Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

zen death robot posted:

Boosted_C5 permatoxxed voluntarily for the Trump Toxxers sins. And yeah I wanted to give the ironic joke toxxers a bailout from the obvious tire fire. I won't perma anyone else unless they ask for it.

If God permatoxxed would u ban him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Could god give himself a mod challenge so hard on that even he could not complete it

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
could god goatse himself so hard he tears a hole in time and space which devours the universe?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

A Winner is Jew posted:

could god goatse himself so hard he tears a hole in time and space which devours the universe?

That's actually the milky way.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Let's say we take the senate like 538 thinks we will. How do we get single payer before 2020?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Let's say we take the senate like 538 thinks we will. How do we get single payer before 2020?

2018, you mean?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
If we're gonna image dream scenarios let's imagine liberals vote in the midterms

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
House has to do something besides endless HILLARY PRESIDENT WOMAN BAD hearings.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Bass Bottles posted:

If we're gonna image dream scenarios let's imagine liberals vote in the midterms

a good chunk of the millennials will be into their 30s by 2018 and voter participation starts going up at that point. I like to think we'll do a little better this time! Maybe. :unsmith:

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
I will admit that I'm hopeful. We can't have a whole decade of absolutely ineffective government... right?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

2018 by conventional wisdom is going to be a R win. I don't think it'll be a 2010 style wave, but Rs will reclaim both chambers most likely as the senate is the 2012 class.

However, it depends on two big factors:
1. does the Trump crowd become a third party after this one
2. How effective tying people to Trump becomes.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

We're never getting single payer. Public option & further cost controls is the path we're going to head down.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Necc0 posted:

We're never getting single payer. Public option & further cost controls is the path we're going to head down.

Public Option will likely pave the way to single payer.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

They should convince Trump to run in the midterms.

That would be one way to spread awareness.

If I were Hillary I'd be like "ooohhhh man, I hope Trump doesn't try for congress. That would be soooo baaaaaad!"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bass Bottles posted:

They should convince Trump to run in the midterms.

That would be one way to spread awareness.

If I were Hillary I'd be like "ooohhhh man, I hope Trump doesn't try for congress. That would be soooo baaaaaad!"

Problem is, he could move to a state where he could sliiiiiide right in.

Like I don't know, Montana or WV, depending on how long you have to live there to be able to run.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

since everyone is trying to up the excitement by toxxing for increasingly ridiculous Hillary victories, I'm going to go the other way and :toxx: on McMullin winning Utah

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I think trying to go after this in the 2016-2018 window would be pretty much impossible, even if they manage to retake the House this cycle, which doesn't look likely at this point. For this, the best case scenario would be 2020-2022 and if I'm gonna dream the impossible dream on health-care reform, it'd go something like this:

1) Spends 2016 to 2020 maneuvering to further marginalize the crazyass far-right members of the House, using them as a foil just like Bill did with Newt.
2) Minimizes losses in the House in 2018 and keep the Senate really close, like 50-50 or 51-49. There's basically no way that the Republicans don't control the House from 2018-2020, sorry but it's true.
3) Win control of both chambers in her reelection campaign and undo some of the gerrymandering that happened in 2020 so that there's at least a prayer of keeping the House in midterms.

I think that her best play for 2016-2018 is to go for comprehensive immigration reform and climate change legislation. There's room to bring some of the Republican dealmakers over to those, unlike single payer, which would be a straight party-line vote, and it allows her to get a win, even if she doesn't have control of the House. Both those issues have broad public support, so opposition on the Republican side is useful come re-election time. Between those and getting replacements for Ginsberg, Kennedy, and/or Souter through the Senate, that'd be a pretty drat big win for a first term, and would set her up well for a second-term push for real health-care reform.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

StashAugustine posted:

since everyone is trying to up the excitement by toxxing for increasingly ridiculous Hillary victories, I'm going to go the other way and :toxx: on McMullin winning Utah

Well, one of us will get banned, I toxxed that no third party would win a state. :hfive:

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
Where's the smart money on what's going to happen with the Trump crazies after he loses, like is it going to be Malheur Wildlife Refuge II or what

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

Where's the smart money on what's going to happen with the Trump crazies after he loses, like is it going to be Malheur Wildlife Refuge II or what

A lot of people will whine but they'll stay home. There'll be a couple scuffles, but no shots. Maybe a knife

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Increased violence against minorities, maybe a Malheur or two, but nothing that seriously threatens the government.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I don't think there will be serious riots or anything, but I'm starting to worry about the long-term effects.

