90 and see if better stuff opens up.

This seems like a good idea. I'll do this too. I'm also traveling to japan late march - early april

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I'll be the tall goofy white guy looking at the cherry trees. Wave if you see me!

What does the thread think of something like this:

3/24 - fly to Japan
3/25 - arrive 5pm (Tokyo overnight)
3/26 - Tokyo day 1 (Tokyo overnight)
3/27 - Tokyo day 2 (Tokyo overnight)
3/28 -Tokyo day 3, (Tokyo overnight)
3/29 - train to Kyoto/Osaka (Kyoto/Osaka overnight)
3/30 - Kyoto/Osaka (Kyoto/Osaka overnight)
3/31 - Train to Hiroshima (Hiroshima overnight)
4/1 - Train to Tokyo - 5pm fly home

The traveling contingent are me (40), my wife, and my 7 year old daughter.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

That seems entirely reasonable for a family to see stuff and have fun without getting bored or tired. At this point you should also think about what activities and sights you are most interested in at each location, but you can fit a lot of stuff in I think.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The Hikari shinkansen is a 5.5 hour ride from Hiroshima to Tokyo, so keep that in mind.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

photomikey posted:

I'll be the tall goofy white guy looking at the cherry trees. Wave if you see me!

What does the thread think of something like this:

3/24 - fly to Japan
3/28 -Tokyo day 3, (Tokyo overnight)
3/29 - train to Kyoto/Osaka (Kyoto/Osaka overnight)
3/30 - Kyoto/Osaka (Kyoto/Osaka overnight)
3/31 - Train to Hiroshima (Hiroshima overnight)

The traveling contingent are me (40), my wife, and my 7 year old daughter.

Real talk. Skip Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima unless you're really keen to see them. Head up to Nikko or something in Gunma for an onsen instead.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Stringent posted:

Real talk. Skip Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima unless you're really keen to see them. Head up to Nikko or something in Gunma for an onsen instead.

I'd make the trip out to Kyoto at least (but it's busy season and it's a clusterfuck and a half). I'd save the Hiroshima trip for when your daughter is a bit older and reference for the history of the city.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

Yeah, only scrubs do Kyoto/Tokyo in 7 days. Unless they fly open jaw

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I'd actually agree with only Tokyo/Kyoto only, especially to have an extra Tokyo day, but I would disagree with the Nikko onsen suggestions because a 7 year old will find that immensely boring.

In Kyoto you have Shinkyogoku Shopping Arcade, the Kyoto Railway Museum, the Monkey Park and other stuff.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
i'd skip osaka and hiroshima and just do

3/24 - fly to Japan
3/28 - Tokyo day 3, (Tokyo overnight)
3/29 - train to Kyoto (Kyoto overnight)
3/30 - Kyoto (Kyoto)
3/31 - Kyoto (Kyoto overnight)

this is far more doable with a seven year old, and you still can see a ton of really great stuff in both cities. you're stretching yourself pretty thin with less than two full days in osaka/kyoto, and then a quick jaunt further away to hiroshima, all with a seven year old.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I agree with the post above me and if you get bored of temples you can head for a day to Osaka, Kobe, or Nara to see something else.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The only change I would make to that schedule is to just fly back from Osaka. That saves you the 3 hour train back to Tokyo.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Freaksaus posted:

The only change I would make to that schedule is to just fly back from Osaka. That saves you the 3 hour train back to Tokyo.

Agreeing with this. Unless flights are significantly more expensive you can probably just fly from Osaka.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
i'm going to guess that changing your flight and airport is going to be much more expensive than just taking the shinkansen one way back to tokyo, esp if it is an international flight like tokyo --> boston or some crap.

if you haven't bought the tickets yet though, def. just fly back from osaka.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Definitely visit Nara with a 7 year old. It will probably be a better memory than Kyoto. Kaiyukan Aquarium in Osaka is a great alternative for bad weather (spoiler: hanami season is usually cold and wet.)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

peanut posted:

Definitely visit Nara with a 7 year old. It will probably be a better memory than Kyoto. Kaiyukan Aquarium in Osaka is a great alternative for bad weather (spoiler: hanami season is usually cold and wet.)

I agree, maybe one less day in Tokyo and one more in Kyoto with Nara thrown in. Aquarium is a good call as well.

Hiroshima is beautiful and significant but you don't really have the time for it. Waiting until your daughter is older is best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Nara will be the only thing a 7-year-old girl will ever want to think or talk about for years afterwards, it's a slam dunk.