Trump is now aggressively driving the narrative that the system is rigged. He has also created the deplorables party. It's not enough to win him this election but it's probably going to snowball into something very ugly over time.

Like, we're all cheering-on the destruction of the GOP, but sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't??? The future is scary.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Bass Bottles posted:

I don't think there will be serious riots or anything, but I'm starting to worry about the long-term effects.

Trump is now aggressively driving the narrative that the system is rigged. He has also created the deplorables party. It's not enough to win him this election but it's probably going to snowball into something very ugly over time.

Like, we're all cheering-on the destruction of the GOP, but sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't??? The future is scary.

This is the kind of stuff I'm starting to worry about as well

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Nah don't fret. His biggest supporters would say it was rigged no matter what but the air is leaving the balloon on this one, just look at his flagging rally attendance

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I changed my avatar when I was really drunk. Is there anyway I can get my Lyin Crooked Hill tag back for perma-toxxing?

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Venom Snake posted:

Is there anyway I can get my Lyin Crooked Hill tag back for perma-toxxing?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

The notion of things being rigged is bigger than Trump, though. People have been cynical about politics for a long time, obviously, but you can't ignore the amping-up of aggression.

It's comforting and feels like common sense to say everything will go back to normal but idk

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Venom Snake posted:

I changed my avatar when I was really drunk. Is there anyway I can get my Lyin Crooked Hill tag back for perma-toxxing?

You know the price bub

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

It will be like the 90s. Most people will settle down but there will be people on the fringe who think the government is coming to get them that could become dangerous (see Waco shooting, Unibomber, Oklahoma City bombing).

Expect conspiracy fiction (X-Files, Dan Brown books, etc.) to come back into vogue too.

Alucard Nacirema has issued a correction as of 23:37 on Oct 16, 2016

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

theflyingexecutive posted:

Nah don't fret. His biggest supporters would say it was rigged no matter what but the air is leaving the balloon on this one, just look at his flagging rally attendance

i can't, they never pan the cameras! So unfair.

Venom Snake posted:

No promises, but I'll think about it.

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx
what instead of the mod challenge I wrote a fan fic orgy of the presidential candidates

because thats what I did

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Bass Bottles posted:

part of the Trump Problem for the GOP is that the gun was either jumped too soon or too late, open fascism has always been the endgame but it fails hard when there's no majority support like the current UK.

all this got dug up too soon or too late and the nazis are flailing like idiots.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Someone I'm tangentially connected to on social media referred to Hillary as Killary so many times that two of those times he spelled it "Killroy."

So when's she's president, what is her equivalent of "Thanks Obama" is she going to get?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

RACHET posted:

what instead of the mod challenge I wrote a fan fic orgy of the presidential candidates

because thats what I did

Is there a cameo of engineersean?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Bast Relief posted:

So when's she's president, what is her equivalent of "Thanks Obama" is she going to get?

I'm pushing for #HillarysAmerica

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Sadly, while Hillary's election is inevitable, it comes far too late for Socks the cat to be in the White House once more. :qq:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Asimo posted:

Sadly, while Hillary's election is inevitable, it comes far too late for Socks the cat to be in the White House once more. :qq:

i hope president hillary gets a new cat so we can have a cat lady as president.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

RACHET posted:

because thats what I did

link or it didn't happen
reading about Scott Walker's dong feels like the perfect way to start a Monday

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Peztopiary posted:

link or it didn't happen
reading about Scott Walker's dong feels like the perfect way to start a Monday

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RACHET